Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Solution to city centre car park charges and empty high street shops

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2011, 09:52 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution to city centre car park charges and empty high street shops

As you all probably know the report published yesterday into what the high streets can do to get shoppers to come back highlighted the fact that city/town centres charge for parking whereas out of town retail parks don't.

On Radio 5 Live last night there was some bell end local council representative whose name I didn't catch (luckily for him) who seriously suggested the government make it law that the out of town retail parks should charge for parking to level the playing field......wtf????

How can someone like that have a job with any sort of responsibility as they are clearly so out of touch with reality that they cannot be of use to the planet???

Last edited by f1_fan; 14 December 2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 14 December 2011, 09:56 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could see even more doing online shopping if that happened..
Old 14 December 2011, 09:59 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
As you all probably know the report published yesterday into what the high streets can do to get shoppers to come back highlighted the fact that city/town centres charge for parking whereas out of town retail parks don't.

On Radio 5 Live last night there was some bell end local council representative whose name I didn't catch (luckily for him) who seriously suggested the government make it law that the out of town retail parks should charge for parking to level the paying field......wtf????

How can someone like that have a job with any sort of responsibility as they are clearly so out of touch with reality that they canot be of use to the planet???
Find him,then shoot him.
Old 14 December 2011, 10:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I can see it now.....When everyone then chooses to stay at home because its cheaper to buy online than it is to drive to and park at a shopping centre or town to do their shopping....

He'll demand that we should pay to park our ***** on the chair/sofa we use to sit infront of the computer when shopping online .

I declare open season on these idiots. This one would look splendid stuffed and mounted above a fireplace in a wood lined hunting lodge.
Old 14 December 2011, 10:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Seriously, can you expect him to say ANYTHING else?

Local councils are thick and greedy. They have levied car-parking charges, and put the money into the budget so now THEY can't do without it

It's a bit like governments who try to tax things like smoking, drinking and car usage out of existence: it'll only work if THAT tax is in a seperate pot and not the overall pot, or you end up, in a situation where on the one hand you deplore smoking, but on the other, you need the revenue from it

Only politicians could get into these sort of holes, and these are the same people who run our councils and our governmnent: THICK AND GREEDY!

They should all be required to have that tattooed prominently!
Old 14 December 2011, 10:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I used to live near a smallish town in Sussex. First of all they spent millions on an over engineered bypass which killed any chance of visitors to the town centre and then they hired a private company to charge for parking and let them use an office overlooking the car park and they jump out and clamp anyone who goes to a shop to get some change for the meter. Destroyed all hope for the town.

dl
Old 14 December 2011, 10:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

But I bet the company made dosh and some of that will find it's way into greedy councillors' pockets, allegedly
Old 14 December 2011, 11:24 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I think it was Question Time on Sunday or Monday, I was too busy recovering from the alcohol intake both days so I cant recall exactly what programme I was watching but the idea is supposed to be the Council provide free parking for at least an hour in town to compete with the Supermarkets so that the locals can take a walk into town and buy the stuff they need off the high street. Not the other way around
Old 14 December 2011, 11:44 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by davegtt
I think it was Question Time on Sunday or Monday, I was too busy recovering from the alcohol intake both days so I cant recall exactly what programme I was watching but the idea is supposed to be the Council provide free parking for at least an hour in town to compete with the Supermarkets so that the locals can take a walk into town and buy the stuff they need off the high street. Not the other way around
Not working in our neck of the woods. Morrisons are charging you to park, as all the car parks around are Council owned. But, Morrisons give you the parking money back when you pay for your shopping
The Council have also trebled the parking charges, so win win for Morrisons. They are getting loads in for shopping and the Council car parks are empty
Old 14 December 2011, 11:45 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by alcazar
Seriously, can you expect him to say ANYTHING else?

Local councils are thick and greedy. They have levied car-parking charges, and put the money into the budget so now THEY can't do without it

It's a bit like governments who try to tax things like smoking, drinking and car usage out of existence: it'll only work if THAT tax is in a seperate pot and not the overall pot, or you end up, in a situation where on the one hand you deplore smoking, but on the other, you need the revenue from it

Only politicians could get into these sort of holes, and these are the same people who run our councils and our governmnent: THICK AND GREEDY!

They should all be required to have that tattooed prominently!
Agreed. It's a sorry situation.

It doesn't shock me that this sort of suggestion should come to light. If people are to be encouraged into towns/cities, the cost to get there should be lowered or encouragement to park and ride etc. But, as per another thread, some areas are ruined already by the massive influx of betting shops, charity shops, cash for gold/cash converters/brighthouse type stores, so the addition of parking charges out of town, wouldn't draw people back to the 'high street' anyway. My nearest town is just like this and if I didn't work there, I'd rarely go (only to pop to Tesco). There are few other shops other than the type above, there is so little choice and variety, I'm surprised people do bother to come. Although, they are making a mega tescos to replace the small one and I believe other retail space is up for grabs, so in the next couple of years we'll see if it improves the town centre. What I would say, is parking charges aren't that bad (although there isn't alot) but that's probably because they need to keep them down in the hope anyone will come.

