Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Like I said, it's not just the Muslims!

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2010, 02:39 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Like I said, it's not just the Muslims!

24/11/2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/9225458.stm

The Catholic Church want the Scottish Football Association to sack head of refereeing Hugh Dallas if he sent an "offensive" email about the Pope.

SFA chief Stuart Regan has investigated an email seen by BBC Scotland that was forwarded from Dallas's account on the day of the Pope's visit to Scotland.

The email contains an image of a children's school crossing sign and makes reference to the Pope's visit.

The Church asks that the outcome of the SFA investigation be made public.

Catholic Church spokesman Peter Kearney urges Regan to act urgently to maintain the SFA's integrity by requesting confirmation that should the allegation be proved against Dallas he will be removed from his post.

Kearney insists the email was "totally unprofessional, gratuitously insulting to the Pope, deeply offensive to the Catholic community of Scotland, and an incitement to anti-Catholic sectarianism."

The letter goes on to say that the content of the message "is clearly a matter of some concern to the Catholic Church in Scotland" and asks for confirmation that "should the allegation be proved against Dallas, he will be removed from his post."

The email sent from the SFA account belonging to Dallas contained no text, but included an image attachment of a school crossing sign with a silhouette of an adult holding a child's hand and the word "Caution".

Beneath the sign, added text makes reference to the Pope's visit on 16 September.

In response to media reports about the email, the SFA chief executive said in a statement released on 10 November: "I can confirm I have looked into the circulation of the email reported in the media at the weekend.

"Let me state categorically that I do not condone the transmission of any email content that might cause offence to anyone.

"I have spoken with staff and the matter will now be dealt with internally, in line with the Scottish FA's Information Systems Acceptable Use Policy."
27/11/2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/9230531.stm

Head of referee development Hugh Dallas has been sacked by the Scottish Football Association after being accused of sending a tasteless e-mail.

The former World Cup referee was the subject of an internal disciplinary hearing on Thursday evening.

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan investigated reports of an email sent from Dallas's SFA account when the Pope visited Scotland on 16 September.

And, on Wednesday, a Catholic Church spokesman called on the SFA to act.

BBC Radio 5 live reported that three other SFA staff members have been dismissed, with formal warnings issued to three more.

The Catholic Church urged Scottish football's governing body to sack Dallas if it was proved he had passed on a "tasteless message" relating to the Pope's visit to Scotland.

Following Regan's investigation, the former referee was said to be taking a few days out to consider his future and the SFA added that it would not comment until that process was completed.

BBC Scotland had seen the email in question.

It was sent from the SFA account belonging to 53-year-old Dallas, contained no text but included an image attachment of a school crossing sign with a silhouette of an adult holding a child's hand and the word "caution".

Beneath the road sign were words making reference to the Pope's arrival in Scotland.

While Regan was said to have returned to his Yorkshire home, SFA president George Peat said he could not comment on Dallas's departure.

"Stewart Regan has interviewed a number of people at Hampden," he told BBC Scotland.

"I have not been in there (on Friday). I stayed away from there because, if he has dismissed anyone, any appeal from people who have been dismissed would come to me.

"I don't know if people have gone or not - that is possible.

"Some people have phoned me and told me that five have left, but I don't know how many have gone and who they might be. I don't want to get involved."

Dallas, who had been the SFA's head of referee development since June 2009, had also been under pressure in recent weeks following criticism from factions within Scottish football directed at match officials.

Celtic, in particular, had been angered by referee Dougie McDonald's decision to overturn his own award of a penalty against Dundee United on 17 October.

The SFA launched an investigation after assistant Steven Craven resigned as a result of the furore and McDonald was warned for giving a false explanation for his decision.

Craven accused Dallas of "bullying and harrassment" over the incident, although that was strenuously denied by both the referees' chief and McDonald.

Although Regan promised an overhaul of referee discipline, Celtic continued to call for tougher action taken against McDonald, with chairman John Reid calling on the referee to resign or be sacked.

Reid alluded to what he claimed was a history of bias against Celtic and supported MP Pete Wishart's suggestion that referees should reveal which football teams they support.

Celtic had also recently written to the SFA asking for clarification over a penalty awarded against them by Willie Collum during the Old Firm derby against Rangers.

Following that incident, striker Gary Hooper suggested that referees wanted to give decisions against his club.

Then, this week, Scotland's referees withdrew their labour ahead of this weekend's fixtures, complaining of undue pressure, abuse and that their integrity was being questioned.

Both Dallas and the SFA were unavailable for comment tonight. The SFA have made no official comment all day despite both Polish and Portuguese officials withdrawing their offers to cover for striking refs.

One of the striking category one referees, John McKendrick, described the departure of Dallas as a "very dark day for referees in Scotland".

