Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who's looking forward to the F1 season?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2008, 01:32 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Who's looking forward to the F1 season?

Anyone else really looking forward to the 2008 F1 season?!

Only 6 weeks or so until the first race in Melbourne - can't wait!

McLaren and Ferrari have been looking strong in testing - and Hekki is really looking quick in the McLaren. Wouldn't be surprised to see him match Hamilton for pace, and McLaren have a history of successful partnerships with Finnish drivers, so could be one to watch.

Difficult to say who will be the 3rd strongest team this season. BMW seem to have got off to a bad start with their 2008 car having some handles issues. Hard to say with Renault and RBR. Williams however are looking stong. I'd love to see them get back to the front of the grid on a regular basis - massive repect for Sir Frank and Patrick Head, and the team has a great history.

Roll on Melbourne!
Old 25 January 2008, 01:46 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Not me!

Gave up on it years ago and its failed to grab me since.

Although I still have a liking for Monaco
Old 25 January 2008, 01:51 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

If I can get the timings right, work will be flying me out to Melbourne, business class, for 10 days of work, on the Sunday before.
Old 25 January 2008, 01:56 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

im looking forward to it, I think Renault will be back up there with alonso, he has been flying in the new car, very close to the big 2, then I think it will be very close between williams, toyota, bmw and honda and maybe even red bull if they sort out their poor reliability.

Alonso went very fast in last years car as well, which confirms what I thought for a long time that fishichela isnt very good
Old 25 January 2008, 01:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

ME

Never missed a race for over 15 years.

I think Hamilton will start to struggle this year. Second year Blues if you like.
He might struggle being the lead driver (no officially though) in apraising new parts etc. Something Alonso was very good at.

Ferrari. Well I had Massa down to win the Championship last year. I think if he can get a few early wins, he could be in with a chance. Kimi will be very strong this year and again if he get a few early wins, he'll be unstopable this year.

Alonso? Will deffo improve Renault, but they have fallen to far behind to compete this year.

BMW for me will be the team that could upset the big 2. Heinfeld could get 1 or 2 wins this season. He just needs a good car.

Button? I am a Button fan (can't really get behind Hamilton) so I'm hoping Ross Brawn can get the team moving this year, with maybe a spec B car coming in the second half of the season with his design idea's installed.

Red Bull? They really should take a huge leap in performance this year. They have the best designer, but reliability could still be an issue. They need to improve with outright pace too.

Just my thoughts.
Old 25 January 2008, 02:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As ever I am looking forward to it too. I think Fisichella can go fast when he is in the mood. We shall see anyway. I hear the the Williams has been putting in some very good times as well. The Championship could be even more interesting this year.

Les
Old 25 January 2008, 02:05 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Do you really reckon newey is the best designer? I think his ideas are probably quite innovative, but since he left williams, the teams he has been 2 have been unreliable.
Old 25 January 2008, 02:07 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Obviously this bloke is The Press Association: Record price for 'F1' number plate

Sorry for the mini hijack
Old 25 January 2008, 02:07 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

definately looking forward to it and last week mrs g paid for my ticket for silverstone!
Old 25 January 2008, 02:09 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

that was on one of the ECC cars until recently. 1F was "donated" to Essex County Council in the 50's or 60's i think and was also on one of the council's cars until it was sold at auction a couple of years ago.
Old 25 January 2008, 02:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
Do you really reckon newey is the best designer? I think his ideas are probably quite innovative, but since he left williams, the teams he has been 2 have been unreliable.

Actually, I think he's the second best. Rory Byrne was the best, but as he's not working anymore ........
Old 25 January 2008, 02:14 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I love F1. Nothing better settling down at lunchtime with a beer, a few munchies and an F1 race. Wife and nipper out the house so just me, martin and the other fella.

Everyone makes it round pretty much OK for the first 3 laps, I have a cheeky yawn and wake up as the last one crosses the line.

Living the dream my friends!
Old 25 January 2008, 02:17 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Actually, I think he's the second best. Rory Byrne was the best, but as he's not working anymore ........
When he was with Toleman (Now Renault over the years) he and Ross Brawn and some of the others (The dude with the dodgy teeth at Renault) used to use my dads pubs as their local.

