Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Soting out these overpaid footballers

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2007, 01:59 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soting out these overpaid footballers

Most of my enjoyment of sport has been ruined by the greed of both the sportsmen and those involved in making lots of money for themselves.Particularly football.

Can't every sports loving fan get all these obscene wages reduced by just not going to matches and secondly not watching it on TV for one year.

Surely its not so addictive that everyone can't have a season without it and give all of this lot a kick in the wallets?

It's just soulless since money took over
Old 23 November 2007, 02:01 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

A good mate of mine is an ex pro. He played for his country in two world cups and at 38 years old has to work for a living, although granted it is top up. It's only a few that earn mega mega money.
Old 23 November 2007, 02:07 PM
03 plate sti 4 sale
Scooby Regular

Not all football clubs are loaded ,just look to the lower leagues .I watch Chesterfield most weeks trust me they need the money .
Old 23 November 2007, 02:09 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

It's only a few that earn mega mega money.
Ok, so your average Premiership footballer earns 15k a week, is that not mega money then???
Old 23 November 2007, 02:14 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

So what. Who cares what they earn. Look at popstars, filmstars etc. they all earn loads as that's what the market will pay.

The only way to "stop" it is to stop watching games, stop watching games on TV, stop buying merchandise, stop companies sponsoring games/clubs and so on. It's not going to happen.

They're not state paid for clubs so why should you care? Unless you favour a communist style country
Old 23 November 2007, 02:24 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Can we do the same for fat git golfers? Hamilton for bottling the world title? The very best footballers deserve every penny they get. don't be jealous because you cant do what they do.
Old 23 November 2007, 02:25 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Whats sickening is the FA wont help out the little clubs who need small amounts to save them from going into administration like Luton Town yesterday yet they think nothing of chucking £2.5m down the drain to pay off clowns like McLaren
Old 23 November 2007, 02:27 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Barwick is a disgrace. How he's still in his job when he picked the manager is beyond me!
Old 23 November 2007, 02:28 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I agree, the whole FA needs a shake up IMO
Old 23 November 2007, 02:38 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by lozgti
Most of my enjoyment of sport has been ruined by the greed of both the sportsmen and those involved in making lots of money for themselves.Particularly football.

Can't every sports loving fan get all these obscene wages reduced by just not going to matches and secondly not watching it on TV for one year.

Surely its not so addictive that everyone can't have a season without it and give all of this lot a kick in the wallets?

It's just soulless since money took over
Watch something else. I just watch whatever local team plays where I happen to be living good or bad.

Of course I still support my home team but if it means paying through the nose to do so then they can stick it.

Likewise British home teams, I was gutted Scotland didn't make it on merit and that England didn't scrape through on luck but I'll just follow other countries I have an affiliation with so it's no big loss.

If we're on the subject of the FA then continued support of 'England' just keeps these feckless fat cats in their job. You need to vote with your feet (actually I'd like to 'vote with my feet' and give them a good kicking)
Old 23 November 2007, 02:40 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Basically what Dracoro and Sti wanna have said - its none of your business so butt out - its no skin off your nose and think of all the tax they pay that helps pay for nurses

Football is a successful business providing something that people are prepared to pay for, and creating loads of jobs, try celebrating that fact - or alternatively f*ck off to Cuba
Old 23 November 2007, 03:01 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Let's worry about the people who're underpaid first. This just smacks of jealousy
Old 23 November 2007, 03:47 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I have no interest in their wealth.

Football is just rubbish now.Fielding second teams for certain cups and all that kind of thing.Fixing kick off times for maximum revenue

My biggest bugbear is the chuntering of these clubs over club(money) first or country (important..IMO).

Oh well.I'll continue not to subscribe to sky sports and continue to support my local lowly team

Used to think it was the pinnacle of someones career to play for their country
Old 24 November 2007, 12:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think they get paid so much that they think they are too important to really try to win a match.

Les
Old 24 November 2007, 01:43 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think they get paid so much that they think they are too important to really try to win a match.

Les
Then they get dropped and dont earn very much anymore. Hey, the system works!
Old 24 November 2007, 02:18 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2

really?? i would think you get dropped and still take home the same amount of cash for the length of your contract, After all Newcastle have been supporting crap footballers for years Marcellino etal took home huge wages for sitting in the reserves.

