Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Part time bar work - any rules/regs?

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2011, 06:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part time bar work - any rules/regs?

My daughter has started doing a few evenings in a local pub (Bristol). Seems to be a managed pub with quite a reasonable couple in charge. BUT...... they are paying her about £4.50/hour, cash, and just seem to leave her on her own. Not that she minds this particularly and she has done pub work before but last night for example they both went out and she was a bit worried in case something went wrong. In fact some fairly p,issed up character came in and gave her a bit of a hard time before quietening down.

She's 25 so I think should at least be getting the minimum wage - ? - and I don't think they should both walk out for the evening - what do you reckon?

It's a reasonably safe area, Clifton, although only a street away from where that poor kid, Jo Yeates, was murdered

She'd chuck it in but generally it's OK and jobs are hard to find.

dl
Old 28 September 2011, 06:42 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

TBH I wouldnt be happy with my daughter at 25 working in a bar without any support, what would happen if said peed up person gets violent and jumps the bar or attacks her/someone else? I think it is irresponsible of the owners TBH.

As far as being paid goes, CASH...not sure they shoul dbe doing that firstly but I woul dhave thought it would be worth more than that.
Old 28 September 2011, 06:51 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
TBH I wouldnt be happy with my daughter at 25 working in a bar without any support, what would happen if said peed up person gets violent and jumps the bar or attacks her/someone else? I think it is irresponsible of the owners TBH.

As far as being paid goes, CASH...not sure they shoul dbe doing that firstly but I woul dhave thought it would be worth more than that.
Paul, Yes I agree totally. And they left without leaving any contact details etc.

As for pay well she would not be liable for any tax and the last place she worked gave her a weekly chitty with hours worked etc and paid cash.

TBH I probably worry more that she does but that's what dad's do

d
Old 30 September 2011, 01:47 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I thought at least 1 licensed person had to be in the pub at all times. It's that way north of border at least.
Old 30 September 2011, 08:21 AM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

There must be a full license holder on the premises at all times the pub is open.

She must be paid a minimum of minimum wage unless that wage is made up with other priviledges (accomodation, food, drinks, etc)
Old 30 September 2011, 09:25 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

I'd completely forgotten about the need to have a licence holder on the premises. But surely there are thousands of smaller pubs where the licence holder is a single individual who must often leave the place for a short time? Shopping, cash-n-carry etc etc? I guess they are technically breaking the law?

On wages - no extras, not even a stale sandwich

d
Old 30 September 2011, 09:38 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Keep up the times folks, there is no requirement for the Personal Licence holder to be on the premises at all time. They just have to be contactable.

I'd be more concerned about the income tax avoidance, her personal safety, the flouting of minimum wage. I bet they also have not checked her right to work in the UK.

Last edited by what would scooby do; 30 September 2011 at 10:44 AM.