Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Disabled should work for less than minimum wage

says Tory MP

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-suggests.html
Old 18 June 2011, 04:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they cannot perform up to the level of an able bodied then they should get paid less - I cannot see anything wrong in that.

Of course, they should still get the minimum wage or the wage for the job they carry out - if they can match an able bodied in output then they should receive the same pay.
Old 18 June 2011, 04:26 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

We have a 20 stone wheelchair user at work, in the event of a fire how do we spare three people to load "her" into an evac. chair ?

I also laughed when told "she" is going to an outward bound centre to help... this being a WW I camp with zero year two thousand "PC" disabled access compliance, no showers, no lifts, no toilets, no transport, and hundred year old iron bunk beds.

So the tax payer will have to provide special transport to and from the site, and once there what useful purpose can "she" perform ?

PC gone mad !

dunx

P.S. I have no problem with qualified staff being paid to scale. Nor with people using their skills to benefit the community.

Last edited by dunx; 18 June 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 18 June 2011, 04:35 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

20 stone what type of wheelchair is he/she using then,it must be a big strong wheelchair..
Old 18 June 2011, 04:57 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Well, everyone should get minimum wage, I see no harm in peop,e getting that, at the end of the day, if they can do the job properly, they should get paid for it. If they can't, then they shouldn't be in that position. If compromises need to be made, then this needs to be taken into consideration, and if the job isn't suitable then if for nothing else than for their own health and safety, they shouldn't be doing the job.

Something tells me this possibly won't happen, as it might be a bit tricky when deciding who's a little bit disabled, or not quite disabled enough or definitely disabled and needs to be payed or pay lowered accordingly.
What sort of a freaky grading system would have to be used?
Old 18 June 2011, 05:08 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Lets be honest about this. If you were an employer with a small business and you have 2 applicants for the same job and one is disabled which one are you going to take. I'd like to think it would be the disabled one but in reality it aint going to happen. Therefore if they did offer their services for a little less then maybe they would be in with a better chance of getting the job.

Chip
Old 18 June 2011, 05:17 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Lets be honest about this. If you were an employer with a small business and you have 2 applicants for the same job and one is disabled which one are you going to take. I'd like to think it would be the disabled one but in reality it aint going to happen. Therefore if they did offer their services for a little less then maybe they would be in with a better chance of getting the job.

Chip

That's a fair point. They must know that they are going to be at a disadvantage, so maybe it would make a difference.
Old 18 June 2011, 05:23 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interestingly, the Equality Comission have been known to pay female and disabled people less than males and the able bodied.

The MP tried to make the point on radio 4 yesterday but for some reason it was ignored......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10335437

Shaun
Old 18 June 2011, 05:29 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Nobody wants to be disabled, and anyone here could end up becoming a 'disabled person' through no fault of their own - ie getting hit by a car etc.

I don't think people should pretend that they are going to be as productive as an able bodied person as in most cases they won't be - but you can't just throw them on the scrap heap.

IMO employers should get tax relief for employing people are who are registered disabled, but they should receive the same min wage.
Old 18 June 2011, 05:40 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

The minimum wage is the minimum wage. No one who works should earn under the minimum wage, heck in my opinion no one should earn the minimum wage as it isn't quite earning, its just working so you can afford to keep going to work.

A disabled person doing the same job as an abled person should get the same pay end of. It's not being "PC" it's just being reasonablely fair.
Old 18 June 2011, 07:00 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
The minimum wage is the minimum wage. No one who works should earn under the minimum wage, heck in my opinion no one should earn the minimum wage as it isn't quite earning, its just working so you can afford to keep going to work.

A disabled person doing the same job as an abled person should get the same pay end of. It's not being "PC" it's just being reasonablely fair.
so a disabled person whose productivity is 50% less than their able bodied colleague should get paid the same? bollocks. the able bodied wouldn't stand for it
Old 18 June 2011, 07:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Depends on the job, the person, the disability and a whole host of other factors, disability is a broad concept ranging from someone with arthritis to someone with Cerebral Palsy who cannot walk or talk, thing can be adapted and sometimes people with disabilities evolve ways of coping which sometimes mean they are as productive if not more so because they put time into working out how to automate things, for example macros to do certain tasks on a computer.

