Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Inflation rate jumps to 2.9%

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2010, 01:10 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Inflation rate jumps to 2.9%

Could this be the start of the pain we must all face due to the Worldwide Crisis and the saving of Banks?

Interesting, high inflation will erode our National debt quicker and with less pain ..... but, there is a lot of money sloshing around in the system driving up prices!

I've seen the Town Centres heaving, everyone appears to be spending!

Interest Rates to start an upward climb before the Election?
Old 19 January 2010, 01:12 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

The government won't allow interest rates to climb before the election. That would erode house prices which is what the middle classes base their wealth upon.

Steve
Old 19 January 2010, 01:14 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Your home town is getting a new face lift this year £30m so they say
Old 19 January 2010, 01:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Expect inflation to be manipulated again by the Government near April time. Just about when most people are expecting a pay rise. And we know Gordon isn't wanting people to have a pay rise this year.

I never got one last year either.
Old 19 January 2010, 01:29 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Civil Servants are being held at 1% .... if Inflation holds high then I see some very annoyed Government workers!
Old 19 January 2010, 01:32 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

2% you muppet
Old 19 January 2010, 01:33 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I thought they were only getting 1% this year and then 1% in 2011??
Old 19 January 2010, 01:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Could this be the start of the pain we must all face due to the Worldwide Crisis and the saving of Banks?

Interesting, high inflation will erode our National debt quicker and with less pain ..... but, there is a lot of money sloshing around in the system driving up prices!

What has happened to you Pete?

You are agreeing with what I forecast a while ago!

Mind you, if your hero had not chucked our money away whan he was Chancellor, we would be much better placed.

Les
Old 19 January 2010, 01:50 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Old 19 January 2010, 01:51 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Would be a catastrophe any time soon

TX.

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Old 19 January 2010, 02:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
And inflation will erode people's savings sooner than you can say 'Nurse, fetch me my bedpan!'!!!

Oh well, rampant inflation, unions on the warpath, huge national debt. Wonder what period this reminds me of? Oh yes, late 70's .... Another FAILED commie government, only this time we'll be paying for it for decades.

Dave
Commie????? OMG this place gets dafter!!!

We'll be paying for it for decades as we have not had a long termist government in power for over 30 years and won't be getting one any time soon. The colours of the rosettes matter little. This government and the previous one were made up of career politicians and whether you elect Cameron or Brown that is what you will be getting again.

The present situation is a direct result of Thatcher's dog eat dog society and her desire to create an economy based on the financial services sector followed by 13 years of short termist policies to make people think they were well off when in fact their 'worth' was built on nothing more than perceived value and credit.

They are not going to make this country better, not now, not ever. They just don't care about the likes of you or me!!!!
Old 19 January 2010, 03:15 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Pete trolling as usual
Old 19 January 2010, 03:45 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

What period does this cover and what were given as reasons for jump?

This must be before Christmas when prices for goods were pretty tight? No real changes in mortgage costs etc.

But I can see inflation catching a cold with VAT back to base and heating bills hitting the nation's doormats.

Difficult to see how HMG could massage the figures just before the election though.

Oh well I expect we will have Uncle Vince on Newsnight tonight giving a reasonable explanation.

dl
Old 19 January 2010, 04:02 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

Difficult to see how HMG could massage the figures just before the election though.

dl
The same way they do it every time. They have a Vertual shopping basket. If the contents of that basket rises in value, inflation rises. Value goes down, so does inflation.

At one point they had Mortgage payments in their shopping basket. As Mortgage payments rose above what they wanted. They simply took it out of the basket, and replased it with something that has only risen slightly, thus keeping inflation as to what they wanted to show.

Remember when TV's were in there? Then LCD & Plasma TV's came out, and prices rocketed. They were taken out. Then the price of Plasma's dropped. Guess what was added to the basket to keep the value down? Plasma TV's.

Inflation can be what ever the Government want it to be. If you included Petrol, Gas, Electricity (The thing that really effect us all) inflation would be off the charts.
Old 19 January 2010, 05:14 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't see any difference it will make if the interest rate rises as the banks aren't passing this onto the consumer and a mortgate has a higher interest rate now than what it was 5 years ago. Once the encomy starts to recover its bound to rise anyway.
Old 19 January 2010, 05:19 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Pete trolling as usual
Trolling is now defined as reporting a News item is it?
Old 19 January 2010, 05:58 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not panic comrades

Old 19 January 2010, 06:23 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

[QUOTE=SunnySideUp;9166961]
Interesting, high inflation will erode our National debt quicker and with less pain ..... but, there is a lot of money sloshing around in the system driving up prices!QUOTE]

errrr - no it won't.

