credit crunch shopping

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2009, 07:49 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default credit crunch shopping

ALDI'S

after everyone banging on about aldi's, i decided to give it a try, took the scoob. as i was approaching the entrance i kinda had the feeling the guys in the car behind that were smirking at me and predicting the chav scoob would turn into aldi's, all i needed was a burberry cap and a staffy in the back? found a parking space away from other cars, fitted the disclock, double checked the disclock, checked around, got out locked the car, walked away, walked back, windows all closed, car locked, armed, disclock fitted, worriedly walked away. Well, the place is not as cheap as everyone makes out, some stuff are cheap like meat and veg, but lots are more expensive than our corner shop, although the best buy of all has to be village bakery bread 39p a loaf, went to the checkout, suspiciously watched by the security guard, queued up behind a guy with tattos on his neck an Mr T - esque jewellery, accompanied with his missus with teeth like shane mcgowan, got served by the most ignorant person i have ever met, practically shoved the goods at lightning speed off the conveyor into the trolley, barked out £26, card in, receipt handed, no please no thankyou, no eyecontact, no smile.......I nervously walked out and the scoob was still there! although an ancient fiesta was parked right next to it, looked around, no lurkers, checked doors, no dings, lobbed the stuff into the boot, no carriers here, left the trolley and my pound and escaped................in summary, not worth the worry going to aldi's, well not our one anyway, i'll stick to the big guys for my main shopping and get my bread and milk from my corner shop.

more credit crunch reviews soon.
Old 20 March 2009, 07:55 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Not worth the worry, get a grip!
You sound like the paranoid type to me.

Originally Posted by gallois
ALDI'S

after everyone banging on about aldi's, i decided to give it a try, took the scoob. as i was approaching the entrance i kinda had the feeling the guys in the car behind that were smirking at me and predicting the chav scoob would turn into aldi's, all i needed was a burberry cap and a staffy in the back? found a parking space away from other cars, fitted the disclock, double checked the disclock, checked around, got out locked the car, walked away, walked back, windows all closed, car locked, armed, disclock fitted, worriedly walked away. Well, the place is not as cheap as everyone makes out, some stuff are cheap like meat and veg, but lots are more expensive than our corner shop, although the best buy of all has to be village bakery bread 39p a loaf, went to the checkout, suspiciously watched by the security guard, queued up behind a guy with tattos on his neck an Mr T - esque jewellery, accompanied with his missus with teeth like shane mcgowan, got served by the most ignorant person i have ever met, practically shoved the goods at lightning speed off the conveyor into the trolley, barked out £26, card in, receipt handed, no please no thankyou, no eyecontact, no smile.......I nervously walked out and the scoob was still there! although an ancient fiesta was parked right next to it, looked around, no lurkers, checked doors, no dings, lobbed the stuff into the boot, no carriers here, left the trolley and my pound and escaped................in summary, not worth the worry going to aldi's, well not our one anyway, i'll stick to the big guys for my main shopping and get my bread and milk from my corner shop.

more credit crunch reviews soon.
Old 20 March 2009, 07:57 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aldis is good for work lunch. And they do cheap fresh oj not from concentrate

agree with the staff tho. but i guess thats what you get then u pay mimimum wage.

also loving the Roar Bars.
Old 20 March 2009, 08:00 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cmasterScoob
aldis is good for work lunch. And they do cheap fresh oj not from concentrate

agree with the staff tho. but i guess thats what you get then u pay mimimum wage.

also loving the Roar Bars.

I'm pretty sure Aldi pays a good wage ??? When it 1st opened they paid the people who worked on the tills £7.50 ph

To OP why is Aldi beneath you because you drive an impreza???

Last edited by stevebt; 20 March 2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 20 March 2009, 08:02 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Not worth the worry, get a grip!
You sound like the paranoid type to me.
it was just a lighthearted post, sorry if i annoyed you, i have been carjacked before and had a knife in my face when getting in my car.
Old 20 March 2009, 08:07 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

£7.50.. no way. really?
Old 20 March 2009, 08:10 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

aldis and lidls fruit and veg is a million times better than the crap that our local tescos sell.interestingly there always seems to be quite a few new/expensive cars parked in the car park.
i think the good pay is down to the fact that the checkout staff have to memorise all the prices,thats how it used to be but not sure now.

Last edited by gtijames; 20 March 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 20 March 2009, 09:31 PM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
it was just a lighthearted post, sorry if i annoyed you, i have been carjacked before and had a knife in my face when getting in my car.
Thats what you get shopping in Aldi, Pal.
Old 20 March 2009, 11:33 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I often see a Scoob at the one local to where I work, better not give out his reg tho'.

