Wireless Hub, Can It Effect You ?

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2008, 04:05 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wireless Hub, Can It Effect You ?

Just got my whole house done up, come to a point where ive moved my internet wireless hub into my room, the thing is ever since ive moved it into my room my head had really started to pain.. Can’t sleep as much till 3, in the morning...
Can the wireless hub effect or harm your body? Mine is just been placed onto a table right next to my bed inline to my head. Im abit worried b’cos 2 nights ago I couldn’t sleep & I had a feeling maybe it might be due to the hub. I got up at 2 in the morning & turned off, after 30mins I fell asleep. Last night it was the same thing so I turned it off again & managed to sleep like a babe.
Anyone ever experienced anything like this or been thru it? Ur help & views pls.
Old 15 February 2008, 04:08 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure its not the fresh paint??

WIFI is 2.4ghz and very very low power, you'ed be effected far more by your mobile phone which up to 1000x more powerful than your WIFI router depending on how far you are from a CELL..

It might be the PSU buzzing or something at an almost sub-audiable level but enough to drive your brain bonkers while you sleep.
Old 15 February 2008, 04:10 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Just put mine in my bedroom on the far side wall and i can not sleep very well since it has been in Just turn it off when you goto bed
Old 15 February 2008, 04:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So switch your hub off every night. Or move it. Square, isn't it, so 2x distance is 4x weaker etc...
Old 15 February 2008, 04:12 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

There were supposed to be investigations into whether wireless networks were detrimental to your health. I haven't seen anything published.

Are you sure it isn't the flashing lights reflecting around the room? They can certainly interfere with your sleep (even at a subliminal level).

Steve
Old 15 February 2008, 04:15 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

Get yourself a tin foil hat just to be sure.

windyboy.
Old 15 February 2008, 04:28 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
There were supposed to be investigations into whether wireless networks were detrimental to your health. I haven't seen anything published.

Are you sure it isn't the flashing lights reflecting around the room? They can certainly interfere with your sleep (even at a subliminal level).

Steve
naa.. Nothing to do with da lights on there, or anything else to the above...

My computer tower has a wire connection & I download all night so I can’t really turn it off! I think I might need to contact my ISP to find out if I can discount the wireless only from time to time manually
Old 15 February 2008, 04:49 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sti_Prodrive
Just got my whole house done up, come to a point where ive moved my internet wireless hub into my room, the thing is ever since ive moved it into my room my head had really started to pain.. Can’t sleep as much till 3, in the morning...
Can the wireless hub effect or harm your body? Mine is just been placed onto a table right next to my bed inline to my head. Im abit worried b’cos 2 nights ago I couldn’t sleep & I had a feeling maybe it might be due to the hub. I got up at 2 in the morning & turned off, after 30mins I fell asleep. Last night it was the same thing so I turned it off again & managed to sleep like a babe.
Anyone ever experienced anything like this or been thru it? Ur help & views pls.
remember there's other alternatives to wireless. I use these with great success - they work anywhere around the house where you have a regular electrical socket:
dLAN Highspeed Starter Kit
Old 15 February 2008, 04:51 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sti_Prodrive

Side effects:-

Writing in big ******* letters.
Old 15 February 2008, 05:08 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Oddly, his post shows up smaller than normal on my browser.

In any case, when I was living on my own in a much smaller place, I had a Linksys 11b thing in the living room and started getting headaches. I moved it into the hall and the headaches went away. I've been sat next to a laptop with an 11b card active for plenty of time without problems so I guess it's just the hub.

Put that thing in the hall and you'll be fine, I reckon.
Old 15 February 2008, 05:15 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Smile

cheers every1... thans for ur advice..
Old 15 February 2008, 05:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Whatever the authorities say, far too little is known about the real effects of RF on the human body. I would certainly keep as far from the source of the RF as possible.

Les
Old 15 February 2008, 05:27 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Smile

thanks leslie
Old 15 February 2008, 05:43 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Build it a little "tin foil" hut to live in !

If you are downloading all night doesn't the sound of the cooling fans drive you nuts ?
Old 15 February 2008, 05:46 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by dunx
Build it a little "tin foil" hut to live in !

