Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice with a case opened on ebay for a brand new *faulty* turbo

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2009, 04:32 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice with a case opened on ebay for a brand new *faulty* turbo

About a month ago I sold a brand new Toyota turbo unit on ebay that I never got round to fitting as I gave up on the MR2 as I had nothing but problems with it from start to finish.

Basically the purchaser of the turbo has said that the garage that fitted it has said it was producing lots of black smoke as oil was allowed to be passed through the unit. I personally don't believe the guy as 1) Its a brand new Toyota unit. 2) Turbo smoke wouldn't be black, it indicates either his engine is letting go or there's a fuelling issue.

I've had ebay refund an item before that I sent non recorded (the buyer decided not to pay the extra few £s to send it recorded) he then said he didn't receive it so he got a refund from my paypal account. From this I feel it seems ebay are on the buyers side no matter what.

I could do without being ripped off before XMAS so if anyones got any tips as to what I can do to try and get ebay to see my side of the story could you let me know.

Many thanks
Old 20 November 2009, 04:38 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe ask him to return the turbo for you to inspect. That is a starting point. I have used ebay for around 5 years now and never really had a problem but as I understand, ebay will always side with the buyer, which is wrong. Have you contacted ebay and asked for their advise? What was the buyers feedback like?
Old 20 November 2009, 04:44 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

I got screwed a while ago, sold a plasma tuner box and the buyer said it was faulty. So i said send it back and will refund you but the cheeky git had swopped the board over inside as the serial numbers didnt match. So i declined a refund and he ended up winning the paypal case.
Old 20 November 2009, 05:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I must admit -- I just do not understand Ebay/Paypal

I would never accept paypal as payment -- although I do pay with it (not that I buy or sell much TBH)

but no one in their right mind would refund a part that has been supplied and then fitted by a third party -- thats just daft

also I assume you are a private seller -- if you sold it by putting an advert for it on notice board of the local newsagent -- would you still be expected to give a refund

how did you word the ad?

tell him to fvck off
Old 20 November 2009, 05:40 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's actually got 100% feedback with a couple of hundred ratings. But that still doesn't stop me thinking 1) Hes got problems elsewhere other than the turbo 2) the engine has let go and get rid of the car and hes decided to try and recoup what he can on his car by claiming the turbo is faulty. BLAH BLAH BLAH lots of different cases.

Hes given me the number of the garage that had fitted it for him, but I've decided not to ring as everything has already been said in my eyes. How am I not to know that the mechanic is his best friend and hes going to back up whatever his friend wants him to say.

I'm basically after what my legal rights are here to be honest as I've sold a brand new unit from Toyota and after all should be fairly reliable being from Toyota.
Old 20 November 2009, 06:21 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

I would ask in technical, i know it isn't strictly a Scoob, but, if it is black smoke it is not likely to be the turbo - IMHO
Old 20 November 2009, 06:32 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

First rule IMHO is never have money in your paypal because of the above example, they can only refund the buyer if there is money in your account. When i sell using Paypal i always withdraw to my account before posting item and tell the buyer this. I would suggest you get him to send it back and have it looked at, if there is nothing wrong with it refund him cost of turbo less your postage. I take it you've explained the above points to him.

Good luck mate

Aaron
Old 20 November 2009, 07:19 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got ****ed over on here, bought a turbo timer and the idiot sent it to the wrong address.. but because he sent it recorded Pay/Ebay wouldn't give me my money back ..
Old 20 November 2009, 09:38 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Black smoke is a fuel / air related issue. Doesnt sound like the turbo is faulty. Get it checked.
Old 21 November 2009, 09:51 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I suspect you might not need to worry. AFAIK, paypal can't make comment on the condition of an item sold on ebay.

I sold an RC car a few years ago and we had a conversation on the phone where I pointed out the car had been used for 2 full seasons so wasn't brand new. When he got the car he accused me of selling him a knackered car. I said not a hope because I had been regularly putting the car into B finals so it couldn't be that buggered.

He escalated the dispute to a claim and paypal instantly declined saying they can't pass judgement on condition.

You got a choice really. Make him send it back and you refund him the cost and 1 postage cost. Or tell him to stick it and see what paypal say.
Old 21 November 2009, 10:09 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If there was an oil leak in the turbo oils seals one would see clouds of blue smoke.

Black smoke denotes a very rich fuel mixture and that is down to the engine management, not the turbo.

Les
Old 21 November 2009, 10:25 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Always send recorded delivery no matter what!
Old 21 November 2009, 02:44 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

surely all the above is missing the point

if you want a warranty buy from a shop/dealer/garage -- and pay the relevant price

if you want a deal -- and accept the risk buy from ebay

why should the guy buy from ebay – and accept no risk (you in fact, as the seller, keep the risk) crazy imo

the technical term is “opportunity cost”

tell him to fvck off -- or if he is a mate and you guaranteed it would work replace it

simple

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 21 November 2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 22 November 2009, 12:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
surely all the above is missing the point

if you want a warranty buy from a shop/dealer/garage -- and pay the relevant price

if you want a deal -- and accept the risk buy from ebay

why should the guy buy from ebay – and accept no risk (you in fact, as the seller, keep the risk) crazy imo

the technical term is “opportunity cost”

tell him to fvck off -- or if he is a mate and you guaranteed it would work replace it

simple
Surely the real point is whether the turbo is actually unserviceable or not!

Les