Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling My Motor - Dodgy Buyer/Best Way Of Payment??

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2008, 09:07 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling My Motor - Dodgy Buyer/Best Way Of Payment??

Hi All,

Have advertised a car on ebay recently. Had a guy call whilst on auction (he's from Ireland) asking details about the car, history, mileage etc. Told me he did'nt think he couldnt make it to view the car before the auction ended, but if it didn't sell, he'd be back in touch. Has got back in touch since the auction ended, saying he's still interested. He wanted to HPI check car, so asked for reg number. I saw no harm and gave him reg number yesterday. He called today and asked for V5 serial, VIN number, and issue date of V5. I was a bit wary on givng this info (car cloning maybe??), but after saying he'd have to call back to get this info from me, I contacted DVLA to see if it was normal to ask for these details. (I thought only reg required for HPI). DVLA said, (esp if is going to Ireland) that from V5 serial, VIN etc, other checks can be made to ensure car can be registered ok in Ireland. I gave the details mentioned and the guy said he would be back in touch once he had HPI results. I hope I have done the right thing and not set myself up for a clone car inc V5. If this sale does go ahead, as I'm a little wary, whats the best method for recieving funds??? I have accepted cash in the past, but would prefer electronic payment. If I get funds transfered straight into my account, can the payment be withdrawn / pulled back afterwards???
Old 09 September 2008, 09:34 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Cash is king 100%, nothing else is 100% SECURE
Old 09 September 2008, 09:39 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Stick with cash.... I ended up buying with cash and both the seller and myself were 100% happy with it.

Transfers tend to leave a little doubt on both sides....
Old 09 September 2008, 09:46 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cash works for me.
Old 09 September 2008, 10:17 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Irish cars have historically been dearer than in the uk, so the story is plausible. Notes can be forged. An electronic transfer to your bank account is the safest method to accept payment IMHO
Old 10 September 2008, 09:54 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

ive had several cars go over there, a couple times they flew over and bought with cash, other times they just put the cash in my account and sent a recovery truck to collect !! cars are dear over there.
Old 10 September 2008, 10:02 AM
New_scooby_04

Hi Mate,

As a warning: there were a series of fraudulent transactions from Ireland reported a while back, Scooby owners were targeted as well as other High performance car owners. Same M.O. Buyer from Ireland, comes over with a bankers draft, but arrives after the banks have closed. Seller takes payment on good faith believing the draft to be a reliable method of payment, only to find when the banks open the next day that the draft isn't worth the paper its printed on.

There is only one completely safe (and hassle free) way to do this: CHAPS transfer from bank account to bank account: Happens within a few hours, costs about £20, which the seller will pay in order to transfer the funds. Make it clear to the buyer that you will ONLY release the car once the funds have cleared in your account, no ifs no buts. They turn up out of banking hours, tough *******; they'll be staying overnight till the banks open. A genuine buyer will understand completely.

Ns04
Old 10 September 2008, 10:09 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Agreed. Also bear in mind that an HPI check can be done in about 5 minutes, there's no actual need to do it in advance. On several occasions I've been to view a car, agreed a price, then called HPI from my mobile at the seller's location as a final check before handing over the cash. You could insist that they do that instead, and offer to pay their expenses if the HPI check comes up with something bad.
Old 10 September 2008, 12:10 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Cash is king ................... but there are a lot of forged notes out there!
Old 10 September 2008, 12:17 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by r32
Cash is king ................... but there are a lot of forged notes out there!
Hence why E-transfer is better, no risk of dodgy notes. If a bank accepts a deposit of forged notes which is subsequently used in a transaction, it's the bank's problem, not the seller's.

Ns04
Old 10 September 2008, 12:38 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

CHAPS CHAPS CHAPS, the ONLY way! I sell boats for a living and regularly transfer large sums of money from purchasers to me and won't accept any other form of payment than CHAPS
Old 10 September 2008, 12:40 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
CHAPS CHAPS CHAPS, the ONLY way! I sell boats for a living
Sal, you make coming up with filthy responses too easy sometimes...I'm not even going to bother stating the comeback to that, as you'll already have guessed it!

BTW Listen to my wife everyone!
Old 10 September 2008, 12:48 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Sal, you make coming up with filthy responses too easy sometimes...I'm not even going to bother stating the comeback to that, as you'll already have guessed it!

BTW Listen to my wife everyone!
It's not me, it's your filthy mind

God, it would appear that I married a perv

Yippee!!
Old 10 September 2008, 02:18 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies! I think CHAPS is the way to go. I have accepted cash before (some guy who viewed one of my cars on a Saturday afternoon turned up at the local train station on the Sunday with £13500 in his rucksacK!!!) but really wary of forged notes. Same with bankers drafts really.

Proby
Old 10 September 2008, 05:09 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

You could ask the question over here ScoobyIreland.com - for Irish Subaru owners and enthusiasts! it may be some of our members that have been in contact about your motor (assuming its a scoob).

Would be a quick way to put your mind at ease. there are a lot of us who will go the UK to buy cars, simply because there is a much wider choice through greater numbers and there is a small saving to be had.