Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A TV License "enforcement officer" is coming to see me..

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2011, 08:08 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A TV License "enforcement officer" is coming to see me..

Well after dodging the bullet for a good while the TV Licensing people have finally caught up with me and are apparently sending an "enforcement officer" to visit me.

Now what exactly does the enforcement officer have the right do to? Considering I live in a 1st floor apartment, how is this fellow going to check if i'm watching TV?

I was just on their website and was about to setup the direct debit when I noticed that you had to pay the first years payment within 6months making the charge £24 a month and then you keep paying at £12 a month. They really cannot be serious, they want me to pay for a ****ty TV license in advance? I'm sorry but no!
Old 24 August 2011, 08:11 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still has to be cheaper than the £1000 fine
Old 24 August 2011, 08:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn1Y7nhB16U
Old 24 August 2011, 08:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/f...m-part-2-AB20/
Old 24 August 2011, 08:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

They have no right to enter your property so if he calls and you say you have no tv whats he gonna do You can even have your tv on so he canhear it to wind him up even more but if he can't see it. Plus if you don't answer the door to him you don't have to put yourself into a situation.

Don't expect them to come calling in a suit, when they called at my house they were in a track suit as I think its so you won't realise who they are and answer the door to them
Old 24 August 2011, 08:25 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Still has to be cheaper than the £1000 fine
It may be cheaper but I hate paying for something I have no choice in. BBC churn out ****e and I really do not wish to hand out £144 of my hard earned cash in order to support fat ****s like Chris Moyles, gheyers like Graham Norton and John Barrowman as well as all the "climate change" ****.

Last edited by Kieran_Burns; 26 August 2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: swear word
Old 24 August 2011, 08:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I tell you what, we'll all pay your share. What about car insurance, you have no choice in that either, perhaps we should pay that for you as well.
Old 24 August 2011, 08:29 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

remove tv for a few days wait for them to come round , show them you have no tv , then say it must be the appartment upstairs or downstairs , once proven you won't here from them again , make sure you are on internet when they arrive and say you must of picked up my pc moniter , job done
Old 24 August 2011, 08:30 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I tell you what, we'll all pay your share. What about car insurance, you have no choice in that either, perhaps we should pay that for you as well.
Yeah what a **** it's a good job we all don't have the same attitude as him.
Old 24 August 2011, 08:31 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

My mate goes to the post office to pay monthly when they catch up with him.
Old 24 August 2011, 08:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Just pay it tightwad, its sod all and not worth the agro !
Old 24 August 2011, 08:35 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I bought a TV for the MIL and had it delivered to work. There is no licence at work, not required. I had a series of threatening letters. None of the declarations on the website was appropriate. Work only occupies part of a rented building, and I couldn't declare that a licence wasn't required at that address.

Eventually got a red letter threatening an interview under caution, didn't want that at work so phoned them to put them straight.
Old 24 August 2011, 08:37 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i consider it a rip off as well as we never watch terestrial tv anymore and pay sky a ffing fortune .there was a legal case a while back where a bloke had the reciever removed from his tv and only watched dvd's and recorded tv on video recorded by a friend , never did find out the outcome but he was technically incapable of recieving a signal so i can't see how they could do him as he was using his tv as a moniter
Old 24 August 2011, 08:43 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I don't understand what you mean Jack? I don't have car insurance, never felt the need for it to be honest.

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Just pay it tightwad, its sod all and not worth the agro !
Is this not the exact reason why we get shafted for every penny we have got?
Old 24 August 2011, 08:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I bet you watch Top Gear.
Old 24 August 2011, 08:45 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Yeah what a **** it's a good job we all don't have the same attitude as him.
+1 cant stand scum
Old 24 August 2011, 08:53 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Generally but if I had the choice of paying to watch it or not watching it at all, I would not miss it as it is pretty dire.

The only thing I would miss from the BBC is wildlife programmes but then again I pay to watch them via Sky on the Documentary package.
Old 24 August 2011, 08:53 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When the bloke comes round and demands, "...But you must have a licence to be able to watch TV...", reply with, "Nope, it works perfectly fine without one, thanks." Then calmly close the door.

Old 24 August 2011, 08:55 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Much as i hate freeloaders, i detest **** enforcers (just following orders) even more!

Have a good read of BBCtvLicence.com and consider writing to them withdrawing "implied right of access" to your property (assuming that you own it).

Originally Posted by 2) Implied right of access
There is a way to stop TVL/BBC approaches. Although houses and flats are private property, there exists an "implied right of access" to enable postal deliveries, newspaper rounds, and other people who wish to visit. This means that the pathway, doorbell and letter box may be used by visitors without the express permission of the owner. Invitiation to use them is implied. As a result of this, TVL/BBC can come up your path and ring your door bell.

