Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does domestic cctv work?

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2011, 05:49 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does domestic cctv work?

When I say does it work what I mean is does it have a deterrent effect? Does it put burglars off or does it make them think you have something nice to steal?

I have no interest in wanting to catch the people who might burgle me afterwards, I'm only interested in putting them off the idea in the first place.

A few months ago a work colleague who lives a few miles away was burgled. He was asleep in the house at the time but had not switched the alarm on because the dog sleeps downstairs. He came down to see why the poodle was barking and was attacked by three *******. They tied him up and threatened him with an axe wanting the keys to the safe

His wife was also threatened and his 21 year old daughter managed to hide in her bedroom and call the police. One man was caught on scene and they have dna evidence on the other two.

He has a very nice house in a nice part of the world but his garden backs onto a field and I wonder if this was part of why he was targeted.

Anyway, a few weeks somebody on my street was burgled whilst they were away for the weekend. They don't have a burglar alarm.

These two events one after have made me a little paranoid. I have a good burglar alarm but was wondering whether cctv cameras might just add that extra little deterrent factor.

As the guy who fitted my alarm told me many years ago, you want your house to look like it's too much of a pain in the **** to rob so they rob somebody else instead
Old 17 May 2011, 06:28 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cctv is a postive no matter what i say go for it
Old 17 May 2011, 09:53 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Thing with CCTV is that it can be monitored from anywhere now. In my opinion it is worth it for the displacement value, I believe the majority of thieves will tackle the house without the alarm, without the CCTV before those that are alarmed / recorded.

In saying that, I know someone who had all of the above and more on their property. While on honeymoon, their house was broken into cleared of their wedding presents, VW golf and MG BGT which were both garaged were stolen and the cctv saw absolutely nothing of any worth.
Old 17 May 2011, 09:57 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
cctv is a postive no matter what i say go for it
Yep.
Especially when it's facing the bedroom of the house across the street.
Old 18 May 2011, 07:08 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-Dummy-Fake-...item588cde82c3

There you go, average ****** isn't going to know the difference.