Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Would you fly to the USA!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2002, 02:58 PM
bing-bonger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok here's the deal, Me and a couple of friends are thinking of going to the USA, at present the only flights we can get onto are ones where you fly to a US city say Atlanta, then get off and get on to a connecting 'internal flight' to your final destination. Considering all the 'bad events' that have happened on US internal flights to YOU guys think that it worth taking the risk and getting onto a internal US flight.

thanks
Old 04 February 2002, 03:06 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

'All the bad events'? How many are we talking here as a percentage of all the internal flights in America over the past year? This is probably the safest time to go, as quality of security is more important than cost of security for now.
Old 04 February 2002, 03:11 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I agree with FB, I'd have no problems going at the moment.
Prices are unbelievably cheap at the mo too
Old 04 February 2002, 03:16 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Been to the USA twice in the past few months. Once before the 11th September and once after. Can honestly say the security is much better now than it was, so expect a delay getting in and coming out the country.

The security is much better than it was before the 11th. Before then, I caught a plane from El Passo (Mexician border) to Atlanta, and can honestly say they didn't check my bags or passports, and due to a storm our flight was delayed. When we arrived at Atlanta we had ten minutes to get on the flight back to UK. They didn't check bags or passports can't see that they had time to screen my suite case either

Oh and a word of warning, I have never been to an airport like Atlanta before in my life. Talk about double handling, you have to do security twice Takes a couple of hours to get out the airport!!!

I would do it mate, chances of something happening again, is remote IMHO (touch wood).

Cheers Phill C
Old 04 February 2002, 03:18 PM
AlainProst
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Yes, get some perspective and chill out.

In the last week, a couple of truckers sadly lost their lives when their trucks below over. It's windy today, so should you stay at home in bed wrapped in cotton wool?

Last week a couple of folk were shot in Nando's in Shepherd's Bush, so should you never go out for a meal and always stay behind locked doors?

As FB says - it's probably never been safer. I took a work trip to the states in Oct last year with two transatlantic flights and two internal flights. My bags and I were searched 8 times. Did it **** me off? Yes. Am I glad they did it. Too right.

Relax and enjoy your holidays.
Old 04 February 2002, 04:04 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Terrorists have been targetting big cities like London for years, yet I don't think twice about going into London.

I have no quarms about flying either - you've probably got more chance of dying in your car on the way to the airport than you have in the air.
Old 04 February 2002, 04:08 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

...just get over there and enjoy it....oh, and bring me 200 Marlborough Lights back
Old 04 February 2002, 04:13 PM
bing-bonger
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

easy folks.....all true very true........just to let you know i've managed to book direct flight to my destination via BA for under £250 inc tax.......... all i need now is a hotel to stay in any one recommend any good sites!!!!

Old 04 February 2002, 04:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Would I fly to the USA? yup, no probs, in fact I've just done that, twice, there and back since Sep 11th, no problems at all (actually flew back on firday evening). Plus I've been on a few internal filghts as well, again no problems. Oh, and all flights were with American Airlines.
Old 04 February 2002, 04:22 PM
AlainProst
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

well done mate - good price! Do you have to stoke the RB211's or what for that price? Where ya goin anyhow?
Old 04 February 2002, 04:41 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Came back from NYC just after new year. I have NEVER seen so much security at JFK before. It took ages to get through the section where they scan your carry on luggage.

I make the mistake of wearing "CAT" boots and had to take them off to go through the scanner. I then set of the metal detector off as I had a packet of Airwaves gum in my pocket !!!!!

It was very re-assuring to see to be honest. I would have no problems travelling international to the USA, or internally within the USA.

Cheers

Old 04 February 2002, 05:57 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Me and my girle are flying to New York soon. Yeah we were a bit concerned but in the end when your times up, your times up.

Darren
Old 04 February 2002, 07:03 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

I'm flying to Dallas direct in April and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Considering it's gonna be cheaper for me to fly return to Dallas than it is to fly to Glasgow this has to be the best time ever to go.

Just do it, life's to short to worry!

DP.
Old 05 February 2002, 09:07 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

My other half is a New Yorker, and her mom came out to see us the week after 11 Sept. Can't say it bothered her too much !

Although she did say that the flight was empty in both directions !!!

I went over to New York on New Years Eve, the flight was full (Manc to JFK). And coming back it was packed to the rafters (do planes have rafters ???)

Although the carriers say its affected them heavily, we certainly didn't see any change in the numbers travelling.

Mark
Old 05 February 2002, 09:30 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

I got back from a holiday in New York last Thursday. It was fantastic I have been before and it will never be the same. The only busy place was Times Square. All the bars were very quiet as were all key tourist attractions. Liberty Island must have had 12 people on it. Usually they are queuing for 2 hours. As you can imagine Ground Zero is a very somber place, and I don't mind admitting I shed a tear or two.

Hopefully in time it will bounce back, the Yanks are a very proud and determined bunch. Even the Afghan Kebab House just off Broadway was displaying 'United We Stand' Stars & Stripes flag (But I took that with a large pinch of salt).

We managed to get the flights for £130 each (Thanks to the Daily Mail) I then used www.priceline.co.uk for my hotel. I managed to get a top hotel for £75.00 per night. Should have cost $300.00 a night

Get yourself off. You'll love it!!

TONY
Old 05 February 2002, 09:37 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

STOP - Don't do it! The place is absolutely chock full of Americans............
Old 05 February 2002, 10:29 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

We too went Ground Zero. Went to the little church (where people sheltered) which still stands despite the fact it was practially in the shadow of the WTC.

I have to admit it was very emotional.

One of the hardest hitting things was all the posters of missing people posted in Penn Station. You would not believe how many there were it was truely sickening. My better 1/2 wanted to take a photo of the wall to show people here ~ but out of respect we decided that she shouldn't really.

Old 05 February 2002, 01:19 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Don't do it. Ive got a VERY BAD feeling.

Trust me.
Old 05 February 2002, 01:40 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

Get a ******* grip !!
Old 05 February 2002, 03:25 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Used to fly to the States a lot on business - security is tighter now than it used to be. That said, I used to carry a Leatherman multitool with me (the one with several large and very sharp blades). I went to just about every major airport in Europe and never once was it questioned Don't think I would carry it now though.

As regards security - Atlanta is certainly tight. The best (worst?) I've been through was Cairo - I think the checked and x-rayed my luggage at least three times before it got on the plane!

Chris
Old 05 February 2002, 03:32 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Regularly used to be asked to power up my laptop when transferring in Schiphol (sp?) airport.

Usually embarrasing as by the time I got to the airport it had no power to boot !!!

Old 07 February 2002, 04:45 PM
bing-bonger
Scooby Regular

rik you joker!!!!!!!
Old 02 July 2002, 03:07 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Dont say I didnt warn you when the planes crashing down in a ball of flames!

[Edited by rik1471 - 2/7/2002 3:08:33 PM]