Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Do you believe in a god?
Yes
24.76%
No
62.86%
Doesn't bother me either way
3.81%
I'm undecided.
8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Who believes there is a god?

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2010, 10:59 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who believes there is a god?

So I'm just curious really.

*Before posting, this is not a religion bashing thread*

A mate and i are both complete atheists who do not believe in any religion at all, and we both strongly follow science theories for what and why. I do though, appreciate people who have religious beliefs as its their right to believe such things. But for me i just can't see enough proof for religion to be true.

What do you believe scoobynet

Oh and the reason i am asking is i was having a chat with a Muslim taxi driver on the way home yesterday (long journey) and we got on to the subject as he pulled over to pray (for the record he asked if i would mind if he pulled over quickly as he needed to pray, he also insisted that if i did mind he would wait till later, plus i got money off the price )
Old 25 April 2010, 11:03 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Can those voting yes please state so in this thread. That way I will know who are the brainwashed idiots like the taxi driver in question.
Old 25 April 2010, 11:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Every time the sun comes up in the morning
Old 25 April 2010, 11:09 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Can those voting yes please state so in this thread. That way I will know who are the brainwashed idiots like the taxi driver in question.
Now now lets not start bashing them. Einstein thought there is a god and hes no fool

For those who believe that religion is for the weak and needy, do you ever wonder that religion is a good way for a family to remain close and have good family values?
Old 25 April 2010, 11:10 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I respect other peoples beliefs religion and atheists alike. However these smug atheists who belittle other peoples beliefs whilst believing that the universe was created from nothing, and that it is infinite although the current science they so readily believe in shows this theory to be impossible
Old 25 April 2010, 11:16 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Now now lets not start bashing them. Einstein thought there is a god and hes no fool

For those who believe that religion is for the weak and needy, do you ever wonder that religion is a good way for a family to remain close and have good family values?
He was deluded on that theory is all I know. Believe in a god ='s brainwashed idiot in my eyes. The worst of the groups being Jehovah witness followed by muslims and catholics. I actually rather despise what they stand for.
Old 25 April 2010, 11:20 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

He was deluded on that theory is all I know. Believe in a god ='s brainwashed idiot in my eyes. The worst of the groups being Jehovah witness followed by muslims and catholics. I actually rather despise what they stand for.

Why?????

I chose to believe in God as my Dad was the best thing in my life. When he died, I needed to believe he was somewhere, other than a pile of ash.
It pleases me to think that there is a God, does not make me a brainwashed idiot though
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I respect other peoples beliefs religion and atheists alike. However these smug atheists who belittle other peoples beliefs whilst believing that the universe was created from nothing, and that it is infinite although the current science they so readily believe in shows this theory to be impossible
I'm not one of the smug ones, i promise

My issue is that there has been proof to show that evolution is true etc etc, and concepts of heaven and hell don't really work IMO, but it may do for others and that's fine. But i can say hand on heart if one day proof was discovered that there was a god, and one of the religions was right then i would follow the faith.

Even though its believed that everything started from nothing, or something tiny, that is just one of many theories, just like there are many different religions. But the thing with science that works for me is it will constantly change as things are discovered.

For example, Christians follow a religion based on a book thats over 2000 years old. If science just had one book that was of a similar age then it would state that the earth was flat etc and that would be that,

but then when man discovered dinosaur bones the research was done and theories were developed and more or less proved, but religion still has to follow that certain things happened and thats it, regardless of discoveries that dis prove those things in question.
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I believe in God. dl
Old 25 April 2010, 11:23 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Why?????

I chose to believe in God as my Dad was the best thing in my life. When he died, I needed to believe he was somewhere, other than a pile of ash.
It pleases me to think that there is a God, does not make me a brainwashed idiot though
You've just proved my point. your weakness and desire to believe in something which you know to be false creates a 'god'. your dad is gone and is just a pile of ash as you put it. He is also represented on this world by you and in your DNA and his guidance as a parent he lives on. Sorry to be blunt but that's the truth and it should be enough.
Old 25 April 2010, 11:23 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Why?????

That's fine then and that works for you. I'm not going to say as i don't want to offend but my biggest problem about it all is the idea of heaven. Although i don't believe in god i would like to think deceased relatives were somewhere nice.