LOL

dunx
Old 20 March 2009, 11:47 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

we have been once when we couldnt be bothered to drive to beverley as we do our shopping there.
i was gobsmacked about they rush the food through the checkout and you dont get a chance to pack it
wierd experience it was cheaper but by about £10
Old 21 March 2009, 09:32 AM
85rob
Scooby Regular

i was once told by one of their employees that they pay their own tax and ni hence why theyre on so much money.
Old 21 March 2009, 12:15 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtijames
aldis and lidls fruit and veg is a million times better than the crap that our local tescos sell.interestingly there always seems to be quite a few new/expensive cars parked in the car park.
i think the good pay is down to the fact that the checkout staff have to memorise all the prices,thats how it used to be but not sure now.
Not anymore, they scan shopping just like anywhere else now (at least my local one, just up the road).

I do believe they are still on good wages, much more than me, but there doesn't seem to be alot of staff, so they may have to do alot more than 'just' a till shift to get that.

Tbh, at least at my local, it seems to have a wide range of customers, not particularly rough.
Old 21 March 2009, 12:48 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Alot of the Aldi and Lidl's own brand of food is made by other companys anyway. Such as Lidl's Pies are made by Peters
Old 21 March 2009, 01:24 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cmasterScoob
£7.50.. no way. really?
I heard they had to know the price of every item in the store for that!
Old 21 March 2009, 08:53 PM
Mr-Confused
Scooby Regular

***** to credit crunch shopping... Waitrose all the way...
Old 21 March 2009, 09:08 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

I heard they had to know the price of every item in the store for that!

i thought this as well but lisawrx says its not like that anymore,ive not been for while so mabe the have changed.

Last edited by gtijames; 21 March 2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 21 March 2009, 09:10 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Not ashamed of using Aldi here. Booze, milk etc defo cheaper. It's all money at the end of the day. Tenner a week is £520 a year, worth "slumming it" in our humble opinon.

Seen an Aston Martin at the Peterborough branch, and a couple of Mercs, along with shed loads of newish cars (prob from the local council estates as they are the only people who can afford new cars apparently LOL)

In fact our Scoobies are probably the oldest and scabbiest motors to frequent that particular car park
Old 21 March 2009, 09:17 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

i just go asda, not that i hate aldi i just know where everything is but there are rough looking chavs in asda too
Old 21 March 2009, 09:23 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Is a supermarket now judged upon the cars in its carpark?
Old 21 March 2009, 09:31 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

just as long as it aint full of alfa's
Old 21 March 2009, 09:36 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Is a supermarket now judged upon the cars in its carpark?
Looks like it for some. Don't care myself, as long as the we get value for money and are not paying ovedr the odds for named brands.

Used to work at a dairy and screamed with laughter when some old dears on local TV were convinced that Waitrose milk tasted better than Morrisons etc......
Old 21 March 2009, 09:37 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure they are on over £10/hour at aldi's now. All self employed though, so as mentioned, tax & NI to sort out, also NO holiday pay or sick pay. No guaranteed hours either I don't think, so if no work , you don't get paid.........
Old 23 March 2009, 07:17 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

They start on £8 hr rising to £9 for a store assistant.

Aldi Store Careers | Store Opportunities | Store Assistant

Chip
Old 23 March 2009, 11:58 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

33k for store manager wouldnt be a bad fall back if the gooner bird ever flew over.

Some peoples lack of knowledge on self employment is laughable, or is it deliberate ignorance to disguise the envy that with a careful accountant and restraint (just enough not to take the **** and get flagged by the revenue ) you can pay considerably less tax and a meagre contribution to N.I.
Old 24 March 2009, 05:26 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like the op may have smoked too much weed before doing his shopping, his post reads like he thought he had entered the Afgan badlands.

You are not a Hairdresser/stylist per chance?
Old 24 March 2009, 05:49 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Its called "ALDI" not "Aldi's"! Unless you are visiting multiple stores at the same time you are not going to Aldi's

How hard is it to read a sign with four letters? No wonder you lot shop there
Old 24 March 2009, 06:14 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

A few times we thought the save money we'll get a few things from the local Aldi or Lidl places and then get some of the other things in the local Tesco - theres a Morrisons but it smells of old stale pee/old people.

We ended up spending more than if we had just shopped at Tesco. My wife can be a bit indiscriminate with what she puts in the basket.