Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Uni in Sheffield or Manchester?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2002, 09:03 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've applied for MEng Aerospace Engineering starting in Sept/Oct this year at several places, but have shortlisted it to UMIST (Manchester) or Sheffield.
Anyone got any recommendations of where I should go? Anyone been to either and have recommendations on which halls to choose etc (or are you all too old, what with (most of you) being able to insure Scooby Turbos an all )
I go to Manchester fairly often, so know it moderately well, not the case for Sheff so would be interested in info on the city etc.
Is Sheffield as safe as they were making out on the open day? I'll be wanting to take my car (Impreza 1.6GL) if possible.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Cheers,
Ben
Old 25 March 2002, 09:50 PM
Chris_S199
Scooby Regular

(Jen using Chris' computer)

I'm the person to ask! I did a BA(hons) Geog at Sheffield and then my PGCE in Manchester, not UMIST though (graduated last year...).

Both cities have advantages...however, I think Sheffield was the best! (I miss it now...1/3 of Graduates stay there after Uni.. - I'm going back in May!). Sheffield is an increadibly safe city, people walk around without a problem at night, you rarely get any hastle...although obviously it's still a city The University has a completely unrivalled social life - whilst there I was a member of many clubs inlc. womens basketball and Ultimate Frisbee (!) Excellent. They've recently re-done the Union and Bar One is great - you can even get a bacon sandwich when the club nights finish at 2am

Excellent free gym and swimming, lots of pubs in walking distance (everywheres in walking distance!), big arena for events, Meadowhall, bus drivers call you "love" - even if you're a bloke!

Manchesters a completely different city - more like a city. You don't walk on your own and I'd get a good alarm for the Scoob I had my Corsa there for a week when I found it half way up a pavement having been rammed when parked (small bloke of flats away from the main rd.) rang the police and they told me to watch it for the next week as it's probably 'cos they're testing for an alarm...10 days later - broken window, missing CD player. This is a good area! However, it's not all bad!! Manchester has some excellent things to offer, the curry mile is a classic, it has Trafford Centre (hey - I am a girl ), very geared up to students so you won't be alone. Oh, and the 328 in Withington is a great Chinesse

Overall, Sheffield was my favourite - but that's just my opinion! I've never seen a city as friendly..i.e. the chip shop owners make an effort to learn your name and Scotts Pantry nr the Uni makes the best butties Oh, and the Uni has a great reputation..

Chris - my bloke went to Manchester, he just said he prefered Manchester as Sheffield had hills

Sorry for the long e-mail, I've got too many excellent memories! E-mail me if I can help any more...

Jen

jennifer.rees@hants.gov.uk

P.S Halls - I went to Halifax in Sheff (small hall - great atmosphere) Ranmoor (sp?) has quite a harsh rep. and is only for the "rugby lads" really (and hockey!) All the others are great
Old 25 March 2002, 10:06 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Hi
I have lived in Manchester(poly) and Sheffield,plus my bro went to Sheffield college and my best mate lives in Sheffield.

Comparing the 2 cities imo Sheffield is the best.I love the place.
As for safety Sheffield has its blackspots but in general its fine.
Manchester overall has a darker atmosphere to it.
(Having said that i got my car nicked in Shefield and nothing ever happened to me in Mancs)
Still its Sheffield for me,

Paul
Old 25 March 2002, 10:22 PM
Dr Lurve
Scooby Regular

I have been to uni at both, both good cities for different reasons. M/c good for clubs and nightlife, Sheffield good too, Shefs excellent for getting out into the fells and crags. I would say Sheffield is a cheaper place to live and probably generally safer, M/c can get a lot of gang rivalary going on from time to time (but easy to avoid) and the drug culture is all around. UMIST has got an excellent reputation and good for post grad studies if you fancy that.

Difficult choice, but a good dilemma to be in. Which ever way you decide, best of luck, Jen.
Old 25 March 2002, 10:24 PM
Dr Lurve
Scooby Regular

Jen, yum scotts pantry and chelsea buns at the Union, glad to hear nothing has changed!!

