Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Annoying Thing About Text Messages

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2009, 10:50 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Annoying Thing About Text Messages

I've just realised recently that 99% of the texts I get from people ask one of two questions: either how I am or what I'm doing. A lot of people want to have a full conversation by text now... usually on the same two subjects stated above. Why do people want to have these boring, pointless conversations that never seem to end, but which go in a never-ending dreary cycle?

Typical example...

Person 1: "Hi, how you doing? What you up to?"

Person 2: "Hi, good thanks. What about you? Not much. What about you?"

Person 1 again: "Yeah I'm fine thanks. I've just been - insert random drivel here - today."

Where do you go from there?

I'd much rather send an email if I'm sending a message to someone. That way you can at least talk about something interesting! Or better still... actually talk to them on the phone.

p.s this thread may not apply to the 'vintage' members of Scoobynet.
Old 02 November 2009, 11:00 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the annoying thing about texts is when ur partner sneakily reads them.
Old 02 November 2009, 11:10 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
No, the annoying thing about texts is when ur partner sneakily reads them.
Old 03 November 2009, 10:06 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Easy answer mate.

Simply just explain in one text message that you are a miserable **** who cannot be bothered and that they should just not bother you.

It will do one of two things - 1. stop them waisting their text's on you and 2. stop you taking time out of you life replying to boring pointless drivel via text message.

Everyone's a winner.
Old 03 November 2009, 10:27 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I suffer this, but its usually because I don't bother to answer my phone. Hence I ignore the texts too

Two issues here:

1. I have this issue where people who work 9-5 (or 10 to 4 for some lazy gets), think its ok to ring at 5 or 6 pm for a innane chit chat.

2. I don't do innane chit chat on the phone, I use the phone if I want something, or NEED to talk to someone. Thus far I have refused to allow the telephone to replace face to face communication for non-important needs.

Yes, this is usually women, but men are getting like that too (closet gheys? ). And it also applies to texts.

So my attitude is "I'm at w*rk, I'd like to get back home sometime before 8pm, so kindly do one". Some get the hint, some don't. I quite like things like that, I don't use my personal phone much, and therefore as a bonus I have a cheap call package. Reserving the chit chat and talking b*ll*cks for when we meet face to face.

I drive my collegues nuts as I just let the phone ring and ring and ring (voicemail is off ). Some people just seem unable to leave a phone alone, it rings, they HAVE to answer it - taking presidence over anything that they maybe doing at the time - even if its in a important face to face meeting. There have been times when this has happened, and I've been left standing mid-sentence like a feejit waiting for silly sod on the phone to finish discussing their life story and what they've read in Heat magazine. At times I've been tempted to grab the phone and stamp on the thing.

Needless to say, my telephone manner is, slightly abrupt. And I'm fully aware of the hypocrisy that I regularly talk b*ll*cks on internet forums (the excuse is its done on my terms and nobody is obliged read it)

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 November 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03 November 2009, 10:34 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

You lot should be happy that someone actually gives a **** that they take time out to text you, no matter how unimportant it may seem to you. How miserable.

Just don't reply, I am sure they will get the message. This is exactly why I don't bother to text people anymore. Nobody gives a rats *** about anyone else these days.
Old 03 November 2009, 10:44 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I suffer this, but its usually because I don't bother to answer my phone. Hence I ignore the texts too

Two issues here:

1. I have this issue where people who work 9-5 (or 10 to 4 for some lazy gets), think its ok to ring at 5 or 6 pm for a innane chit chat.

2. I don't do innane chit chat on the phone, I use the phone if I want something, or NEED to talk to someone. Thus far I have refused to allow the telephone to replace face to face communication for non-important needs.

Yes, this is usually women, but men are getting like that too (closet gheys? ). And it also applies to texts.

So my attitude is "I'm at w*rk, I'd like to get back home sometime before 8pm, so kindly do one". Some get the hint, some don't. I quite like things like that, I don't use my personal phone much, and therefore as a bonus I have a cheap call package. Reserving the chit chat and talking b*ll*cks for when we meet face to face.

I drive my collegues nuts as I just let the phone ring and ring and ring (voicemail is off ). Some people just seem unable to leave a phone alone, it rings, they HAVE to answer it - taking presidence over anything that they maybe doing at the time - even if its in a important face to face meeting. There have been times when this has happened, and I've been left standing mid-sentence like a feejit waiting for silly sod on the phone to finish discussing their life story and what they've read in Heat magazine. At times I've been tempted to grab the phone and stamp on the thing.

Needless to say, my telephone manner is, slightly abrupt. And I'm fully aware of the hypocrisy that I regularly talk b*ll*cks on internet forums (the excuse is its done on my terms and nobody is obliged read it)
Exactly my feelings.

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
You lot should be happy that someone actually gives a **** that they take time out to text you, no matter how unimportant it may seem to you. How miserable.

Just don't reply, I am sure they will get the message. This is exactly why I don't bother to text people anymore. Nobody gives a rats *** about anyone else these days.
The thing is, most of the time they are just bored and want some attention... they're not really wanting to know how you're doing. I'd say that's possibly the reason you send texts like that.
Old 03 November 2009, 10:45 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Two issues here:

Miserable Tw*t.
Old 03 November 2009, 10:50 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

This is exactly why I don't bother to text people anymore. Nobody gives a rats *** about anyone else these days.
Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Exactly my feelings.