"We have to remember that Hugh Dallas was a world-class operator," he said.

Pictures of Dallas, crouched on one knee with blood streaming from a head wound, are one of the most stark images in Scottish football.

In 1999, during a title decider in which three players were sent off and a penalty was awarded to Rangers, Dallas was struck on the head by a coin thrown from the Celtic section of support.

Celtic subsequently hired a behavioural psychologist to investigate Dallas's behaviour in the match.

Dallas was awarded an MBE for services to football a few months after being chosen to be the fourth official at the 2002 World Cup final.

The picture concerned:

Scottish Inquisition anyone
Old 29 November 2010, 02:44 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Well, the picture made me chuckle!
Old 29 November 2010, 02:44 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one in their right mind would sack a fella for that! It actually made me laugh!
Old 29 November 2010, 02:45 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

That last pic made me laugh! lol

but not sure what it has to do with Muslims as per the title?
Old 29 November 2010, 02:48 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Well that's Islam off the hook.
Old 29 November 2010, 02:48 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Difference being he lost his job not his head.

5t.
Old 29 November 2010, 02:49 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I guess if the caption had said mohammed instead of the pope there would be elements in society calling for his swift beheading.

5t - beat me to it!
Old 29 November 2010, 02:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Even father ted would have found that funny . . !
Old 29 November 2010, 02:52 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

IMO it was just a way to sack the ref, as Celtic fans have been after his resignation/sacking. Call me cynical if you like but I'd be interested to see how long ago the email was sent.

Aaron

Edit: So it was when the pope visited, as wrong as it was of him they have just used religion as an excuse to get rid of him IMO.

Last edited by Aaron1978; 29 November 2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Read article.
Old 29 November 2010, 02:58 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by fivetide
Difference being he lost his job not his head.

5t.

There could be no difference at all then, if the green half of Glasgow actually get hold of him
Old 29 November 2010, 03:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

They need to get their own house in order before they get all offended, many Catholic preists have been involved in child abuse and this was some satire on that, they need to stfu as really, an organisation with such skeletons in the closet shouldnt go shouting the odds and just take their time in the Doghouse, quietly.

He isnt my Pope, I can say what I want, just another old bloke to me, sure he hasnt commited any such acts but he is the head of the organisation so should take some of the flak, comes with the territory.

And at least nobody has suggested killing him, if it said that the Prophet Mohammed was coming, sacking would be the least of his worries.
Old 29 November 2010, 03:10 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Getting the sack for an email is a bit different to being executed for offering someone some water.

No matter what the belief, you will get your share of nutters - its either bad luck or bad press that appears to show a higher proportion of nutters in the muslim faith.

However, I have been to a Muslim wedding and I have to say it was the most civilised, well behaved and most well presented wedding I've ever been to and a real joy to be there.
Old 29 November 2010, 04:05 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Very stupid thing that he did given his position the sensitivity of the email content. He should have known better.

I think the difference is that the Catholic church want him sacked not beheaded or killed because of his blasphemy. No riots in the streets, nothing burned or blown up!

It took the Catholic Church a while to excommunicate Dave Allen and he was always knocking the church and that was back in the 70's

It is real intolerance and extremist/hatred of those who are viewed as transgressing the rules/laws and the punishments which may have been OK in medieval times but now look out of place often over the top given the 'crime' and are barbaric
Old 29 November 2010, 04:38 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep. He'll keep his hands and head. But will probably be the victim of sectarianism for the rest of his life.

He must be a Rangers fan
Old 29 November 2010, 05:57 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

If he got sacked for that, what would have happened if he'd posted this one....

Old 29 November 2010, 07:08 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
No matter what the belief, you will get your share of nutters - its either bad luck or bad press that appears to show a higher proportion of nutters in the muslim faith.

However, I have been to a Muslim wedding and I have to say it was the most civilised, well behaved and most well presented wedding I've ever been to and a real joy to be there.
"Oops, we've accidently written an anti-blasphemy law after we just happened to stumble across that desert book; I dunno . And, would you believe it, Mullah Mustaffa Krisjunded was trying to say "not guilty", when "hang her" slipped out instead!? I mean, what are the chances of that happening?

Of course, the flippin' press are trying to make it in to something it's not, as usual. They did exactly the same when we stoned those two queers; we were only trying get their attention . EddScott said our alcohol free wedding in the UK, where we're not allowed to fire guns in to the air, was the best behaved and well presented wedding he'd everbeen to, but the press didn't pick up on that, did they? Typical!"

Last edited by JTaylor; 29 November 2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 29 November 2010, 11:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
IMO it was just a way to sack the ref, as Celtic fans have been after his resignation/sacking. Call me cynical if you like but I'd be interested to see how long ago the email was sent.

