Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tossing 02

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2008, 08:44 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Tossing 02

Well it looks like I wont be able to upgrade my phone on friday to the new iphone 3G after all. January I needed a new handset as my last Motorola crapped out on me. Explained at the time that I needed a handset to tide me over until the new iphone came out. They said only new 12 month contracts were available so I had to have one of them.

This morning I spoke to them about upgrading and it seems I cant so my only options are to wait until February 09 or cancel my contract and pay the fees totalling nearly £400

So it looks like my long relationship with 02 (nearly 8 years) is going to be coming to an end. I frankly am sick to death of them and the way they treat their so called select and loyal customers

Anyone want to buy an LG Viewty
Old 07 July 2008, 09:16 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the lack of sympathy but I thought most people know once you sign up for a new contract that your upgrade options are limited until near the end of it or you have to pay extra to upgrade. Or was it a case that they said you'd be able to upgrade to the iphone at no extra charge?
Old 07 July 2008, 09:33 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Sorry for the lack of sympathy but I thought most people know once you sign up for a new contract that your upgrade options are limited until near the end of it or you have to pay extra to upgrade. Or was it a case that they said you'd be able to upgrade to the iphone at no extra charge?
Dont worry about the sympathy, not looking for any. I was just annoyed that at the time I needed a handset as mine had broken. So I was stuffed, though, and this is where I get mad, at the time of the upgrade I mentioned I would be needing the handset only as a stopgap to the 02 advisor and they said come July or whenever it would be announced, we could discuss my upgrade options then.

So it looks like I cant upgrade to the phone that I have been waiting for for over a year now ..oh well you live and learn
Old 07 July 2008, 09:37 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Dont worry about the sympathy, not looking for any. I was just annoyed that at the time I needed a handset as mine had broken. So I was stuffed, though, and this is where I get mad, at the time of the upgrade I mentioned I would be needing the handset only as a stopgap to the 02 advisor and they said come July or whenever it would be announced, we could discuss my upgrade options then.

So it looks like I cant upgrade to the phone that I have been waiting for for over a year now ..oh well you live and learn
If he explicitly made a promise that there would be some deal made for the upgrade then you could complain and get the phone conversation retrieved. If he just made a woolly comment like 'discuss' then there isn't much you can do.

Steve
Old 07 July 2008, 09:57 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Worth pushing them over it maybe? Say you feel they misled you over your options and see if they can sort something as a goodwill gesture.

In the situation you faced I'd have bought a cheap handset to tide you over until you could upgrade and start a new contract.
Old 07 July 2008, 10:05 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Oh and if you are serious about leaving O2 then Vodafone are offering £130 back through Quidco at the mo which is a great deal.
Old 07 July 2008, 10:08 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Keep pushing, you need to speak to someone a bit higher up the food chain. Tell them that you feel that you were misled when you took the Viewty but most importantly DON'T SHOUT (I know what you're like )
Old 07 July 2008, 11:05 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Don't feel too bad. It seems that even I as a current iPhone customer cannot upgrade to an iPhone 3G just yet.

I got a text message this morning from O2 saying I could go to their site and place my upgrade order, so I did just that only to find that the "upgrade site is currently unavailable".

Seems I am not the only one too. O2 starts 3G iPhone stampede - and runs away | The Register

They really are poor.
Old 07 July 2008, 11:32 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Oh and if you are serious about leaving O2 then Vodafone are offering £130 back through Quidco at the mo which is a great deal.
Well they may find that a loyal customer of theirs is walking away from them
cheers for the headsup though
Old 07 July 2008, 11:32 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Keep pushing, you need to speak to someone a bit higher up the food chain. Tell them that you feel that you were misled when you took the Viewty but most importantly DON'T SHOUT (I know what you're like )
Me SHOUT

Old 07 July 2008, 11:34 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I can get to the upgrade site now, but am going away for a week so will have to wait
Old 07 July 2008, 11:38 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I can get to the upgrade site now, but am going away for a week so will have to wait

I will look after it for you Jack whilst you are away
Old 07 July 2008, 01:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Chris,
Now you know how I feel! I'm still trying to get a coherent answer from Robbers about what options there will be for existing customers who have a long time left on their contract (needed to replace handset, had to sign new 3 year contract in Jan, so have over 20 months left, that'll be $400 early cancellation fee please!) but are not upgrade eligible.

