Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Los Angeles - Anyone been??

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2007, 02:40 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Los Angeles - Anyone been??

Heading to LA, anyone like to offer some advice on good things to see, do, go, eat etc etc etc

cheers

darren
Old 06 June 2007, 02:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

In and Out burger and giving clothes to crack heads on 4th street or in Hollywood.

If you're prepared to leave LA then I'd suggest a drive to Ocotillo Wells and hiring a quad for a few days, 80,000 acres to play in for free.
Old 06 June 2007, 02:54 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Visited about 10 years ago. Some of the sea-front restaurants down Laguna Beach are fantastic - "The Rusty Pelican" and "Joe's Crab Shack" stick in my mind.

I found the Hollywood area pretty seedy and run-down. Universal Studios is a must and be sure to take ID with you at all times as they were very hot on selling you alcohol.
Old 06 June 2007, 03:01 PM
ste300
Scooby Regular

Hi there, ive spent quite a while in Southern Cali, what i would suggest is that LA is so big (geographically) that you must plan where and what you want to see. I would say most definatley do the sunset strip, venice, santa monica and hollywood. But in my opinion LA isnt all its made up to be, where as San Diego is, smog free beachs, real history (its the oldest town in Cali) and way for picturesque. Plus you can do ay trips to LA easily as well as Mexico being literally in view. If you need andy more specific advice be glad t help.
Steve
Old 06 June 2007, 03:03 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

cheers for that, ill find out where we are supposed to be staying and get back to you on that.
Old 06 June 2007, 03:04 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I went over 10 years ago, and one place I would strongly recommend is Universal Studios. It's probably got many more new rides than when I went as well (Jurassic Park was the newest ride then and was jsut about to open).

Venice beach was also quite interesting. Look out for the guy who juggles a chainsaw, bowling ball and an egg (if he still has all his limbs that is.)

The street with all the stars in the pavements (around the Chinese cinema) was a disappointment, largely due to the place being a run down part of LA. Not very glamourous.

Rodeo drive was worth a drive past.

It's worth visiting the Hollywood sign as well, just so every time you see it in a film etc, you know you've been there.

Buy a road map and be careful with Sunset Boulevard - in splits into 2 and runs parallel then each road goes a different way and one suddenly becomes a different road. One way nice, one way not so nice...

I would avoid Downtown at all costs. My mate was driving and got lost (see above), and refused to stop for a map or ask directions. We ended up seeing a van full of bandana wearing gang members who eyed us up then turned around to come back towards us. I then insisted, rather robustly, that we **** off rapidly then stop at a petrol station and buy a map.

Also avoid Planet Hollywood, in Hollywood. The worst service I've ever recieved in any food place, ever. Even if it's completely different now (in terms of staff and management), it was so bad they deserve to go bust.

Photo ID is handy if you want to go for a drink and don't want to take your passport.

Lastly, might be worth taking a Spanish phrase book with you. In the hotel I stayed in on Venice Beach, the only person in the whole place who spoke any English was the manageress. Ordering breakfast was interesting. You could end up getting served something completely different to what you ordered. The Mexican border seems to be be unofficially moving northwards.

Last edited by Jerome; 06 June 2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06 June 2007, 03:08 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

...and if you're really stuck to eat there's always Dennys
Old 06 June 2007, 03:12 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ste300
Hi there, ive spent quite a while in Southern Cali, what i would suggest is that LA is so big (geographically) that you must plan where and what you want to see. I would say most definatley do the sunset strip, venice, santa monica and hollywood. But in my opinion LA isnt all its made up to be, where as San Diego is, smog free beachs, real history (its the oldest town in Cali) and way for picturesque. Plus you can do ay trips to LA easily as well as Mexico being literally in view. If you need andy more specific advice be glad t help.
Steve
Agree, last time i went was some 10 years ago, we stayed in Huntigdon Beach half way (approx) between LA and San Diego and spent most of the timne in San Diego
Old 06 June 2007, 03:13 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Can't believe I didn't mention Hooters!

Well worth a visit (after you've eaten in Dennys).
Old 06 June 2007, 07:21 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Santa Monica is very nice, LA less so IMO - it's also worth taking a drive North, up the Pacific Coast Highway.
Old 06 June 2007, 08:53 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Did most of California on our Honeymoon in November, but we missed out LA as Jo said it wasn't safe for tourest to be driving around as we didn't know there area.

we started at San Fancisco (4days) then drove to Monterey, stayed at Carmel, Cambria, Santa Barabra (very nice there) then San Dieago for two night before heading to Las Vegas for 5nights liked it there

salsachatta/honeymoon pix - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
some pix there.

if you can get a car go to HEARST CASTLE its like nothing you can ever imagine... Welcome to Hearst Castle
well you can as it's in the USA lol
Old 06 June 2007, 08:56 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Six Flags Magic Mountain is definitely worth a visit, and I'd agree with a previous comment that Universal Studios is too.

Have to agree with Daryl about Santa Monica too.. and although Hollywood, the Chinese Theatre, Walk of Stars is a seedy dump I suppose if you've never been it's worth 30 minutes to take a few snaps!
Old 07 June 2007, 12:20 AM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
Did most of California on our Honeymoon in November, but we missed out LA as Jo said it wasn't safe for tourest to be driving around as we didn't know there area.

we started at San Fancisco (4days) then drove to Monterey, stayed at Carmel, Cambria, Santa Barabra (very nice there) then San Dieago for two night before heading to Las Vegas for 5nights liked it there

salsachatta/honeymoon pix - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
some pix there.

if you can get a car go to HEARST CASTLE its like nothing you can ever imagine... Welcome to Hearst Castle
well you can as it's in the USA lol
Agree Santa Barbara very nice. I would just stick to the coast. Ideally drive from San Fran all the way down to San Diego. The Pacific Highway is one of the greatest roads going. Just get a decent car though, if it's American it may not go around the cliff bends !
Old 07 June 2007, 12:35 AM
Onan The Barbarian
Scooby Regular

Only to the airport

Saw two lesbians snogging

And a policeman with a pistol

Food wasn't much cop like
Old 07 June 2007, 01:01 AM
White-Un
Scooby Regular

Good idea to plan ahead there is an endless list of things to do, I lived there for nearly six months an I there still a few places i wished I'd gone to.

