Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Yorkshire Relocation Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2001, 02:02 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Right guys....and gals (oh my God, sounds like Jimmy Saville)

Me, the honourable Mrs Straker and the two Strakerlets are relocating from sunny North Wales to West Yorkshire. Its a job thing. I will be in Halifax and the missus in Pudsey for HBOS.

We have been over a couple of times and are gradually finding some nice properties to look at upto about 200K. What I really need to know is which areas should I particularly go for and which I should really avoid. Currently focusing on the Haworth, Keighley, Bingley areas, mostly with rural aspects.

I need schools and child care near by as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Max
Old 19 December 2001, 02:07 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

try www.upmystreet.com looks at everything you want to know schools crime etc etc hope this helps im from york so i live in nice north yorkshire :P
Old 19 December 2001, 02:07 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I worked there for a year

Sounds like you really want rural, in which case stick to the side of Leeds that you're looking at otherwise the commute will be hellish. If you're thinking of maybe a bit more Leeds than anything else, you could think of Tranmere Park, Guiseley or Menston as these are fairly rural whilst being 12-15 miles from the centre.

Let us know if you're going to be visiting and we could meet up to show you the area. There's quite a few of us around, so...

Nick.
Old 19 December 2001, 02:10 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Myself and Barryk work for HBOS in Pudsey ! Will look out for Mrs Straker.

Location wise I'm not going to be much help here as I live over in Lancashire and dont really know too much of the surrounding area. Horsforth seems ok tho and is 5 mins drive from Pudsey.

(Barryk is also replying as I type, who will post first ? .....3....2....1 ! )

Edited to say : 4 mins ahead of you Bazza

[Edited by Norman D. Landing - 12/19/2001 2:19:02 PM]
Old 19 December 2001, 02:14 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Zoiks! I work in Pudsey for HBOS. So does Norman D Landing. He will reply under seperate cover.

I live in a village called Diggle, which is just on t'other side o' t' tops. Drive at the right time of day takes about 45 mins to an hour (Halifax slightly less), arrive for 08:00 leave at 15:55, unless there is anything pressing. Has it's own village school ( with before and after school club) and the local secondary school Saddleworth is approx 2 miles away. You can get ADSL and there is a bakery and a post office, oh and a newsagents too.

You might consider, Ripponden, Rishworth, Marsden, Slaithwaite, Outlane, Golcar, Barkisland, Greetland, Stainland. All small places on West of West Yorkshire with good schools and rural upbringing. Where are you in N Wales?

You both work for HBOS?

Old 19 December 2001, 02:14 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Rum* and I can vouch for Horsforth...
Old 19 December 2001, 02:27 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Wink

Relocating my ****!!!

We've kicked him out of North Wales for being a big fate scouse type chump.

Go On!! Naff Off!! And don't ever darken our caves again

blubs

ps We will miss him though

Trending Topics

Old 19 December 2001, 02:37 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Thankls for the replies guys, keep 'em coming.

We currently live in the charmingly named Mold and do both work for HBOS in Chester, although the missus was outsourced to the unmentionables (IBM)and is now coming back into HBOS.

We have looked at a few places to the west of Huddersfield but were put off by what looked like a nightmarish commute for her to Pudsey.....Copley didn't look too bad. there was a nice place in New Mill near Holmfirth, do you think this is a bit far?

And Blubs, I don't think West Yorkshire is quite far enough, I will still be within your pie eating radius. You are also now off the come and visit list........
Old 19 December 2001, 02:41 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

the really nice part of Leeds is of course where I live, which is Shadwell (v good primary school) but it would take 30mins+ to Pudsey.

Over this side of Leeds there are many nice villages to live in including Thorner, East Keswick, Bardsey, Colton etc.

cheers,

greg
Old 19 December 2001, 02:43 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Nah.

We work with people who travel in from Sheffield and Burnley. Holmfirth is a local commute and my wife has a colleague that live in New Mill and works in Manchester! It is apparently a nice place.

Like I say commuting is dependant on when you do it, and which roads you use (ie not the M62 in the morning).
Old 19 December 2001, 03:15 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Lee Bowyer's house might be on the market
Old 19 December 2001, 03:26 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lol @ Seejay555, I might even get his place cheap now he's unemployed!!!!
Old 19 December 2001, 03:50 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

BarryK and Norman D Landing,
Mr Straker will be easily identifiable by the fact that he is extremely offensive to the eye and does no work whatsoever.

In his relatively short tenure at Capital Bank, BoS and now HBOS, he has completed approximately 17 minutes of work, 11 of which were moving his desk from the second to the first floor.

