Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Paxman interview with ed Miliband

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2010, 12:39 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paxman interview with ed Miliband

Last night on Newsnight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ht_29_09_2010/ starts 12.30 mins in.

I have to say I'm impressed by Ed Miliband the person, almost unpolitician-like

Now lets see some policies
Old 30 September 2010, 12:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm amazed there are so few thread about red-Ed of recent. Pete must be busy elsewhere.

He talks the talk, and certainly says alot of the right things that we want to hear, but we've been there before....we'll just have to wait and see.

In his first speech as leader, I quite loved the faces of the "old school" when he mentioned Iraq; They couldn't applaud as it would be hypocritical (Except for that vile Harmen woman, showing her usual colours), and they couldn't disagree as it would show instability and lack of support for the new leader....there they sat like gormless buffons. Classic The only honest reaction was that of David; Credit due, at least he had the ***** to point it out to Harmen the hypocrit...another classic moment.

Then we have the faces of Woodley and Simpson, the fat-cat £120K+pa union leaders; blank faced and for once in their gobby lives...were silent. Still Woodley's statement later on showing support was highly hypocritical and totally evaded Ed's stance on the Union's recent political posturing with strike threats. What's wrong Woodley? Scared you may say something that may result in Unite losing support from Ed? Awwwww.

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 September 2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 30 September 2010, 01:00 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Last night on Newsnight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ht_29_09_2010/ starts 12.30 mins in.

I have to say I'm impressed by Ed Miliband the person, almost unpolitician-like

Now lets see some policies
I'm not at all convinced by EM, I'm not sure who he speaks for. Much of his speech was pure opportunism, especially on Iraq and on the economy. I really hope he is not moving Labour off the centre ground.

Labour should be a radical progressive party, committed to public sector reform.

The big challenges for EM will start when the deficit reduction cuts start to bite.

Last edited by Martin2005; 30 September 2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 30 September 2010, 01:04 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Don't like him. Looks like a spoiled rich boy and generally a pudgyfaced numpty. Not convinced he's quick with his wits either so PM question time could be a dull for a while.

Also, he's no statesman. I know a lot of people now have kids and aren't married but I suspect most leaders would frown on it, certianly won't go well with the US and a shotgun wedding is hardly PM material.

5t.
Old 30 September 2010, 01:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As for Derek Simpson: Fail:

"Ed demonstrated he can break free from the worst of Labour's past and present a realistic alternative to the coalition's cuts."
Ed said that he will support some of the coalition's cuts. :lol1
Old 30 September 2010, 01:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Elected by the Unions.

Enough said.
Old 30 September 2010, 01:12 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

An atheist Jew with b,astard children - that's a good start for someone aiming to be PM of our country

And he got to this stage without a clue as to policies which, IMHO, is because he is intelligent and knows the Tories are mostly correct in their plans.

All he can do is to come up with the old cliches along with "New Generation" which is meaningless fluff.

Plus the world knows that big brother would be better all round aside from some smug union leaders.

Sort of bloke you would expect to meet in a Jaguar car showroom.

dl
Old 30 September 2010, 01:18 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
An atheist Jew with b,astard children - that's a good start for someone aiming to be PM of our country

And he got to this stage without a clue as to policies which, IMHO, is because he is intelligent and knows the Tories are mostly correct in their plans.

All he can do is to come up with the old cliches along with "New Generation" which is meaningless fluff.

Plus the world knows that big brother would be better all round aside from some smug union leaders.

Sort of bloke you would expect to meet in a Jaguar car showroom.

dl
That is disgusting - an absolute insult to car salesmen worldwide!
Old 30 September 2010, 01:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I'm not at all convinced by EM, I'm not sure who he speaks for. Much of his speech was pure opportunism, especially on Iraq and on the economy. I really hope he is not moving Labour off the centre ground.

Labour should be a radical progressive party, committed to public sector reform.

The big challenges for EM will start when the deficit reduction cuts start to bite.

What did you expect him to say about Iraq or the economy then? Would he have been better to have told the usual NL lies about them?

