Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Will BP invoke chapter 11 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2010, 09:40 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Will BP invoke chapter 11 ?

Given the enormity of the claims building against BP , will they limit their liability by invoking chapter 11 ?
There appears to be so many fraudulent claims from chancers that genuine claims may well finish in the bin !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapter...ed_States_Code
Old 12 June 2010, 10:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt that BP will be getting that close to bankruptcy really.

Les
Old 12 June 2010, 01:51 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought BP had already stated that someone else was responsible for the fire and collapse of the rig? meaning they will be pushing the blame of large claims onto a third party.
Old 12 June 2010, 02:19 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rig was run by another company (TransOcean) but the Blow out Preventer was the resposibility of BP AFAIK.

The guys from BP will be thinking about the reputation of the company and BP mentioned £5.2 billion in cash reserves which could be made available without harm to any of BP's operations.

Shaun
Old 12 June 2010, 02:22 PM
kwaks
Scooby Newbie

The blame is being pushed onto BP by US politicians (read Obama).

The reasons for this are easy to see, BP already has a poor image in US after a fatal explosion at a refinery last year, the President likes to show he is being tough on foreign companies, and probably most importantly the work being done which actually caused the explosion and resulting leak was being carried out by Haliburton.

This is the same Haliburton which the Bush family and other high profile politicians have immense stakes in. The same Haliburton who waltzed into 80% of the contracts in Iraq after US invaded. The same Haliburton who pushed for the war in Iraq to get almost blanket coverage of Iraq & Kuwaited oilfields. The same Haliburton who the politicians will never critisise.

So easiest way to protect the image and *ahem* reputation of Haliburton? Blame the foreign oil company who contracted them (prob under pressure to do so) who obviously have a poor safety contract due to the refinery incident.

I have seen first hand the BP safety culture. It is faultless and if anything it goes too far. I have also seen the attitude to safety displayed by US oilworkers and companies.

I know who was really responsible if blame is justified.
Old 12 June 2010, 02:31 PM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

I can't see them getting any where near bankruptcy. I read somewhere that the daily cost of the spill is £23 million per day, but they make £66 million per day.
Old 12 June 2010, 05:40 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also worth bearing in mind that BP only have a 65% share of the well, Anadarko have 25% and Mitsibushi o&g have 10% - at some point BP will get back 35% of costs of the incident.
As for blame, wouldn't like to says, but Transocean operated the rig, Haliburton cemented the well, and the BOP (which is a fail safe device) was made by Cameron - there's a lot of companies in the frame here and a few are American based.
Old 12 June 2010, 05:52 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

The news said the clean up has currently cost them 1.6 billion and last years dividends was 2.5 billion and they can get hold of 15 billion (all rough figures) I doubt it will be the end of BP.
Old 12 June 2010, 07:25 PM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kwaks
probably most importantly the work being done which actually caused the explosion and resulting leak was being carried out by Haliburton.
Total rubbish, the work that was done by Halliburton prior to the blow out did not cause it, the casing was cemented in place 24 hrs earlier by Halliburton and successfully pressure tested as per the BP work instructions.
Quoting a few internet conspiracy theories involving Halliburton doesn't make your accusations true.
I'm a Halliburton employee and have been cementing wells for 14 years for various different companies and I can honestly say that Halliburton is one of the safest companies I've worked for.
Old 12 June 2010, 07:38 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

What effect could BP have if they told Obama to foof off and ceased all operations in the US ? Given their dependence on oil and the associated jobs, can BP get tough back at the President ? The collateral financial damage would be huge the world over, but especially in the US, and especially their pensions provisions ! Obama wants to be seen as being the tough guy, but can they hoof him in the ***** and run ? I'm sure China would take up much of the excess oil BP would have to spare.
Old 12 June 2010, 09:30 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by corradoboy
What effect could BP have if they told Obama to foof off and ceased all operations in the US ?
I was thinking along similar lines, and while they are at it they could bring in "outsiders" to help with the cleanup rather than paying coastal Merkins $1,200 a day to tidy up the mess caused by their SUV dependency!

mb
Old 12 June 2010, 11:19 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I heard that after this is all finished BP should still be in credit in their bank by over 13 billion $.
The same person told me the minute shares drop to £2 then buy all you can afford!!!!
Old 13 June 2010, 01:46 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very very slim to no chance of that happening. So they can get their hands on 15 billion now... That's nothing. Even if costs are wildy higher than that, they will be spread over many many years and be easily paid out of earnings.
Old 13 June 2010, 02:04 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Transocean don't have a very good safety record apparently.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...S-partner.html
Old 13 June 2010, 02:22 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Transocean don't have a very good safety record apparently.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...S-partner.html
I've spent five years working for them in the North Sea, by far the worst drilling company out there, but also the biggest drilling company out there.

Just due to the amount or rigs they own and amount of personel they employ they will always have a higher incident rate than anybody else.