Last edited by rob878; 24 November 2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 24 November 2007, 05:07 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Basically what Dracoro and Sti wanna have said - its none of your business so butt out - its no skin off your nose and think of all the tax they pay that helps pay for nurses

Football is a successful business providing something that people are prepared to pay for, and creating loads of jobs, try celebrating that fact - or alternatively f*ck off to Cuba
Why not try Communism here? Can't be any worse than the so called democracy we've got.
Old 24 November 2007, 06:30 PM
Will
BANNED

NO they still get paid to sit on the bench, they are only missing out on their goal bonus etc etc...
Old 24 November 2007, 06:51 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Well I play golf with an ex scotland legendary keeper Hamish MacCalpine and because he was an 80's legend he still holds down a full time job to make a living!!!
Old 24 November 2007, 07:45 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

dont win dont get paid,
and after training 3-4 hours a day charitable appearances and work,
i would love to finish at 1pm and have notthing to do but i feel sure i would get bored
Old 24 November 2007, 07:48 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

a certain ex man u player in laws live a few doors from me when house prices were around alot cheaper his car was worth more than his father in laws house, simply riddiculous
Old 25 November 2007, 11:16 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

My Cousin who played for West Ham and England in the late seventies right up to 1986, I remember when they beat Arsenal in th 1980 FA Cup final, their winning bonus was £10,000 a man, He was on at it's highest £2,000 a week plus bouneses, he now manager's a non leauge side and still plays games at Upton Park as West Ham Old boys, he has a great life but his wife works full time she has her own catering buissness but in the height of his West ham life I was so jealous, but then I can't kick a ball for toffee and I can honestly say fame did not change him, he got to meet his Idol (Diana Ross) through his good friend Frank Bruno and I'm proud to say he is my cousin, but he always said what kind of money he could have earn't today if he was playing.
Cheers
Colin
Old 25 November 2007, 10:46 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Do you people moan how much these city workers get in bonuses? Fact is pretty much any man of able body can run and kick a bag of wind around so there is nothing stopping you if you are in that category from going out and earning the same as these men. Just for info David Beckham when at Manchester United completed the bleep test at level 20. I would put money on nobody on here could do that. If anybody could then they still have to master the ability to control a football fired at them with pace using their foot. Unless you play the game week in week out your opinion on this matter is totally void. FACT

Last edited by STi wanna Subaru; 25 November 2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 25 November 2007, 10:48 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Unless you play the game week in week out your opinion on this matter s totally void. FACT
You don't need to be a politician to be qualified to comment on their performance.

Likewise footballers. Next time consider your argument more carefully.

FACT
Old 25 November 2007, 10:56 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
You don't need to be a politician to be qualified to comment on their performance.

Likewise footballers. Next time consider your argument more carefully.

FACT
Too easy. Thought you'd see through that last comment and not bite

commenting on performance has no bearing on what they earn. I think you need to engage your brain before you post next time
Old 25 November 2007, 11:01 PM
NACRO
BANNED

You edited your post to change it's meaning, next time engage brain before you post next time.
Old 25 November 2007, 11:17 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

The only edit was to correct one spelling mistake. No getting away from the fact you chomped hard like a bitch x
Old 25 November 2007, 11:29 PM
NACRO
BANNED

The only edit was to correct one spelling mistake. No getting away from the fact you chomped hard like a bitch x
Really? I thought you'd retrospectively changed the entire meaning of your post and are now saying that to cover up the fact your entire argument is bankrupt.

I guess we'll just have to beg to differ as there's no evidence either way.
Old 25 November 2007, 11:32 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Keep biting. It's not deflecting the fact you clearly saw the bate and took it in with the glee of a small child opening their gifts on Christmas morning. Feel free to infract me for trolling honey x
Old 25 November 2007, 11:33 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Keep biting. It's not deflecting the fact you clearly saw the bate and took it in with the glee of a small child opening their gifts on Christmas morning. Feel free to infract me for trolling honey x
Bate??? I certainly wouldn't dream of infracting you for anything. It seems to me as if you are reading something into this that doesn't exist/only exists for you.