Old 25 March 2002, 11:52 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

SHEFFIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I went to Uni there for a number of years and it f00kin rocks!

Great Uni('s), great bars/clubs/nightlife, cheap beer, loads of good shops (town & Meadowhall), b*gger all crime, frienldy people, central UK location, feels like a big town more than a big city, really near to the countryside, etc... I could go on all night actually!

A few of my mates have actually stopped and are working/living there now. In fact, I would have stopped there too if I didn't work where I do, maybe one day.

I go back all the time and I love it.

Some of my friends went to Manchester (I had a place but turned it down) and both cities are superb, but I prefer Sheff. Manchester is more of a city, if you know what I mean?!

As soon as I went to Sheffield for my interview I knew that was where I wanted to go...

Old 26 March 2002, 10:11 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Have you considered Southampton -- they have a good rep for aero eng?
Old 26 March 2002, 05:04 PM
Chris_S199
Scooby Regular

(Jen using Chris' computer...)

Jen - they were great! Miss the butties and the Union quite alot..can't wait to visit in May

Just not the same down south...or having a job!

Jen
Old 26 March 2002, 06:24 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for the replies everyone! Much appreciated.
Looks like Sheffield is winning, I think it's 90% now that I'll put there as my first choice and UMIST as my insurance choice.
Will look forward to the butties

Yes I have considered Southampton, have an offer from there, and have visited an open day there, but I decided it's too far from home (North Wales) to be able to bring the washing back regularly enough Seriously, it was going to be very awkward having a car there, and it's 3 changes and 7 hours home on the train, so I decided against it. Shame as I liked the sound of the course and the city seemed nice.

Thanks everyone.
Old 26 March 2002, 07:32 PM
Chris_S199
Scooby Regular

Cool

(Jen using Chris computer)

Good choise scoobyster! You'll definatly have a laugh...and hopefully get a good degree!

If you fancy a visit to Manchester, it's only just over an hour on the train anyway - it's all good!! (not that you would though...)

Oh - and seriously - check out the butties, Scotspantry is on the corner of Durham rd/Glossop Rd behind the Octagon Centre and Students Union, don't worry - it'll all make sense when you get there...very reasonable too!

Have fun, enjoy the cheap drinks and great pubs...if you're looking at a house in a year, Broomhill is a great place to live..

Jen
Old 02 October 2002, 06:59 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

An update for those that replied (thanks again ), and everyone else that's interested.
Applied to Sheffield as my 1st choice, and UMIST as insurance back in the Spring. Entry for Sheff was ABB and I only ended up with BBC (+ half an A for my AS, so actually equivalent points to AAB), but they took me anyway and here I am
Madness of freshers week is over now and I'm into my first week of study, going well so far but I seem to have a fair bit more scheduled lectures and tutorials than most people which seems a bit unfair when they get to lie in! The union is great with lots of varied stuff going on, and I really like the city itself from what I've got to see so far. Bit gutted that I'm going to have to miss the Freshers Ball on Sat, but it is £25 per ticket which seems a bit much for something in the union.
My hall is the only slight downside, I'm at Earnshaw which is a bit tired and dated - there are plans to sell off some of them to private companies to make some £s for refurbishment etc. The main downside is I have no net access from my room so Scoobynetting has become severely limited ! There is a computer room in the hall to tide me over at least.
Haven't as yet managed to find Scotts Pantry! All there seems to be where Durham Rd and Glossop Rd meet is the Education Building and its car park They look pretty 80s so I doubt they're recently built ! Am I in the right place? - just near the door to Bar One in the union (round the back)...? Seen as it comes so highly recommended I though I ought to make the effort in finding out about it.
Have left my car at home for the time being, going to look around for a garage to rent somewhere that's convenient for the hall, as cars in the carpark get wheelybins put on their roofs an so on
Any other recommendations on stuff to do, places to go, location of Scotts pantry or a good alternative..!

Cheers,
Ben