Got a vision in my head of Rory passed out at the bar with serviettes tied in his hair.
Old 25 January 2008, 02:22 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
(The dude with the dodgy teeth at Renault)

Pat Symons. (Spell check)

Honda should hire him aswell.
Old 25 January 2008, 02:25 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Pat Symons. (Spell check)
Aye, thats the fella.
Old 25 January 2008, 02:27 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I love F1. Nothing better settling down at lunchtime with a beer, a few munchies and an F1 race.
Even better on the 5am races sets the day up nicely
Old 25 January 2008, 02:29 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

think honda may do well towards the end of the season when it gets back to europe
Old 25 January 2008, 02:33 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Button? I am a Button fan (can't really get behind Hamilton) so I'm hoping Ross Brawn can get the team moving this year, with maybe a spec B car coming in the second half of the season with his design idea's installed.
I would like to see Button in a winning car also. As well as being quick he's also very smooth, so I think he could benefit this year from traction control being banned (about time!). This could mean his tyres dont suffer as badly as some, and he's got the skill to keep the thing on the track.

Hamilton could suffer from traction control being banned as his driving style is quite aggressive and was hard on tyres last year even with TC. He hit the gravel traps a fair bit in testing as well when driving without TC.
Old 25 January 2008, 02:51 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

with hamilton coming from gp2 though it shouldnt really affect him as they didnt have tc either.

I think of all the drivers the no tc rule will suit jenson better though, as like mentioned he is a smooth and fast driver, just never really had the car under him to be a regular winner.
Old 25 January 2008, 03:06 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I dont buy that at all.

Really great drivers will win races in cars that are not the best cars - MS, Senna, Prost etc proved that early in their careers.

People seem to believe Button is such a good driver then why hasn't he been driving for a top team by now? Surely if all the teams rated him so highly then he would have been poached to drive for one of the top 4/5 teams by now?? I think most teams rate him as a good driver but not with the true talent or drive to warrant a top team drive.
He seems more interested in which nightclub to go to then anything else.

Sorry but he has had 8 (?) seasons in F1 now with one lucky win, in a car that I admit isn't a top car, but still good enough to win races in the right hands.
Old 25 January 2008, 03:20 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Not me, couldn't find a more boring or pretentious sport.

A1GP, Touring Cars (Aus+DTM+BTCC), Rallying etc is all much better.
Old 25 January 2008, 03:30 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see Nelson Piquet Jr beat the spantard n a regular basis.
Old 25 January 2008, 03:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
I dont buy that at all.

Really great drivers will win races in cars that are not the best cars - MS, Senna, Prost etc proved that early in their careers.

People seem to believe Button is such a good driver then why hasn't he been driving for a top team by now? Surely if all the teams rated him so highly then he would have been poached to drive for one of the top 4/5 teams by now?? I think most teams rate him as a good driver but not with the true talent or drive to warrant a top team drive.

Sorry but he has had 8 (?) seasons in F1 now with one lucky win, in a car that I admit isn't a top car, but still good enough to win races in the right hands.
I think you are being unfair to Button. He showed his ability in his early drives in a competitive car.

Believe me, if your car is short of performance, especially in F1, it is very difficult and frustrating trying to match their performance, no matter how good a driver you are. Used to be possible years ago but not really any more.

All F1 drivers are well above average to even be in the car so the differences are not so great as to be able to make up for poor car performance.

Les
Old 25 January 2008, 03:39 PM
karl h
Scooby Regular

looking forward to some of this march 9th

Old 25 January 2008, 04:21 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I cant wait, Im hoping to go along to another one somewhere this year.
Old 25 January 2008, 04:30 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by karl h
looking forward to some of this march 9th

Nah, theres 2 wheels missing.

Old 25 January 2008, 04:36 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I dont buy that at all.

Races, yes, but championships? I don't think so.
Name one year where schumi didn't have a competitive car..... and one the championship!.............................
1994 doesn't count as the driver's at Benetton didn't have the same equipment.
Old 25 January 2008, 05:53 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I dont buy that at all.

disagree

rubens barichello is a race winner and he has been consisently beatn by button, usually by a fair margin. Rubens in his last year at ferrari was quite close comparatively speaking to schumi