Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky Television

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2008, 05:14 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Television

Looking to upgrade to a Sky + System.....been a sky subscriber for a number of years and really dissapointed at the offers to exisiting customers......heard so many people getting so many different prices.....how can they do this?

anyone know who is doing good deals on this at the minute...

Paul
Old 26 January 2008, 05:30 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all depends on what deals are being done at the time. if your looking sky+ i believe it is 149.95 for the box plus £60 fitting. if you dont already have SKybroadband or Talk, add these and they'll do the box for £100
Old 26 January 2008, 05:50 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

...or threaten to cancel, and appear to go through with it, and the 'retentions team' will offer it to you completely FOC.

Tell 'em you've been offered a cracking deal by VirginMedia, including the PVR, at the same price as you pay Sky, and as you spend a lot of time away from home and the PVR would be useful you've decided to switch. Use this story and stick to it, and try and cancel your Sky subscription and I almost guarantee that they'll offer you Sky+ free, free install, free box, free, free, free...

DN
Old 26 January 2008, 06:06 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

had thought about that one...but was concerned if they checked our postcode they would see that we can't get the virgin media service...no cable in this area........
am really confused to be honest....have sky at the minute all I want is the ability to record it onto a hard disc...with possibly the pause live telly thing....seen this on a few HDD/dvd recorders...but not sure if they will work and record from sky or not....am I correct in saying if I get a digital dvd recorder....I can record the sky signal coming from our normal digibox.....dont understand this whole dvd with freeview situation.....if I get one of those can i not record from our sky system....
help....!!!!!!
Old 26 January 2008, 06:16 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

They had a good deal on just before Christmas in Currys, £59 all in inc fitting. The deal was that you had to buy a TV to get that price, however some stores were doing it without. Keep an eye out, SKY might run something similar again.

You can record SKY to a seperate hard drive recorder and then copy to DVD. I also have a Pioneer DVD recorder with hard drive and freeview, the SKY+ unit blows it away.
Old 26 January 2008, 06:23 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AllanP
They had a good deal on just before Christmas in Currys, £59 all in inc fitting. The deal was that you had to buy a TV to get that price, however some stores were doing it without. Keep an eye out, SKY might run something similar again.

You can record SKY to a seperate hard drive recorder and then copy to DVD. I also have a Pioneer DVD recorder with hard drive and freeview, the SKY+ unit blows it away.

thanks mate...all I wanted to do was record sky onto a hard disc so I presume if I get a digital (not analogue) dvd/hdd recorder I will be able to do that.....
just need to work out what the implications of buying one with built in freeview are.....we do have a digital aerial ...so could pick up freeview as well.....
Old 26 January 2008, 06:38 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

If you get a DVD recorder with a hard disc and live pause facility then yes, you will be able to use that to view, pause and record the Sky box output. But for me one major advantage of the Sky+ system is that you can record on two channels at the same time or record one channel whilst watching another. Offering new customers better deals than existing customers is the sort of crap treatment we seem to get all the time from virtually every organisation in Blair's Britain. If you're prepared to follow it through then find out what is the best current offer for Sky+ as a new customer and tell Sky you want that or you will cancel your subscription ("I'm a loyal customer and you reward me by charging me more than Joey Newcomer" etc). As mentioned already, I also know someone who started the cancellation process and was then offered the upgrade free of charge.
If the worst happens you can always join up again as a new customer (it'll be a quick installation for their engineer!).
Kevin
Old 26 January 2008, 06:49 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

OK, if youve got sky+ you can record one (or is it two) sky prog and watch another. if you get an external pvr you will only be able to record the one sky prog and will have to watch trestrial. if you get a pvr with digital it's the same as a sky+ only with freeview but still only able to record the one sky prog.

You could always tell sky you're changing to BTvision?

btw sky will charge you a subscription for sky+ if you don't have a premium package (sports or movies).
Old 26 January 2008, 07:02 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

SKY + you should be able to get it for free, nish, nada!

Couple of people who work for sky are on SN BTW so not to name any names

I know of an existing customer, basic package, no add ons. Been with Sky for years.

He/she phoned up to cancel (on advice on how to get free S+) stated that he/she work odd hours and miss thier fave shows, going to get the BT product instead.

Heh presto - free sky+, free box, free install = FREE.

You do need to push for the free install (they really want you to pay this but stand your ground) - point out that the BT kit is free and you might as well go with them - that seems to do the trick.
Old 26 January 2008, 07:24 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

is the bt a stand alone television thing...or do you need to have there broadband.?
Old 26 January 2008, 07:27 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gilesdwrc
OK, if youve got sky+ you can record one (or is it two) sky prog and watch another. if you get an external pvr you will only be able to record the one sky prog and will have to watch trestrial. if you get a pvr with digital it's the same as a sky+ only with freeview but still only able to record the one sky prog.

