Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Benefit State

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2011, 11:57 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Benefit State

I have a step sister. Met her once, nice girl - that's all I can say. I met her at our Dad's funeral. We're not close......

Her Facebook account says - Employer : never had one. Which is true. She's 31 on her next birthday and has a 6ry old boy.

Genes/jeans?

And she has never worked - just to confirm. Able bodied, chubby (from being lazy) but nothing more than any other chunky bird.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 28 April 2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:02 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea, I don't know her.

Granted, there are people out there on benefits genuinely, but at 31, unless she is unable to work due to disability of some sort, I struggle to see why she hasn't 'been able' to work at all during all that time.

It's been made too easy for some people in society not to work (or too unappealing to work). This needs to change...how exactly, I don't know. We all have ideas, probably none of them would happen.

Edit to add, after your edit...I'm a 'chunky bird' as you'd put it, but I have managed to work since I was 16 almost non-stop (a gap of a few months when I was 16 going from a seasonal job to finding a permanent one), and I would say I'm far from lazy. Just saying, not wanting to make a big issue of the comment.

Last edited by Lisawrx; 28 April 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:09 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
No idea, I don't know her.

Granted, there are people out there on benefits genuinely, but at 31, unless she is unable to work due to disability of some sort, I struggle to see why she hasn't 'been able' to work at all during all that time.

It's been made too easy for some people in society not to work (or too unappealing to work). This needs to change...how exactly, I don't know. We all have ideas, probably none of them would happen.
She's an ex heroin addict.

Apparently.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:19 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
She's an ex heroin addict.

Apparently.
Then she's probably had even more help than the average scrounger along the way.

If she's an ex-addict, there is nothing stopping her getting into work now is there? But of course, she now has a child, so that's a few more years off.

I do have to add, as I don't know her, I'm making quite general comments, so no offence is meant if there is more to it (that you don't know).

However, speaking generally, it is this type of story that annoys me. You have people out there in need of help in the short term who can't get it, you have the low paid with no help offered and all manner of other stories, then you have a section of society who appear to get around everything and live a life of luxury in some respects.

I fully understand there is little incentive for those who would be at the low end of the working ladder to actually work if they'd be better off on benefits, but to me it comes down to the person as well as how stupid the system is. I know plenty of people (myself included) who go out and do an honest days work for little money, and put up with alot of **** to boot, but we still do it. I think it's about having a bit pride in yourself and/or how you are raised.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:23 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just talking about this the other day. A girl I know that used to live round here... applied to go to college and went to stay in a big town near me. Government pays for everything and she somehow manages to go out and get p*ssed every weekend (and a lot during the week as well). She isn't even that interested in the course she's doing (hairdressing) and will probably never have a job doing it... she's just there for something to do. She's a parasite for sure, without the state she'd have a miserable life just scaping by, and to be honest I don't think she deserves any better. It's when you realise that you're paying for her lifestyle and others like her that you start to get p*ssed off.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:26 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

.............but to me it comes down to the person as well as how stupid the system is.
Snap.

if the system didn't exist, there wouldn't be any scroungers making the most of it.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:28 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Stick her out on the streets.

Not as a Brass (Ho) - Cos chubby ain't gonna make any money.

Get her cleaning the streets, picking up *** ends (cigarette butts) and **** like that.

They do it in other countries - why not in the UK.

I'm done with paying **** loads of tax and NI for it to been thrown away on wastes of skin.

However, When I'm out of work in 4 weeks time (possibly) I'll look forward to getting a freebee people carrier, plasma telly, alcohol etc etc........

Trending Topics

Old 28 April 2011, 12:28 AM
fildigger
Scooby Newbie

Lethal Injection (she'll be used to needles !)

Give the kid to a loving couple who have failed IVF treatment at their 5th attempt !

Sorted !..............Next...
Old 28 April 2011, 12:38 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
It's when you realise that you're paying for her lifestyle and others like her that you start to get p*ssed off.
Exactly. My (our) life is in no way perfect, but we both work full time and pay our taxes, with no government support along the way. Even though there is some family help (thank god for my Mam..long story) it's still hard, but you do the best you can.

It does annoy me though, that we go out all these hours, while (at least) both neighbours either side have either never worked, or at least not while they have lived next door to us. One side, I can 'sort of' understand, the other...in my mind from what I see, there is no excuse. But what do you do, other than get pissed off about it, moan and know nothing or little will change.