If someone who is disabled can work and contribute then they should do, for their own satisfaction and self respect but really we need to get the fat, lazy and indolent section of the population first.
Old 18 June 2011, 07:21 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
We have a 20 stone wheelchair user at work, in the event of a fire how do we spare three people to load "her" into an evac. chair ?
Why are they so fat?
Old 18 June 2011, 07:27 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
so a disabled person whose productivity is 50% less than their able bodied colleague should get paid the same? bollocks. the able bodied wouldn't stand for it
If they are 50% less productive then clearly the HR team haven't chosen the right person for the job. That is not the disabled persons fault.
Old 18 June 2011, 07:31 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I am actually sitting here trying to work out how anyone could deny someone who is disabled from earning the minimum wage. It has actually slightly annoyed me.
Old 18 June 2011, 07:41 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Why are they so fat?
at a guess, sedentary lifestyle and eating too many pies
Old 18 June 2011, 08:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I bet the person pushing the wheelchair is pretty fit

Originally Posted by Petem95
IMO employers should get tax relief for employing people are who are registered disabled, but they should receive the same min wage.
good idea
Old 18 June 2011, 09:35 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

If they are 50% less productive then clearly the HR team haven't chosen the right person for the job. That is not the disabled persons fault.
Exactly It would be completely insane to employ a disabled person to carry out a job that would in theory cut their productivity to the point it was not cost effective. I think you'd find most people with a disability would accept their limitations and not apply for jobs they physically couldn't do.

There will always be the odd 'warrior' however who tries to play the discrimination card..........
Old 18 June 2011, 09:54 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Arrrr come on now,i know its early and i have had a drink.How you would feel if you was disabled..think being a bit unfair here,what's going on btw.The who are disabled are the lazy ******* who claim benefits and lay in bed allday,bloody basterds.whatever
Old 18 June 2011, 10:04 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Yeah, cheap labour, if they take legal action I doubt they will have a leg to stand on.
Old 18 June 2011, 10:23 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Well said that man, i have a disabled nephew, he has muscular dystrophy, inherited gene disease that he has no control over, i would expect him to be given the same wage as an able bodied person for the short time that he would be capable of working no matter what he does, for **** sake, it,s not his fault that he wont live past twenty years old and therefore should be given whatever opportunities he can to experience life... And if that is in a paying position then he should be treat the same as any other person dong the same job.
Old 18 June 2011, 10:30 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Surely the real argument is not the physical but the mental side ie whether someone with learning difficulties is due less
Old 18 June 2011, 10:40 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

surely the real argument is around what a pathetic valueless society we have become

desperate to put some sort of economic value on people with dissabilities

we deserve everything we have coming and boy do we have it coming

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 18 June 2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 18 June 2011, 10:59 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Quite disheartened to read comments here....

Given the option of disabled people on the sick doing sod all, or at work, then they should be at work. Nobody works for less than minimum wage, that is why its a minimum.

Employers get subsidies for having disabled people, so there should be no issue to pay them minimum wage. And if some selfish ******* wants to complain that they are getting paid the same as him, but producing less then just remind him that if they were sat at home producing nothing then he well might not have a job at all. Unemployed people cost employed people a fortune, disabled or not.
Old 18 June 2011, 11:35 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Petem95
This is by far the better way to give incentives to employers, plus having the same minimum wage as the able bodied is non-discriminatory as it should be. Unfortunately the whole idea of the scheme is to palm off the disabled from benefits as cheap labour, and if there were a cost to government such as tax relief then it would defeat the object of the policy.
Old 18 June 2011, 11:52 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
Well, everyone should get minimum wage, I see no harm in .....

I am self employed. I saw a client in Feb for a new mortgage. Total commissions in the products applied for would have been around 3k. Unfortunately, all the insurance was declined for health reasons. Mortgage fee was around 300 quid. Due to lender incompetence, I have probably put more than 100 hours into this, so I am getting less than 3 quid an hour. Can I make a complaint to DWP, or does it not count because I am self employed? Lets face it. The only people who actually contribute to economical growth are the self employed/employers. So as I see it, I am saving the country for 3 quid an hour. Care to prove me wrong?
Old 19 June 2011, 01:51 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you actually read and understand what he's saying, it's quite reasonable and is actually taking the side of disabled people.
Old 19 June 2011, 05:12 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Now that i read it can kind of see the MPs point.Still don't think it will be given the thumbs up.

Smile

Last edited by DYK; 19 June 2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 19 June 2011, 09:29 AM
dean_gti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Quite disheartened to read comments here....

Given the option of disabled people on the sick doing sod all, or at work, then they should be at work. Nobody works for less than minimum wage, that is why its a minimum.

Employers get subsidies for having disabled people, so there should be no issue to pay them minimum wage. And if some selfish ******* wants to complain that they are getting paid the same as him, but producing less then just remind him that if they were sat at home producing nothing then he well might not have a job at all. Unemployed people cost employed people a fortune, disabled or not.

LOL what a crock of ****. Be funny watching half your skilled workforce walk out as well would it? You sound like a great business man.
Old 19 June 2011, 10:16 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
The only people who actually contribute to economical growth are the self employed. Care to prove me wrong?
You mean those who pay very little NI and tax compared to an employee on PAYE.

Chip

Quick Reply: Disabled should work for less than minimum wage