Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sony STR-DB1070 Receiver Amp

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2002, 06:44 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone on here have one of these? Am looking at purchasing one relatively soon and would like to get a few other peoples views on it... good or bad???

Also, bearing in mind that I'm on a budget of around £500 for it, is there anything else that you'd recommend in place of it??? The chances are that it will be partnered up with a Sony DVPS735 DVD/CD player and a Sony MDSJB940 MD deck (always been a bit of a Sony fan.... )

Thanks in advance,

Kelvin
Old 13 January 2002, 07:58 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

What speakers do you plan to use with it?
I spent ages choosing with AV setup to go with, auditioned a handfull, eventually went with a Denon 2801 and the KEF KHT2005 speakers. Mine sounds awesome

I always found the local Hi-Fi shops round my way are very anti Sony Hi-Fi for some reason, can't say I've ever had a problem myself though.

Best to get yourself down to a decent shop and have a listen, or better still, get them to lend you one so you can take it home and listen to in your home on your gear

Cheers

John

[Edited by mega_stream - 1/13/2002 8:02:41 AM]
Old 13 January 2002, 08:58 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Smile

This is the thinking so far...

Main System as above (Just Receiver/DVD/MD)
Probably a pair of Mission M73 floor standers as front l & r
Sony Pascal Rears
Sony Pascal Sub
Undecided on Centre front/rear yet (it's a 6.1 amp)

The other option is the full Sony Pascal Speaker kit but to be honest I'm completely undecided at the moment. Definitely worth a look down the road for a bit of a look and a play methinks

Thanks for the prompt response.

Kelvin
Old 13 January 2002, 11:17 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Have the STRDB940 same as the 1070 but only 5.1
I've got Mission 773e fronts, 77c1 centre, 771e rears and I love it. The remote that comes with the amp isn't great - it makes a reasonable stab at controlling everything but has one or two annoying features.

Don't skimp on the front centre for AV, it carries all the dialogue and needs to sit either above or below the TV so needs to be well shielded. With the lack of 6.1 encoded material available I would probably hold fire on the centre rear for a while.

Considering changing the DVPS536 dvd for the new NS900VS which I think is replacing the DVPS735 but does SACD aswell. Also spotted the matching Sony video the other day, and the current one is on its last legs... Decision decisions

Deano
Old 13 January 2002, 12:57 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Just budget another 150 in for the pronto then :-) Remote problems solved ( and a whole new world of tinkering awaits )

SteveM
Old 13 January 2002, 01:39 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Wink

I wasn't going to mention the Pronto - but OK The amp "remote commander" only lasted a couple of weeks before it was replced with a pronto
Old 13 January 2002, 09:19 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Everyone has given the 1070 good reviews apart from Home Cinema Choice who slated it for being tinny.

I have a 940 with Mission 734i fronts, 70C2 centre and 701 rears. Tis is my fifth Home Cinema amp and I'm still impressed with it.

I would audition one first before buying. Would also look round for deals on the latest Denon stuff.

May be worth having a look at HCC Forums

Edited because I came across this link.

Sony 1070 thread

Cheers
Lee

[Edited by logiclee - 1/13/2002 9:25:54 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 10:02 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks a lot for the replies guys...

I'd actually thought about the remote side of things too (see my post about the Pronto remote a couple of weeks back).... looks like that's now going to be added to the list too Saying that, I will see what the supplied remote is like first - as far as I understood it came with a different remote to the other receivers so I'll see.

Just read the thread re the 1070 which was highlighted above which was quite interesting reading if a little controversial at points! Does anybody on here actually own one of these amps that would like to comment??

Kelvin
Old 14 January 2002, 10:19 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Kelvin,

The only thing you can do with these amps is to audition them. If you can find a good a/v shop, they'll hook up the amp & a comparable one to a set of your speakers & a dvd player/ tv so you can have a proper listen with a few discs. It can and should take a while to do.

If you can possibly drop in and arrange it in advance, they'll thank you for it - also try and do the audition midweek.

Steve

Old 14 January 2002, 10:56 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Kelvin,
Your speakers need to be reasonably well matched - the Sony pascal stuff is nowhere near the Missions and will sound dreadful.
Al
Old 14 January 2002, 02:49 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

make sure you have a listen to the denon avr1802. i just bought one and put it with mordaunt short 903s and 905 at the front and boston accoustincs vrs micro at the rear and the sound is awesome.

dave
Old 14 January 2002, 03:34 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Have a look here for reviews

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/

Myself i'd go with Denon.Also Sony Pascals,are those the little trendy looking things.Not too sure about them.I listened to some Energy Take 5 speakers a while ago.Sounded great and always get top reviews.
Approx £500 from Sevenoaks HI-FI for the whole package.
Old 14 January 2002, 03:44 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

LOL the choices are endless.

I finally bought my audio set up last week.

Yamaha RX-V800RDS http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/yamaha...rx-v800rds.asp

and Mission FS2AV speakers http://www.mission.co.uk/fs2.htm

The sound is incredible.

I looked for the speakers for five reasons, 1) They sounded great in the shop 2) Their size and style 3) They are grey which matches the TV 4) They come with beautiful stands 5) they get 5 gold stars in What Hifi.

I also looked at the KEF 2005's but the budget would quite stretch to them (they were my first choice).

I also looked at Sony Pascals (all of my stuff is Sony - except the new amp) but they were universally slaughtered for their performance. Shame, the styling is fab.

The Yamaha amp was on the recommendation of a friend who works in a HiFi shop. It has more inputs than Tele House and goes very loud with perfect sound.

The difference between sound fields is amazing for TV/DVD but just wait until you put your favourite CD into the DVD player

I bought the stuff at Hi Spek www.hispek.co.uk who were very competitive.