To prevent TVL/BBC approaching your property, write to them, stating that you have withdrawn their implied right of access. There is no need to indicate whether you have a television, and you do not need to give your name. You can withdraw access in the name of "legal occupier".

That will (should) keep their employees away, but it will not stop the delivery of TVL/BBC letters, since it is the postman who uses your letter box. So, inform TVL/BBC that you consider their written contact as harassment. This combined approach - withdrawing the right of implied access and informing them that their contact is harassment - should prevent further contact. At least for a while.
mb
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Generally but if I had the choice of paying to watch it or not watching it at all, I would not miss it as it is pretty dire.
Think you've missed the point there, Jamz.
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Well after dodging the bullet for a good while the TV Licensing people have finally caught up with me and are apparently sending an "enforcement officer" to visit me.

Now what exactly does the enforcement officer have the right do to? Considering I live in a 1st floor apartment, how is this fellow going to check if i'm watching TV?

I was just on their website and was about to setup the direct debit when I noticed that you had to pay the first years payment within 6months making the charge £24 a month and then you keep paying at £12 a month. They really cannot be serious, they want me to pay for a ****ty TV license in advance? I'm sorry but no!
Just pay it. Everyone else does so what gives you the right to not pay? You're telling me you NEVER EVER EVER watch any of the BBC channels? They can pinpoint the exact the location of the TV that hasn't got the license, so this whole 'blame it another flat' etc stuff won't wash. Besides, if they ask to see everyone else's TV license (I'm sure they will gladly produce it if they have one), and you're the only one who doesn't have one, then you're fu6ked anyway. Do yourself a favour mate and pay it before you really get in the s4it!

Last edited by Peedee; 24 August 2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 24 August 2011, 09:01 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigbruiseral
+1 cant stand scum
I've still not watched that film.
Old 24 August 2011, 09:01 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
Just pay it. Everyone else does so what gives you the right to not pay? You're telling me you NEVER EVER EVER watch any of the BBC channels? They can pinpoint the exact the location of the TV that hasn't got the license, so this whole 'blame it another flat' etc stuff won't wash. Besides, if they ask to see everyone else's TV license (I'm sure they will gladly produce it if they have one), and you're the only one who doesn't have one, then you're fu6ked anyway. Do yourself a favour mate and pay it before you really get in the s4it!
What gives them the right to force me to pay it?

What am I actually paying for?

I have yet to say I don't watch any BBC channels by the way.
Old 24 August 2011, 09:06 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What gives the Govt the right to "force" you to pay tax, drive on the left hand side of the road, and all the rest !......Enacted Legislation.

There is legislation related to the recieving of TV signals. You used to have to pay to have a radio until the legislation was repealled (for those who are old enough to remember).. you have to pay to recieve TV signals in certain circumstances.

Shaun
Old 24 August 2011, 09:07 PM
deepy
Scooby Regular

And when the last person said "I'm not paying that BBC license fee" and the last BBC transmitter shut down, Rupert rubbed his hands and smiled.
Old 24 August 2011, 09:08 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

What gives them the right to force me to pay it?

What am I actually paying for?

I have yet to say I don't watch any BBC channels by the way.
I'm no TV expert, but I know part of the money goes towards BBC funding. Don't know where the rest goes, but I'm sure it gets used for something. Everyone pays it, what gives you the right to not pay it? If everyone just thought "Oh, I'm not paying this and that because its pointless", then the country would be in even more of a s4it state. I don't wanna pay car tax, I don't wanna pay car insurance, I don't wanna pay rent, I don't wanna pay for electric, but I do because I use the service, as does everyone else. If you don't have a TV, fair enough, but you do, and I'm pretty sure the licensing people would be able to tell that you're watching BBC channels. You're fighting a losing battle mate, and the only way you'll win it is if you don't watch TV!
Old 24 August 2011, 09:21 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by Peedee
You're fighting a losing battle mate, and the only way you'll win it is if you don't watch TV!
Not strictly correct.

The only way he'll win is if he has no device such as a TV/VCR/PVR/PC with TV Card etc in the property. It's not enough to say - I don't watch it. Even blind people have to pay something (although I think they do get a discount)
Old 24 August 2011, 09:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I don't understand what you mean Jack? I don't have car insurance, never felt the need for it to be honest.

Is this not the exact reason why we get shafted for every penny we have got?
Maybe, but not paying it is why you are going to get shafted for even more.
Old 24 August 2011, 09:45 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Well as many of you are pretty happy paying yet another tax in the form a TV License, I am now even more determined to avoid paying for it.

People are being priced out of driving their cars and going to their local pubs but I personally don't feel like being priced out of sitting infront of my TV, so the TV Licensing people can suck the back of 'em.
Old 24 August 2011, 09:46 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Maybe, but not paying it is why you are going to get shafted for even more.
is that not the same failed argument the music industry use?

Quick Reply: A TV License "enforcement officer" is coming to see me..