Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why the poor get poorer and the rich get richer!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2011, 03:48 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the poor get poorer and the rich get richer!!

How to take a television that costs as low as £838 and turn it into at least £3,500 over three years!

First of all charge nearly twice the price.

Then charge 30% APR

Then add on some compulsory insurance or a service contract that costs as much as the television does to start with!!

Brighthouse made around £34m profit.

Apparently their biggest selling products with 'massive sales' are Blackberries!!!
Old 15 October 2011, 04:00 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

My daughter has recently bought a house and I found the invoice from British Gas for the new boiler that was fitted 2 years ago. The boiler, new flue and all required parts I can get trade for around £820inc VAT.

British Gas charged her, and she was a pensioner, over £3500.00 for it. She also had a quote for finance over 10 years and it came to nearly £8k.

The sales person who rip people off like this should be ashamed of themselves as should BritishGas. They hadn't even sealed the flue properly either which I had to do myself.

Chip
Old 15 October 2011, 04:23 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes but you can get a really nice TV for just £14 a week, that's only the equivalent of 2 packs of **** a week, bargain!!
Old 15 October 2011, 04:32 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Yes but you can get a really nice TV for just £14 a week, that's only the equivalent of 2 packs of **** a week, bargain!!
Are **** £7 a pack now? Jesus! why would anyone smoke at that price
Old 15 October 2011, 04:42 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Chip
My daughter has recently bought a house and I found the invoice from British Gas for the new boiler that was fitted 2 years ago. The boiler, new flue and all required parts I can get trade for around £820inc VAT.

British Gas charged her, and she was a pensioner, over £3500.00 for it. She also had a quote for finance over 10 years and it came to nearly £8k.

The sales person who rip people off like this should be ashamed of themselves as should BritishGas. They hadn't even sealed the flue properly either which I had to do myself.

Chip
How old does that make you if your daughter is a pensioner?!
Old 15 October 2011, 04:44 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

In answer to the OP, what happened to common sense and not being duped by such silly offers? In my opinion those stupid enough to take up these 'deals' deserve to be ripped off!
Old 15 October 2011, 04:44 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..........I had to read that twice. The previous owner was a pensioner

Shaun
Old 15 October 2011, 04:47 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if the work shy were paid more in benefits then they would not be forced into these extortionate deals to pay for life's necessities, such as 46 inch led televisions.
Old 15 October 2011, 04:52 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Well it does go towards the chav quotient.

Which is the area of your TV screen divided by the area of the floor in your living area.

Old 15 October 2011, 05:36 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
In answer to the OP, what happened to common sense and not being duped by such silly offers? In my opinion those stupid enough to take up these 'deals' deserve to be ripped off!
I disagree, I genuinely think it sucks. I've worked in finance and sales all my life and now hate watching vulnerable people being stiched-up. I can't wait to get out of the stinking game - full of complete *****.
Old 15 October 2011, 05:48 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I disagree, I genuinely think it sucks. I've worked in finance and sales all my life and now hate watching vulnerable people being stiched-up. I can't wait to get out of the stinking game - full of complete *****.
On Thursday night me and the missus went into Phones4u to get her an upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy S2. Having trawled the net previously I knew what the bottom line was for P4U(it actually is a good deal they offer). Being a salesman myself I can pick up when a salesman is getting greedy and talking bull****. This guy had my missus rightly confused with some overly expensive fantastic deal with cash back gallore. I mentioned the website price and he just ignored it as he wanted to push the cashback offer. After listening to his bull**** for less than 5 minutes, I left as he didn't deserve any commission.

Now if i hadn't have been there I am certain she would have walked out with a handful of cash and an unsuitable tarrif. I hate bull**** salesmen.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 15 October 2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 15 October 2011, 05:55 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
EXACTLY this ^^^
People don't think about consequences - all they are concerned about is today -and here you can have an enormous telly for only £14 per week - just so affordable isnt it?
Old 15 October 2011, 05:55 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vulnerable? Or Stupid? I agree that in the spur of the moment people can be ripped off by sales patter: sort of pressured into thinking it's a great deal without reading the T&Cs. I don't know about you though, but when I was growing up, and even in my teens, I always had someone there - whether parents, grandparents, or friends - to tear me to shreds if I fell for something in the heat of the moment. We should encourage personal responsibility, because in my opinion, all those embarrassments worked.

