Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

driving experience days

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2010, 10:07 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default driving experience days

i want to do a single seater (F1 style) experience day but struggling to find a decent one, theres plenty on the net but i cant find any that last.. they only give you around 20mins driving time which is rubbish.. anyone know of any please
Old 16 November 2010, 01:56 PM
warrtster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's an offer on the single seaters at Silverstone
Old 16 November 2010, 04:17 PM
ChrisB

Got a wedge of cash? Then PalmerSport is the only place to go IMHO. Includes a session in a Formula Jaguar but no faffing with pace cars - just instructers (in the two seaters) egging you on
Old 16 November 2010, 04:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Got a wedge of cash? Then PalmerSport is the only place to go IMHO. Includes a session in a Formula Jaguar but no faffing with pace cars - just instructers (in the two seaters) egging you on
Best experience by far

Only one session in single seaters though.

Here is a sample

Palmersport

Last edited by Trout; 16 November 2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 16 November 2010, 08:40 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrtster
There's an offer on the single seaters at Silverstone
Ive done this one. Its done round the Stowe circuit. Really good fun and you are allowed to overtake. You do about 20 laps following a pace car gradually getting faster, then you come in and do a grandprix style start and about 20 more laps. The grip in the corners nearly rips your head off.
Do it
Old 16 November 2010, 10:17 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

The Silverstone ones aren't that fantastic to be honest....... you follow the instructor round for most of it at a "steady pace".

I have done a few driving experiences (brands, Silverstone & a super car one at an air field near Leicester) and to be honest, as already mentioned, the only one I would really want to go for now is the Palmer Sport experiences.

They teach you to drive beyond what you thought your limit was, rather than just going round at a limited speed.

Can anyone book the Palmer experiences or does it have to be book/corporate booking? It ain't cheap though, don't it start at something like £355+VAT for a half day??
Old 17 November 2010, 12:34 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

On the one I did you followed the pace car round until they thought you were good enough to go round on your own. We did about 20 laps on our own.
Having said that the Palmer Sport one looks worth a bash, I might give that a go.
Old 17 November 2010, 12:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I enjoyed the day at Castle Combe. Part of it was a few laps in a Formula Ford car which was enjoyable enough.

Les
Old 17 November 2010, 01:12 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
The Silverstone ones aren't that fantastic to be honest....... you follow the instructor round for most of it at a "steady pace".

I have done a few driving experiences (brands, Silverstone & a super car one at an air field near Leicester) and to be honest, as already mentioned, the only one I would really want to go for now is the Palmer Sport experiences.

They teach you to drive beyond what you thought your limit was, rather than just going round at a limited speed.

Can anyone book the Palmer experiences or does it have to be book/corporate booking? It ain't cheap though, don't it start at something like £355+VAT for a half day??
Anyone can book Palmersport - it is around £850 including VAT for the day. Weekdays in August is cheapest - weekends most expensive.
Old 17 November 2010, 01:59 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The one I did at silverstone was driving eight different cars. This included driving single seater. We followed a pace car for half a dozen laps then were let go to race each other and try set the fastest lap. We were told to respect the other drivers but over taking and late braking into cornered was allowed
Old 17 November 2010, 03:28 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Thanks to Trout, i went on a Palmersport day with him in early August and i have to say, it is one of the best motorsport days i have been on. A wide variety of cars to drive and allways allowed to push as hard as you want to.

Video of me in the same car as Trout is here http://www.vimeo.com/16924860 (currently uploading) but you will get the idea.

I have the single seater video too, which i will upload also.