Any change to the benefits system, if I had the money I'd bet, would only hit those needing a little hand more again, and we will still be sitting here with the same people milking the system for all it's worth.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:41 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

My Dad (bio) is her Dad, BTW.

I was lucky. My Mother met a nice man that took me on as his boy and adoped me. He is my Dad and pushed me to do well in life. He's my Dad.

I was saddened to see my half sisters/brothers/cousins living in a benefits culture that encourages just being idle.

They live for benefits and assume the house they live in free.

Is this what we want?
Old 28 April 2011, 12:43 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Exactly. My (our) life is in no way perfect, but we both work full time and pay our taxes, with no government support along the way. Even though there is some family help (thank god for my Mam..long story) it's still hard, but you do the best you can.

It does annoy me though, that we go out all these hours, while (at least) both neighbours either side have either never worked, or at least not while they have lived next door to us. One side, I can 'sort of' understand, the other...in my mind from what I see, there is no excuse. But what do you do, other than get pissed off about it, moan and know nothing or little will change.

Any change to the benefits system, if I had the money I'd bet, would only hit those needing a little hand more again, and we will still be sitting here with the same people milking the system for all it's worth.
I don't understand how the benfit system works. I am not ashamed to admit this as I have never had benefits, but...
Why do those who do nowt, seem to get all and those who work and suddenly hit hardship (lose their job or get an illness) get sweet eff all.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:49 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
I don't understand how the benfit system works. I am not ashamed to admit this as I have never had benefits, but...
Why do those who do nowt, seem to get all and those who work and suddenly hit hardship (lose their job or get an illness) get sweet eff all.

Snap

It looks rigged.

Work hard and you pay a high tax rate to pay for those that don't work. But those that don't work enjoy the same/similar standard of living at the expense of the mugs that work?

**** take somewhere.
Old 28 April 2011, 01:20 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Lee247
Nor do I really. I can only go by what I see around me.

I know while I was growing up we (well my parents) got family allowence as it was then, but nothing more, and eveyone so far as I'm aware was entitled to that. Not one other benefit has been claimed in this house (well, bar my free prescriptions as I have epilepsy, I don't want to be seen as being dishonest).

All I know, is my family struggled as we grew up, but we managed, and I'd like to say we were fairly happy, if not well off. I'm no going to post up full family history but we got by, maybe because my parents had pride too, I assume they did. Otherwise I don't know, as we could have just as easily been another family on a council estate living off other peoples hard earned.

I've said for years that the system needs a shake up, but it needs someone in power really willing to address it, and not just tinker a little in an attempt to please the masses (working peeps)
Old 28 April 2011, 07:06 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Genes/jeans?
What about them?
Old 28 April 2011, 07:29 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this an alcohol induced rant
Old 28 April 2011, 11:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its a pity that so many drift off down the wrong path as they grow up these days. Their bringing up seems to generate entirely the wrong attitude towards getting a job and being able to maintain themselves, and they also seem to wind up addicted to drugs so easily too.

If something positive is not done by those who are supposed to run the country for its own sake and for the people we are in danger of complete anarchy.

Too much self seeking and little responsibility in government I reckon.

Les
Old 28 April 2011, 11:31 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

My mates sister has never really worked, lives in a council pigsty by all accounts, three kids by different fathers, one of the kids has mild Autism so the benefits kick in, wooo, don't know why but she now gets a motability car (makes a change from some old shed, uninsured with no tax and MOT like she used to run), sits on her **** all day, gets the eldest daughter to do most of the work. I have heard over the years the cunning this woman has use to get things, mainly using sex to get men, and in turn money, the only work she did was in an old folks home and stuff went missing, robbing from charity collections, now too fat with her teeth rotting out of her head to do anything, used to be reasonably attractive, now basically disabled through sloth, and thats the problem, live like that eating biscuits all day pretending to have a disability and pretty soon you have one all of your own.

What the career scroungers miss in their utter panic to remain on benefits is that work can be rewarding, routine and being busy is better than sloth, not for everyone, every job, every situation but by and large we need structure and purpose, ok stacking shelves may not be the most stimulating but you have interaction with your colleagues and sometimes even the public can be ok, you see things, hear things rather than sitting watching Jeremy Kyle whilst dreaming up ways to fool the Doctor, its a similar thing to people with too much money and time on their hands, sounds wonderful but even they need interaction and structure.

We are always looking for the be all and end all, for the committed scrounger its a lifetime of never having to do anything, for most of us its being rich, to be honest I reckon its best to live now rather than waiting for some life changing event, basically if you enjoy something, just take it on face value, dont think how it could have been better.

