Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

kids selling belongings to bury their mum?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2008, 10:27 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face kids selling belongings to bury their mum?

did anyone see/hear anything about this on the news this evening? apparantly they were slling all their belongings to pay for their mum to be buried as the co-op? wouldnt let them pay later, they had to pay up front!!

anyhow id like to donate some cash to them as what they have been through is terrible, does anyone have a link to their auctions on ebay or an email address? im sure it was announced but i didnt hear it earlier.

cheers

James
Old 13 November 2008, 10:27 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not seen this on the local news chap
Old 13 November 2008, 10:33 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
did anyone see/hear anything about this on the news this evening? apparantly they were slling all their belongings to pay for their mum to be buried as the co-op? wouldnt let them pay later, they had to pay up front!!

anyhow id like to donate some cash to them as what they have been through is terrible, does anyone have a link to their auctions on ebay or an email address? im sure it was announced but i didnt hear it earlier.

cheers

James
i heard they had sold their pets. i was a bit surprised that they had had to do that and no one was helping them
Old 13 November 2008, 10:36 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

that was the one they had sold their 3 pet spaniels? made me feel pretty bad as they were all just kids
Old 13 November 2008, 10:40 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant believe no one has stepped in, there must be more to the story than has been reported
Old 13 November 2008, 10:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
i heard they had sold their pets. i was a bit surprised that they had had to do that and no one was helping them
This is the problem, we are now in a time where people expect the state to sort everything out and charity and human kindness seem to have diminished in the process. It's about time the state took it's snout out of the trough and stopped robbing the general public to keep the scroungers in their 20 B&H a day a let people choose how to spend their own money like helping out this family.

Last edited by OllyK; 13 November 2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 13 November 2008, 10:46 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Orphaned kids sell up to pay for mum's funeral | The Sun |News

not sure what to search for on ebay, any ideas?

Trending Topics

Old 13 November 2008, 10:53 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

I managed to find an address in case anyone else is wanting to help. it can be found on the following link

Orphans selling everything they have to bury mum | Metro.co.uk

James
Old 13 November 2008, 11:08 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

you should be ashamed of yourself!
Old 13 November 2008, 11:11 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
you should be ashamed of yourself!
Me? - not in the slightest. This is nothing more than a heart string story. If you can't see through it you should be ashamed of the years you spent in what I would loosely call education
Old 13 November 2008, 11:20 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

their parents are both dead, FACT. their mother is in a fridge and not buried because they cannot pay for the funeral, FACT. they are selling their belongings to pay for the funeral, FACT!!!

a heart string story is likely to be what most papers aim for, but the fact of the matter is this, they have no money to pay for their mothers funeral and are willing to sell their belongings to pay for it, they should be congratulated and helped for their bravery not kicked whilst down!
Old 13 November 2008, 11:44 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ever the salesman
Old 13 November 2008, 11:57 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

That's a bit harsh, FB!

Surely their local council would provide a semi-decent funeral...it isn't about how much the service cost, or what sort of wood the coffin was made out of, it's about your loved ones being able to say their final goodbyes, and for the person who has died to be laid to rest. I understand how these youngsters must feel, but I'm sure their mother would not have wanted them to sell their posessions!

Whoever 'purchased' the 3 dogs should be ashamed of themselves
Old 14 November 2008, 12:09 AM
Rapid Chap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
That's a bit harsh, FB!

I'm sure their mother would not have wanted them to sell their posessions!

(
She obviously didn't give a **** to not bother sorting it out when she was still alive?
Old 14 November 2008, 12:18 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Rapid Chap
She obviously didn't give a **** to not bother sorting it out when she was still alive?
The bit harsh was in reference to the compost bin comment...

& i was trying to say (and obviously didnt do very well again lol) that at the end of the day the need for 'flowers and a nice send off' really shouldnt require them to sell their belongings. I'm sure the mother would be heartbroken to see her children dismantle their home...local councils provide a burial after 14 days if things have not been put in place.

I'm not going to try and comment on why or why not she didnt have things in place for such an event ..I'm sure she didnt even begin to think that she would die in her sleep at the age of 52...
Old 14 November 2008, 12:38 AM
Rapid Chap
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Don't you think there is a point here? Some halfwit has negged me for that -

Dear halfwit - Please try to think in joined up thinking for 1 minute of your sad life
If you don't get it by now, go back to doing basic stuff like peeing in the toilet and playing with the sand. I'm sure your teacher will be impressed

Couldn't cope with those advanced concepts then, so you thought an infraction would do the job?
Old 14 November 2008, 12:47 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Blatant abuse of the infraction system IMHO!!
Old 14 November 2008, 03:55 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

The local council will sort it out if the family cannot afford to burn/plant.

