Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2011, 07:48 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default surround sound system advise

Think it belongs in here

Right I currently use my old as hell technics stereo to play my TV/Sky sound through now I want to get rid of it and buy a proper system

I have the following items that I need to use with a new system

PS3 (slim)
Sky + (normal white box one that uses a scart but does have optical out)
HDTV 1080p (has 3 HDMI ports)

I use the PS3 as a blu ray player so dont want one of these all in one systems

Ive done some digging and found this http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3447-onky...a-package.aspx what are your thoughts and any other ideas budget wise its about £400 theres a thread in AV forums that says there a great system at that price, would this do the job

I just want a decent sound as TV speakers are rubbish. wireless speakers would also be a bonus but I bet they cost a fair bit.

Thanks
Old 24 December 2011, 08:20 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Richersounds have a few bargins and most stores will have demo rooms you can hear the kit. like below.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...ion-vsx521-blk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...ann-sfx5.1-blk
Old 24 December 2011, 08:34 PM
scoobyverysoon

Thanks - yes think I will pop into one and get some advice

God these things have a lot of options on
Old 24 December 2011, 08:52 PM
Flight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PS3 will do the HD sound decoding itselfb for blu-rays, so you don't need all the super-duper HD features on the amp.
Old 01 January 2012, 01:46 PM
scoobyverysoon

update I had a few demos in Richer sounds and i went for this in the end http://www.richersounds.com/product/...ky-txnr609-blk

speaker wise its looking like the Tannoy SFX 5.1

Will upgrage them to a 7.1 set at a later date. not many moves out with 7.1 sound as yet

im just waiting for my leads to come then will get the speakers as ive got a VIP voucher

I found the silver set cheaper on the net but I want black
Old 01 January 2012, 02:08 PM
MRSIMPSON
Scooby Regular

Well done a great amp, didn't leave a lot of money to budget for your speakers though

I would think those Tannoys aren't really up to the job, the amp you've bought is a monster.

Try and listen to these:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-9762-q-ac...r-package.aspx
Old 01 January 2012, 02:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Good call: The onkyo amps are pretty good value for money. But their speakers aren't so brilliant. Just a word of warning....these amps are HUGE!

So Onkyo amp + other brand speaker package = win. But I think you should push for some bigger speakers though, unless you need them to be wife/gf freindly

Don't know what the SFX is like but I have the Tannoy HTS101s and as good as they are, I'm still missing that 'big speaker sound' (sorry, best way I can describe it, it lacks the deep vocals and struggles on two channel music ).

Wish I had a NR (network) model now (bought a SR608 instead)...as the media streaming thats built into my TV is pants.

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 January 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01 January 2012, 02:24 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

The Boston Soundware SX 5.1 SE pack would go really well with your Onkyo. Don't bother with the Tannoys as they aren't up to the job for the AVR you have chosen.
Old 01 January 2012, 03:00 PM
scoobyverysoon

Yeah it is a big bugga Ive some plans for my living room so im stuck really on the size of speakers the tannoys get great reviews I could do with listening to the other suggestions

the wife is going to kill me

Thanks
Old 01 January 2012, 03:09 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the previous version of those Tannoys and they were not that great. I have a set of Quad Lites and have been very pleased with them. My amp is Harmon Kardon AVR255 which never had the best of reviews but was streets ahead of the Denon 1910 I had for all of 5 minutes which got 5 stars from What HiFi. Dont put much faith in mag reviews after that.
Old 01 January 2012, 03:34 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I just bought the little brother, onkyo tx-sr309. Got it from richer sounds for £169, seems like a nice bit of kit for the money. Also does iPod connection with full menu/control too which was a nice surprise.

I'm using some bookshelf wharfdale speakers for front and the rest are old lg surround speakers which I intend to replace.

Only thing is my sub was a passive one so I've had to use my Cambridge amp just to power my sub. I'll be going for some rear cube speakers and an active sub as soon as my wallet cools down.

Last edited by jameswrx; 01 January 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01 January 2012, 03:37 PM
scoobyverysoon

How about these I cant really look at going over £400 shes going to flip at the cost of these

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz...01.shtml?fshop

Last edited by scoobyverysoon; 01 January 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01 January 2012, 04:58 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^^what he says. I've the onkyo 607 running with Q acoustic 1010i speaker set up. Been very happy. Don't forget most stuff plays in5.1 not much stuff plays in 7.1
Old 01 January 2012, 05:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Sometimes 7.1 helps if you have an odd room layout - even with a 5.1 or prologic source. The 7.1 makes it much more flexible in speaker layout and seating position.

For exmaple, my lounge has the TV in the corner, with my sweetspot viewing position (reclining sofa ) being diagonally opposite, so the speaker layout is almost like a diamond pattern (TV and LCR at the top peak, surrounds are either side of sofas in the corners, and rears at the bottom peak). The extra two rear speaker (only some old 2-way surround speakers off our old telly) really does help fill the 'sound hole' that I was getting with the traditional 5.1 setup when sat in certain listening positions.
Old 01 January 2012, 09:07 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

hotdealsuk has a Yamaha av amp for £186 and I bet you could get some Kef eggs cheap, you wouldn't have a sub but you could budget that in later.
Old 01 January 2012, 09:13 PM
scoobyverysoon

Hi Steve I already have my amp now ite just the speakers im trying to sort out im currently looking at AV forums for some ideas for a £400 budget
Old 01 January 2012, 10:12 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
The Boston Soundware SX 5.1 SE pack would go really well with your Onkyo. Don't bother with the Tannoys as they aren't up to the job for the AVR you have chosen.