I get a real kick out of getting an email of thanks at work, am sat at home now a bit bored, enjoying being bored but god I would hate it all the time, my brother in law supports himself but doesn't work (though he is looking for a job apparently), I dont know how he doesnt go stark raving mad.
Old 28 April 2011, 11:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The major problem we have now is that the state has, over the years, (and NOT just NL, Thatcher's mob did it too), encouraged the having of a family as a career.

Now, suppose we stop this today?

What happens to all the kids, born to scrounger parents, yet not old enough to support themselves? THEY didn't ask to be born, nor did they ask to be brought up by idle scroungers.

And before we say, "adoption", or "fostering, think carefully: IS that the best for the kids? Always? In every case? And are there enough kind, loving adoptive parents or foster parents out there to take them all on, even assuming it IS the best scenario? Not in THIS area, for sure

So even if we stopped it for people not yet on it TODAY, we have somehow got to fund it for the next 16/18 years at least FOR THE KIDS!

No easy answers, folks, there never are when dealing with human beings
Old 28 April 2011, 12:12 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it is THE biggest issue facing this country - a total poverty of aspiration by such a large part of the population, generations within the same family who have never had a job, shocking!!

it is not a simple left versus right argument, it is much more fundamental than that.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:13 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
The major problem we have now is that the state has, over the years, (and NOT just NL, Thatcher's mob did it too), encouraged the having of a family as a career.

What happens to all the kids, born to scrounger parents, yet not old enough to support themselves? THEY didn't ask to be born, nor did they ask to be brought up by idle scroungers.

And before we say, "adoption", or "fostering, think carefully: IS that the best for the kids? Always? In every case? And are there enough kind, loving adoptive parents or foster parents out there to take them all on, even assuming it IS the best scenario? Not in THIS area, for sure

So even if we stopped it for people not yet on it TODAY, we have somehow got to fund it for the next 16/18 years at least FOR THE KIDS!

Yep, dunno how they do it. me and Nat took the little 'un to get weighed today at the health clinic near us. The care worker, nice lady called Val in her 50's really beamed a smile when we turned up about 9.45 (prime time Jezza K tv time this). She looked fed up and seeing the naked screggy kids and their parents running around made me realise why Proper pondlife sceffs more interested in texting the (future) father to their next baby whilst this poor woman tries to retain some form of order. She loves seeing us and Isaac because we look after him, we're genuine parents who wanted a child for loving reasons, not for a governemtn funded weekly Brighthouse cheque book Always a pleasure nattering to her as you can tell the numbers of chavvy parents coming in must be outweighing the good, honest parents.

Rant over, p.s. 13lb 1oz - 6 weeks old
Old 28 April 2011, 12:20 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Yep, dunno how they do it. me and Nat took the little 'un to get weighed today at the health clinic near us. The care worker, nice lady called Val in her 50's really beamed a smile when we turned up about 9.45 (prime time Jezza K tv time this). She looked fed up and seeing the naked screggy kids and their parents running around made me realise why Proper pondlife sceffs more interested in texting the (future) father to their next baby whilst this poor woman tries to retain some form of order. She loves seeing us and Isaac because we look after him, we're genuine parents who wanted a child for loving reasons, not for a governemtn funded weekly Brighthouse cheque book Always a pleasure nattering to her as you can tell the numbers of chavvy parents coming in must be outweighing the good, honest parents.

Rant over, p.s. 13lb 1oz - 6 weeks old
We get the same impression from our GP. We don't see him very often, but when we do, he is always pleased to see us. I think he knows we're not scum and that we treat him with respect too.

I wish people who worked in Post Offices would also realise I am not scum and need to be treated with the same respect as they themselves would like.

BTW, I used to work with teenagers who were benefit claimants. They literally have no idea where the money comes from, just that it's from the Job Centre. When I pointed out that it's people who work like me who pay for it - in a very simplistic view of things - they don't get it at all. They think the Government prints money, (they did that for a bit though didn't they ) to give to them.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:27 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by alcazar

I agree, there isn't an easy fix to this, as it been allowed to go too far. I's not a problem that has only just cropped up, we are seeing at least 2nd or 3rd generation scroungers, we are now beginning to see the real consequences of years of handouts. Lazy breeding more lazy.