I don't think it is "Unfair" that some people get interned in solid oak coffins lined with gold whilst others get burnt / buried in plywood. We DO live in a Capitalist society - Despite what McBroon and Bliar have tried to do us.
Old 14 November 2008, 09:24 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Theres something a bit odd about the story - if someone dies and they dont leave any assets or inheritance, and their next of kin cant afford a funeral the council does it and the benefits people pay. This is one of the things all our National Insurance payments go towards, just like state pensions for old people and NHS healthcare.

My wifes father died leaving pretty much nothing, and at the time she couldnt afford to pay for a funeral, filled in a couple of forms for the benefits agency ( her father was on the sick when he died ) and they took care of everything.

The funeral may not have been hundreds of mourners and horse drawn carriages, but the service etc... was carried out in the same place it would have been done if she had paid for it, with the same vicar etc... and he was cremated in the same crematorium. Only difference was she got his ashes in a big plastic container rather than an ornate hand tooled oak one with gold plated handles.
Old 14 November 2008, 09:31 AM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

As other have said, Council / Benefits people will pay, and they look like they get benefits to me.

And what about their relatives? Can't they help out?

Smells fishy to me, I certainly won't be helping them out.

Couple of years ago, an elderly family member on my wifes side died leaving nothing, and we all chipped in £100 which then paid for the funeral
Old 14 November 2008, 09:31 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Actually, reading over the accounts of the story - would I be cynical in thinking these kids are selling off loads of stuff they dont want on Ebay, hoping to get a lot more than its worth because of the circumstances and publicity ???

It says the eldest son was her full time carer as she was disabled, in this case the social would cover all costs, and the kids certainly wouldnt have to 'pay £2500 up front for the funeral'

All seems a bit fishy
Old 14 November 2008, 09:37 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Something more lighthearted about my wifes father when he died :

She wanted him cremated because as a fisherman, he wanted his ashes scattered at sea. After the funeral she got the container of remains, and with one thing and another we didnt get around to taking him down to the place he wanted to be scattered for a few years.

We got one of the local captains to take us out on his boat onto the fishing grounds on the sly ( apparently you cant scatter people anymore without permission from loads of government agencies ) keeping an eye out for the coastguard while we were out.

When we got back to the port, he dropped us off and gave his condolences and said something about how hard it was at times like this with the grief etc... Both of us were thinking 'yeah, but it helps if you leave it 3 years after the funeral to do it !'
Old 14 November 2008, 09:47 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Something more lighthearted about my wifes father when he died :

She wanted him cremated because as a fisherman, he wanted his ashes scattered at sea. After the funeral she got the container of remains, and with one thing and another we didnt get around to taking him down to the place he wanted to be scattered for a few years.

We got one of the local captains to take us out on his boat onto the fishing grounds on the sly ( apparently you cant scatter people anymore without permission from loads of government agencies ) keeping an eye out for the coastguard while we were out.

When we got back to the port, he dropped us off and gave his condolences and said something about how hard it was at times like this with the grief etc... Both of us were thinking 'yeah, but it helps if you leave it 3 years after the funeral to do it !'

Slightly better than the chap whose wife nagged him to an early death. He decreed that his ashes should be scattered all over the living room carpet
Old 14 November 2008, 10:41 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I've asked Keith Richards to snort my ashes. He should get a hit off them, especially when he gets my alcohol soaked liver ashes
Old 14 November 2008, 11:45 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
This is the problem, we are now in a time where people expect the state to sort everything out and charity and human kindness seem to have diminished in the process. It's about time the state took it's snout out of the trough and stopped robbing the general public to keep the scroungers in their 20 B&H a day a let people choose how to spend their own money like helping out this family.
I may have underestimated humanity

BBC NEWS | England | Derbyshire | Donor pays orphans' funeral bill
Old 14 November 2008, 11:59 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

isn't cremation cheaper? <ducks>
Old 14 November 2008, 12:08 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

they've now got all the money and some to put in trust for them... it must be quite a wadge to put into a trust....

shouldnt they be buying the family pets back????!!
Old 14 November 2008, 12:22 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Hard people, I would guess their mother struggled to bring 3 kids up without a father and probably couldnt afford life insurance. I know many people who dont have home insurance!

I'll be posting a cheque this evening
Old 14 November 2008, 12:40 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

So, Why couldnt the Funeral Directors just issue them a Bill after ? They knew they would be paid, but would only offer the family a upfront payment, Isnt the problem with the Funeral directors? He must know how the system works so why not bend the rules knowing a payment will be made once they have a bill.
Old 14 November 2008, 12:45 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
So, Why couldnt the Funeral Directors just issue them a Bill after ? They knew they would be paid, but would only offer the family a upfront payment, Isnt the problem with the Funeral directors? He must know how the system works so why not bend the rules knowing a payment will be made once they have a bill.
So who was going to pay it then?

The State aren't going to cough up two and a half grand. dl

Quick Reply: kids selling belongings to bury their mum?