Aaron

Edit: So it was when the pope visited, as wrong as it was of him they have just used religion as an excuse to get rid of him IMO.
I agree to some extend, but you have to acknowledge the sectarian thing with Rangers, Celtic etc. It's untenable for a referee to work in that league and have known anti-catholic prejudices, even if he may be the most non-biased on the pitch...it's perception that counts.
Old 30 November 2010, 05:21 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
"Oops, we've accidently written an anti-blasphemy law after we just happened to stumble across that desert book; I dunno . And, would you believe it, Mullah Mustaffa Krisjunded was trying to say "not guilty", when "hang her" slipped out instead!? I mean, what are the chances of that happening?

Of course, the flippin' press are trying to make it in to something it's not, as usual. They did exactly the same when we stoned those two queers; we were only trying get their attention . EddScott said our alcohol free wedding in the UK, where we're not allowed to fire guns in to the air, was the best behaved and well presented wedding he'd everbeen to, but the press didn't pick up on that, did they? Typical!"
Well I see you haven't calmed down any since you got the Panorama thread locked. Learning a lesson is all part of growing up you know
Old 30 November 2010, 07:18 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Morning f1_fan, I trust you're well. I'll simply post that thread up so people can read the last two pages or so and judge for themselves.
https://www.scoobynet.com/860982-pan...ht-bbc-13.html

Tony and I have accused you of ad hom attacks - criticising the person and not the point; looks like that's your only angle. The Panorama thread was bobbing along nicely and until you weigh in with this:
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...09&postcount=9

beacuse, of course nobody would defend the Jews unless they were Jewish,

Tony responds:
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=92

You respond:
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=93
Old 30 November 2010, 07:25 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

No point engaging him.
Old 30 November 2010, 07:40 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

After that we then have this:
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=97
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=101
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=103
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=104
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=108
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=113
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=123

and that goes on for the rest of the thread and you knew the hard of thinking would pick up on the Jewish remark and run with it, thus derailing the thread, again. This is despite me having just made this point:
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=41

You know f1_fan, you seem to follow me around alot and post things that are
untrue. It's difficult for me because I'd like to place you on ignore but I can't because often the things you say need defending. Can a please ask that you stop this constant harrassment and these personal attacks. By all means attack my points, but please stop making it about me all of the time; it's really uncomfortable.
Old 30 November 2010, 07:44 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
No point engaging him.
I know, I try not to but he manages to mis-represent me in a way that forces me to respond. Infuriating, and think that's what he's after.
Old 30 November 2010, 08:09 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How tedious
Old 30 November 2010, 08:10 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I know, I try not to but he manages to mis-represent me in a way that forces me to respond. Infuriating, and think that's what he's after.
No - you do not have to respond! - it just adds credence to the comments, best not to feed the trolls
Old 30 November 2010, 08:19 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
How tedious
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
No - you do not have to respond! - it just adds credence to the comments, best not to feed the trolls
You and Tony are right of course.
Old 30 November 2010, 11:03 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You know f1_fan, you seem to follow me around alot and post things that are
untrue. It's difficult for me because I'd like to place you on ignore but I can't because often the things you say need defending. Can a please ask that you stop this constant harrassment and these personal attacks. By all means attack my points, but please stop making it about me all of the time; it's really uncomfortable.
Good as yours and Two Personas comments make a lot of people uncomfortable. As for following you round.... hardly as have only been online for about 30 mins in the last week as am away overseas. So that will be your persecution complex coming to the fore again.

Anyway if I wish to make a comment on SN I will do - I have as much right as you!!

Same goes for the end of the Panorama thread... nothing to do with me despite what you say as haven't been online to post - you did that one all by yourself as well you know!!!
Old 30 November 2010, 11:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think the point is, did the Pope do anything to deserve the smartarse email?

Les
Old 30 November 2010, 11:40 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think the point is, did the Pope do anything to deserve the smartarse email?

Les
Yes. He accepted a post as the head of an organisation which has a child rape problem.
Old 30 November 2010, 11:41 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Good as yours and Two Personas comments make a lot of people uncomfortable.
You do this a lot; appeal to popular opinion (or what you say is) to support your position. You do realise it is a fallacy - an argumentum ad populum?
Old 30 November 2010, 11:46 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
You do this a lot; appeal to popular opinion (or what you say is) to support your position. You do realise it is a fallacy - an argumentum ad populum?
Take your own advice, Mr de Wonderful. I now have to read what he's written 'cos you've quoted it. Cease and desist. As Mr Habgood said, do not feed the troll.

Quick Reply: Like I said, it's not just the Muslims!