I don't think as a country benefits can just be stopped, it'll never happen because nobody would put children out on the streets. I do however think something needs to be done with these parents, and their parents. Whether it be making them work for their benefits, so at the least they contribute something, make benefits be given in a different form (not money), assist those in lower paid work (benefits should never bring in more than working), and educate people to have some work ethic. Instead of paying people not to work, help provide cheap or free childcare so loose lips can go out to work. Take away the excuses not to work.

These are just some very basic thoughts on my part, I know only too well there isn't some easy fix. BUT, politicians are paid alot of money to run this country, and this is a major issue in it...they should be more proactive.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:31 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Childcare is already "almost" free to the low earner through that children's tax thingy - can't remember what they've called it this week I don't know what the rate is as I haven't been eligible for it for years, but I must be one of the lucky ones.

It is easier to be on benefits than to work. And besides, where are all these jobs coming from? Will we have to send some hardworking Polish person home so we can give the job to our lazy-arsed homegrown friends. I'm not sure that would happen.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I agree, there isn't an easy fix to this, as it been allowed to go too far. I's not a problem that has only just cropped up, we are seeing at least 2nd or 3rd generation scroungers, we are now beginning to see the real consequences of years of handouts. Lazy breeding more lazy.

I don't think as a country benefits can just be stopped, it'll never happen because nobody would put children out on the streets. I do however think something needs to be done with these parents, and their parents. Whether it be making them work for their benefits, so at the least they contribute something, make benefits be given in a different form (not money), assist those in lower paid work (benefits should never bring in more than working), and educate people to have some work ethic. Instead of paying people not to work, help provide cheap or free childcare so loose lips can go out to work. Take away the excuses not to work.

These are just some very basic thoughts on my part, I know only too well there isn't some easy fix. BUT, politicians are paid alot of money to run this country, and this is a major issue in it...they should be more proactive.

The problem is you tend to see these screggy types having kids young, so by the time little Lexii-Lacey-Levi-Diesel-Jayden-Deacon is born, her fat loose fannied spotty mum (born 1995) is 16 and her granny (born 1980) is 31-32 There's three generations straight away.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:39 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
The problem is you tend to see these screggy types having kids young, so by the time little Lexii-Lacey-Levi-Diesel-Jayden-Deacon is born, her fat loose fannied spotty mum (born 1995) is 16 and her granny (born 1980) is 31-32 There's three generations straight away.
Yes, and if something isn't done soon to make this lifestyle less attractive, granny is going to be great-granny by the time she's 50 (if not sooner)
Old 28 April 2011, 01:08 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

just to upset you all. I dealt with a social hsg tenant the other day.

29 yrs old. 10 kids.

I am always amazed by the names the poor like to choose for their siblings.

how's: Paris, India, Chyna and Nyron grab you.

why not just set the whole lot up to fail from birth.
Old 28 April 2011, 01:12 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think if the government did have the ***** to do what is needed there would be one hell of a crash in the housing market, all those btl property speculators would have a lot of empty properties on their hands.
Old 28 April 2011, 01:18 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by austinwrx
...Nyron...
Kim Jong Il saying, "Nylon".
Old 28 April 2011, 01:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by austinwrx
I am always amazed by the names the poor like to choose for their siblings.

how's: Paris, India, Chyna and Nyron grab you.
why oh why do people leave Trailfinder's brochures lying around the DSS offices
Old 28 April 2011, 01:39 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Childcare is already "almost" free to the low earner through that children's tax thingy - can't remember what they've called it this week I don't know what the rate is as I haven't been eligible for it for years, but I must be one of the lucky ones.

It is easier to be on benefits than to work. And besides, where are all these jobs coming from? Will we have to send some hardworking Polish person home so we can give the job to our lazy-arsed homegrown friends. I'm not sure that would happen.
Both my children had part time jobs as teenagers. They wanted extra pocket money so they earned it. My eldest daughter worked part time from 16 to 18 (during her work placement Accounts Clerk Course) then full time from 18 onwards. After the first grand child she went back part time but the wages where paying the kinder garden fees but she stuck at it. She's got morals.

Grand child number two came along nearly three years ago now but she still kept busy helping with child minding for others and is now back in work again part time. She gets £600 a month but £300 goes on childcare.
Soon the fees will goe because the grand child will be three.

She never gave up and because she spanned a financial year did not get job seekers after grand child number two.

Daughter number two as never been without work, scrubbed floors, stacked shelves, did voluteer work and as been full time for the last 8 years.

Bring them up right and they normally turn out right.

Quick Reply: The Benefit State