City centre parking is a different matter, but to be honest, even if I was a driver, I wouldn't fancy trying to navigate around there and get parked up. Given I don't drive, it's actually cheaper and easier for me to go into the city than get to out of town parks and there is much more choice for smaller items. If I needed something larger that I couldn't manage myself on public transport, I'd just wait until the other half was off and go out of town. And truthfully, even if they started charging for parking, I'd still probably go there as parking tends to be quite close to the shops.

Councils seem to have this approach of never solving a problem, just shaft people more as they go.
Old 14 December 2011, 11:54 PM
Lisawrx

Oh, and sorry for ranting but another thing. It wasn't all that long ago we were being told not to be taking cars into towns/cities due to congestion and the likes (maybe more aimed at workers), now they want us back..... In no time, there'll end up being more and more congestion charges popping up around the country as well.

I'm quite thick in the grand scheme of things, but I think I could even do a better job of tackling this problem than these people probably earning a fortune who don't actually seem to have a clue.
Old 15 December 2011, 07:38 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

It'd be a brave town that scrapped parking fee's altogether, but interesting to see the results... I stopped popping into town once my favourite car park started charging £5 for the first 2 hours....
Old 15 December 2011, 08:12 AM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Angry

i have a shop in a town centre, and i can honestly say that my local council are the biggest bunch of incompetent, useless, hindering jobsworths I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

the town centre survives despite them, not because of them!

the town i live in desperately needs updating, needs an indoor shopping mall, so what do they build, a ****in 'arts centre'. a vast empty space that serves no use to anyone. they make parking a nightmare, charge extortionate amounts for business rates, you can never get anyone 'responsible' on the end of the phone etc etc.

if these council ****wits worked in the private sector, they would never last. the beardy , cardy wearing cyclists should be sacked from their cushy little jobs and fat pensions!
Old 15 December 2011, 08:28 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

And to follow on from the westminster Council imposition in January of evening single yellow parking ban and £4.80 hour charges, Camden are now considering it !,
Old 15 December 2011, 09:19 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Isn't that always the way, point out that A costs nothing yet B costs something & they always attempt to charge for A rather than make B free

TX.
Old 15 December 2011, 09:39 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Our local council decided to build its offices in a prime town centre location - you know the place where the best shops should have been.

They've got a big car park for the council staff but because they've run out of money the staff are being told to park in the free car park and shoppers told to park in the council car park and pay.

If you have time, check out your council offices - if they are anything like the ones in Wales they will all be less than 10 years old and be absolutely enormous. Theres a few in Wales that look like bloody castles - and yet most workers are being told to work from home to save money.

Saving the high street - well lets ask the queen of shops - whose most recent venture has gone under I hear.

She was on BBC breakfast and every single word out of her mouth completely missed the f*cking point. All about retailers having to move with the times and stuck in the 60s? WTF? Try crippling business rates, try greedy landlords still expecting "the good times" asking prices to be paid and not prepared to move on price. Try corrupt councils allowing out of town retailers with all the back handers to grease the wheels at the expense of the high street.

That is where the problem lies - with idiots like her advising the government we are never going to save the high street.
Old 15 December 2011, 09:39 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray T
And to follow on from the westminster Council imposition in January of evening single yellow parking ban and £4.80 hour charges, Camden are now considering it !,
Terrible.

It does make you wonder what these councils are trying to achieve,they have obviously never heard the saying cutting off the hand that feeds you.
City roads are a nightmare also,yet retail parks are fairly easy to get too in comparison to driving into the City.Parking is FREE so it attracts more people to come and shop,and they don't have to worry about returning to a parking fine,which also puts you in a relaxed mood to go and shop more because you haven't got the worry of parking charges.

And as for public transport.
Old 15 December 2011, 09:40 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
S

I can go 1 better than this! My old council has a piece of land for sale at a snip of a £20m price tag.

This £20m is already accounted for in 2012's budget! I really hope it doesn't sell, or sell on time.
Old 15 December 2011, 09:46 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
My local town also charges an arm and a leg for parking. Therefore I park in a residential street and walk. Good exercise. Bet the people who live on the street don't like it but then they should com plain to the council.

What should happen is that every year there should be a national referendum on the "budget" for the following year. Rather than the government of the day setting the budget based on a) which corporates have greased enough palms and b) the social engineering policies of the party in power the electorate should decide. And one of the options should be outright rejection of it, rather than the 'do you want council tax to rise by 10% or only 5% and watch all the lickle children die'-type referendums we get locally. That way the people are in control, as it's the money that's mainly to blame for most of the ire shown towards politicians. If they really had to spend money as WE wanted they'd be s little more careful.