In his defence though, you are assured of seeing some good filth on the internet if you attend any of his DR tests

His wife will be identified by her guide dog and concave stomach.

Geezer
Old 19 December 2001, 04:42 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Geezer,

Why didn't you just give them my real name!!!!!!!!!

Its all lies, no one saw me, you can't blame me.

17 minutes indeed, why, its taken me about 15 to write this. What other work is there??????
Old 20 December 2001, 10:21 AM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Geezer,

He'll fit in well here at HBOS then, 17 minutes ?!? my god, we class that as 15 mins overtime !!
Old 20 December 2001, 10:34 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hiya mate,

I used to stay in Shadwell area (noth east Leeds). Its fairly rural but close enough to town. It has excellent schools etc. House prices are quite steep but 200k should get something nice. I'd definitely go for the north east side, Roundhay even, as its the best bit.

Otherwise, further north Harrogate is really nice as well.
Old 20 December 2001, 06:00 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Wink

Maxwell,

If you haven't already heard, might be an idea to give Mixenden a wide-ish berth (but if you're in the 200K bracket you could buy a few streets there )

Allegedly, things tend to have a magnetic attraction to there when they go walkies around Halifax.

This is not a general slur on everybody in the area but there are some less desirable elements in the neighbourhood - IIRC it's had the nickname Beirut at times and I wouldn't go through at less than 30mph (difficult to get the wheel braces on at that speed).

Flame suit at the ready...
Old 20 December 2001, 06:11 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shadwell 200k nah... not enough to live there.. not a nice big house on wigton lane anyway.. could recommend oakwood, but Im biased!! east keswick and barwick are nice as mentioned.. but halifax would be a bit of a nightmare.. make the wife travel instead

David
Old 21 December 2001, 09:14 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Morning all..

Me and the Wife relocated from Slough to Wetherby 2 weeks ago....what a breath of fresh air....

I was also at the Copley Data Centre on Monday this week, granted it is probably a bit lighter traffic due to hols, but down the A1 and M62 it only took me about 45mins.

I can vouch for Wetherby, Harrogate, Knarerborough...there are also some nice villages just south of Selby, either side of the M62....but you are encroaching onto Doncaster area....which I don't believe is that good...

Hope this helps a bit...

Jamie
Old 21 December 2001, 10:53 AM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies fellas.......mostly this is confirming what I though.

Shadwell has been previously recommended to me but I think that suitable properties are out of my price range. Saw something in a place called Cudworth just North of Barnsley but have found out that they are building a bypass and that may be why the property was competitively priced. Anyone know anything about this?

I have a personal favourite property that I have seen in Cullingworth near Haworth, anyone know about this village. Does anyone commute into Leeds from the Bingley area, is it a nightmare in the morning?

Thanks again for the help, it seems that HBOS has its fair share of Scoobynetters
Old 21 December 2001, 11:22 AM
Bludax
Scooby Regular

Boston Spa is the ONLY place to be.

Erik
Old 21 December 2001, 11:30 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

[doh double post]

[Edited by gregh - 12/21/2001 11:34:56 AM]
Old 21 December 2001, 11:33 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

you can get a decent detached house in Shadwell for around 200k. In fact go here, enter your price range and LS17 postcode search area and there are a few there.

http://www.manningstainton.co.uk

Trouble is in Shadwell they sell quickly, we had ours on the market for a week and had an offer of asking price. We've since decided to stay and extend, cos couldn't find anything else in the immediate area.

Old 21 December 2001, 01:21 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Question

Ow about 'ebden Bridge? Me mam lives there and £200k should buy you summat resonanable.

There are some dead good roads round there - she commutes to Bratford (sic) in 35 mins via Oxenholme and some great Scoob roads.
Commute to Pudsey may be hell though - I've only driven to M and S on a Saturday and it seemed busy.

Hope you find somewhere you like.
Old 21 December 2001, 02:38 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

I commute at 07:00 to get to work for 08:00 and the drive is a breeze, not using the M62 the roads are excellent, twisty and empty.

I go home using the M62 at 15:55 or so and it takes me 45 mins.

AND you get to be in Lancashire!!!!
Old 22 December 2001, 08:30 AM
AndrewP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cullingworth is a nice little spot. Schools are good too supposedly if thats of use. I'm in Haworth which is great. Certainly Halifax is a dead easy (15min) commute. Pudsey would probably take 45mins at commuting time (20-25 at my unsocial hours)! Across the valley Bingley is nice, particularly East Morton/Gilstead/Eldwick area, plus with bypass opening in ~ 18months should get better. Anywhere round here your only half an hour from the dales, hour and a bit form the lakes. Driving roads par excellance goes without saying.
Welcome to god's own county!
Andrew