Cameras - Which one ?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2011, 10:54 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cameras - Which one ?? Help

Hi all,

Now that IVe got young children, I would like to buy a camera that I can take with me, to capture those special moments. Ive been using my HTC Desire phone but decided to buy a proper camera, that has a faster shutter speed, as my son seems to move the moment just before the damn thing takes the pic.

Being realistic, I dont want a huge David Bailey type camera, one that I can carry in my pocket, to a certain degree, or in my Mrs's handbag. I would like it to take good pics, and soem viedo if I choose.

however, I have no idea about cameras. none what so ever. I appriecate the 10 / 14 megapixle thing, and assume the higher the number, the better the camera ??

My budget is around £150. So, can any one help explain what I need to look for, or even a good, fast picture taking, ease to use / carry camera ?

SBK

Last edited by Simon K; 28 September 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 28 September 2011, 11:06 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you want it to have video capabilities too?

If not, look here: http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Digital-Cam...-Camera/617040

Budget for a decent sized SD card, 8GB can be had for around £6. I'd also buy a case. £5.

If you want video too, you will go a long way to better this: http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Digital-Cam...-Camera/709077

Comet are now doing this on a web exclusive of £234.80, with a FREE 5 year warranty!
Dixons do it for that price without the warranty.

I've done loads of research on cameras recently and the TZ20 will be my choice. I already have a Nikon D300 DSLR, but want one I can have with me at all times.
Old 28 September 2011, 11:19 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

I've got a collection of SLRs and huge lenses, etc. - but my choice of camera for doing exactly what you're looking for is a Canon Powershot G-series.

You can pick up a used Powershot G9 for a reasonable price these days, and it's a superb camera. 12.1MP / video / image stabilizer / good zoom range / etc.

If you were looking at other (cheaper and plasticky) used cameras then I'd probably discourage you from it - but the Powershot G is a solid piece of kit and a used purchase would serve you well for years to come.

DN
Old 28 September 2011, 11:31 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. Will these cameras allow me to speed up the shutter speed ?? When I take a pic via my phone, it seems to take ages for it to take the actual pic, and I miss the moment.

Ive also noticed my father inlaw has a camera, quite a big, professional looking thing. When he takes pics, he holds the button and the camera takes about 15 in one ago, like a machine gun firing bullets I suppose. This normally means that even if my son moves, you're more than likely to get a couple of decent pics.

Do these above recommendations offer this `machine gun` picture taking ?? Will the shutter speed be quick enough to take fast moving pictures ? Is this type of requirement an actual feature I need to look for in a camera ?

SBK

Last edited by Simon K; 28 September 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 28 September 2011, 11:47 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Any "proper" camera will have a reasonably rapid shutter (it's called "shutter lag"). Cameraphones are awful, compact cameras are better (some are poorer than others, but most - these days - are pretty good and almost instant). SLRs are normally the best when it comes to shutter-lag, but a decent compact - like the Panasonic or Canon that have been mentioned should be great.

Again the "machine gun" rapid fire ability typically increases with cost and the SLRs often have the edge - but the newer compact cameras are getting very good. The Panasonic will do 6fps minimum and the Canon around 2fps - so if this is a priority for you then the Panasonic would be a better choice.

Shutter speed won't be a problem - most cameras will have a fast shutter speed capable of freezing most motion (if that's what you want).

Check out the reviews on www.dpreview.com before taking the plunge, as whilst they can be a bit geeky they are very comprehensive and give some good samples and good summaries.

DN
Old 28 September 2011, 11:51 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

For that budget, try a Canon IXUS 115.

It's predecessors have topped PC Pro's 'A List' for digital compacts for the past 3 years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-IXUS-1...7204433&sr=1-7

My teenage daughter is on her 4th camera in the IXUS series (she's dropped/lost/had stolen the previous 3). She started on the IXUS 85 and now has a 105. Told her she should buy herself some Canon shares!

