Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Max Payne/ The Spirit

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2009, 10:10 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max Payne/ The Spirit

These are two films I've hired in the last couple of weeks that were so bad I switched them off after about 40 minutes because I couldn't justify wasting my time watching such rubbish.

Haven't seen a good film for ages...
Old 14 May 2009, 10:27 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the two latest most memoriable wastes of DVD i have had to turn off have been, Dune & PS I Love You.

Dune, i loved the book but the film is just goddamn awful.

PS I Love You, Girlfriend read the book and really wanted me to watch this film with her, within 5minutes this guy with the worst Irish accent came on the TV, i actually just left the room as it annoyed me so much.
Old 14 May 2009, 11:07 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Max Payne ,for me ,was just WTF is going on and lets face it how many games have made good movies?
Another movie to avoid is The Mutant Chronicles (loosely based on a rpg) with Tom Jane and Ron Perlman filmed in the style of Sky Captain but with a plot so fecking cliched it hurt.
Old 14 May 2009, 11:47 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Silent Hill wasn't a bad film. And I know its mindless but I liked Doom.

Dune is one of my favorite films of all time. I've watched it more times than any other film in my collection and I have almost every book.

I will watch just about anything. Only film I wanted to turn off was Fast and Furious 2 but as the misses bought it for me I had to watch it all. Space Truckers is awful and Tank Girl was equally dire. If you work on the basis I've at least watched both these films once there isn't much I won't watch.

The Mist is low budget but has quite good characterisation. The Happening was pleasingly spooky considering there wasn't actually anything visually scary.

Last edited by EddScott; 14 May 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 14 May 2009, 12:00 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

The films I've seen that are based on computer/video games have been crap. To name the two I've watched, Hitman and resident evil I will not watch another film based on a game.
Old 14 May 2009, 12:02 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Dune is one of my favorite films of all time. I've watched it more times than any other film in my collection and I have almost every book.
Did you not find the movie a bit er....homoerotic? The book is fantastic though

Space Truckers is fooking brilliant

Last edited by Jamz3k; 14 May 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 14 May 2009, 12:11 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Most remakes i hate aswell
The Day the Earth Stood Stil was the latest and sucked imo.
The American remake of REC sucked,most of the remakes of Jap horror movies are quite poor.
They are remaking Forbidden Planet 9although technically a remake of sorts anyway.
Clash of the Titans is getting a remake as well i just wish Hollywood would try some more orginal stuff instead of going here's a 20 year old movie lets redo the special effects

Trending Topics

Old 14 May 2009, 12:23 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Max Payne I thought was a good film, almost Sin City in style. It had some scenes straight out of the game. I liked the fact they didn't try to re-create bullet time exactly and instead went for a slow mo effect. It fills a gap before the action of the game takes part almost overlapping and explaining the game in a way so for me this is a good thing - not trying to be the game in real life but to compliment it instead.

Hitman was poor, but there wasn't much story to the game anyway, and Far Cry was no where like the game, nothing, only the title font was similar. They didn't even need to take the game name, for there is no way anyone would have called copyright on the similarities. Also looks like they had a reasonable budget too, they just made a crap unrelated film.

Last edited by Miniman; 14 May 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 14 May 2009, 12:37 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Taken was one of the best films i've seen lately.
Old 14 May 2009, 12:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Max Payne- only worth it for Olga nicebum, but she get's offed early on in the film, so turn it off after she buys the farm

Hitman. Waste of a great game series, but not too bad if you check your brain in at the door. It just should have been a lot better and they should have used the bloke who provided the likeness and voice for the game! Olga Nicebum is in this one too, and she shows her bewbies as well as bum. It is therefore 2 ***** better than Max Payne.

