Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: What would you do for petrol prices?
I would support and take part in road blocks
27.84%
I would be in support of people doing it
41.24%
I would not support road blocks
30.93%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Who would support/take part in road blocks against fuel prices?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2008, 06:08 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who would support/take part in road blocks against fuel prices?

Hi there guys. As we all know as it effects all of us here etrol prices are now beyond a joke with the government ******** us for tax. This is a pople to see who would oppose, who would support and who would support and be willing to take part in road blockades so as to get the governments attention and hopefully lower fuel prices all round the uk. Why should we who is great oil and gas producing nation pay the highest prices?
Old 17 January 2008, 06:11 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

No way......
Old 17 January 2008, 06:14 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
No way......
so are you happy paying what you pay?
Old 17 January 2008, 06:18 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fraser87uk
so are you happy paying what you pay?

To be honest it doesn't bother me really... I'd never be happy whatever they charge, but to be fair I would be more annoyed by being slowed down on my journey by a 'road block' by fuel protesters.... and if I couldn't fill my car and drive to work, well let's just say I would be VERY unimpressed
Old 17 January 2008, 06:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You cant expect any hauliers to help, because their 'O' licences will be withdrawn!
Old 17 January 2008, 06:19 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

You actually need the masses to start and care. Lets face it, all taxes are increased to the point that the mass majority kick up a fuss. Then they back off for a little, only to start and increase them again.

Just look at council tax rises. Still people pay, still no demonstrations like the poll tax issues. People are just too lazy.
Old 17 January 2008, 06:57 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Whats a pople?

I wouldnt be in support of it either, no Im not happy about the price but remember, the government have hardly changed the tax on the fuel have they (what about the VAT you say, yes yes, thats gone up peanuts compared to the actual rises)

Anyway, when you have no fuel to get about, queuing for ages to be allowed a £20 limit (which, lets face it, wouldnt get you far in a scoob ) all your bread and milk deliveries will suffer. The only people you'll hurt in the long run is yourself. Sure the government wont get anything for a few days but soon as the blockades stop, EVERYONE will be out filling up and lining their pockets again. No win situation Im afraid and will just make matters worse
Old 17 January 2008, 07:00 PM
monkeysan
Scooby Regular

whats the point in blocks - it got us nowhere last time

prices came down for a few months then went up to HIGHER than before the protests

i own a subaru, i have accepted i will spend a lot on fuel

if i didnt like it i would have kept my diesel ibiza
Old 17 January 2008, 07:01 PM
superscoobx
Scooby Regular

milk 94p per litre...
aftershave £2000 per l

Do we boycot boots or Asda?

Tbh, I dont care how much it costs me to drive my scoob, the fact is its fun to drive and what i go to work for, well that and the house.

At least the tax goes to the Gov, I know its a lot, BUT we have a lot to pay for were a civilised country.
Old 17 January 2008, 07:03 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by superscoobx
At least the tax goes to the Gov, I know its a lot, BUT we have a lot to pay for were a civilised country.

Comedy genius...
Old 17 January 2008, 07:15 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Originally Posted by superscoobx
milk 94p per litre...
aftershave £2000 per l

Do we boycot boots or Asda?

Tbh, I dont care how much it costs me to drive my scoob, the fact is its fun to drive and what i go to work for, well that and the house.

And how many gallons of aftershave do you need in order to drive to work every day?

Perhaps you can apply less if you commute by train?

Let me know, as I've been told I stink
Old 17 January 2008, 07:31 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Anyone driving a 'gas guzzling' Impreza and moaning about fuel prices, indeed, advocating fuel protests, is a bit silly TBH. Either pay the costs of fuel, or buy a £1k diesel, better still walk everywhere.

Tell me what tax you'd increase/service to cut to pay for these tax cuts on fuel duty.
Old 17 January 2008, 07:38 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Anyone driving a 'gas guzzling' Impreza and moaning about fuel prices, indeed, advocating fuel protests, is a bit silly TBH. Either pay the costs of fuel, or buy a £1k diesel, better still walk everywhere.

Tell me what tax you'd increase/service to cut to pay for these tax cuts on fuel duty.
Yep, i agree.
Yes it costs a lot, but i have just accepted it is one of those things.

It makes me laugh when some of my friends moan about the price of fuel, but are more than happy to spend £80-£100 on a Saturday night getting drunk.
Old 17 January 2008, 07:43 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I want it to be more expensive to get poor people off the roads
Old 17 January 2008, 08:15 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

It is what it is, nothing will change it, either pay for it or don't drive thats the simple solution and the only choice if it bothers you so much. At the end of the day it is a necessity to live and work etc.
, blockades, protest, running naked down downing street, it may get some attention from the media but it'll just make you look silly in the end.
Old 17 January 2008, 08:45 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

It would be pointless.

The main problem is the rise in fuel prices is due to increased demand (from China, India etc) and restricted supply (they are basically pumping flat out and there are no new oil reserves being discovered to replace them). Is a road block going to affect that?

Tax on fuel is more than many countries, but less than some. The fuel duty has been going up at a slower rate than the fuel prices recently. Even if duties were reduced, the treasury would have to generate an equal amount of tax income another way because of existing spending commitments. Net effect, nothing, zero, nada, zilch.

No more talk of road blocks please.
Old 17 January 2008, 09:05 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

why should we pay so much tax on it though? we produce the god damn stuff!