Six flags magic mountain, Disneyland, Universal studios, Knotts berry farm I can recommend highly ! few nice beaches laguna, malibu, venice beach is good to visit for performers. see a few sights down there ! santa monica is real nice to lot of british people there.

Lots of places to eat Cheesecake factory, sizzlers, jerrys, panda express, in and out, el pollo loco, jack in the box, dennys, del taco, taco bell, just to name a few

Def recommend you hire good car, agree with the lads on here that pacifc coast highway is a good road to drive down,

Try stay away from downtown areas, south central areas at night .

Your'll love it mate
Old 07 June 2007, 01:05 AM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Watch 'The Shield' if you want to know what LA is really like.

Stay away from anywhere south/central - always take the Freeway and don't go into any areas you aren't sure are safe.

I heard gunshots whilst at some traffic lights near the airport and I saw a gang-related fight actually inside Universal Studios. Luckily, security was there to sort it out.

At Venice beach, don't go more than one block away from the beach.

There are some nice bits - the observatory/park, the Hollywood hills, Santa Monica, Long Beach. Downtown is worth avoiding.

You'll enjoy the surrounding area more I think.

Hope this helps.
Old 07 June 2007, 12:45 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Would agree with most of the above (I don't DO themeparks), whenever I've been to LA it's been good to go and see it, but the better bits are away from LA. It's worth seeing all be famous bits once, just to so you can say been there done that, but I found the Chineese Theatre a complete waste of time.

We're off on our holidays there this year, we fly into San Fran and drive to LA via Monterray, Santa Barbra and Ventura Beach.

Paul - any tips for Huntingdon - we're staying there for our last night
Old 10 June 2007, 10:57 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

The Warner Brothers VIP Studio Tour is well worth doing, and shows a working movie/tv studio, unlike the universal backlot tour which is more theme park. They do a normal and a deluxe 5 hour one including lunch, and show you different sound stages, workshops, props, sound recording stuff, we saw the beginnings of the oceans 13 set, norbit town centre where back to the future was also set, the current ER, cold case, invasion,studio 60 sets, recording sound for lost, and everwood, and the old friends set.
Well worth it for something non theme park style. Be aware that they will take cameras off you for a lot of the sets. Warner Bros. VIP Studio Tour - Official Site

Let us know where abouts you are staying as the los angeles area is huge, we did 800 miles in 8 days just in the la area.
Old 10 June 2007, 11:00 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king

You'll see more guns in Nottingham than a short trip to la.
Old 10 June 2007, 11:03 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Be warned it's full of mad people (yes even madder than scousers)
Old 10 June 2007, 11:10 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Onan The Barbarian
Only to the airport

LAX is a terrible airport....

If you have the time then get a flight out to Las Vegas, only 50 min or so flying time and well worth the trip.
Old 10 June 2007, 11:24 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

cheers for that folks, kinda wondering whould i be going now, lol

ah well, cant wait, leave belfast at 5:30 in the morning, then flight out of london tomorrow afternoon.

cant wait
Old 11 June 2007, 02:19 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Take a breathing mask - SMOG
Old 11 June 2007, 03:30 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Onan The Barbarian
Only to the airport

I stopped changed at LAX a few months back.

I saw a 6'6" transexual with the physique of a Quarterback (made me think of John Lithgow in "Garp"),

A stunning **** star wearing a belt for a skirt, carrying flowers and champagne,

and a young "gangbanger" driving the terminal bus telling people to "read the mother****ing sign!!!" when passengers asked him a question!
Old 11 June 2007, 03:33 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dmc1980
cheers for that folks, kinda wondering whould i be going now, lol

ah well, cant wait, leave belfast at 5:30 in the morning, then flight out of london tomorrow afternoon.

cant wait
If you are planning to hire a car, opt for the SatNav! I live in Houston, and I couldn't get by without GPS, LA looks the same to me, a huge maze! And it may help you avoid driving through gang terrirtory!
Old 11 June 2007, 03:44 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Of all the US airports I've been through, LAX has the best duty free section by a mile!
Old 11 June 2007, 04:07 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido
LAX is a terrible airport....

If you have the time then get a flight out to Las Vegas, only 50 min or so flying time and well worth the trip.
Oh Yes LAX is the most dismal boring uninviting and uncomfortable airport to spend time in out of all the places i have travelled and i have flown Easyjet!
Old 11 June 2007, 10:19 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Oh Yes LAX is the most dismal boring uninviting and uncomfortable airport to spend time in out of all the places i have travelled and i have flown Easyjet!
You've not been to JFK then...
Old 12 June 2007, 07:33 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

LA wasnt as good as i thought, as most people have said some areas are run down and seedy. I was surprised how run down hollywood was, the tour of beverley hills was good though.

Universal and Down Town Disney are good.

Overall i wasnt too impressed with LA, as many have said San Diego is much nicer and the beach is really nice and its so chilled out. Much fresher air too.

If you get the chance and go to San Diego go to Uno's for something to eat. It was lovely.