Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lord of the rings a book fanatics opinion

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2001, 09:08 AM
Little Miss WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

This is entirely my opinion.

I am a major fan of the book having read it till I basically know it through and through.......yeah, yeah I know I am an anorak BUT it does make helluva difference as to whether or not you will enjoy it. (and of course whether you are into this kinda film, blah, blah )

Still, I went into the film with lots of expectations - well who wouldn't? The film has received huge hype and all that......

As far as following the book, it does it fairly well, but meanders like a drunken person would after a few too many drinks.......I felt that to many minor details were ignored or deliberately changed to either give non-readers of the book a better idea of what went on or because the director/prducer didn't fancy keeping to the book as closely as one would expect them to

The casting? Superb, all characters were brought to life beautifully, each actor perfect for their chosen role.

If you separate the book from the film - it was breathtaking, awesome, spectacular......truly a classic. Unfortunately it was marred by the usual dramatic film music at weepy bits or victorious parts which really ruined the scenes.

The best bit - the Mines of Moria, that was done to perfection.........the worst scene? Definitely Flight to the Ford - how could they change the unfolding of the chapter? Scandalous! What should have been one of the best scenes was turned nothing more than into a car chase except with horses.

The special effects were magical, the world of middle earth was right there!!! It was lovely to see how well my imagination through Tolkein's writings matched the way middle Earth was brought to life on the film.

Overall the film was amazing, spell binding, magical, well made, superb etc, etc, but as a fan I was bitterly disappointed at the changes and cuts that were made

Go see for yourselves, whatever your reaction to the film, it will be a strong one as this is definitely a very powerful film.

With regards to doing Tolkein's writings justice? Just dosn't do it........sorry.

Michelle
Old 29 December 2001, 09:18 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

hmmmm, i think they may need some rewrites to the next one then
Chelle you should be on their preview board, these people can demand changes, get'em to do it properly...
Old 29 December 2001, 09:26 AM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

Have you got an Url?

Trouble is I would really rip into the film, overall I walked away feeling like the book had just been thought of as nothing more than something to rival Harry Potter..........that is not something you should do to an author who's writing stabds out as one of the best of in the world.
Old 29 December 2001, 09:37 AM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

hmmmm, i think they may need some rewrites to the next one then
What do you mean rewrites? They re-wrote the book effectively I am glad they put *based on the novel..........* at the end before the credits rolled - though it should have been *loosely bsed.....*
Old 29 December 2001, 09:42 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

i know, it was a pretty good attempt tho. You have to remember its all for the *flak jacket on* american market & most of them wouldnt of remembered or even know every slight detail of the book. I have been to a few of these screenings & the original cut IMO have been a damn sight better until "they" requested some typical american cuts & rewrites.*flak jacket off*
Its a real shame...

And as for Harry Potter, well...
Old 29 December 2001, 09:47 AM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs down

Yeah I know and they sacrificed for the book for the sake of making some money

One of the greatest writings in history and it is torn apart and massacred

On a film level I enjoyed the film and because I knew the story I got really into, but at times I wanted to shout out NO THAT ISN'T RIGHT!!!!

Gnadalf's exile and battle with his superior was told as a story at Rivendell, if they had concentrated more on FOLLOWING the book instead of making it up themselves then maybe a lot of footage wouldn't have been cut.........Tom Bombadil and the Barrow-Downs for a START!!!

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 29 December 2001, 09:57 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

It's a sad fact that films nowadays come with action figures etc etc

I've always wondered why the Aliens series of films, being 18 rated had a whole load of aliens figures, T shirts and lunch boxes when the kids they were aimed at were'nt even old enough to see the film?

LOTR and to some extent Harry potter have meticulously crafted worlds, and to sell out that ideal seems to me, to be more of a shame than understandble cuts from a movie.

I wonder what's next? The new adventures of the lord of the rings cartoon series?

Ring-a-mon Where the fellowship must catch and train various small creatures(trading cards sold seperately) in order to defeat the evil Team Sauron.

Balrog, Smash attack NOW

Trending Topics

Old 29 December 2001, 10:00 AM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

Hmmm deja-vu there Neil
Old 29 December 2001, 10:02 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Saying of the day, "Never let Deja Vu stop post count increases "
Old 29 December 2001, 10:04 AM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

Just a crafty double post
Old 29 December 2001, 10:06 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

That's me Your problem being??
Old 29 December 2001, 10:10 AM
Little Miss WRX

Did I say I had a problem???

Stop muppetising my thread its a serious review
Old 29 December 2001, 10:12 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

I have made my views to the BBFC & F4 on cuts & im working on it. F4 are pretty good cos as they say theyre "fanactical about film". Im more into independent films, not to keen on big studio productions, all too commersialised, they dont care about movies just $$$
Old 29 December 2001, 04:36 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

interesting comments 'chelle

i am hoping to see it next weekend.

i know some bits will make me mad but at the end of the day its aimed at a different or should i say much wider audience than those of us who are well into Tolkien and have read the books several times over.

an 8 hour film would not appeal to many people even if it made us happy cos they didnt leave bits out or alter things etc

and ofcourse its gotta make money so it has to appeal to a wide audience.....if it dont there wont be another film ! or it will be a disappointment cos they dont spend enough on making it !!

i dont know anyone yet whose been disappointed in it..........mad tolkien fans or ordinary people who never read it.

looking forward to it.....it was never going to be fully able to do justice to Tolkiens writing.......but wot film of a (great) book ever does ?

steve

[Edited by Steve Perriam - 12/29/2001 4:38:36 PM]
Old 29 December 2001, 04:40 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

more money doesnt neccesarily make it a better film

Shall i make a list...

no i dont think i will, it'll take too long
Old 29 December 2001, 04:42 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Red face

no but a lack of it can seriously hamper the making of a good film.
Old 29 December 2001, 04:46 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

some very good films have been made for ahellva lot less. it all goes on sfx. A$$ kicking sfx & no plot makes for 1 sh1te film imo

shall i get me coat?

[Edited by InvisibleMan - 12/29/2001 4:47:37 PM]
Old 29 December 2001, 06:39 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Don't know whether you know but the film was going to be 3hrs 40mins long, but ended up being cut to 2hrs 45mins.

Perhaps there will a Directors Cut of LOTR when it comes out on DVD as per happens with most films these days
Old 29 December 2001, 06:52 PM
Little Miss WRX

Smile

Well, there had better be!

I am glad I watched, it confirmed what my initial feelings were about the film.

In terms of being a film for the general public - as long as oyu can sit through it then fine, but in terms of being a film for Tolkien fans, except to be disappointed at the ommissions and alterations.
Old 30 December 2001, 04:10 AM
shrieden
Scooby Regular

I dont like the way that Saruman was made out to be a lackey of Sauron from the start, I felt from the books that he believed he was creating the army to ascend him to power, but the movie just portrays him as being devote to Sauron, but overall for a book to film adaption, I think it is one of the best yet.
Old 30 December 2001, 05:17 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I wonder what's next? The new adventures of the lord of the rings cartoon series
Nah It's working title is Lord of The Onion Rings and I believe the lead character will be the Burger King