Dave
people did this in the town local to me,parked in a residential street instead of having to pay.Can't do it anymore though,residents parking only signs have gone up throughout the street,which you can understand some getting p1ssed off if you live on the road and need to park..
Old 15 December 2011, 09:51 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

A small bit of relief http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16193556 , but westminister have been taking the p*** for ages I.E. charging motorbikes/scooters to park, so much for reducing congestion they cannot be reasoned with, I think it may be time for "central government" to have a veto power on these local power hungry out of touch "people".
Old 15 December 2011, 09:57 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
It'd be a brave town that scrapped parking fee's altogether, but interesting to see the results... I stopped popping into town once my favourite car park started charging £5 for the first 2 hours....
Blimey, that robbery! My local town charges £1.30 for 2 hours, though it is just a small market town (Oakham), and the also have quite a few free (1 hour limit) on-street parking spaces which helps.
Old 15 December 2011, 09:58 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by DYK
people did this in the town local to me,parked in a residential street instead of having to pay.Can't do it anymore though,residents parking only signs have gone up throughout the street,which you can understand some getting p1ssed off if you live on the road and need to park..
The same problem is happening where I live. People parking up all day so they can commute into town for work. The solution is that more and more streets are becoming permit parking only, and the council is charging residents for the priviledge.
Old 15 December 2011, 10:09 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Dave know what your saying, but westminister has artificially kept the council tax very low, and it has hit home this year in as much they are running out of money. I had an inkling of the parking Judicial Review last night, as the GF had to Threaten westminister head of legal yesterday with being called to court, "they" were all in legal meeting all day yesterday trying sort out the "council leaders" gross mishandlling of the parking situation.
Ps GF has nothing to do with the parking but was trying to get a child protection order in place and westminister did'nt "consider" it important. She did get them out and got the order sorted.
Old 15 December 2011, 10:25 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

My home town's centre too has been killed by its council.
Application after application has been turned down for some shops to move into the area and inject some life and some visitors back into the town; Staples, M&S Food, Waterstones, and several others all desperately needed. The problem is that many of the people on the application board already have shops and don't want the competition - there's not a single dedicated book shop in the town centre except for one, and it just happens to be owned by a council member.
Old 15 December 2011, 10:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I suppose all we can do is to vote all those councillors out next time. Not that the next lot would be any better. but they might well get the message!

Les
Old 15 December 2011, 11:09 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Oh, and sorry for ranting but another thing. It wasn't all that long ago we were being told not to be taking cars into towns/cities due to congestion and the likes (maybe more aimed at workers), now they want us back..... In no time, there'll end up being more and more congestion charges popping up around the country as well.

I'm quite thick in the grand scheme of things, but I think I could even do a better job of tackling this problem than these people probably earning a fortune who don't actually seem to have a clue.
You probably could do a better job .

During this time of mass pedestrianisation and ban the car from the highstreet mantra, I was working in the services industry. That included contracts with highstreet chains and franchises such as Specsavers.

Now try parking a van anywhere near a highstreet Specsavers. I'm banned from loading areas (if there is one) by overzeleous security guards and I can't park outside as its double yellow or pedestrianised. What am I to do to be able to work?

The only way I could work was to empty the entire contents of the van of all the tools for the job. This could be a A-ladders, extendable ladders, 20kg bottle of nitrogen, vac pump, bottle of R22, recovery bottle, recovery unit, scales, pressure sprayers, Henry, plus a load of other tools and consumables. Client isn't very happy as I'm hogging their storage areas, asking for change for a fiver/tenner/twenty before I dissapear for the best part of an hour whilst I try to find somewhere legal to park long stay that dosn't have a height restriction in a unfamiliar town. Then I try to find my way back on foot and end up walking the wrong/long way (pedestrianised, remeber). Then sods law dictates I need somthing that I accidentally left in the van. Sometimes it was better just to park it on the pavement and let the warden ticket the van (unless they start clamping).

I'm so glad I'm out of that game now.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 December 2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 15 December 2011, 11:31 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

On Radio 5 Live last night there was some bell end local council representative whose name I didn't catch (luckily for him) who seriously suggested the government make it law that the out of town retail parks should charge for parking to level the playing field......wtf????

How can someone like that have a job with any sort of responsibility as they are clearly so out of touch with reality that they cannot be of use to the planet???
The clue here is the "local council" bit. Sheltered work shop for the well-meaning.
You know what I am going to say next...

It's socialism gone mad!
Old 15 December 2011, 11:43 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
The clue here is the "local council" bit. Sheltered work shop for the well-meaning.
You know what I am going to say next...

It's socialism gone mad!
LOL

But surely charging people more and more is capitalism gone mad

Quick Reply: Solution to city centre car park charges and empty high street shops