New Zealand By Campervan?

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2008, 01:38 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Zealand By Campervan?

The missus and I are off to New Zealand for a month next February

The plan is to hire a campervan for the time we're over there so we can tour around. Just wondering if any SNet'ers can help recommend which campervan hire companies are any good and which to avoid Seems to be so many to choose from

Would like to go for a two birth with shower/toilet so that we can camp off the beaten track if we want too. Don't really want to be spending mega bucks either though it does seem like we're going when the prices are highest, doh! Seems like most of them also sting you for insurance, normal excess seems to be around NZ$4000 with options to reduce it to $0 by paying between NZ$20-$30 a day

Thanks,

Graz
Old 06 November 2008, 01:46 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Two berths are really really small. Your bed is also your table, your lounge and your kitchen. You end up having to dismantle the bed in the morning before you can get the kettle on. Either go for a 4 berth or assuming the weather should be good in February in NZ, get one with an enclosed awning or safari room.

Insurance seems about right - we used to hire our old one out. Excess was £1250.00 or excess waiver was £20.00 per day.
Old 06 November 2008, 01:54 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We planned to do the same but found it much more cost effective to buy a car, tour the islands and stay in either caravans or cabin/chalet style places. Cheaper, easier to drive the car and comfier.
Old 06 November 2008, 02:42 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Two berths are really really small. Your bed is also your table, your lounge and your kitchen. You end up having to dismantle the bed in the morning before you can get the kettle on. Either go for a 4 berth or assuming the weather should be good in February in NZ, get one with an enclosed awning or safari room.

Insurance seems about right - we used to hire our old one out. Excess was £1250.00 or excess waiver was £20.00 per day.
Appreciate that they are quite small but don't mind that as we're hoping to be outdoors most of the time. Just need the van for sleeping Fairly used to it anyway as my parents subjected us to caravanning holidays from an early age and then once old enough to venture out on my own I've always been happy enough camping.

The advantage of a smaller one is that it should be nicer to drive, easier on the twisty mountain roads, and also allow us to get to places where you might not necessarily take a big van.

So anyone got an recommendations for places that hire them out?
Old 06 November 2008, 03:00 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

These are known to be good:

New Zealand Car Rentals - NZ Rental Cars & Auto Vehicle Hire from Ezy Rentals
Old 06 November 2008, 04:26 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

we got a 4 birth with shower, table, kitchen etc for 2 of us - was terrific and meant we didn't have to have a fixed itinerary which appealed to us. drove well and no bother through the mountains etc. even better it meant I could get a good night's sleep on the double over the cab away from shuffily missus on the double at the back (table dropped with cushions on it). we'd have killed each other in anything smaller - we were there in november and it was feckin cold and wet.

we liked NZ but tbh Scotland is just as good and more beautiful in many respects. I'm surprised Scotland hasn't introduced bungy/white water rafting etc to the highlands yet as it would then beat NZ hands down.

have fun!

gordo
Old 06 November 2008, 04:34 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Scotland beats NZ hands down?!!!!!!

No surf, bad food, crowded, freezing, etc, etc. Love the Highlands and Cairgorms but better than NZ?! I don't think so.

Where in Scotland can you surf in front of snow capped mountains?!

Old 06 November 2008, 04:43 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
we got a 4 birth with shower, table, kitchen etc for 2 of us - was terrific and meant we didn't have to have a fixed itinerary which appealed to us. drove well and no bother through the mountains etc. even better it meant I could get a good night's sleep on the double over the cab away from shuffily missus on the double at the back (table dropped with cushions on it). we'd have killed each other in anything smaller - we were there in november and it was feckin cold and wet.

we liked NZ but tbh Scotland is just as good and more beautiful in many respects. I'm surprised Scotland hasn't introduced bungy/white water rafting etc to the highlands yet as it would then beat NZ hands down.

have fun!

gordo
Who did you hire it from?

Cheers,

Graz
Old 06 November 2008, 04:48 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Scotland beats NZ hands down?!!!!!!

No surf, bad food, crowded, freezing, etc, etc. Love the Highlands and Cairgorms but better than NZ?! I don't think so.

Where in Scotland can you surf in front of snow capped mountains?!
They don't make a nice Sauvignon Blanc in Scotland either, Whisky makes up for it though

I have been to Scotland many times and absolutely love it but never been to NZ. My other half has been over several times (before we met) and raves about it. Main reason for going is for a friends wedding but we thought we'd better make the most of the trip, especially what with having to spend ~30 hours in transit both ways