NHS-lottery winner!

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2011, 06:17 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NHS-lottery winner!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ng-a-baby.html

This seems a little generous for someone who is on 90K a year IMO.
Old 19 December 2011, 07:16 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do we really need the word Woman in the title ?

"Woman doctor wins £4.5 million for being fired after having a baby"
Old 19 December 2011, 10:09 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me get this right. She got £1.1million in loss of earnings, fair enough but £2.7million for injury to feeling
WTF!?! 2.7 million cos they hurt her feelings, boo hoo.

"He said his wife could no longer do everyday tasks and was unlikely to fully recover." Good job everyone doesn't go into meltdown when they lose their job cos people get fired everyday.
Old 19 December 2011, 10:27 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

£1.1million in loss of earnings!

at 90k a year she would have needed to be suspended/unemployed for around 12 years in order to acrue that amount in lost earnings.
Old 19 December 2011, 10:31 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

well she left in 2003 and can't work anymore cos she needs to have a cry about stuff.
Never mind hospitals are closing and down and people are dying waiting for operations cos the nhs hasn't got enough money.
Old 19 December 2011, 10:36 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonNedly
"He said his wife could no longer do everyday tasks and was unlikely to fully recover."
Milking the system just like all the other scum. Only she is actually educated enough to get a good job.
Old 19 December 2011, 10:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
Milking the system just like all the other scum. Only she is actually educated enough to get a good job.

Agreed. The real reason why she doesn't go back to work is mainly because no such position exists which allows her to work part time....which typically what happens after the maternity leave expires. Unfortunate fact of life is that if someone wants a job to be flexible around family life they have to take a salary cut (men included).

I wonder how long she held that position before falling pregnant? This would be really interesting to know. I have a suspicion it was only a few years....hence the resentment (i.e an employer spends months finding the right person for the job, only to lose them and mess everything up a year down the line) Or it could be she wasn't that good at her job or had an attitude issue, but not in a way she could be dismissed legally.

IMO it about time the law was changed so that loss of earning could only be held to account on the basis that the person within reason should be able to find alternate employment within 12months - and must prove that by seeking/getting alternate employment. Even if its Mc Donalds, unless serious physical injury prevents them doing so (and even the wheelchair bound can work).

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 December 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 19 December 2011, 11:20 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Aww, boo hoo, any sympathy I had evaporated when I read she was awarded 4.5 million pounds, ok if someone is wronged and lost income then they deserve some compensation but this is bigger than most lottery wins, she will never have to work again and the money was awarded from the money we pay in tax, personally I don't want to make people rich like this when soldiers who lose limbs and get other life changing injuries get dicked left right and centre by the system and people set up charities to help them. I think basically if you are female and get to a high position in the medical, law or police professions and someone slaps your ****, calls you love or otherwise demeans you slightly you can go off sick for a couple of years and then get a massive payout. One of our neighours got retired in her early forties from a government job on medical grounds but is actually perfectly able, don't see why we retire people and pay them off like this when they can still contribute.

Nobody, regardless of gender should have to put up with abuse, bullying or whatever but also, nobody should get that kind of payout, why award anything other than the salary, pension and a token amount.
Old 19 December 2011, 11:21 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

PS. IF this woman gets £4.5 million then how much compensation should come our way for the following:

My aunt:
a) being left in a hallway in a bed peding treatment.
b) being left in said bed without means to call for aid, (no call button)
c) being left in a bed unsuitable for prupose (no guard rails)
d) the damage she incurred for breaking her hip when she fell out of said bed
e) after repairing broken hip assuming she was immobile (when she was quite agile for her age) and thus giving her zero physio - which was essential to full recovery, this f**k up caused her to be bed-bound
f) the care expenses because she is now bed bound
g) the health complications because she is now bed bound (lack of mobilty basically causes the body to slowly shut down)
h) after all that; ignoring teh whole reason why she was admitted to hosiptal in the first place! and discharging her without any treatment for it.
i) the mental suffering she incurred through all this. At the end, she effetively gave up on life - all because of a bed and the lack of a nurse!

The GP who failed not once, but on four seprate vists to diagnose kidney failure with my Grandad - what was treatable!! - had it been diagnosed in time. GP wrote him off as 'getting old'

Then we have my mum who: Was left for several weeks in the incorrect bed with a fractured spine before anyone noticed - making the injuries worse!