1. No government has ever successfully managed to use inflation to get rid of national debt.

2. A lot of the national debt is in overseas currencies - inflation buggers the exchange rate, making the debt more expensive. Inflation also drives interest up, which makes the interest bill on the national debt much higher (most of the debt is not fixed rate gilts).

This is Brown's wonderful mis-management of our economy over the last decade coming home to roost - the classic Labour strategy of borrow to spend - except the borrowing is now running out.

Fingers crossed there isn't any more bad news left in the system - the coffers aren't full enough to cope. e.g. let's see what happens to the Euro-zone when they act to stop Greece defaulting....

Pete is right on one thing - we've all got a lot of (heavy tax) pain coming.

Gordo
Old 19 January 2010, 07:14 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Quarterly figures mus be out any second now !
Old 20 January 2010, 12:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Pete trolling as usual
Just out of interest, can you explain your remark fully please. I must have misunderstood the meaning of the term "trolling" completely! In fact I was tempted to suggest that you looked in the mirror!

Les
Old 20 January 2010, 04:26 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Just out of interest, can you explain your remark fully please. I must have misunderstood the meaning of the term "trolling" completely! In fact I was tempted to suggest that you looked in the mirror!

Les
I'm quite sre you have been on the site long enough to understand the term, resorting to personal insults on one's appearance (which are completely unfounded by the way) is frankly pathetic and quite sad.
Old 20 January 2010, 05:30 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

He is asking you to explain your comment that what I posted was trolling - I take it you cannot, as it is blatantly incorrect.

He suggests the mirror as you have made yourself look very silly indeed.
Old 20 January 2010, 05:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread is obviously a quality item ...

*Enormously* different to the other offering removed to 'dross'
Old 20 January 2010, 05:44 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete,

Seriously, do you have even the remotest understanding of economics? Does it actually interest you?

Or do you simpy see value in repeating news stories, many of which are of dubious accuracy (and hence little value) themselves?

Or do you just post these political/economic posts to get a rise out of people?

It's a serious question
Old 20 January 2010, 05:53 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Serious question deserves a serious answer ...

I love economics ..... investing and making money is a love of mine.

You suggest that the story I have reported here is of dubious accuracy, I suggest you take that up with the BBC as that was the source of it ..... please report back their answer as I'm sure you are genuinely interested in following up your comment.

Of course, you know that you see my name and immediately, without reason, jump on the accusations of 'trolling' and calling for a public lynching! Quite why you cannot simply ignore my posts will remain as one of the worlds great unanswered questions.

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 20 January 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 20 January 2010, 06:12 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

LOL

Pete,

If you read my post again you may realise that I didn't call into question the dubiety of this particular story - simply that many of the stories you do cut and paste are a bit ropey to say the least.

Nor have I called for a public lynching or jumped on the accusations of trolling on this thread.

I do actually ignore many of your posts as they are often completely full of sh1te , but its fun to call you out from time to time

However, I've lost count of the number of times you've bailed on a thread when someone has called you out and you appear unable to have an answer.

Whether that is because you simply don't have the mental capacity to do so, or cannot because you've been "rumbled" is, perhaps, an even greater question

I'd like to think its the latter, in which case perhaps you'd be up for a little mental jousting, rather than just bailing all the time?

Last edited by Devildog; 20 January 2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 20 January 2010, 06:21 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Many times I don't revisit threads, no point really - I have made my point, given my opinion, stated the facts .... job done. I don't feel the need to justify myself on an internet forum - that's not the same as 'bailing out' .... not sure if you have the mental capacity to understand what I've just said?

I'm glad you have moved on, and can ignore my posts
Old 20 January 2010, 06:34 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

LOL

Some, Pete, but not all

The jury is out on some of what you state. Using the word "facts" is stretching it sometimes

And come on, you can do better than simply regurgitating my "mental capacity" comment, can you not? That's very school playground, don't you think?

I'd accept your assertion of having "made your point and moved on"............. were it not for the numerous occasions when you've revisited your threads at length, but yet managed to duck any response to any posts rebutting your "facts"

You really must try harder if you are going to cast aspertions as to someone else's intelligence

Quick Reply: Inflation rate jumps to 2.9%