Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

People who unofficially name their houses

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2011, 01:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default People who unofficially name their houses

By that I mean, People who unofficially name their houses; Then use it for post correspondance. Why do people do it? If your house had a number, then thats it. Thats whats on every computerised postcode database in the country.

Ok call it 'Dunroamin' if you want and have a cheesy plaque by the door....but don't start using it in lieu of the correct postal address with the house number.

Why the moan? Well, my house was built on a corner plot about 20 years ago....the rest of the houses on the estate date back to the 1960s. Now at the time council refused to give my house a number, as it would upset the whole sequence in the street. So It had to be given a name. Makes sense, and its fine; shows up on computer address/postcode listings etc and all is well.

BUT, some idiotic gimp that moved into number 50 decided to call his house a name...very similar to mine. And to cap it off he/she uses it instead of their house number when quoting their addresses to all and sundry. So without a house number, and just a name...guess who gets his post? Yes. Me! Now thankfully, my regular postman knows this, so directs the mail accordingly, but sometime he's not on this round.

And not only that; So far, I've had my phone and broadband package changed without my consent. I've had enquires that I've been trying to change gas supplier. I get correspondance for his business. And last week I had a bunch of flowers left rotting outside hidden down the side (as I was away on holiday).

You'd think me knocking on his door to deliver every parcel and me hand delivering his mail would be a hint for him to stop doing it (no I didn't deliver the dead flowers, maybe I should have ). But no, he STILL does it. FFS man, you live at number 50. That is your address! Deal with it! Seeing he's ignored my previous polite gesture for him to stop doing it, and the fact he doesn't seem bothered about missing post/deliveries; I'm not going to bother him any further (well, maybe, read on..... ).

Yup, my neighbourly spirit is exhausted, So every incorrect letter is being reposted...I cross out the name and write number 50 then stick it back in the postbox. And I've had his business adverts removed from yell and 192.com (amongst others).

......What else can I do?

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 May 2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 19 May 2011, 01:54 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL it's the ultimate is suburban pretentiousness, he's probably married to a Hyacinth Bucket!

Some old houses have legitimate names though.
Old 19 May 2011, 02:00 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

don't deliver his stuff when it mistakenly comes to you.

wait for him to come knocking for it!

after 2 months, open up the parcels/mail
Old 19 May 2011, 02:04 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Haha

I used to get this all the time when I worked in customer service

Made writing a reply to a very rude letter that little bit better addressing it to number '30' instead of oakwood cottage !!

Was even better when they wrote back saying I had their house name wrong, not according to royal mail I dont
Old 19 May 2011, 02:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My house has no number, just a name with associations with its previous history.

I wouls find it really annoying if some prat copied its name alright.

Les
Old 19 May 2011, 02:34 PM
HPLovecraft
Scooby Regular

If the names are so similar doesn't he ever get your mail ? Or is it the case that you are the first in the round so it usually all comes to you ?

I don't know if it is law but this is from a guide to naming your house:

'The general rule for naming your home is as follows: If your property has already been designated a number, you must display the house number clearly within the boundary of the property and always use the house number in your address line. You can then also choose to use any house name you like without notifying the the post office or local council as long as you use your house number in your address line.'
Old 19 May 2011, 02:35 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Houses can quite legitimately have both a name and a number. I work for RM and have several of these on my round. And before you say anything it shows both up on the database.

I'd politely ask the person (or write to him, at no 50 of course ) to address his mail like this,

Mr/Mrs *******
*house name*
50 ***** Road
AB***CD

That way there should be no confusion if your regular postie is off.

If he doesn't co-operate , DON'T open anything, just write on it 'not known at this address' and pop it back in the post box. It will be then returned to sender.
Old 19 May 2011, 02:44 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChefDude
don't deliver his stuff when it mistakenly comes to you.

wait for him to come knocking for it!

after 2 months, open up the parcels/mail
**** the two months
Open it up in a couple of days and if its anything worth having then keep it.
If its no use, then take it to the dump and get rid - don't put it in your bin!
Old 19 May 2011, 04:10 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Mine has a name and a number, registered with RM and I use both

It's had this name for around 5 years (from the previous owner...long story!) and from local gossip it upset the local builder. He's now built a house and rented it out, about 100 yds from mine with a VERY similar name. Yep, I get their post!

What really boils my p!ss is people who don't display a name or a number and then can't understand why you can't find them!!
Old 19 May 2011, 04:41 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
Houses can quite legitimately have both a name and a number. I work for RM and have several of these on my round. And before you say anything it shows both up on the database.

I'd politely ask the person (or write to him, at no 50 of course ) to address his mail like this,

Mr/Mrs *******
*house name*
50 ***** Road
AB***CD

That way there should be no confusion if your regular postie is off.

If he doesn't co-operate , DON'T open anything, just write on it 'not known at this address' and pop it back in the post box. It will be then returned to sender.
Doesn't work. They still get it wrong.
My house is Stables Cottage on a certain farm. There is another Stables Cottage on another farm in the area.
I often get his post and I even got one of his tracked parcels, dumped at the back of my house whilst at work.
Old 19 May 2011, 04:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Why re-direct to him? Just "return it to sender - not known at this address". Not your problem as such.

Dave
Because maybe, (just maybe) when he eventually gets his mail, that he'll see its incorrectly addressed, been wrongly delivered and inform the sender of his correct address?