If you are downloading all night doesn't the sound of the cooling fans drive you nuts ?
cooling fan?? what cooling fan

My computer soo dead that its a nosie free... so no fan sounds at all
Old 15 February 2008, 06:20 PM
Scoobydiid
Scooby Regular

I had my router under the bed for a while, couldn't sleep, or if I did would wake up sweating, almost feeling like I was cooking sometimes. Moved it downstairs and it got better. I have now cabled the whole house and switched the wireless off completely.
Some schools have had to switch off ther wireless due to parent pressure until some sort of conclusion is drawn.
Old 15 February 2008, 06:57 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

its completely safe although it did cause a rash on my third hand for a while

mine is under the main telly and not encrypted either, but if i see it flash while im not on web i turn it off.
Old 15 February 2008, 10:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ours on a timer, it goes off about 12pm and comes on at about 8am.
Old 15 February 2008, 10:12 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I download all night
I'm not surprised you can't sleep with that much ****!

Old 16 February 2008, 12:07 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

I have a BT home hub about 2' away from my bed and i've noticed no difference granted it has no ariel now due to the amount of times it's been kicked around the place due to it ****ing up constantly I even got a free phone with it, but I chucked that in the bin
Old 16 February 2008, 12:18 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

One thing that does give me headaches, is the transducers, coils or switch-mode PSUs which can make a very high-pitch (nearly ultrasonic) squeel.

Some are very loud, but don't appear to be very noticable because its right at the edge of our hearing range.

But its one thing I cannot put up with, at home, or the office - gives me a headache within 30mins of exposure.

And the curlprit making the noise is often wirless hubs/switches, mobile phone chargers, laptop chargers, computer PSUs etc.
Old 16 February 2008, 08:14 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I've had one on the same room that I sleep in for about 3 years now - with no effect at all.

Considering the amount of RF caused by things people don't even know/think about because they can't see them that is blasted around the planet; I don't think the piddly little transmitter in a wireless router is going to fry your brain.
Old 16 February 2008, 10:22 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I have ours on a timer, it goes off about 12pm and comes on at about 8am.
thats a good idea
Old 16 February 2008, 10:49 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The main sign that it's frying your brain is using the word "effect" rather than "affect".....

Old 16 February 2008, 12:20 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I was about to start ranting then until I realised you were talking about the OP!
Old 16 February 2008, 01:10 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
One thing that does give me headaches, is the transducers, coils or switch-mode PSUs which can make a very high-pitch (nearly ultrasonic) squeel.

Some are very loud, but don't appear to be very noticable because its right at the edge of our hearing range.

But its one thing I cannot put up with, at home, or the office - gives me a headache within 30mins of exposure.

And the curlprit making the noise is often wirless hubs/switches, mobile phone chargers, laptop chargers, computer PSUs etc.
SM it's interesting that you say this as nine times out of ten I wake up with a headache in the morning (despite not always boozing the night before ). I always have my mobile phone and the landline charging next to me so I'm wondering if that's the cause
Old 16 February 2008, 03:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
I've had one on the same room that I sleep in for about 3 years now - with no effect at all.

Considering the amount of RF caused by things people don't even know/think about because they can't see them that is blasted around the planet; I don't think the piddly little transmitter in a wireless router is going to fry your brain.
The effects are subject to the inverse square law rule so being that close to the router will feed significantly more rf into you.

The authorities are very quick to say that there is no proof that it can affect you, but as ever with this sort of thing, where is the proof to say that it definitely won't cause troubles later.

Les
Old 16 February 2008, 04:16 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The effects are subject to the inverse square law rule so being that close to the router will feed significantly more rf into you.

The authorities are very quick to say that there is no proof that it can affect you, but as ever with this sort of thing, where is the proof to say that it definitely won't cause troubles later.

Les
Well it is interesting to note that a microwave ovens operate at 2450 MHz (2.4 GHz) Which is more or less the same frequency as a WiFi (or video sender - it you like to watch sky in two rooms through one box ).

Obviously we're talking a few hundred milliwatts instead of 800 odd watts.

But either way seeing that mobile phones use up to 1.8Ghz, it does make me wonder if my ********* have been fried, seeing that they live next to a mobile phone for the best of part of every day.

<books into clinic for fertility test >
Old 16 February 2008, 05:45 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

If you go into your router settings you may find its possible to reduce the power, some have 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%.
Old 16 February 2008, 10:49 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brain waves operate on an extremely low frequency 6 hz or less so 2.4 ghz. So it is unlikely to interfere with your brain If you are still concerned there is always the tinfoil hat.

Quick Reply: Wireless Hub, Can It Effect You ?