She takes far superior pictures to me on my 12 megapixel Fujifilm and now she wouldn't use any other compact.

Slightly off topic but..... I always take a camera whenever i'm in the car. A bloke ran into the back of my classic on a roundabout a few years back. Had the whole scene photo'd and video'd within 3 minutes (spent the first minute swearing at 'im, next minute asking him if he was okay, then started snapping away). It was the smoothest, most straightforward, no quibble claim ever and it was settled very quickly.

When I trade up I'm definitely going for the Canon.

Btw: more megapixels do NOT mean a better camera!
Old 28 September 2011, 11:55 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I got a Sony Cybershot DSC TX9 as our beater camera and you'd probably pick up a 2nd hand one for £150 quite easily. They start at about £229 new. It's small, slim and compact yet it takes great photos, has a ton of useful features and is very intelligent (i.e. it sorts itself out most of the time). It is also waterproof to 3 metres (I've used it in the sea), takes HD video, is sand/dust proof and shock proof.

In short, it small and takes great photos but is tough enough for family use on holiday, weekends away, etc.
Old 28 September 2011, 12:30 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Digital-Cam...-Camera/712353

Bought one of these and the pics are superb.

Remember there is a lot of snobbery with cameras and you will pay dearly for a top name. At the end of the day for an amateur you won't notice much difference between £150 and a £500 camera.

Last edited by Chip; 28 September 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 28 September 2011, 03:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

As above:

What you describe is called shutter LAG and is the time between pressing the shutter release and it taking a photo. The Panny is about 0.4seconds, so nowt to worry about. My Nikon is under 0.1 seconds). Older compacts and ESPECIALLY mobile phones are awful for it. My Samsung mobile is between 1 and 2 seconds. NOT for photographing anything that might, or will, move.

Shutter SPEED, is the time taken for the shutter to open, then close again. Faster speeds for faster moving objects. Freezes them in place On both the TZ8 and the TZ20, you have a full PSAM dial, allowing you to choose program, (point and shoot, camera does it all), shutter speed priority, (you set the shutter speed YOU want, from 30s to 1/4000th s, the camera sets everything else for a decent exposure), aperture priority, (YOU choose the aperture, camera sets everything else), or full manual, (you choose everything).

IN ADDITION to this, there are about TWENTY dedicated programmes for things like night scene, baby, scenery, face mode, etc etc etc.

The machine gun effect is multiple exposures, the Panny is quite good, with the TZ20 having nearly 10fps.

Then, as you say, point and fire, pick the best out of a dozen shots or so.

This might help with Panasonics: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...TZ8&p=DMC-TZ10

You can remove the cameras you aren't interested in off the comaprison.
Also, prices are RRP, nowhere near what you will pay. You can see what each has, plus what it has less than, or more than, it's neighbour.

I like Pannys because they are the fusion of a great electronics manufacturer with Leica, one of the top lens makers.
Old 29 September 2011, 09:36 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

Many thanks for taking the time to help me. Dipping my toe into this field has made me realise very quickily, its one hell of a vast field.

So, at the moment Im looking at :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-IXUS-1...=5336337937-21

or

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...1596098677038#

Which do you reckon ?

SBK
Old 29 September 2011, 09:57 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Like everything, if I go for the next model up in the Pany ZT range -

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ18 Black inc FREE USB Card Reader with FREE 5 Year Warranty

£220. Good deal ??

SBK
Old 29 September 2011, 02:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Panny every time: THREE times longer optical zoom, just for a start, plus afaics, the Ixus doesn't have the PASM dial, so no manual mode.

My wife's Ixus only lasted a short time too.........
Old 30 September 2011, 08:21 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Cheers matey. Will get myself one of those panny ones. Thanks for all your help.

SBK
Old 30 September 2011, 10:22 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

panasonic tz10 can be had for £150 at the moment no need to spend anymore than that..