Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crime down by 9%

I mean recorded crime

BBC NEWS | UK | Police-recorded crime down by 9%
Old 17 July 2008, 10:05 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The BCS is a pretty reliable indication of crime levels. However, it would be interesting to see the age breakdown of knife crime.

Whilst crime overall has fallen, I've a feeling that youth crime is on the up.
Old 17 July 2008, 10:09 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Crime overall hasn't fallen. It's just that less and less things are recorded as crimes, now, and less and less people report things as they know nowt will be done

Labour: tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime, so long as it's motoring related and the motorist is driving a registered car with a number plate we can read easily so we can send him a bill, sorry, a fine, without catching him, otherwise **** off!

Alcazar
Old 17 July 2008, 10:24 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MattW
PMSL.
"Police-recorded crime in England and Wales fell 9% in the 12 months to March, latest figures suggest."

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said she was "extremely pleased" with the overall crime reduction.
Ah - "police recorded."
When are they going to figure out the reason it's dropped is that the public have lost so much confidence in the abilities of the police that they no longer bother to report crime anymore?

Jacqui Smith says she's extremely pleased - well I'm sure she is; she probably had the statistics altered by Labour's professional spin doctors to suit her purpose.

In fact, I think that spin is the only thing this government's good at. Problem is, people are starting to realise everything that comes out of the Labour camp is bullsh*t. And what will they do then...?
Old 17 July 2008, 10:25 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by alcazar
Crime overall hasn't fallen. It's just that less and less things are recorded as crimes, now, and less and less people report things as they know nowt will be done

Labour: tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime, so long as it's motoring related and the motorist is driving a registered car with a number plate we can read easily so we can send him a bill, sorry, a fine, without catching him, otherwise **** off!

Alcazar
Old 17 July 2008, 10:25 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said she was "extremely pleased" with the overall reduction.

hmm.... another case of NuLabor propaganda broadcast via the State Propaganda Production Agency - aka the BBC

I'm afraid I belive nothing much of what either have to say these days
Old 17 July 2008, 10:27 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

What else can you measure if not recorded crime? I mean you can't measure unreported crime, can you.

Trending Topics

Old 17 July 2008, 10:36 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

There was a report in the paper yesterday where the police are to be targetted to respond to emergencies within 3 hours, and all other incidents in 3 days.

I really does beg the question, "why bother".

A friend of mine, when he lived in Hackney, reported an man standing in the middle of the road, half naked, aggressively waving a large knife at anyone passing. It took over 2 hours to for the police to respond - with one PC on foot.

However, a few old dears playing greens bowling without paying their fees recently, got a response of 7 coppers in 4 cars with sirens blaring.
Old 17 July 2008, 10:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The point is though, do we trust those who record the crimes to manage to include them all, or do many crimes not appear anyway for one reason or another.

How many of these disturbances and threatening behaviour which we cant get the police to do anything about anyway but are still crimes against the public or even thieving which has not been solved count on the list.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 17 July 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 17 July 2008, 12:05 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Apparently does not include crimes by the under 16 age group - outstanding!

Aklso does not include unreported crimes - According to a A&E doc interviewed recntly many of the stabing victims he sees do not report the crime - non crime then.

It just does not show the whole picture, especially the real serious stuff affecting us all - or could affect us so easily.
Old 17 July 2008, 12:17 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

They recently taken criminal damage out of the results too
Old 17 July 2008, 12:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I think we only have to look around to know this is spin of the highest order.

The real insult is they think we are dumb enough to fall for their lies.
Old 17 July 2008, 12:35 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Last time I rang 999 to report some kids vandalizing the local school, I was told to ring the non emergency number. I won't bother next time.

People have lost faith in the police/ justice system so no long report crimes.
Some ****** has ripped the front badge off my subaru, and tried to prise off the fog light covers. Is it criminal damage? yes Will the police give a flying fu ck if I ring them? no.
Old 17 July 2008, 12:35 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Obviously this is all crime. Not just violent crime or knife crime.

The BCS figures are fairly reliable - Any mentions of "unreported crime" are completely, completely unquantifiable. You could say that there are 2,000,000 unreported crimes a year, or you could say there are 20, there is no way to prove or disprove either.
Old 17 July 2008, 12:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

The BCS figures are fairly reliable - Any mentions of "unreported crime" are completely, completely unquantifiable. You could say that there are 2,000,000 unreported crimes a year, or you could say there are 20, there is no way to prove or disprove either.
Exactly.

Les
Old 17 July 2008, 03:37 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

there will always be , and has always been unrecored crime but you could make a guess that recorded and unrecorded would fall at similar rates
Old 17 July 2008, 03:39 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by alcazar

Alcazar
Spot on!
Old 17 July 2008, 04:14 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

However, knife crime would be a more quantifiable figure if the crime was reported by the A&E/hospital as another knife crime incident - at least we would have a much better idea about something which is disturbing and getting worse - even by govt figures.
Old 17 July 2008, 05:16 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
However, knife crime would be a more quantifiable figure if the crime was reported by the A&E/hospital as another knife crime incident - at least we would have a much better idea about something which is disturbing and getting worse - even by govt figures.