Here is my latest email:

As per my previous message, I again ask the following:

"What is the situation in regards to customers, like myself, who are
not currently eligible for an upgrade? I had to replace my handset
in January 2008, and thus do not qualify? Will I need to sign a
completely new contract if I wish to purchase the iPhone? Does this
mean I will have to pay the $400 early cancellation fee as I have more
than 20 months left on my existing contract?"

As the launch of the iPhone 3G is next Friday (11th July), and you
have already released your service plans, which I am not at all
impressed with, and I am not alone, but I digress. I would like to
think that you would now know what the situation is regards to my
question above.

Here is the reply"

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your use of
online customer service.

In your recent email, you have informed us that you want to know what
options you have if you are not eligible for a hardware upgrade.

We can offer our lost/stolen/broken program which provides discounts on
a select number of devices, some refurbished. Obtaining a new phone
through this program does not affect your eligibility for a hardware
upgrade. Once you are eligible for a hardware upgrade we can assist you
in ordering an iPhone. A new contract is not required to obtain the
device. If you have any further questions or requests please let us
know.

Well that's totally useless! Are they suggesting I misplace my existing phone, obviously prior to that I'd purchase their lost/stolen phone product, and then I'll be able to replace it, again at cost, with an iPhone. Yeah right. If that is a way of doing it, well, I'm interested in the cost, but it seems dishonest to me as I have to pay for this program, then pay who knows what, certainly not the subsidized price, to get the iPhone.

The second part going on about how they'll help me when I'm hardware upgrade eligible is a joke, they know that's at least a year away, I want the phone now, not in a bloody year.

I'm not overly shocked about the misinformation, Rogers isn't exactly well known for being coherent in their replies.

I was in the local Apple Store yesterday and overhead a couple talking to an Apple employee about an iPod Touch, and then mentioned the iPhone and the couple replied saying "We're not interested, nice device but the price plans are ridiculous, so it's not good for them (Rogers) or you (Apple)". Apple replied said, "Yeah, I know"
Old 07 July 2008, 03:38 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

I can't get an iphone until end of Aug because that's when my current O2 contract runs out. Am I bothered by the situation that I can't upgrade early?... nope, because I wasn't expecting anything different.

Oh well. Come Aug I will consider upgrading to the £35 contract or go with a PAYG one if that is available.
Old 07 July 2008, 05:52 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Remember that wager we had about the new iphone?

PS - In case you missed it =
Old 07 July 2008, 10:12 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

For the record, I'm currently in training for Tossing 09, where I'm hoping to come first.

<-- me laughing at my own jokes
Old 07 July 2008, 11:08 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look ont he bright side - by the time you get an iPhone it'll be cheap as chipattis and all the bugs will have been fixed
Old 08 July 2008, 08:43 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear of your woes. I've only had issues with them trying to sell me crappy tarriffs but no probs with upgrades and phones as they usually made it clear to me, don't think you were given all the options. Been with them since 1996, not had many probs but I think I've been lucky.

One thing I'm confused about is why they didn't just get the original broken phone fixed under O2 warrantee [just had the same thing with an xda orbit and they're giving me a replacment whilst that's fixed, although I've already upgraded to the Orbit 2 (a bit iPhoney)] Other than that, if I've had probs I just use the insurance to get a replacement if the phone is out of warrantee.

Sorry to hear that you've been manipulated into a new contract, sounds like you'll have to shop around a fair bit now
Old 08 July 2008, 08:56 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Not to worry, I have resigned myself to the fact that a new iphone will not be in my hands come friday and so will soldier on with my LG unless someone wants to sell me their Generation 1 iphone to tide me over. I can live without 3G for the time being.

There is no effing way I am going to pay robbing 02 for the cancellation fee, they can swivel on that idea.
Old 08 July 2008, 09:03 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Not to worry, I have resigned myself to the fact that a new iphone will not be in my hands come friday and so will soldier on with my LG unless someone wants to sell me their Generation 1 iphone to tide me over. I can live without 3G for the time being.

There is no effing way I am going to pay robbing 02 for the cancellation fee, they can swivel on that idea.
I tell you what, if it makes you feel any better I'll lend you my brand new 3G iphone next week for a few hours if you like, providing it arrives in time that is
Old 08 July 2008, 09:04 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

I tell you what, if it makes you feel any better I'll lend you my brand new 3G iphone next week for a few hours if you like, providing it arrives in time that is
I tell you what , I will call your bluff and say "BULL****"
Old 08 July 2008, 09:16 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Then you'd be right my sweet But I had you worried for a bit there didn't I?
Old 08 July 2008, 09:18 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the issue here - you took out a new 12 month contract.

