Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are shops too warm during this period of mild UK weather?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2011, 01:12 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are shops too warm during this period of mild UK weather?

Seems to me they could save a few bob on heating if they knocked the thermostats down a couple of notches and closed their doors. Even my wife commented on this and she likes the heat.
I know they have to consider their employees but even so.

Last edited by Mouser; 22 November 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 22 November 2011, 02:17 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mouser
Seems to me they could save a few bob on heating if they knocked the thermostats down a couple of notches and closed their doors. Even my wife commented on this and she likes the heat.
I know they have to consider their employees but even so.
Don't think it's to help employees. If you think it's warm when just walking around shopping, think about what it is like to work in, rushing about, working stock etc.

I have asked countless times for the heating to be turned down at work and we just get told it has to be warm enough for customers. It makes no difference telling them that even the customers feel the same as us. Management don't see the problem as they spend so little time on the floor and when they are, they are rarely as physically active as the rest of us.
Old 22 November 2011, 02:36 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

It's ridiculous because if it's cold outside you have to wear warm clothes and/ or a coat anyway so soon get over-heated in shops. My OH detests shopping at the best of times but if the shop is too warm he just walks straight out.
When I worked in a post office it was very uncomfortable (think bars of chocolate melting on the shelves it was so hot) but the managers would not listen to us at all, because we had regular customers who came in every week we asked them to write and complain knowing the management would listen to them if they thought they would lose sales.
Old 22 November 2011, 02:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

How about just shutting the front doors?

Having worked on the a/c in alot of shops. One huge problem is the staff - usually the ones sat at desks or tills not doing much moving ( but lots of yakking).

They don't get the idea that a thermostat set at 22degrees mainatains temp at 22 degrees. Putting it at 29 degrees only means it gets to 25degrees (still stifling) and runs flat out continually, until someome who gets too hot knocks it down to 16degrees, which kicks the a/c on and then everyone freezes, so backup to 29 it goes.

I have actually removed buttons on the controllers to prevent this (as many don't have temp limiters, i.e Daikin and Mitsi, Fuji/General etc), or they get hidden in cupboards or roofspace (the temp sensor are on the ac unit, not the controller). Unfortunately in every office/shop there is always a smartarse who finds it, or manages to adjust it with a biro.

Now if the manager is male (and not camp), generally once they know the situation causing the helter-skelter temperature fluctations, they kick the ***** of their workforce into touch (i.e next person to touch the 'stat gets the sack). Unfortunately, if the manager is female, its a lost cause - if they get a hot flush, everyone in the shop gets frozen, if they get a cold flush, everyone gets boiled.

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 November 2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 22 November 2011, 04:12 PM
playtime
Scooby Regular

I work for asda they penny pinch hot for the customers but at night its lights dimmed heat of the shop ice freezing and they wont supply you with the correct uniform And your working in a refridgerated atmosphere
Old 22 November 2011, 04:17 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

woman + heating/airconditioning = nightmare
Old 22 November 2011, 04:27 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by playtime
I work for asda they penny pinch hot for the customers but at night its lights dimmed heat of the shop ice freezing and they wont supply you with the correct uniform And your working in a refridgerated atmosphere
and your problem is? frozen norks everywhere, be happy
Old 22 November 2011, 04:37 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
It's ridiculous because if it's cold outside you have to wear warm clothes and/ or a coat anyway so soon get over-heated in shops. My OH detests shopping at the best of times but if the shop is too warm he just walks straight out.
This ^

I hate the feeling of walking in to an oven like shop from outside while wearing a coat, I now know that I might as well wear a T shirt and shorts when shopping in the winter.
Old 22 November 2011, 04:44 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I just give the wife the bank card and let her do the shopping
Old 22 November 2011, 04:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its women, they are so soft when it comes to temperature, my missus has a hot water bottle even now, the duvet is like sleeping under a dead horse anyway, she changed it from the summer one in August, I have to sleep with my **** hanging out to try and cool down, she then moans if I move because it causes a waft, I sometimes fart to warm it up for her but she doesnt appreciate it.
Old 22 November 2011, 04:53 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Who cares?
Old 22 November 2011, 04:57 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

It is odd isn't it?

I have had to walk out of shop because they are too damn hot.
Although it only seems to be clothes shops which would make sense if people are trying on clothes.

I always find supermarkets bloody cold!
Old 22 November 2011, 05:03 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

I hate walking around shops as it is but when the inside of my pants start to feel like the bottom of a bag of chips I know it's time to get outside.
Old 22 November 2011, 05:14 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I hated woolworths for their crazy heat levels... They used to say it was an unreliable air con unit.. Even after the rebrand the store was boiling. Once it closed down to max seem to use the air con just fine...

All over shops I don't find boiling..
Old 22 November 2011, 07:02 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Head
It is odd isn't it?

I have had to walk out of shop because they are too damn hot.
Although it only seems to be clothes shops which would make sense if people are trying on clothes.

I always find supermarkets bloody cold!
Same here. I've walked out of shops several times as it's been boiling in there.
Without buying what i went in for by the way.... i'll get it from a shop that doesn't cook me!
Old 22 November 2011, 07:49 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Same here. I've walked out of shops several times as it's been boiling in there.
Without buying what i went in for by the way.... i'll get it from a shop that doesn't cook me!
I wish I could just walk out of the shop because it's too hot (work btw)