Why dont they lower petrol prices and tax cheap booze and **** instead. That would solve some serious issues. It would be a win win situation.
Old 18 January 2008, 12:57 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

I have not even bothered to read other people's resonses, just know this , i will definately take part. we just need numbers.

A good way to block refineries is t by old bangers a day or so before the protest. when the cops confiscate them its not a problem.

there is 70,000 plus members here among other car forums, plus hauliers, coach drivers etc.

Can't we put up a fight or are we so afraid of nu labia.

the f88kin muppets

we need a revolution.
Old 18 January 2008, 07:44 AM
Reality
BANNED

If I were in charge I would double the tax on petrol.

That should keep more ***** that can't drive off the roads.

I would at the same time scrap road tax and introduce a state funded third party insurance scheme.

Lots of birds - one stone.

As for blocks - last time I was considering finding out the addresses of the ***** stopping me from getting to work and blocking their driveways .
Old 18 January 2008, 08:10 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Dont waste your time

If people can be stabbed shot killed and still no-one takes to the streets to protest why oh why do you think it will happen with fuel?

It's not just the duty but the oil companies involved who hike the price regardless. They know the likelihood of protests is so small now thanks largely to the legislation implemented by Flash & Co.

"Revolution" someone said, please, excuse me while I put the kettle on. I dont wish to die of thirst waiting

It's like the Scoobyslap (infraction) it's here to stay, get on with it or buy a Diesel.
Old 18 January 2008, 11:09 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Supercue
It's not just the duty but the oil companies involved who hike the price regardless. They know the likelihood of protests is so small now thanks largely to the legislation implemented by Flash & Co.
As has been repeatedly pointed out on here each time this comes up, oil companies have nothing to do with setting prices, nor are they able to "hike prices". All of this is down to the markets and speculative trading. There are many reasons for the current high oil prices (mainly instability in just about every oil exporting country) but ultimately it comes down to what traders think it's worth. A fraction of what you pay at the pumps goes to the oil companies - indeed, this is one of their smaller revenue streams.

Originally Posted by fraser87uk
why should we pay so much tax on it though? we produce the god damn stuff!
We're not really an oil producing country any more. We did formerly have large reserves of natural gas, but these are rapidly being depleted, hence the rises in gas price of late as we move to being a net importer instead of a net exporter. We have a relatively small amount of oil in the North Sea, nothing like enough to make much difference to the price we pay for petrol. The majority of the oil reserves in the North Sea belong to Norway.
Old 18 January 2008, 11:30 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't the a*holes change the law so that if you attempt to blockade a fuel refinery/ depot you can now be prosecuted under their "lock you up and throw away the key without charge" terrorist laws?
Old 18 January 2008, 11:34 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New legislation technically makes this kind of action an act of terrorism which means you can be locked up for 30 days 'pending charging'..

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 18 January 2008, 11:36 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Bit of a silly statement that.

Just because you drive a car that does 20mpg, doesn't mean that you should pay whatever it costs.
To drive a car that does 20mpg, you know it's going to cost you more than if you had a car that did 40mpg. However, it's not just high performance cars/SUV's that this effects. People who earn the minimum wage feel it more than most of us on here do, even if they run a more fuel efficent car.

Plus, everything is going up. House prices are so high that people are stretching themselves just to get a small family home. Can everybody buy a house within walking distance of work? Wages are not going up to match rising costs. I dare bet most people on here are worse of than they were last year and the year befor ethat. I'm one of them.
Old 18 January 2008, 11:37 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

What gets me is the price rocketed to $100 a barrel and the petrol cost went up accordingly. This morning, Penfold on BBC breakfast was saying that it is back at $88 a barrel for brent crude (North Sea) oil but the price at our local Shell actually went up. Why is that?

Not all to do with the tax man!

5t.
Old 18 January 2008, 11:38 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
New legislation technically makes this kind of action an act of terrorism which means you can be locked up for 30 days 'pending charging'..

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Luckily theres no room left in Prison.

Oh, hang on. This is New Labour. Let out a murderer 5 years early to send a fuel protester to jail.
Old 18 January 2008, 11:59 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Anybody for whom the price of petrol is top of their agenda of grief is truly blessed
Old 18 January 2008, 12:34 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

And now British Gas has just announced they are putting up the cost of Gas & Electricity up by 15% with immediate effect.

Good job Labour ignore all these price hikes to keep inflation at 2.1%
Old 18 January 2008, 12:41 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Fuel prices are high, but blocking our own roads will do nothing but **** most of us off.

These silly blockade ideas do nothing to the price of fuel, but do everything to disrupt our OWN daily lives, stock deliveries, business/trade and so on.

So, no thanks. Fuel is full on "pay as you go", just a shame road tax and insurance aren't included in a similar manner.
Old 18 January 2008, 12:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would expect the useless prats to get rid of the grossly expensive and inefficient top heavy bureaurocracy setting the target driven workforce which is slowing it all down and causing people to lose all further pride in their jobs because they feel they are no longer trusted to do the job properly.

I would also expect them to stop throwing taxpayers' money away on useless PC ideals and minority associations and start doing something positive for the indigenous people of this country for a change instead of putting us second best all the time!

Then they could afford to cut a few taxes for the first time ever!!!

PS. I drive a Mini Cooper!

Les

Quick Reply: Who would support/take part in road blocks against fuel prices?