You should get out of it and set up a charity if you're being troubled by pangs of conscience, JT.

You could travel around stores punching arrogant salesmen in the face to balance things out a bit. Or run up behind them and kick them in the nuts at the end of their shift.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 15 October 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 15 October 2011, 06:00 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
EXACTLY this ^^^
People don't think about consequences - all they are concerned about is today -and here you can have an enormous telly for only £14 per week - just so affordable isnt it?
Yes, especially as in most cases it'll most likely be paid for by the taxpayers!
Old 15 October 2011, 06:53 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Surely this and people shopping as a hobby in supermarkets with real money is the only thing keeping the country from going under

:Suspicou
Old 15 October 2011, 06:54 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Vulnerable? Or Stupid? I agree that in the spur of the moment people can be ripped off by sales patter: sort of pressured into thinking it's a great deal without reading the T&Cs. I don't know about you though, but when I was growing up, and even in my teens, I always had someone there - whether parents, grandparents, or friends - to tear me to shreds if I fell for something in the heat of the moment. We should encourage personal responsibility, because in my opinion, all those embarrassments worked.

You should get out of it and set up a charity if you're being troubled by pangs of conscience, JT.

You could travel around stores punching arrogant salesmen in the face to balance things out a bit. Or run up behind them and kick them in the nuts at the end of their shift.
Sometimes they're just nice and see no bad in people. Sometimes they're trusting, they believe what the nice young man is telling them. Sometimes they've not been blessed with cognitive skills but are warm, considerate, caring people. Sometimes they've not had the advantage of a sound upbringing and a decent education. I get all the Ayn Rand and social Darwinism stuff; very macho - greed is good, right? Well, that's fine but, personally, I'm no longer comfortable with it. There's some real dark souls on the prowl.
Old 15 October 2011, 06:57 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Surely this and people shopping as a hobby in supermarkets with real money is the only thing keeping the country from going under

:Suspicou
Having said all that, I'd take great pleasure in fitting you up.
Old 15 October 2011, 07:00 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

And my Girlfriends sister is one of them. Has her entire house bought from Brighthouse.

Big TV
PS3
Xbox
Sofa
fridge
washer/dryer.

All paid weekly. That is, if there is enough cash left over from the 40 **** a day, and the daily bottle of Vodka.
Old 15 October 2011, 07:07 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

It is a shame that peopl ehave to stoop to the level of buying things at that sort of cost, although they should probably not buy them in the first place.

If they are stupid enough to squander their hard earned dole on things like that then that is up to them afterall they have sat on their ***** for however long so it must entitle them to have a large screen TV to watch daytime TV.....

Joking asdie maybe anyone on the dole should have their credit rating killed so they can no longer buy anything from anywhere on credit.
Old 15 October 2011, 07:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

But we 'love' our weekly payment store........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzk2CbOa8OQ]

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 October 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 15 October 2011, 07:21 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Sometimes they're just nice and see no bad in people. Sometimes they're trusting, they believe what the nice young man is telling them. Sometimes they've not been blessed with cognitive skills but are warm, considerate, caring people. Sometimes they've not had the advantage of a sound upbringing and a decent education. I get all the Ayn Rand and social Darwinism stuff; very macho - greed is good, right? Well, that's fine but, personally, I'm no longer comfortable with it. There's some real dark souls on the prowl.
Please try not to tar me with Ayn Ran and Social Darwinism brush off the back of a lighthearted comment. There's nothing that macho about it; for me it's more about helping people. For the people who raised me it was all about helping. I just think we should strive towards educating about things like this, rather than simply cocooning people away from it and praising them for their mistakes. That makes people naive IMO.

I'm guessing you'd gravitate more towards stopping people from being able to do it in the first place? At the end of the day, there are always going to be nice people who are taken advantage of. I reckon if everything is out in the open and people know about the various scams taking place, on the whole they are more switched on to them.
Old 15 October 2011, 07:53 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

This is the face of capitalism.
Old 15 October 2011, 08:09 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
And my Girlfriends sister is one of them. Has her entire house bought from Brighthouse.

Big TV
PS3
Xbox
Sofa
fridge
washer/dryer.