But then the science theories for that are parallel universes and so on but thats a different conversation for a different day
Old 25 April 2010, 11:25 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

That's fine then and that works for you. I'm not going to say as i don't want to offend but my biggest problem about it all is the idea of heaven. Although i don't believe in god i would like to think deceased relatives were somewhere nice.

But then the science theories for that are parallel universes and so on but thats a different conversation for a different day
Why are you so against saying it as you see it? The fact we pander to these religious groups is the reason there's so many problems in the world. It's the biggest con, lie whatever you want to call it.
Old 25 April 2010, 11:26 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Well i think he thought there was a god as after all of his work when he couldn't get his head round some things he did what all physicists did and filled the gaps in (dark matter anyone?) and decided that their must have been a god or a higher power to cause everything. But then again there could have been something that caused 'the big bang' other than an almighty one.
Old 25 April 2010, 11:26 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You could say the same about atheists though who blindly follow science, no matter how wrong it turns out to be.

Prime example acid rain when I was a kid, we were shown many videos at school on how acid rain was going to melt our limestone buildings, and we would have to wear rubber macs as the rain could burn our skin. total bollix of course but at the time this was supported by scientific experts.
Old 25 April 2010, 11:28 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Why are you so against saying it as you see it? The fact we pander to these religious groups is the reason there's so many problems in the world. It's the biggest con, lie whatever you want to call it.
I just don't want to offend, when it starts involving loved ones it can become personal.

I think that if there was no religion, man would have something else to argue about.
Old 25 April 2010, 11:30 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

You could say the same about atheists though who blindly follow science, no matter how wrong it turns out to be.

Prime example acid rain when I was a kid, we were shown many videos at school on how acid rain was going to melt our limestone buildings, and we would have to wear rubber macs as the rain could burn our skin. total bollix of course but at the time this was supported by scientific experts.
That is of course the dis advantage of science, but i feel it does adapt well in full. But like i say i could be just as likely to be wrong about what i believe than any religious follower. Who knows perhaps scientology is the correct one.,
Old 25 April 2010, 11:30 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Well i think he thought there was a god as after all of his work when he couldn't get his head round some things he did what all physicists did and filled the gaps in (dark matter anyone?) and decided that their must have been a god or a higher power to cause everything. But then again there could have been something that caused 'the big bang' other than an almighty one.
lack of understanding or knowledge does not = the existence of a god. Even if you are the most intelligent human ever that understanding may be beyond you.

The fact us humans think we are oh so special is our biggest weakness. intelligence will always bring more questions than answers. We have to be able too deal with that and those that can without resorting to fabricated gods are the strongest people on this planet. Those who have to believe in something to make them feel they have a place or are not finite beings are the weak deluded fools.
Old 25 April 2010, 11:32 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Who's blindly following science? Most people question science and always will. It's is not about science v's 'god'. science is only about the pursuit of knowledge and understanding. Religion is about the blind faith in something with no evidence aka brainwashing.
Old 25 April 2010, 11:34 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

You've just proved my point. your weakness and desire to believe in something which you know to be false creates a 'god'. your dad is gone and is just a pile of ash as you put it. He is also represented on this world by you and in your DNA and his guidance as a parent he lives on. Sorry to be blunt but that's the truth and it should be enough.

Weakness - desire - false. No
You have no idea who you are talking too or anything about me.
I believe in God because I do. End of.
To make a statement saying someone is weak because of their beliefs is not only discrespectful it is also downright rude.
The OP asked if anyone believes in God, I do. If you or anyone else does not like that, tough. No need to try to make me feel small because of what I chose to believe
Old 25 April 2010, 11:35 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I just don't want to offend, when it starts involving loved ones it can become personal.

I think that if there was no religion, man would have something else to argue about.
It's not being personal. Religion is so controlling and the fact we allow it to be so is wrong in my opinion. If you believe so then have the ***** to say it. Nobody wants to upset somebody else but just as it's Ok to let a child believe a pet went to a better place we all know that the truth is they must face the harsh reality in later life. Why is that any different when a loved one dies?