Should he have said that the attack on Iraq was absloutely legal and did not destroy the country's infrastructure killing thousands of innocents at all, and that it is a great improvement now that an average of 10 Iraqis a day are being killed by terrorist bombs!

How much radical progression which actually did any good at all did you see since 1997 Martin? Apart from elevating the National Debt out of sight!

Les
Old 30 September 2010, 01:58 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
What did you expect him to say about Iraq or the economy then? Would he have been better to have told the usual NL lies about them?

How much radical progression which actually did any good at all did you see since 1997 Martin? Apart from elevating the National Debt out of sight!

Les

Les 'the usual NL lies' is just another media driven piece of nonsense you CHOOSE to believe.

Considering EM was Browns 'bag man' and wrote large parts of the last manifesto it's kind of difficult for him to suddenly claim that they were wrong.

As for public sector reform, well it's (as I've stated at least 100,000 times on here) NL biggest failure. The problem is there was not the political will needed to change things, really change things, alter the structures, change the priorities, and ultimately put the public at the heart of the public sector. Instead we got New Labour vs Old Labour and the MASSIVE vested interest in the status quo ante.

That said there was some significant improvements like foundation hospitals for instance are directionally OK. There was some good education reforms along the way too. Not radical enough though unfortunately.

The Conservatives have the chance to build on these and drive through strong public sector reforms, if they do this then they get my total support

As for Iraq, well that's a murky old issue too isn't, there are consequences of inaction as well as action were there not?

Last edited by Martin2005; 30 September 2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 30 September 2010, 02:01 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Should he have said that the attack on Iraq was absloutely legal and did not destroy the country's infrastructure killing thousands of innocents at all, and that it is a great improvement now that an average of 10 Iraqis a day are being killed by terrorist bombs!

Les
The bombs are the Terrorists' fault.
Old 30 September 2010, 03:56 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Anyone who thinks the public sector can`t be trimmed WITHOUT loss, look here.
Is just goes to show if you want to do things, do it properly.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/d...es/4od#3122150

Lets NOT forget Labour took our debt repayments to more than the whole defence budget.
THAT is pure CRIMINAL.

Last edited by Jimbob; 30 September 2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 30 September 2010, 04:27 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Lock
An atheist Jew with b,astard childrenl

Why would any of those matter? Personally I couldn't care if he was a disabled black lesbian with a speak impediment if I thought she could run the country. Far better than some politico with a nice public wife and 2.4 public children, who very publically attends church, but is actually an athiest and boffing his secretary.

M
Old 30 September 2010, 04:40 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I found his speechg irritating often deluded going off at obscure tangents with regards to Browns achievements, WTF was the whole kids not being killed by malaria about ? obvioulsy Brown does have a legacy after all. I just found him very Blairesque in his technique gesticulations and voice, he should be doing the Tunes adverts with that nasal complaint.

Labour made a rod for their own backs allowing the Bros to both stand, there will always be those crowing on about David and Ed will probably be remembered as the leader who nicked it off his Brother I just cant see this guy making PM.

Cambo will eat him for dinner, so would Clegg.
Old 30 September 2010, 05:56 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
Why would any of those matter? Personally I couldn't care if he was a disabled black lesbian with a speak impediment if I thought she could run the country. Far better than some politico with a nice public wife and 2.4 public children, who very publically attends church, but is actually an athiest and boffing his secretary.

M
I agree 100%. Using his ethic/religious origin and marital status is a disgusting attack.
Old 30 September 2010, 06:52 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I dont like the way he speaks out of just one side of his mouth.
Old 30 September 2010, 06:54 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
True. But .... EdAche is the one that goes on about family values - and couldn't find the time to go and sign the birth register for his first-born! I mean, come on. Too busy!!!!!!!!!!! That is one thing you are never too busy for.

Dave
Signing a bit of paper makes you are good parent?
Old 30 September 2010, 06:57 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

, almost unpolitician-like
That worries me.
Old 30 September 2010, 07:05 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_

M

I'm afraid that I have not quite got to the stage when I would have no problem with a "disabled black lesbian with a speak impediment" running the country just yet. Just my immaturity I suppose.

