Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hurricane crashed at Shoreham

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2007, 09:23 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurricane crashed at Shoreham

What a damn shame one less of these beautiful aircraft and the loss of the pilot.

| News | This is London
Old 16 September 2007, 10:09 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Very sorry to hear about this, especially for loss of life. Shoreham is quite close to us as it happens.

There are so few Hurricanes left now so a bit of history has gone and it looks very badly damaged. Having said that I was at Brooklands museum some while back and they had a couple of skip loads of twisted metal which were a crashed Hurricane brought back from Russia which they were going to restore to some extent.

I know they have to go through the strict and standard stuff for airworthiness but I just wonder if they take slightly too much risk at these shows? They are 65 - 70 years old after all. Very sad. dl
Old 16 September 2007, 10:15 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I was lucky enough to sit in one once at Duxford where it was being restored, i prefer it to the Spitfire, it may not be as photogenic, more rugged and tough.
Old 16 September 2007, 03:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very sorry to hear of this crash and the death of the pilot. As has been mentioned, there are not many Hurricanes left and it was an enormous part of the victory in WW2.

Les
Old 16 September 2007, 03:42 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

I live at the back of the airport and the planes have been flying over all the time since friday. Absolutley love the sound and it is such a shame for this to have happened. Nice to see the display carry on in the lost man formation, and them continuing today (no doubt in the pilots honour)

Did worry about the house for a bit when they first mentioned this on the radio.
Old 16 September 2007, 05:01 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Just down the road from me

Not less than 2 weeks a ago we were treated to some superb displays of flying by Spitfires and other associated WW2 legends at Goodwood, and now this.

Its been a black weekend for air crashes, Colin McRae's helicopter, the hurricane at Shoreham, and the plane crash at Phucket

Mart
Old 16 September 2007, 07:58 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A real shame.
Old 16 September 2007, 07:59 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

playing golf on friday at crowborough beacon and saw 2 planes flying overhead, me and my dad couldn't decide if it was 2 spitfires or a hurricane and spitfire. lovely sound
either way he said they were probably going to shoreham airshow, gutted i didn't have my camera out, if it was the same plane seems sad i witnessed one of it's last flights
Old 16 September 2007, 10:03 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
What a damn shame one less of these beautiful aircraft and the loss of the pilot.

Shouldn't that be the other way around?
Old 16 September 2007, 10:31 PM
B-B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
I tend to agree with you UB that the sadness seems to be coming more for the loss of the aircraft than loss of the pilot. Sad.
Old 17 September 2007, 09:17 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by unclebuck

Not sure what you mean, do i care more for the a/c than the pilot, no not really - loss of life is really bad news. Loss of the Hurricane is also sad. i recounted one fond memory of a Hurricane, never met the pilot so not much to say other than it is a tragedy.

Maybe 2+2=4 not 5 in this case

Last edited by The Zohan; 17 September 2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 17 September 2007, 09:17 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

I live near by, well over in Rustington and they were flying over the sea front. Love the old WW2 planes, the noise and grace of them flying. It was a lovely clear day on Saturday aswell, so the planes were low and lovely to watch.

I used to work at Ricardo's, at Shoreham airport, where they were rebuilding the old spitfire engines, and the Lancaster ones too. Although in the IT dept, a director friend used to let me go over to the engine shops and start up these huge engines. The nosie !!!!! :-) You used to rev them by a lever and you coulnt help but give it somes welly !

I hate hearing of planes crashing, especially old ones, and worst at air shows, as the number of stunt pilots is decreasing, as are the number of old planes.

Seems like its been a bad weekend for crashes, ww2 planes, helicoters, and that commercial one in Phuket !

:-(

SBK
Old 17 September 2007, 12:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As a former display pilot for a good few years, I am of course very sorry for he pilot's death as well the loss of a very special aircraft.

I saw him at the Goodwood Revival in formation with the BBMF and there was a Hurricane parked at Westhampnett Aero Club. I dont know if it was the same one.

Les