Lets argue about something with substance and not something which is a tool to control the weak of mind.
Old 25 April 2010, 11:37 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Weakness - desire - false. No
You have no idea who you are talking too or anything about me.
I believe in God because I do. End of.
To make a statement saying someone is weak because of their beliefs is not only discrespectful it is also downright rude.
The OP asked if anyone believes in God, I do. If you or anyone else does not like that, tough. No need to try to make me feel small because of what I chose to believe
You believe in god to give you personal comfort. perfectly understandable. It's one of the cornerstones of what organised religion is based on. You're in my opinion deluded though. You don't care I think that so it's of no consequence.
Old 25 April 2010, 11:39 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

You believe in god to give you personal comfort. perfectly understandable. It's one of the cornerstones of what organised religion is based on. You're in my opinion deluded though. You don't care I think that so it's of no consequence.
Deluded now. Christ. I'm out of this thread
Old 25 April 2010, 11:44 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Who's blindly following science? Most people question science and always will. It's is not about science v's 'god'. science is only about the pursuit of knowledge and understanding. Religion is about the blind faith in something with no evidence aka brainwashing.
Yet science has convinced people God does not exist, has science managed to explore every corner of the universe to prove this theory?

my Dad spoke fluent English, German And Latin so I would not have considered him a brainwashed moron. However upon his death I found that he was a devout Christian. Would this make him a brainashed moron?
Old 25 April 2010, 11:45 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

lack of understanding or knowledge does not = the existence of a god. Even if you are the most intelligent human ever that understanding may be beyond you.

The fact us humans think we are oh so special is our biggest weakness. intelligence will always bring more questions than answers. We have to be able too deal with that and those that can without resorting to fabricated gods are the strongest people on this planet. Those who have to believe in something to make them feel they have a place or are not finite beings are the weak deluded fools.
Fair comment, but my point with Einstein is that he was not one to believe we are here for a reason or whatever, he just thought there must have been something to kick it all off, and since what was kicked off was everything as we know it, then in theory there would have been nothing ti initiate it, so the higher power or whatever it was that started the supposed big bang was just labeled as a god.

What would be your reaction if tomorrow you woke up and it was somehow proved that a certain religion was true. I know this will sound ridiculous but what if they somehow found god and could prove it, how would you react?
Old 25 April 2010, 11:51 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

we have proof of science and the laws of nature that made our world. its all here right infront of our eyes and all around us.

do we have proof of god, or gods, whoever he/they are? i dont think so, just some book...
Old 25 April 2010, 11:54 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by wrighty338
we have proof of science and the laws of nature that made our world. its all here right infront of our eyes and all around us.

do we have proof of god, or gods, whoever he/they are? i dont think so, just some book...
Science dictates that you cannot create something out of nothing.It also dictates that nothing goes on forever. Care to explain thee enigmas?
Old 26 April 2010, 12:01 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Science dictates that you cannot create something out of nothing.It also dictates that nothing goes on forever. Care to explain thee enigmas?
It may never be able to be answered, But just as they explore places on earth to find out things about space, the fact that evolution has been proved and they have skeleton fossils of each stage shows that we as a species are and have been developing, so perhaps on that basis it points towards a scientific explanation rather than a religious one.

But if there was a god where would he/she/it be? and would this god be a real thing, made of the same elements that we know of, or would it be a spiritual thing?

To me there are so many more ifs and buts on the backrounds for religions and gods than there is for science. This is purely because our scientific knowledge evolves like we do, but the religious stuff was decided a long time ago and that's that.
Old 26 April 2010, 12:03 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Science dictates that you cannot create something out of nothing.
Is this referring to the big bang, where (i believe) the 4 forces existed as one super force and split off creating the universe? if so do the 4 forces count as nothing? or do you think someone made us? care to share your 2 pence?

It also dictates that nothing goes on forever. Care to explain thee enigmas?
no not really, if i could id probably where a white jacket for a living and earn a lot of money
Old 26 April 2010, 12:07 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Two good things have come from religion; architecture, and morality. However, the number of people who have died in the name of this mass hysteria outweighs any benefit to humankind, and makes a mockery of the morality it has tried to instil.
Old 26 April 2010, 12:11 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Two good things have come from religion; architecture, and morality. However, the number of people who have died in the name of this mass hysteria outweighs any benefit to humankind, and makes a mockery of the morality it has tried to instil.
Spot on.

Quick Reply: Who believes there is a god?