You could always tell sky you're changing to BTvision?

btw sky will charge you a subscription for sky+ if you don't have a premium package (sports or movies).
I also understood that the monthly subscription was dropped....no matter what package you have......it there is a fee I wont bother...dont need it that much..will just get a HDD recorder instead...
Old 26 January 2008, 08:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I got mine before chrimbo, just rang em up and gave em the spiel on long hours / not worth keeping it etc...

they offered me it for £49+ the install fee total £79

as me and swmbo were going half as a joint chrimbo pressy it was ideal

Mart
Old 26 January 2008, 08:36 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

I can confirm Sky+ feature is FOC no matter what package you are on with them. Was in PC World today and they were doing half price Sky+ to new and existing customers for £74.99 plus instalation. I`ve had my Sky+ box for about 5 years now and fancy a newer model with bigger HD I`d be happy to pay for the box but begrudge paying £40 or £60 is it just for them to come and unplug my old box and plug in the new one.
When I had Sky+ installed I even run the second and third cables in for him so all he had to do was just connect it all up.

Last edited by All Torque; 26 January 2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 26 January 2008, 08:55 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Bought a new hd sky+ box on e-bay for £240 and did the install myself very easy took about hour no need for a engineer.
Old 26 January 2008, 09:00 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I tried the speil as suggested - and was told to "get lost" basically

Sky are on to this method.

Shame as I've been with them now since 1995.

If Disney was available as an extra on Freeview (thru a common interface card perhaps), I wouldn't think twice about kicking them in to touch.

In fact, I think some investigation is called for

Dan

PS - if any of the SKY people want to PM me with how to get a free box (without going through the main channels), that would be great
Old 26 January 2008, 09:09 PM
hrness
Scooby Regular

just rung sky to downgrade my package, and they let me stay on it, knocked 17 quid a month of my bill for three months, just to get me to keep it, will ring in three months and downgrade it then. hade enough of thousands of repeats of top gear going to a slough nightclub lol
Old 26 January 2008, 09:14 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Was with them 1 year just before xmas, just have the basic entertainment package.

phoned up to cancel, said "am going to be working shifts so now I'll miss my fave progs" offered me the sky+ box, said £149 + £30 install.

Said no thanks can I cancel please.

How about £49 and free install sir?

Said very tempting but no thanks, please cancel.

Oh how about free box and installation then?

Yes please :-)

Well happy with myself. Would have gone through with it and cancelled if they couldn't offer the box and install for free,
Old 26 January 2008, 09:23 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

What's annoying is the fact that you have to go through that whole dance in the first place

DAn
Old 26 January 2008, 09:34 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

wonder if anyone has got a free sky hd box
i might try it but im not lucky enough if i said im cancelling they would just say ok sir its cancelled
Old 26 January 2008, 09:35 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
i might try it but im not lucky enough if i said im cancelling they would just say ok sir its cancelled
I tried for a reduced price on HD, but they wouldn't shift unless I went for the Sky Talk & Broadband, so went for Sky+ and will prob try again for HD in a year
Old 26 January 2008, 10:19 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

but frankly this is what completely !!!!!! me of......everyone gets a different deal depending on how much they push it or what strategy they use...which is why Im so reluctant to give them any more poxy money in the first place....this was clarified tonight when my wife rang to enquire about SKy + and the first question she was asked "how much have you seen it for"...now if that doesnt confirm its all a scam I dont know what...they can stick the Sky + box....I'm of to get a DVD recorder......and will look into getting freeview on our digital aerial now....Sky can pap of....
Old 26 January 2008, 10:29 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

errr.... OK
Old 26 January 2008, 10:32 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Yes, two hacktually !!

Oh, AND free broadband to boot!

*and a vanful of bits and pieces in case it all goes horribly Pete Tong
Old 26 January 2008, 10:34 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
Yes, two hacktually !!

take it you work for them then...
Old 26 January 2008, 10:35 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Yes, two hacktually !!

teach me o master yoda to get me a free hd box
Old 26 January 2008, 10:38 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC555
take it you work for them then...
w*rk I do, for them, Yes

*well, if dealing with numpty customers that feel as though they're being ripped off is called w*rk
Old 26 January 2008, 10:41 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

hope you not calling me a numpty...
Old 26 January 2008, 10:42 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I did - and to this day I don't know how...

I phoned up enquiring about costs and got told i could have one for free including installation!

When I asked why she said "it's an offer for loyal customers"

The phrase containing the words "gift horse and mouth" sprung to mind.
Old 26 January 2008, 10:42 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC555
hope you not calling me a numpty...
You complaining about being ripped off?

Old 26 January 2008, 10:47 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

w*rk I do, for them, Yes

*well, if dealing with numpty customers that feel as though they're being ripped off is called w*rk

o wise master if i ring you directly at sky will you show me the force of sky hd
seriously though how can we the public get one for free thought you might know better the scams or stories

Quick Reply: Sky Television