All paid weekly. That is, if there is enough cash left over from the 40 **** a day, and the daily bottle of Vodka.

As long as she is not on benefits, then she can knock herself out
Old 15 October 2011, 08:15 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

What a lot on here obviously haven't got to grips with is that it's not just doleys or lazy scroungers who use this place. We've got one in Scunny highstreet and it's always got plenty of folk in it from it seems all sorts of backgrounds. Infact I've seen an X5 pull up round the back and take an ex-display TV out on a weekly payment scheme - amazing what you hear when ear wigging

A fool and their money... a bit like shopping at Waitrose and spending twice as much as Asda/Tesco/Sainsburys...

Old 15 October 2011, 08:20 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

It's the way of the world
Weekly payments ,pay as you go electric and gas meters
Shopping at the convinence shops
Buying over priced tat and dodgy trainers
Smoking
Drinking
Living for today and not tomorrow
No savings ,or ever will have
Buying a sandwich instead of making their own
They never will get any better and their numourous offspring will be brought up the same
Safe sex never happens

This country is well and truly fcuked
Old 15 October 2011, 08:21 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I used to give out loans for proivdent at 2000% APR, you borrow £100 and you pay back £290 at £3.00 a week.... (these figures are probably wrong so forgive my maths)

Yeah it does look like a rip off but there were these points as pluses for the customers.

1) You go to them so they don't need to leave the house
2) If they miss a week or can't pay the full £3.00 one week they don't pay a late fee it just rolls over to another week
3) even if they don't have a credit rating they will still get a loan.
Old 15 October 2011, 08:23 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
payment scheme - amazing what you hear when ear wigging

A fool and their money... a bit like shopping at Waitrose and spending twice as much as Asda/Tesco/Sainsburys...

My wifes mum shops at Waitrose and decided to do a challenge. She purchased the exact same BRANDED items from Tesco as she would have from Waitrose one week and there was only a 5p difference!
Old 15 October 2011, 08:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
It's the way of the world
Weekly payments ,pay as you go electric and gas meters
Shopping at the convinence shops
Buying over priced tat and dodgy trainers
Smoking
Drinking
Living for today and not tomorrow
No savings ,or ever will have
Buying a sandwich instead of making their own
They never will get any better and their numourous offspring will be brought up the same
Safe sex never happens

This country is well and truly fcuked
Agree with 90% of that. Pre-payment meters, I'm on them for Gas/Electric currently - well have been for years since losing my last job. As my credit score is (love that smiley) pre-payment is my only option, although luckily through Southern Electric there is only a 5% difference in price from a Direct Debit (which as per credit score they won't allow me to be on). I'm still paying LESS on pre-payment meters through S.E. than I was on either British Gas or N-Power bills

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
My wifes mum shops at Waitrose and decided to do a challenge. She purchased the exact same BRANDED items from Tesco as she would have from Waitrose one week and there was only a 5p difference!

I'm not just talking about branded items but we're splitting hairs. Plenty of people buy 'own brand' stuff, not necessarily the value stuff, but midrange. Whether it's due to cost or the fact there isn't that much difference in taste/quality
Old 15 October 2011, 09:16 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

How old does that make you if your daughter is a pensioner?!
lol
Old 15 October 2011, 09:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

To be honest, the gullible and stupid are the reason I get fantastic bargains!

I pay cash for everything and negotiate on almost everything ...... when I bought my car last year I asked the Salesman what his best price was - he said he could sell the particular car for the list price. People actually come in, he said, select a car - pay on HP - buy the alloy wheel cover, the GAP Insurance and pay £350 for some polish and interior trim protectant!!

I told him I would pay him List minus £2,000 and I want the £350 polish and interior clean thrown in .... I want absolutely no 'extras' whatsoever. He agreed - and thoroughly enjoyed dealing with a real man for once

The only reason I can do these deals is that mugs pay silly money for stuff ...... an example, I bought a PAYG decent mobile for £3 - yes, £3!! How many idiots will be paying £100's for mickey mouse Iphone4's, Samsung S2's, and all other such hyped, uneeded junk??

A fool and their money are soon parted ...... and all the better for the rich like me to get richer - keep it up mugs

Quick Reply: Why the poor get poorer and the rich get richer!!