Ns04

P.S. The above post contains spoilers! Probably should have mentioned that at the outset....it's almost as annoying as someone telling you that Bruce Willis is the ghost all along in the Sixth Sense.....D'oh: done it again!
Old 14 May 2009, 12:53 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Most remakes i hate aswell
The Day the Earth Stood Stil was the latest and sucked imo.
The American remake of REC sucked,most of the remakes of Jap horror movies are quite poor.
They are remaking Forbidden Planet 9although technically a remake of sorts anyway.
Clash of the Titans is getting a remake as well i just wish Hollywood would try some more orginal stuff instead of going here's a 20 year old movie lets redo the special effects
Evil Dead and A Nightmair on Elm Street are the next ones to be remade, I hope they don't **** them up. I won't hold my breath.
Old 14 May 2009, 12:55 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I didn't know there was a Far Cry film - did it have any relation to the game other than name?

Resident Evil I'll watch but I have the horn for whatserface. I actually like Hitman too.

Jamz3K - didn't notice the gayness of the Dune film. The Baron likes small boys but thats mostly down to his abhorrent behaviour anyway.

I'd like to see The Day the Earth Stood Still.

I believe the script is being written for a "The Thing" prequel - from the Norwegian camp apparently. Hoping they don't spoil it.

I was very upset with what "Mr Awesome" did with Transformers. No doubt he will have learnt nothing for TF2 but at least we get combiners this time (Devastator)

Last edited by EddScott; 14 May 2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 14 May 2009, 01:08 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I think Far Cry was straight to DVD, enough said really
Old 14 May 2009, 01:21 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Evil Dead will be done by Sam Raimi though but no Bruce Campbell all according to internet rumours though and we all know how accurate they can be
Old 14 May 2009, 01:23 PM
New_scooby_04

No, you wouldn't! It'll just make you angry!

Trust me on that!
Old 14 May 2009, 01:28 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

I believe the script is being written for a "The Thing" prequel - from the Norwegian camp apparently. Hoping they don't spoil it.
The new Day movie is very different to the original (special effects wise obviously but i do prefer the original effects as they seemed more real) and the pooint of the movie is ecological rather than nuclear weapons but Reeves as a sophisticated alien is just sooo wrong imo.

with the Thing though can they recreate it without the awesome,imo, physical effects ,loved the chest pumping scene in the original
Old 14 May 2009, 01:48 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Evil Dead will be done by Sam Raimi though but no Bruce Campbell all according to internet rumours though and we all know how accurate they can be
I think Sam Raimi is only producing it now, last time I looked on IMDB it said they were looking for a new director, not a good sign.
Old 14 May 2009, 02:04 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

with the Thing though can they recreate it without the awesome,imo, physical effects ,loved the chest pumping scene in the original
I actually don't see the point in remaking "The Thing" because for me the special effects didn't make or break it. There is nothing they could do to make this film better but there is a hell of alot they could do to ruin it.

Its a bit like "The Fly" fantastic film and even with today SFX's it couldn't be bettered.
Old 14 May 2009, 02:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Dune, i loved the book but the film is just goddamn awful.
I'm guessing you are referring to the David Lynch film? If so then you may want to grab "Frank Herbert's Dune" which is a Sci-Fi Channel mini-series based on the novel. There is also a follow-up series "Frank Herbert's Children of Dune" which combines Dune Messiah and Children Of Dune.
Old 14 May 2009, 02:15 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I actually don't see the point in remaking "The Thing" because for me the special effects didn't make or break it. There is nothing they could do to make this film better but there is a hell of alot they could do to ruin it.

Its a bit like "The Fly" fantastic film and even with today SFX's it couldn't be bettered.
Tbh i don't see the point in remaking most movies.
Although technically John Carpenter remade the Thing (originally called The Thing from Another World).
i'm a big fan of 1950s movies mainly the sci fi and it does disappoint me when all they do is CGI everything and go there's your movie.
Old 14 May 2009, 06:33 PM
MarkGray
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bish667
Taken was one of the best films i've seen lately.

I agree, thought it was a very good movie.
Old 16 May 2009, 10:15 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MarkGray
I agree, thought it was a very good movie.
x2 - very good. Got it for my birthday on blu-ray and had never heard of it but loved it. Kinda Leon meets Ronin

Simon
Old 16 May 2009, 01:45 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
x2 - very good. Got it for my birthday on blu-ray and had never heard of it but loved it. Kinda Leon meets Ronin

Simon
Yup. Liam Neeson's character is hard as nails