Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do thieves, yobs and criminals get treated so well?

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2008, 10:08 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why do thieves, yobs and criminals get treated so well?

Just finished watching Wheeler Dealer on the Discovery channel just to find the programme after it called "Eddie Jordan's Bad Boy Racers" were a bunch of young offenders are given the chance to be coached by Eddie Jordan.

WHY?

Why should they get to do something like this because they are scumbags? If someone were to offer me this chance i would be over the moon infact it would be like a dream come true but unfortunately because i work, abide the law and "don't need to be given a purpose in life" it will not happen.

Disgusting

Can you imagine watching this programme and then realising that one of the fella's getting this once in a lifetime chance was a guy who stole your car? i'd be fooking livid to say the least! When are do gooders going to learn that instead of "helping" these low life bast*rds, we should be locking them up and throwing away the key.
Old 04 November 2008, 10:10 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Its because the people that run our goverment are thick c*nts,end of
Old 04 November 2008, 10:15 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my only post in this thread, otherwise my blood pressure will hit the roof and I will have to kill someone

This annoyed me so much, I can't express on this board without offending someone

Illegal immigrant who killed brilliant Oxford graduate after roaring through red light can't be deported... because of his human rights | Mail Online
Old 04 November 2008, 10:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

didnt i see Ediie Jordan a couple of days ago deriding our no.1 man
Old 05 November 2008, 06:08 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

So you can live in this country if you get someone pregnant?
It was good enough for that popular hero Ronnie Biggs I guess
Do you laugh or cry?
Old 05 November 2008, 06:35 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
This will be my only post in this thread, otherwise my blood pressure will hit the roof and I will have to kill someone

This annoyed me so much, I can't express on this board without offending someone

Illegal immigrant who killed brilliant Oxford graduate after roaring through red light can't be deported... because of his human rights | Mail Online
the only thing missing from that report to completely make you scream would be if Cherie Blair was defending him. bloody woman and her human rights maddness

i'm sure the human rights act helps an awful lot of people, but when it goes wrong, christ does it go wrong.
Old 05 November 2008, 06:38 AM
p1junkie
Scooby Regular

this country and the lawmakers are a ****ing joke the story about the graduate whos life is over because an illegal once again cant even abide by the law of the country he flouted in the first place its high time that ****ing human rights act was burnt allong with tony blair
Old 05 November 2008, 07:12 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If he gets deported, he will probably get away with the crime.

By not deporting him, he will have to stay and serve a sentence
Old 05 November 2008, 07:53 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Felix.

Read the article!

He has already served his pathetic three year sentence and is now a free man

mb
Old 05 November 2008, 09:43 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

That makes my PI55 BOIL!!!!!
Old 05 November 2008, 10:00 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by boomer
Felix.

Read the article!

He has already served his pathetic three year sentence and is now a free man

mb
ooops sorry - didn't see the second paragraph

Sentences are a joke. I have been to court where the punishment dished out is 'a day in the court house'. ie the fact that they have spent the day at court. Which makes me think that me, the victim and the witnesses also spent the day at court - so are we getting punished too.!!!
Old 05 November 2008, 10:15 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The ok way of thinking for the authorities is that people don't commit crimes by their own fault, it is all due to external circumstances and therefore it is not their fault! They don't really like the thought of punishing them at all really! Re-habilitation is the magic word so they get all those advantages over those who behave themselves.

If a law abiding person misses out on say paying some money to them then they will get the book thrown at them of course.

We need some real punishment for criminals, prison with hard labour as it always used to be, ie something that they would rather not have to do again. That used to deter them from re-offending in the past.

Les
Old 05 November 2008, 10:30 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

We need some real punishment for criminals, prison with hard labour as it always used to be, ie something that they would rather not have to do again. That used to deter them from re-offending in the past.

Les
Exactly. Get rid of the TV, Video & games console out of their cells. Spend less money per head on food than a school child (Currently the opposite) and get them doing hard labour.

Chain gangs doing some good in the community.

You just have to look at fines. Pay your car insurance (say £600/year), pay car Tax (£210/year), get an MOT every year (£45), but get caught speeding. BAM..... £60 fine & 3 points.

Drive around with none of the above. Get pulled once in 5 years......

Stupidly low fine of £180 or whatever it is.

