Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Minibus speed limits

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2009, 12:24 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minibus speed limits

Whilst driving a minibus at the weekend, I drove past a revenue generating van a couple of times. Nice to see the locals warning each other too (A9 road from Inverness to Aviemore).

Luckily, I remembered a thread on SN from a while ago about the lower limts and slowed down accordingly, just in case.

Having subsequently checked the highway code, minibuses do have a 10mph lower limit than cars, except on motorways.

I'm well aware of the rules for HGV's, but didn't realise even minibuses had a lower limit. Seems ridiculous to me, considering the LDV Maxus I was driving was better than many cars I've driven, in terms of handling and braking.

Also unimpressed that minibuses seem to be fitted with limiters that stop them going over 65mph, even though they can legally drive at 70mph on motorways.

To help customers, I would have thought that hire companies would warn people when hiring them out.
Old 10 March 2009, 01:18 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Jerome
Whilst driving a minibus at the weekend, I drove past a revenue generating van a couple of times. Nice to see the locals warning each other too (A9 road from Inverness to Aviemore).

Luckily, I remembered a thread on SN from a while ago about the lower limts and slowed down accordingly, just in case.

Having subsequently checked the highway code, minibuses do have a 10mph lower limit than cars, except on motorways.

I'm well aware of the rules for HGV's, but didn't realise even minibuses had a lower limit. Seems ridiculous to me, considering the LDV Maxus I was driving was better than many cars I've driven, in terms of handling and braking.

Also unimpressed that minibuses seem to be fitted with limiters that stop them going over 65mph, even though they can legally drive at 70mph on motorways.

To help customers, I would have thought that hire companies would warn people when hiring them out.
Not a chance, i hired a car to go to plymouth last weekend, and the woman who worked for the hirers said if i get any points or fines while im in charge of the vehicle, there would be a 50 pound admin fee for each different conviction, up to a maximum of five.

Considering i hired a vauxhall insignia for 57 all in (brand new) and put nearly 700 miles on it ( needs an oil change now?), it must have lost 2000 in that weekend alone, so they have to make money back somehow, plus they had a 50 valet fee if the car was brought back dirty, and if the car didnt come back with the same amount of petrol in it as when it left they wanted 1.18 per litre to fill up, ripping off *****! (95 ron is 90 at the moment)!

Its all about money!
Old 10 March 2009, 02:55 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Interesting that - I tow a trailer sometimes and was aware of the 60 limit on the motorway, but not the 50 limit in a 60 area. What about 40 zones, I wonder? Seems fair enough on one level (seeing the pathetic small-wheeled trailers some people tow and the relatively inexperienced behind the wheel of mini-buses heavily laden), but not entirely logical.

Gordo