Checking RM's address finder (http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal...&gear=postcode ), it looks like my house is the only one in the street with a registered name as the postal address.

I've asked him a few times to sort it out, but its getting silly now.

Maybe I should change the name of my house. I never really liked it but I assume I'm stuck with it, and it'll a right **** to get it done anyway (house has no number).
Old 19 May 2011, 04:47 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Doesn't work. They still get it wrong.
My house is Stables Cottage on a certain farm. There is another Stables Cottage on another farm in the area.
I often get his post and I even got one of his tracked parcels, dumped at the back of my house whilst at work.
Granted there is many a thick person working at RM. Ring up your local office and complain if it keeps happening. The managemnet should check that the Postie has the correct mail in the correct slot before going out on delivery. If it doesn't work keep on at them until it does stop.

Chances are your regular postie isn't on when this happens or you don't have a regular postie full stop.
Old 19 May 2011, 04:49 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

You could always change the name of your house to 'Nextdoortothattwatatnumberfifty'.
Old 19 May 2011, 04:52 PM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

Just chuck it all in the bin
Old 19 May 2011, 04:52 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Maybe I should change the name of my house. I never really liked it but I assume I'm stuck with it, and it'll a right **** to get it done anyway (house has no number).

Write him a polite letter stating your problem (addresssed to number 50!). Any mail you get thats not yours write on it 'not a this address, return to sender'

Also have a quite word with the postie, this is usually the mos effective way of preventing mis-deliverys., Failing that do as I suggested to Lee247 and complain to your local delivery office. If the names are simlar but not the same it shouldn't even be happening.

If you change your house name (a pain) it means changing all the addresses for everything (even more of a pain) why should you have the hassle?

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude
You could always change the name of your house to 'Nextdoortothattwatatnumberfifty'.

Last edited by BLU; 19 May 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 19 May 2011, 04:59 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

There isn't one house in my village with a number.

I changed the name of my house when I moved in to Firkham Hall.
Old 19 May 2011, 05:03 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
Granted there is many a thick person working at RM. Ring up your local office and complain if it keeps happening. The managemnet should check that the Postie has the correct mail in the correct slot before going out on delivery. If it doesn't work keep on at them until it does stop.

Chances are your regular postie isn't on when this happens or you don't have a regular postie full stop.
You are right, it is always when our postie is off, that it happens.
The new Stables Cottage has been around for about 5 years. Our old house has been around for over 100. He should not have been allowed to use our house name
Old 19 May 2011, 05:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah already spoke to regular postie. He already knows the score

I've talked to number 50 informally four times now about this, maybe a letter would work.

The problem is not all the RM's fault though as some of the letters/packages are indeed addressed to my house. But the sender has selected my house name via the post code/address finder, because he's given his house name instead of the number. My house being only one in the street with a name means a call centre worker will very likely select that.

I wonder if I could try another application for a number...logically I could be no.60 without causing issue (last house on this side of the road is no.58). If I could keep the old name as well then it would make the transition of notifying everyone easier.
Old 19 May 2011, 05:57 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

I would open all his mail as/when you get it. If my mail kept being delivered opened I'd soon sort the problem, failing that just be blunt and tell him that you've tried to be reasonable but from now on all mail of his that comes through his door will be redirected to the bin! I would not be changing anything through sheer principle. You could always open the letters and and swap them around and put them in the free envelopes and send them back That's what I do with junk mail!

Aaron
Old 19 May 2011, 06:07 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by zip106
There isn't one house in my village with a number.

I changed the name of my house when I moved in to Firkham Hall.

I might even do that for a laugh, I've got some right stuck-up neighbours
Old 19 May 2011, 06:14 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

When i get old(er) i am going to call my residence Dunshaggin
Old 19 May 2011, 07:15 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

My house has a name. I can't remember what it is even though I walk past it every day. I'll stick with the number
Old 19 May 2011, 07:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are just being a snob.....

Signed:-

Lord P S Loius

OakVale
50 Cherry Tree Orchard
BlueBellWood
OneUpManShipShire
UPUR 4RS
Old 19 May 2011, 08:00 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

"People who unofficially name their houses"....are crap.
Old 19 May 2011, 08:24 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Ali
Exactly how many letters difference is there between your house name and the neighbours made-up one, and out of how many letters and words in total?

(Just realized I originally addressed this to Kieran by mistake. In my defense I was in a massive hurry when I posted, I do know you're actually two different people!)

Last edited by markjmd; 20 May 2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 19 May 2011, 08:24 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Can you call your house what you like?

Iamgreat Mansion?
Moneybags House?
Old 19 May 2011, 08:38 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Wait till after dark.Get a ladder & some nice fluorescent orange spray paint.
Then spray a nice big 'No 50' on the side of his house.Letters about 5 foot high should be sufficient.
Old 19 May 2011, 09:17 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

The good old backward potato munching Irish have a very simple solution to this. Where a new house is built on a piece of land where there are already existing houses with consecutive odd or even numbers we simply take the lower number and add an A to it so the numbering goes 1,3,5,7,7a,9,11 etc

My house has a name - its called "money pit"
Old 19 May 2011, 10:13 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

There's a house on a normal street near me with the plaque naming the house - Gareth. I'm sure there's some private reason for it.

Quick Reply: People who unofficially name their houses