It is. Hospitals report stabbings, or paramedics attending call it in.
Old 17 July 2008, 06:39 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

It's a paradox, recorded crime has been going down over the last few years yet people's fear of crime is going up.

There have been more knife attacks in London recently and the papers and TV are full of angst about what we should do, yet knife crime has gone down in other parts of the UK and we hear nothing about it. Glasgow has had some of the highest knife crime in Western Europe for years, double the rate of London, yet the London based media clearly weren't interested in the story. It would be good to have some objective reporting on it all....
Old 18 July 2008, 04:13 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

What else can you measure if not recorded crime? I mean you can't measure unreported crime, can you.
I guess "stats" can be made up. It works for climatologists.
Old 18 July 2008, 06:14 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bet that if the official figures had reported an increase then everyone would believe them!
Old 18 July 2008, 06:51 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Suresh
I bet that if the official figures had reported an increase then everyone would believe them!
Probably true, because most people know that crime is increasing, or they think they do. But its the reports of what they keep taking out of the results, crimes that arent classed as reported that cause distrust of the figures.
Like inflation, its worse than Gordons figures would show.
Old 18 July 2008, 07:11 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a good general rule that people in England never believe crime is going down, no matter what the figures, or who produced them. If the figures really are falling in any area of crime, then the English just stop talking about that type of crime so they con pick another type of offence to whinge about.

M
Old 18 July 2008, 07:11 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

r32: Let me ask you this: has car theft increased or decreased over the last 10 years? Tip: Vehicle crime is down by 61% since the peak in 1995 (according to the home office).

As was said earlier in the thread the fear of crime has risen, but actual crime itself probably hasn't. No one knows for sure though.

Inflation is a standardised ILO measure so Gordy can't **** with it, unlike the 18 non-standard changes that were made to the way unemployment was measured under the last Tory government.
Old 18 July 2008, 09:50 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Suresh
r32: Let me ask you this: has car theft increased or decreased over the last 10 years? Tip: Vehicle crime is down by 61% since the peak in 1995 (according to the home office).

As was said earlier in the thread the fear of crime has risen, but actual crime itself probably hasn't. No one knows for sure though.
Suresh - that's probably because most cars nowadays (well, those likely to be pinched!) are fitted with good alarm and immobiliser combinations, which mean the only way to steal the vehicle is to take the keys or carjack the occupant. Which is probably why the fear of the crime is up! I mean - would you rather have someone take your car with you away from it, or in it!!
Old 18 July 2008, 02:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
It's a good general rule that people in England never believe crime is going down, no matter what the figures, or who produced them. If the figures really are falling in any area of crime, then the English just stop talking about that type of crime so they con pick another type of offence to whinge about.

M
Don't you think that because we have been continually lied to about just about everything for the last eleven years or so that we are very loth to accept anything that we are told by this crummy lot which appears to be an achievement?

Les
Old 18 July 2008, 02:40 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

All this rubbish i keep hearing about knife crime is just jarring me!

Really it is not something new but something that has been going on for years and years and the only reason why the papers are full of it at the moment is because they have nothing else to do and the people who control the media (the Government) wont to bring in this new rule that they (the police) can stop and search anyone with no reason!

So by scaring us telling us how much knife crime there is when they do bring it in no one will have anything wrong to say against it as the media has already made us all scared that we may get knifed for nothing!

And the new rule will only make people hate the police even more as they will be stopping everyone for nothing!

Who controls the world??? The News!

My 50p anyway
Old 18 July 2008, 08:21 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie
Don't you think that because we have been continually lied to about just about everything for the last eleven years or so that we are very loth to accept anything that we are told by this crummy lot which appears to be an achievement?

Les

No, because it goes back a good deal more than eleven years. I remember (and so should you, I believe) exactly the same arguments in the days of the Blessed Margaret. I'd bet money that the same whinging has been going on since people actually started gathering statistics. And the English were probably making the same complaints before that, except then they couldn't accuse the government/King of massaging the figures because there weren't any. Mind you, for most of history the people governing the country have been lying about crime rates...

M
Old 19 July 2008, 12:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
No, because it goes back a good deal more than eleven years. I remember (and so should you, I believe) exactly the same arguments in the days of the Blessed Margaret. I'd bet money that the same whinging has been going on since people actually started gathering statistics. And the English were probably making the same complaints before that, except then they couldn't accuse the government/King of massaging the figures because there weren't any. Mind you, for most of history the people governing the country have been lying about crime rates...

M
My point of course was about this last lot of crime figures and my reasoning behind most people's opinions of them.

I would be inclined to agree with what you say about previous times, and probably for the same sorts of reasons!

Les

Quick Reply: Crime down by 9%