The GP who said fluid build-up on her knees was 'just fat' (it wasn't)

My dad who: had a shattered ankle that needed an immediate operation and spent the WHOLE DAY in agnony waiting for a X-ray because some dimwit put him on low priority, after which time it was too swollen to operate. To add insult putting him in a nutcase ward as there were no space in the orthopedics wards.

My cousin who was told she had a broken ankle after a minor fall......only later to be found NOT to be broken.

Do I need to go on? Thats just the tip of iceburg of what the NHS has done to my family!

So how about some compensation to my family for all the above!! Two avoidable deaths because of the NHS. Not to mention the unnecessary suffering.

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 December 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 19 December 2011, 12:17 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Ali-B i know exactly where you are coming from.

It took them 2 years to diagnose my dad had colon cancer despite numerous scans and examinations and by the time they found it it was too late for him.
His treatment in hospital was shocking, he was left for 7 hours screaming and shaking in agony and still a doctor wouldn't see him and he was offered nothing more than paracetemol by a nurse. This happened on more than one occasion. They caused him untold pain and suffering without any dignity and they are the reason he died at only 63.

I could go into a lot more horrifying detail and its a very similar story for 3 other members of my close family.
Where is my lottery win?
Old 19 December 2011, 01:12 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

'she is not planning to return to work.'

No sh*t,Sherlock.
Old 19 December 2011, 07:02 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

words fail me.
Old 19 December 2011, 07:41 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Who the **** would spunk in that dog!
Old 19 December 2011, 08:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Do we really need the word Woman in the title ?

"Woman doctor wins £4.5 million for being fired after having a baby"
Man doctor wins £4.5 million for being fired after having a baby

Doesn't quite read properly if I'm honest.

Good lawyer and weak NHS trust. Not a bad haul.
Old 19 December 2011, 08:40 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Before or after she got the 4.5 million ?
Old 20 December 2011, 12:43 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

They know who the senior medical and staff personnel are who acted illegally - so why should the NHS pay. The culprits should be identified and made to pay the £4.5 million.
Old 20 December 2011, 05:32 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
PS. IF this woman gets £4.5 million then how much compensation should come our way for the following:

My aunt:
a) being left in a hallway in a bed peding treatment.
b) being left in said bed without means to call for aid, (no call button)
c) being left in a bed unsuitable for prupose (no guard rails)
d) the damage she incurred for breaking her hip when she fell out of said bed
e) after repairing broken hip assuming she was immobile (when she was quite agile for her age) and thus giving her zero physio - which was essential to full recovery, this f**k up caused her to be bed-bound
f) the care expenses because she is now bed bound
g) the health complications because she is now bed bound (lack of mobilty basically causes the body to slowly shut down)
h) after all that; ignoring teh whole reason why she was admitted to hosiptal in the first place! and discharging her without any treatment for it.
i) the mental suffering she incurred through all this. At the end, she effetively gave up on life - all because of a bed and the lack of a nurse!

The GP who failed not once, but on four seprate vists to diagnose kidney failure with my Grandad - what was treatable!! - had it been diagnosed in time. GP wrote him off as 'getting old'

Then we have my mum who: Was left for several weeks in the incorrect bed with a fractured spine before anyone noticed - making the injuries worse!

The GP who said fluid build-up on her knees was 'just fat' (it wasn't)

My dad who: had a shattered ankle that needed an immediate operation and spent the WHOLE DAY in agnony waiting for a X-ray because some dimwit put him on low priority, after which time it was too swollen to operate. To add insult putting him in a nutcase ward as there were no space in the orthopedics wards.

My cousin who was told she had a broken ankle after a minor fall......only later to be found NOT to be broken.

Do I need to go on? Thats just the tip of iceburg of what the NHS has done to my family!

So how about some compensation to my family for all the above!! Two avoidable deaths because of the NHS. Not to mention the unnecessary suffering.
Yeah but Ali, your pursuit for justice, monetary or otherwise, would be smothered by the red tape due to the lack of money you could throw at it, or any interest by the media(one dead old person is much the same as another, unless the Sun is targetting the NHS this week, instead of Little Mix). Whereas she can throw a lot of money at it, or even perhaps her story is so sellable that a lawyer would represent her for free in return for the publicity.
Sad state of affairs when the human life is worth so little, yet the feelings of a doctor who could walk into a job in a heartbeat is valued so highly.
Old 20 December 2011, 05:46 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
Before or after she got the 4.5 million ?
Old 20 December 2011, 05:58 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

A mongrel child of .........

and