Always the law abiding public that get screwed.
Old 05 November 2008, 12:05 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

As much as it is unfpopular you do have to rehabilitate criminals. Ultimately after punishment there has to be a plan to convince scummers to not commit crime anymore and in the long run it will cost less to rehabilitate than it will to keep locking people up.
Old 05 November 2008, 12:05 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Time to get out of the EU!
Old 05 November 2008, 12:12 PM
jacrobat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I think you will find that jurisprudence has been moving in this direction in the UK long before we joined the EU.
Old 05 November 2008, 12:15 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jacrobat
I think you will find that jurisprudence has been moving in this direction in the UK long before we joined the EU.
That's as maybe, but much of our legislation is now coming from the EU with our govenment unable to do much about it, even if they wanted to.
Old 05 November 2008, 12:21 PM
jacrobat
Scooby Regular

We still have the power of veto and rights reserved in the Commission so the UK government is not exercising its veto and then blaming the EU. They don't enact all Directives. For example, all white goods in the EU are supposed to have a 2 year warranty when you buy them but in the UK it is still only 1 as we have never enacted the legislation after lobbying by the supermarkets etc.
Old 05 November 2008, 12:49 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK

here we go again, it's NOT the EU who enforce it, it's our own government.

Other countrys ignore it, but not us. eg: Italy last year rounded up 1000 Albanians they didn't want, and just sent them back.

Ever wondered why? Could it be so that most UK citizens hate the EU?
Old 06 November 2008, 01:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
As much as it is unfpopular you do have to rehabilitate criminals. Ultimately after punishment there has to be a plan to convince scummers to not commit crime anymore and in the long run it will cost less to rehabilitate than it will to keep locking people up.
That is precisely the attitude which is dragging this country down as it is.

The whole point is that there is so significant punishment for real criminals in the first place. Also in all honesty, most hardened criminals are not going to think of being rehabilitated. They will smile and nod at all the good words and then laugh behind your back. Why are there no more places left in prison?

Les
Old 06 November 2008, 01:48 PM
jacrobat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
That is precisely the attitude which is dragging this country down as it is.

The whole point is that there is so significant punishment for real criminals in the first place. Also in all honesty, most hardened criminals are not going to think of being rehabilitated. They will smile and nod at all the good words and then laugh behind your back. Why are there no more places left in prison?

Les
Perhaps more to the point is why we have the largest prison population per head in Europe.
Old 06 November 2008, 09:09 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

...well we certainly have the largest number of pensioners in prison who haven't paid their "poll tax"!

But "more to the point" - do you have a source/reference for your claim that "we have the largest prison population per head in Europe."?

Cheers,

mb
Old 07 November 2008, 08:24 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Luxembourg has the largest in Western Europe according to the latest (2007)count England and Wales are second with 148/100000 population.

That's a long way being the US (740/100000) Russia and China though.

Those numbers took approximately 10 seconds to find using this fantastic new utility called "Google". You should try it some time...
Old 07 November 2008, 11:32 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jacrobat
Perhaps more to the point is why we have the largest prison population per head in Europe.
Thats simply because lots of people here are commiting crimes - what you should look at is the numbers of prisoners per 1000 crimes to get an idea of severity of punishment. The UK, you will find, is very lax - you really have to try hard to get sent to jail.

http://www.civitas.org.uk/data/prisonPopEU2003.htm

Last edited by warrenm2; 07 November 2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07 November 2008, 12:36 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles

The Human Rights Act is an EU law - we would have to leave the EU in order to repeal it. The death penalty is outlawed by the EU - to reinstate it we would have to leave the EU
Old 07 November 2008, 12:59 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
True, but let them serve their sentence as punishment, then have a period of re-habilitation, say 10% of the sentence at the end.
Old 07 November 2008, 01:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles

The legislation comes from the EU, our government is oblidged to enforce it. If we were out of the EU, those laws wouldn't be coming in in the first place.

Other countrys ignore it, but not us. eg: Italy last year rounded up 1000 Albanians they didn't want, and just sent them back.

Ever wondered why? Could it be so that most UK citizens hate the EU?
Other countries ignoring the agreements they have made is not something to be proud of. That we do honour them, shows some degree of honesty, but better yet, we get of the agreement entirely.