Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A sign of disrespect or standing up for what they believe in?

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2008, 05:38 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A sign of disrespect or standing up for what they believe in?

Celtic match protest fears prompt minute's applause for war dead - Scotsman.com Sport

If the fact that the SFA was forced to stage an applaud, rather than a silence, because they feared it would be disrupted by the Celtic fans wasn't bad enough; some of the the arsehole fans decided to do one better and walk out!

I don't know if it's just a bunch of ******* being brainwashed with the views of the dumbass irish republicans. Or it's just an excuse to get their frilly little green and white panties in a twist, as people generally do nowadays. Or perhaps it was only a ploy to get noticed by some; either way I though it was bloody shameful. A total lack of respect. As the article above points out Celtic is believed to have lost several thousand fans in wars over the last century. Games are regularly watched on TV by troops serving in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Thoughts?
Old 09 November 2008, 05:49 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

"These groups do not represent Celtic's support."

Basically it's asmall group of idiots who should be ignored.
Clapping instead of silence is odd but as long as the majority had the right ideas in their heads then I suppose it will have to do.
Veterans maybe be rightly offended but I can see why some clubs would choose clapping as it's less easy to hear the few who would shout f'ing stupid things during the silence.

Case of a few spoiling it for the many
Old 09 November 2008, 05:49 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think its disgusting and annoys the bag out of me. I live in Northern ireland and belfast last week for the homecoming of the soldiers, Sinn Fein(the irish republican party) decided to have a protest against it on the same day. The fact that a bunch of terrorists are in government annoys me greatly but to do this just adds insult to injury

I also was threated to have my throat slit for wearing a poppy as well by some republican yoof. he was told to blow 'er on!
Old 09 November 2008, 05:50 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJay
I personally think its disgusting and annoys the bag out of me. I live in Northern ireland and belfast last week for the homecoming of the soldiers, Sinn Fein(the irish republican party) decided to have a protest against it on the same day. The fact that a bunch of terrorists are in government annoys me greatly but to do this just adds insult to injury

I also was threated to have my throat slit for wearing a poppy as well by some republican yoof. he was told to blow 'er on!
That's some messed up stuff.
Old 09 November 2008, 10:31 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

60 idiots out of 60,000 fans. They don't represent CFC and the fans I have spoken to about it are a disgusted as I am about it all. They weren't missed yesterday & won't be if they continue with there protest.
Old 09 November 2008, 10:35 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Celtic are not a big club, they proved that when they offered a contract to Lee Naylor
Old 09 November 2008, 10:37 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

This is why Rangers and Celtic are hated equally by most other football fans. There's no place for the religious aspect in football IMO.
Old 09 November 2008, 10:38 PM
Manny Fagnet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
This is why Rangers and Celtic are hated equally by most other football fans. There's no place for the religious aspect in football IMO.
Well said!
Old 09 November 2008, 10:52 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO
Celtic are not a big club, they proved that when they offered a contract to Lee Naylor
I used to watch him at Wolves, our gain is their loss!
Old 09 November 2008, 11:04 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is one thing that really p*sses me off. There are loads of young neds that use the 'religion' thing as an excuse to be arseholes. None of them actually have the intelligence to understand what they're fighting about, but I suppose that doesn't matter.
Old 11 November 2008, 11:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well a minute's worth of applause is better than ignoring the supreme sacrifice which was made by those brave people. Just a pity the risk of the spoilers made it necessary.

I found it very moving to watch the ceremony at the Cenotaph on Sunday especially with the extra groups who were marching past.

I still remember when cars used to stop and people would get out for the 2 minutes silence on the 11th.

I felt that the ceremony at the Albert Hall seemed to have lost a bit of its zing though.

Les
Old 11 November 2008, 11:59 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

60 people out of 60k shows you how much of a minority these imbeciles were.

The fact they were booed by their own supporters when they walked out speaks volumes.

Idiots, half of them have never been to Ireland and know nothing about the real conflict bar what they hear in the pub.

I am a Celtic fan, complete minority, just like the idiots at Rangers who wrecked Manchester.

Gives the club bad publicity. They should be banned.

Last edited by Mitchy260; 11 November 2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11 November 2008, 12:13 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

They are 1 of the biggest clubs in the world actually. Very heavily supported worldwide.

Celtic took over 85k fans to Seville for the UEFA cup final a couple of years ago.
Rangers took 200k fans to Manchester for their cup final

The champions leage final between Man Utd and Chelsea a few months back in Moscow had a travelling support of around 70k between them.

Speaks volumes

I am in no way suggesting Celtic are a bigger club than Manchester Utd, but the majority of Man utd fans have never even been to Britain never mind Manchester.

I remember the game at old trafford a couple of years back, Celtic had about 40% of the ground in support.

Phenominal fan base, the fact that they are in the SPL and not getting premiership revenue is the only reason why they can no longer compete in the higher ranks of European football.

Lets not forget Celtic were the 1st British side to win the European cup back in 1967, an achievement in itself, along with the fact that the team that played that day were all Scotsmen.

Last edited by Mitchy260; 11 November 2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11 November 2008, 12:20 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
They are 1 of the biggest clubs in the world actually. Very heavily supported worldwide.

Celtic took over 85k fans to Seville for the UEFA cup final a couple of years ago.
Rangers took 200k fans to Manchester for their cup final

The champions leage final between Man Utd and Chelsea a few months back in Moscow had a travelling support of around 70k between them.

Speaks volumes

I am in no way suggesting Celtic are a bigger club than Manchester Utd, but the majority of Man utd fans have never even been to Britain never mind Manchester.

I remember the game at old trafford a couple of years back, Celtic had about 40% of the ground in support.

Phenominal fan base, the fact that they are in the SPL and not getting premiership revenue is the only reason why they can no longer compete in the higher ranks of European football.

Lets not forget Celtic were the 1st British side to win the European cup back in 1967, an achievement in itself, along with the fact that the team that played that day were all Scotsmen.

So they can manage to get on a flight to Spain or even drive a few hours to Manchester and you're comparing that to finding a flight for circa £1K to Russia? Brilliant!
Old 11 November 2008, 01:14 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
Celtic match protest fears prompt minute's applause for war dead - Scotsman.com Sport

If the fact that the SFA was forced to stage an applaud, rather than a silence, because they feared it would be disrupted by the Celtic fans wasn't bad enough; some of the the arsehole fans decided to do one better and walk out!

I don't know if it's just a bunch of ******* being brainwashed with the views of the dumbass irish republicans. Or it's just an excuse to get their frilly little green and white panties in a twist, as people generally do nowadays. Or perhaps it was only a ploy to get noticed by some; either way I though it was bloody shameful. A total lack of respect. As the article above points out Celtic is believed to have lost several thousand fans in wars over the last century. Games are regularly watched on TV by troops serving in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Thoughts?
Looks to me like the SFA managed a bit of a coup. An applause may feel a bit different but it's big noisy and active and difficult to disrupt. If I was one of 60K fans in a ground during a minute's silence and some oiks were shouting and yelling contrary opinions, I'd certainly think about letting them know my opinion shortly afterwards.

Them walking out in protest is a more dignified result IMO. Hopefully though, someone would have p*ssed on their seats whilst they were away.

J.
Old 11 November 2008, 07:33 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Lets not get into that because that's a whole thread in its self which I look forward to.

Hail Hail.