you genuinely can't get better than these brand new for under £350. No point looking elsewhere.
Old 01 January 2012, 10:15 PM
Ati@asworld
Former Sponsor

£400 you can get them but my speakers a lone cost £1000 for my surround
Old 01 January 2012, 11:42 PM
scoobyverysoon

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
you genuinely can't get better than these brand new for under £350. No point looking elsewhere.

i thought that but ive my eye on these http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz...01.shtml?fshop

I would get devoiced if I spent a grand on speakers lol im pushing it now
Old 01 January 2012, 11:53 PM
Ati@asworld
Former Sponsor

mine are acoustic energy evo 3 and denon av
Old 02 January 2012, 10:52 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
Hi Steve I already have my amp now ite just the speakers im trying to sort out im currently looking at AV forums for some ideas for a £400 budget
I would just look at somewhere like Richer Sounds where they will sell older models cheaper. Im sure you could get a nice set of speakers and a cheap sub in your budget.
Old 02 January 2012, 02:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I've been e-browsing again - If I was doing this lot again right now: This is what I'd be tempted to do:

Buy 2 pairs of these satelites (£39.95): http://www.richersounds.com/product/...0/whar-9.0-blk (bit naughty that RS are selling them as pairs in the HiFi section as the Diamond 9.0s are A/V speakers not Hifi )

One of these for £99 http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2734-whar...e-speaker.aspx (Or this which is better suited for £149.95: http://www.richersounds.com/product/.../whar-10cm-blk )

And this sub (£129.95): http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2738-whar...subwoofer.aspx

That will give you a 5.1 setup that should equal the Tannoy HTS101 for just £308.85 (or £359.80 if you go for the better centre speaker)!

Then this leaves scope to have a pair of these as front left/right speaker, should you wish something a bit better for 2.1 music or 7.1 for £119.95: http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2442-whar...kers-pair.aspx

That gives a full 7.1 setup for just £489.75 (or £428.80 if you go for the weaker/smaller centre speaker)!!!

Or just get another pair of diamond 9.0s: at 39.95 a pair they are a bargain wven if you need to spec up a seperate sub and centre! However the Diamond 9.1s are far better fuller range speakers than what you get in most a/v packages, so if you decide to use for music, I'd go for the 9.1s for the front L+R channels, they are quite a bit bigger though.)

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 January 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02 January 2012, 02:23 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

check out Superfi too at their sale items

http://www.superfi.co.uk/c-16-sale.aspx
Old 02 January 2012, 02:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Actually thinking about it, for 3 pairs of diamond 9.0s at£39.95 a pair you can have 7.1 for just £348.8 or £399.75!! (inc sub and centre) Thats a bargain even if you need to spec up a seperate sub and centre!

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 January 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02 January 2012, 02:38 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I remember when the diamond 9's were 200 quid a pair as I bought Full set ofcelestion speakers at the same time and they are used on a smaller av setup in another room.
Old 02 January 2012, 02:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by stevebt
I remember when the diamond 9's were 200 quid a pair as I bought Full set ofcelestion speakers at the same time and they are used on a smaller av setup in another room.
Diamond 9.1s?

Can't knock Wharfedales diamonds. I've got a pair of 7.1s on the PC and two pairs Diamond 3s that were banished from the living room.

Just don't mix them up with the 9.0 and 10.0 lines as they are small 4" cone surround speakers (so are much cheaper). The 9.1 and 10.1 are full range 6.5" cone bookshelfers, so quite a big difference in power and frequency range.

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 January 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02 January 2012, 03:47 PM
scoobyverysoon

Some good choices there some peeps in AV forums give good rewiews on the wharfedales

I wanted to get to RS today to look at a few sets but not had chance

My chimney install is delaying my buying of the speakers as im unsure on what size I can fit in

Hopefully got a m8 coming round to get my chimney plan underway

I dont fancy mixing things up if its going to produce the same equal sound, like I say for stero music im not too bothered as we only watch TV and films the parrot likes the radio on all day

The Tannoy HTS101 as still looking like the favourites as yet

I keep changing my mind so many good sets about
Old 03 January 2012, 09:22 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flight
The PS3 will do the HD sound decoding itselfb for blu-rays, so you don't need all the super-duper HD features on the amp.
That's a bit of a daft comment - 80% of his time will be spent watching Sky TV

I looked around at what packages the on line retailers were offering.
I researched the amp and speaker package and made a choice after that.
In the end I went for a Denon 7.1 amp with a Q Acoustics 1010i speaker 5.1 package.
Old 03 January 2012, 12:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon

I dont fancy mixing things up if its going to produce the same equal sound, like I say for stero music im not too bothered as we only watch TV and films the parrot likes the radio on all day
Shouldn't really be an issue as the Onkyo's Audessey setup mic will compensate for it. And generally speaking it is acceptable to have bigger Left and Right Channel front speakers.

But if its too much concern; Just stick with the Diamond 9.0 for everything....thats what the Diamond 9HCP system is made up of. The matching centre would be a 9.CC and sub would be a Diamond SW150. Modern equivelents of both are the 10.cc and Diamond 10.MX - very little difference as the centre unit is identical to the older model - same size drivers, same size enclosers, same frequenecy responses etc.

The main exception is the 10.mx sub which is downwards firing as oposed to side firing on the sw150...but thats better as its less directional. And it has a USB connector for wireless use (don't know how that works though - probably needs a transmitter unit which is extra).

FWIW, I'm planning on eventually replacing the front and centre of my HTS101 system with some slim array speakers, as its crying out for more front-end oomph. But I'm not allowed to have the space for bigger speakers . (hence the need for array speakers...load of little 2" drivers in a tall+thin enclosure)

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 January 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: surround sound system advise