And now you are whingeing because you can't break that early?

You should have bought a cheap pay as you go and stuck your sim in it when your handset crapped out on you. Then you'd have been eligible for the upgrade now.

Or done a more watertight deal at the time.

Sorry, Swiss, your rant should be directed at your own lack of foresight, not o2.

And Marcus - Likewise. why did you need to sign a 3 year contract???
Old 08 July 2008, 09:27 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Whats the issue here - you took out a new 12 month contract.

And now you are whingeing because you can't break that early?

You should have bought a cheap pay as you go and stuck your sim in it when your handset crapped out on you. Then you'd have been eligible for the upgrade now.

Or done a more watertight deal at the time.

Sorry, Swiss, your rant should be directed at your own lack of foresight, not o2.

And Marcus - Likewise. why did you need to sign a 3 year contract???

If I had been explained the implications of my upgrade and what they had on my future plans, then yes, I would have either got the handset repaired or done, as you say, got a cheap pay as you go phone. Unfortunately I wasnt advised correctly at the time (as far as I see it) and so made an incorrect judgement call.

I am not naive as to think I shouldn't have pressed for further details, it seems it was a mixture of bad communication and lack of understanding on my part. Still that dosent stop me being pissed off with them after years of being a loyal 02 customer
Old 08 July 2008, 09:28 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Then you'd be right my sweet But I had you worried for a bit there didn't I?
not for a second darling....you would be ****e at poker
Old 08 July 2008, 09:46 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had been explained the implications of my upgrade and what they had on my future plans, then yes, I would have either got the handset repaired or done, as you say, got a cheap pay as you go phone. Unfortunately I wasnt advised correctly at the time (as far as I see it) and so made an incorrect judgement call.

I am not naive as to think I shouldn't have pressed for further details, it seems it was a mixture of bad communication and lack of understanding on my part. Still that dosent stop me being pissed off with them after years of being a loyal 02 customer
LOL

Stop beating around the bush

You were dealing with o2 ffs

You cocked up, come on, just admit it
Old 08 July 2008, 09:57 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

well if it makes you feel better, then yes I cocked up

when I dealt with 02
Old 08 July 2008, 11:32 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Nearly bought a dozen or so of these for work. Looked great I thought - unlimited data plan, activesync, decent browser. Ok, no RDP client, but not a problem because I could do that via the laptop.

Oh no you can't. You can't tether with an iPhone, which means no using it as a modem for your laptop. So that's that idea cancelled.
Old 08 July 2008, 12:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Marcus - Likewise. why did you need to sign a 3 year contract???
Because that's the normal contract term over here. All I wanted to do was replace the handset, and I was eligible for an upgrade, so that seemed, at the time, the best route, but with hindsight it probably wasn't. However, it meant I had to sign a new contract, and then you're into the ECF situation if you want to get out of it. Yes, I probably could/should have done a bit more research, so I know I've only myself to blame for my moaning

I did think about PAYG, but it's not the same as in the UK. Over here, for example, you purchase a $20 refill card and it expires in 30 days time, no rollover. So if you happen to purchase one and don't use it, you've lost $20. To me it didn't seem to have any real benefits over having a contract.

I'm mainly annoyed with Rogers as we are a few days away from the launch and their information for existing customers is incoherent or non-existent. AT&T has some great videos explaining what the options are for customers in my situation, and there is an upgrade path, and it does not mention anything about having to cancel your existing contract and pay ECF's, plus, of course, they have unlimited data on all their plans, another bugbear I have with Rogers' plans.
Old 08 July 2008, 01:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beef
Nearly bought a dozen or so of these for work. Looked great I thought - unlimited data plan, activesync, decent browser. Ok, no RDP client, but not a problem because I could do that via the laptop.

Oh no you can't. You can't tether with an iPhone, which means no using it as a modem for your laptop. So that's that idea cancelled.
I think there is a way to tether the 1st Gen iPhone, however, it does need to be jailbroken, which is something you'd probably not want to do, plus it'll also violate the T&C's of your data plan. The same will probably be true for the 3G as well, someone will no doubt come up with a way to tether it, but you'll need to jailbreak it, as I cannot see Apple allowing such an app on their AppStore.

Quick Reply: Tossing 02