Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lost spare key from dealers.

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2011, 09:59 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost spare key from dealers.

I purchased a car a few weeks ago from a dealer. The spare key was separate from the rest of the keys/history and apparently at another premisis.

Upon completion of the sale it was promised that the key would be posted to me. I didn't get this in writing. The key hasn't arrived and several calls to the dealer later they reckon it was posted to me by non recorded means. Apparently the guy was going to look through his post office receipts for proof of postage. Today the wife gets a voicemail from the dealer saying it was posted 8th Feb, as yet I don't know if he has the receipt of postage as I've not spoken to him myself as yet.

So as it stands there's a lost key in the post allegedly, with my address where the car is parked on the envelope. Does the dealer have any responsibility here? I'm wondering if there was a key to begin with.
Old 24 February 2011, 10:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

How far away is the dealership?

Is it a Scoob dealership?

This is how I would deal with your problem:
1. Pop in and ask to SEE the proof of postage, if it's there.
2a) IF said proof of postage IS there and shows a car key sent to your address WITHOUT having to be signed for, I'd be after the dealership for a new set of locks and both keys.
2b( IF it's not there, ask for a new key to be ordered at their expense and either you pick it up or offer to pay for it to be sent signed for.
Old 24 February 2011, 10:47 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I purchased a car a few weeks ago from a dealer. The spare key was separate from the rest of the keys/history and apparently at another premisis.

Upon completion of the sale it was promised that the key would be posted to me. I didn't get this in writing. The key hasn't arrived and several calls to the dealer later they reckon it was posted to me by non recorded means. Apparently the guy was going to look through his post office receipts for proof of postage. Today the wife gets a voicemail from the dealer saying it was posted 8th Feb, as yet I don't know if he has the receipt of postage as I've not spoken to him myself as yet.

So as it stands there's a lost key in the post allegedly, with my address where the car is parked on the envelope. Does the dealer have any responsibility here? I'm wondering if there was a key to begin with.
Incredibly stupid thing to do - post a car key to a property - if stolen the thief has the key and address the car is likely to be at FFS!

They should have sent it recorded or held it until collected by someone with ID.
Old 24 February 2011, 10:54 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Yep. You see it on things all the time "prrof of postage is not proof of delivery"

Given the Royal Mail lose things all the time I'd say you can get new keys etc from the dealer, they'd then need to take it up with Royal Mail but as it wasn't insured against loss they might be on a loser. That said, RM will try to trace lost post just to be sure it isn't in a sorting office somewhere.

Also worth findign out the sort of envelope it was in. Was it a secure padded bag or not? Has your postie remembered handling one if they put the worng address on it, that sort of thing.

5t.
Old 24 February 2011, 12:53 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

It's not a Subaru garage, Hillmead motor company in Epsom, over an hour from me at the mercy of the m25.
Old 24 February 2011, 05:26 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Chances are they stamp the envelopes or have some form of branding on there. Might be worth asking the postie, nicely. For some reason our chap regularly delivers us nextdoor's mail!!

could also be worth just knocking on some doors too to double check. Still think you have a good case for free replacements though.

5t.
Old 24 February 2011, 05:43 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Doesn't matter either way. It's the responsibility of the dealership until the keys are delivered and in you hands. If they've failed to provide what was agreed in the sale, then it's a breach of contract and they have to rectify the situation.
Old 24 February 2011, 06:11 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a nightmare all round

Anyone could have that key and could pay you a visit in the middle of the night
Wonder if the insurance would pay out Or be difficult
A key in the wrong hands ?
Old 24 February 2011, 07:01 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Theft with the keys without a break in - I am sure the insurance company would say you hadn't taken adequete care of the keys
Old 24 February 2011, 07:04 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty.certain the.dealership never posted it.in the first place and has lost it, if they.ever had it
Old 24 February 2011, 07:17 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

That's been my suspicion from the start. I've since contacted him and he reckons he has the slip and will call me back next week. Hmmm.
Old 24 February 2011, 07:17 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Dealership has duty of care to make sure you receive the key, if they know one is out there possibly in the hands of someone who shouldn't have it they should be made to pay for new locks or at least coding on the car.

TBH it is a shocking way to do business its a key after all.
Old 24 February 2011, 08:01 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I bought an mg zt with only 1 key a few years.ago, then found out the.cost to replace it!
With my current car I think the sales guy thought I.was.a bit strange I was that obsessed with having both keys before I drove away.