Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

PC gone mad again - The Red Arrows @ 2012

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2007, 06:18 PM
nd17
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC gone mad again - The Red Arrows @ 2012

Hello all, received this today, dont think its been posted already but thought it might be of interest.....

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".

Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be "offensive" to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team "too militaristically British". Red Arrows pilots were said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being "too British" is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails

If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on the link below

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012
Old 29 September 2007, 06:48 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nd17
Hello all, received this today, dont think its been posted already
Old 29 September 2007, 08:03 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stuff London 2012, the Red Arrows were flying over Tyneside today, and will be again tomorrow.
Old 29 September 2007, 09:52 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Is it just me that thinks that maybe there is a point of not calling on a demonstration of military expertise is appropriate at a non-politicised international event.

Just a thought!
Old 30 September 2007, 12:24 AM
Sauron
Scooby Regular

Default Olympics 2012

Total waste of time effort and money as far as I am concerned.
It's the usual case of the rich bar-stewards getting richer check out this link 2012 SALARY TOPS £3M: Sporting Life | London 2012 Olympic Games. Latest News, Audio Interviews & More

Perhaps the Red Arrows should change to Jaguars and accidently drop a little present off at the headquarters of the Olympic committee.
Old 30 September 2007, 12:29 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Hey - If the British military hadn't appeared in Derry in 1971 everyone could have saved a few million!!
Old 30 September 2007, 12:58 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Hey - If the British military hadn't appeared in Derry in 1971 everyone could have saved a few million!!
A biased opinion fb ?
Old 30 September 2007, 01:19 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

It's a total load of bollox pardon my French. If the Olympics held in New Zealand would anybody object to the Haka being performed at the opening ceremony. Madness total madness!!
Old 30 September 2007, 10:08 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".
...so i expect that they won't want the police to patrol the event, after all, they are "too British", and public transport won't be used because the London bus is "too British" and neither will people take trains because they were invented by the British. Nobody will be allowed to fly there, because the jet engine is "too British". Then there are telephones, flushing toilets, tarmac roads, computers for the results system, fire extinguishers, electric lighting, portland cement, pneumatic tyres, etc. - all invented by Brits, and thus are obviously not suitable for inclusion is any shape or form in these "cannot offend anyone" games.

I hope that we don't try to win any of the events either, at risk of upsetting some less worthy team

mb
Old 30 September 2007, 10:22 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all, received this today, dont think its been posted already but thought it might be of interest.....

It has, and it wasn't true first time either. Do you believe everything someone e-mails you? If so, I've got this US$21 million in this account that I need to move...

M
Old 30 September 2007, 10:36 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

How STUPID can people be???

This is NOT TRUE.....its made up nonsense.

"Hello all, received this today" Translated....baaaaa baaaaaaa
Old 30 September 2007, 11:09 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by boomer
...so i expect that they won't want the police to patrol the event, after all, they are "too British", and public transport won't be used because the London bus is "too British" and neither will people take trains because they were invented by the British. Nobody will be allowed to fly there, because the jet engine is "too British". Then there are telephones, flushing toilets, tarmac roads, computers for the results system, fire extinguishers, electric lighting, portland cement, pneumatic tyres, etc. - all invented by Brits, and thus are obviously not suitable for inclusion is any shape or form in these "cannot offend anyone" games.

I hope that we don't try to win any of the events either, at risk of upsetting some less worthy team

mb
Well said sir!
Old 30 September 2007, 12:40 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

The Sun

...but the "official word" from The Government is...
Originally Posted by the Government's response
The e-petition asking the Prime Minister to "to Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics" is ongoing. This is a response in advance of the closing date from the Government.

It is not true to suggest that the Government has banned the Red Arrows from celebrations to mark the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The organising committee of London 2012 will decide what to include in the celebrations - but with five years to go, decisions are yet to be made on what the celebrations will look like, although you can be assured that they will be a spectacular showcase of Britain's best.
But i still don't trust 'em!

mb
Old 30 September 2007, 01:46 PM
nd17
Scooby Regular

Meridian - 'It has, and it wasn't true first time either. Do you believe everything someone e-mails you? If so, I've got this US$21 million in this account that I need to move...'

Maybe its true, maybe its not like I say its just there for interest, feel free to transfer me the $21 mil , I only want it if it comes from a Nigerian bank account though
Old 30 September 2007, 02:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Is it just me that thinks that maybe there is a point of not calling on a demonstration of military expertise is appropriate at a non-politicised international event.

Just a thought!
I must say that I find it difficult to believe that even you can make a grossly lefty biased post like this one.

The Red Arrows do not demonstrate anything at all to do with military expertise. What they actually do is to put on a superlative show of flying skill and teamwork which is of great interest and enjoyment for all who see their display. They are arguably the best formation display team in the world and do so much to promote this country in the eyes of the rest of the world.

I do realise that words such "teamwork" and cooperation etc. only have their place in the pink dictionary for use to impress us all but could never be actually used to describe what actually happens in those organisations, and when it is shown by a team such as the Arrows, it would of course be anaethema to our wonderful leaders and their creepy followers!

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 30 September 2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 30 September 2007, 02:55 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

fooken red arrows have been flying over my pad today, make them stop they are interrupting my xbox gaming session
Old 30 September 2007, 03:49 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

LOL @ "banned" If theyre not on the agenda then fine, but "banned"
Sounds like a silly chain email to me... Some excercise to gather as many names on a blag petition or something...
Quite sad really as it would stir th emotions of the hanky on head tatooed brigade.
Old 30 September 2007, 08:40 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Quite sad really as it would stir th emotions of the hanky on head tatooed brigade.
What do you mean, "would"? Haven't you read the rest of the thread?
Old 01 October 2007, 08:38 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
How STUPID can people be???

This is NOT TRUE.....its made up nonsense.

"Hello all, received this today" Translated....baaaaa baaaaaaa

Perhaps you would like to tell us more and why you believe it to be nonsense.

The 3 national newspapers that i personally read reporting this subject are odviously mistaken.
Old 01 October 2007, 08:41 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Ranoch do you believe the Red Bull Air Ace to be a show of military strength too ?
Old 02 October 2007, 12:17 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by finchyboy
Perhaps you would like to tell us more and why you believe it to be nonsense.

The 3 national newspapers that i personally read reporting this subject are odviously mistaken.

One of the "papers" you mention is the Sun. That pretty much answers your point - they wouldn't know the truth if it bit them. Out of interest, what were the other two? The Express and Mail?

M