The thing is, most of the time they are just bored and want some attention... they're not really wanting to know how you're doing. I'd say that's possibly the reason you send texts like that.
Just to repeat myself, I do not text many people. As I know most of them do not care. Most of the texts I send are to my brother, who lives in Australia. So I know for a fact those texts are quite gratefully received.
Old 03 November 2009, 10:57 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Just to repeat myself, I do not text many people. As I know most of them do not care. Most of the texts I send are to my brother, who lives in Australia. So I know for a fact those texts are quite gratefully received.
Good stuff. At least you quickly learned that people don't want to give you attention or tell you what they're doing 24/7.
Old 03 November 2009, 11:07 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I bet i'm the only one here who doesn't abbreviate a single thing on my texts

Predictive text - only useful if you can spell in the first place
Old 03 November 2009, 11:10 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Old 03 November 2009, 11:12 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Your probably write their.
Old 03 November 2009, 11:13 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Wink

Good stuff. At least you quickly learned that people don't want to give you attention or tell you what they're doing 24/7.
I get enough attention from the kids and partner without feeling the need for my existence to be justified by random people via text message. It is still nice to have someone give me a thought from time to time though. And when that happens, I text back.
Old 03 November 2009, 11:15 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

He's probably *right*
Old 03 November 2009, 11:16 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

I know a girl who texts like this. I receive infinite texts along the 'hi what you up to' lines. Tis boring as ****

And for the record, no she's not doing it with intent of opening her legs. That makes me a sad panda
Old 03 November 2009, 11:17 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

In my opinion, its a load of ducking shiv
Old 03 November 2009, 11:19 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Lol, I am usually getting pulled up about typos all the time. I have no excuses, I am not lazy, and I do proof read.

I just cannot spell!
Old 03 November 2009, 11:20 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I think you missed a off the end their

Steve
Old 03 November 2009, 11:22 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve vRS
I think you missed a off the end their

Steve
Definately.
Old 03 November 2009, 11:23 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Just checked my inbox and thought I would share this text message as it seems appropriate.

''How are you and yours?''

How nice of that 'friend' to care so much. I eat my words.

It was probably a text sent to several people, in which case they probably didn't give a toss about me.
Old 03 November 2009, 11:28 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

p.s this thread may not apply to the 'vintage' members of Scoobynet.

Cheeky sod

But you're right I don't really send texts and my life hasn't ended

But I have recently started using Skype to send texts as I have a full size keyboard to use and can spell check before it goes. It may also be cheaper. dl (mature member)
Old 03 November 2009, 11:37 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

What still seems to be developing though, is the almost absolute addiction to mobile phones, especially amongst young people. The number i see who are grasping their phones, constantly checking for new texts even though they have them on vibrate alert is astonishing. I feel a bit "naked" if i forget my phone but i swear some people would need counselling to get through the day if they did the same thing.
Old 03 November 2009, 11:42 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I dont even bother looking at texts when they come in

1) If people/somebody wants to talk to me they can phone and save me a whole lot of time f,ing about typing out a reply message

2) I cant be bothered trying to decipher some kind of cryptic code of the words people use in TXT SPK, If they cant be bothered trying to spell it I cant be bothered trying to read it

3) I f,ing hate mobile phones full stop!
Old 03 November 2009, 11:44 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What still seems to be developing though, is the almost absolute addiction to mobile phones, especially amongst young people. The number i see who are grasping their phones, constantly checking for new texts even though they have them on vibrate alert is astonishing. I feel a bit "naked" if i forget my phone but i swear some people would need counselling to get through the day if they did the same thing.
yep they are like that wee ****er from Lord of the Rings and his precious one! I'm working for a mobile phone company at the mo who have set up a service that you even find the location of your friends via their phones. Its all a touch ghey in my opinion which is why my phone doesn't even have internet access!
Old 03 November 2009, 11:46 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Yea, My sisters like this too, even during bloody meals she will have a fork in one hand and her phone in the other, really does my bloody head in, Surely its not too much to ask just to leave them alone when eating? Another one is in the pub having a conversation with somebody and they pull out their phone and start playing with them mid conversation, makes me want to rip it out of their hands and beat them over the head with it!
Old 03 November 2009, 12:25 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

It's better than that with some kids. My sis, even though she is far from a kid, has two phones. One because she needs her boyfriend to be able to contact her, and the other because it is cheaper to text.
She also said something about one phone not having a signal because my parents live in an area where there seems to be no signal coverage for most if not all networks, oh, apart from 3 I gather.

She walks about with them as if her life depended upon it.

All a bit sad really. The only reason I take my phone out with me is in case the scoob brakes down!
Old 03 November 2009, 12:27 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

What, like if the breaks failed for instance?
Old 03 November 2009, 12:55 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Nah, it's just for safety. I am sure any sensible person driving about in a classic would do the same.
Not that I have cause for concern, the only thing playing up is the choke, the revs are sticking a bit, so I need to take a peep at that. Don't want to be wasting valuable fuel now do I?!

Quick Reply: Annoying Thing About Text Messages