Many of the Jewish people I know tend to be fairly religious and are not going to be happy with Milibands attitude, especially his rejection of God. So that's a significant part of the population. I also believe that marriage is important and, again, my old fashioned belief is that it is wrong to bring up kids outside of a married environment, quite deliberately it seems, in Miliband's case.

I quite accept that I am out of touch with the Britain of 2010. so my apologies if I have have caused you offence.

dl
Old 30 September 2010, 07:13 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I would counter that there are an even more significant part of the population that doesn't practice religion of any type.

I brought my 1st child into a non married environment, you know, life partners sharing a mortgage but not a piece of paper. I am married now though, still have the same life partner but the mortgage has swelled a bit
Old 30 September 2010, 07:16 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I would counter that there are an even more significant part of the population that doesn't practice religion of any type.

I brought my 1st child into a non married environment, you know, life partners sharing a mortgage but not a piece of paper. I am married now though, still have the same life partner but the mortgage has swelled a bit
Are you glad they allowed gay marriage?
Old 30 September 2010, 07:20 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

I'm taken now stop flirting
Old 30 September 2010, 07:36 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

No. But NOT signing this particular piece of paper points to the guy's priorities. How will he explain to his son, when he's old enough (I think it's a boy anyway) why 'Daddy's name isn't on his birth certificate'? 'Sorry son, but I was at a global warming conference ..' .... 'Wwwwaaahhhhhhhhhh...'.

If you don't get it there is no more to say .....

Dave
You don't care about climate change?
Old 30 September 2010, 08:01 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

The only politician I have found convincing,appealing and charismatic over the last however many years has been Tony Blair.

Changed my vote at the time he arrived and not really seen anyone Labour who would remotely convince me to change my vote from very blue again .Not that the blues or anyone else have anyone either!

Totally characterless bunch and nothing at all Dynamic about Ed IMHO
Old 30 September 2010, 08:08 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

No. But NOT signing this particular piece of paper points to the guy's priorities. How will he explain to his son, when he's old enough (I think it's a boy anyway) why 'Daddy's name isn't on his birth certificate'? 'Sorry son, but I was at a global warming conference ..' .... 'Wwwwaaahhhhhhhhhh...'.

If you don't get it there is no more to say .....

Dave
He can get it added when he is next at the registary office. Also, had he'd been married, his wife could have put his name down in his absence - but because he wasn't married - not allowed. Good job too, protect all blokes from those evil single mums
Old 01 October 2010, 03:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Les 'the usual NL lies' is just another media driven piece of nonsense you CHOOSE to believe.

Considering EM was Browns 'bag man' and wrote large parts of the last manifesto it's kind of difficult for him to suddenly claim that they were wrong.

As for public sector reform, well it's (as I've stated at least 100,000 times on here) NL biggest failure. The problem is there was not the political will needed to change things, really change things, alter the structures, change the priorities, and ultimately put the public at the heart of the public sector. Instead we got New Labour vs Old Labour and the MASSIVE vested interest in the status quo ante.

That said there was some significant improvements like foundation hospitals for instance are directionally OK. There was some good education reforms along the way too. Not radical enough though unfortunately.

The Conservatives have the chance to build on these and drive through strong public sector reforms, if they do this then they get my total support

As for Iraq, well that's a murky old issue too isn't, there are consequences of inaction as well as action were there not?
Did he write Blair's Manifesto Martin, and did he create the fiddled intelligence to say that Brits could be under threat from WMD in 45 minutes? Did he produce the "dodgy dossier" in an attempt to fool the House and the rest of the country?

Incidentally, how refreshing it is to see Harriet Harperson jumping ship from her support of Billy Liar and the attack on Iraq to her new allegiance to EM and his opinion on Iraq! She knows which side her bread is buttered on!

Made me feel sick to see it! Even David Millimetre reacted to that one!

Les

Quick Reply: Paxman interview with ed Miliband