myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If true, I agree with miss*scoobygav555*
Old 03 May 2007, 08:25 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, if that's what really happened then they deserve the book throwing at them.
Old 03 May 2007, 08:26 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Accidents happen on any road, but these pair were really stupid to try and run, just makes them look guilty although we dont know the real story.

Feel sorry for the relatives and what could be a Gumball stopping incident.

Mac
Old 03 May 2007, 08:29 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

again if true, a complete pair of pr1cks
Old 03 May 2007, 08:37 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Sad to say it was only a matter of time.

I covered the gumball start, and some of the attitudes displayed then really put my back up. The SLR 772 left the start line sideways.

IMO I'd prefer to see the gumball or similar set up to the original Monty Carlo. I given an alloted time to turn up on, turn up early or late and you get time penalties.
Old 03 May 2007, 08:38 PM
DiddyWRX
Scooby Regular

Idiots if this is true, TOTAL *****!
Old 03 May 2007, 08:49 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Gumball statement is here Statement from Gumball HQ - accident May 2nd 2007 — Gumball 3000
Old 03 May 2007, 08:50 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Well, the Gumball's hardly a safety led event is it? Accidents were always likely. But hit and run, if this is true, is very low indeed. Big chaps in a flash car, but not big enough to face the music.

I can't imagine the families in Macedonia are very happy about it either. Imagine if an old English couple got hit by a speeding foreigner on a rally?
Old 03 May 2007, 08:56 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Great statement
For 9 years they've been driving like they are above the law and filming it (which i will admit i did enjoy watching) but now s**t happens and that's the best he can say.
Old 03 May 2007, 09:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I have been predicting this for a while now, I am surprised it has taken this long, bit of a no brainer really,

A load of people in very fast cars, acting daft, hungover, tired on unfamiliar roads in stange places driving too quickly with loads of peasants on Pony and trap things, kids playing etc who are not used to such fast traffic.

Perhaps now this conspicous and obnoxious event will be banned as it is too big and high profile, **** like this spoils performance cars for sensible owners.

The two in the Porsche are beneath contempt, kill someone and then run away like naughty little boys who have broke a window, and try and leave the country, speaks volumes about the type that the Gumball seems to attract, and the organisers tried to cover it up, f*cking self interested bunch of tossers, the parties over boys, time to grow up and face your responsibilities.
Old 03 May 2007, 09:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

There seem to be two 911's with a similar scheme (have a look here) Team 74 and 75 from the look of it, and I think it's the Team 74 car that was involved in the incident.

Accidents do happen, however, I think it might be a tad obvious that the Gumball is meant to be a bit of a mad event, so limits and talent are exceeded and can cause tragic outcomes, as may be witnessed here. If indeed they did cause an accident and ran away then they are very cowardly and foolish individuals and I hope they are punished to the full extent of the law.

As others have said, if they had nothing to hide, why run? (if they did that is).

It seems the Gumball forums are down at the moment, which no doubt has some relation to this incident.
Old 03 May 2007, 09:07 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

There were 2 911's in the same colur scheme

Old 03 May 2007, 09:19 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was first one though.

Old 03 May 2007, 09:40 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

As has been said it was only a matter of time until drivers were killed, or killed someone else. Its basically a race across poorer countries where the wealthy people involved can act above the law in many cases, and easily pay off cops for more minor incidents.

The spate of Gumball copies seem even more dangerous - some of the driving clips Ive seen of Scumball have been insane - undertaking on hardshoulder at about 130mph etc.
Old 03 May 2007, 10:34 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

pete where have you seen that? was it from this year?

j (we did the scumball)
Old 03 May 2007, 10:41 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Both drivers are extremely traumatised by this occurrence."
Thats probably cos they got caught, doesn't even mention the fact that the pair legged it from the scene.
Old 03 May 2007, 10:45 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Shame, idiots now ruined it.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:11 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Statement released now saying Gumball 2007 has been cancelled as of tonight...
Old 04 May 2007, 09:33 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Wasn't the driver Nick Moran, from Lock Stock?

Idiot.

R.
Old 04 May 2007, 09:44 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Nick Morley, not Nick Moran.
Old 04 May 2007, 11:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Longjing
Well, the Gumball's hardly a safety led event is it? Accidents were always likely. But hit and run, if this is true, is very low indeed. Big chaps in a flash car, but not big enough to face the music.

I can't imagine the families in Macedonia are very happy about it either. Imagine if an old English couple got hit by a speeding foreigner on a rally?
There is no place on public roads for any kind of event that increases risks to normal road users. How unfair is to the poor bloke who got killed because of the irresponsible behaviour of the two competitors in the Porche?

I imagine that this will put the mockers on the Gumball and any similar kind of event in the future. A competiton like this will always attract the hooligan element who want to show off but do not have the skill to do it or the responsibility to be let loose in such cars in such an event.

Les
Old 04 May 2007, 11:22 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Spot-on post J4CKO. The whole Gumball thing stinks.

Richard.

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I have been predicting this for a while now, I am surprised it has taken this long, bit of a no brainer really,

A load of people in very fast cars, acting daft, hungover, tired on unfamiliar roads in stange places driving too quickly with loads of peasants on Pony and trap things, kids playing etc who are not used to such fast traffic.

Perhaps now this conspicous and obnoxious event will be banned as it is too big and high profile, **** like this spoils performance cars for sensible owners.

The two in the Porsche are beneath contempt, kill someone and then run away like naughty little boys who have broke a window, and try and leave the country, speaks volumes about the type that the Gumball seems to attract, and the organisers tried to cover it up, f*cking self interested bunch of tossers, the parties over boys, time to grow up and face your responsibilities.
Old 04 May 2007, 11:34 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

I wonder if the event will be back....
Old 04 May 2007, 11:51 AM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

i think this is very sad! although in all honesty some of you are jumping the gun!
the two guys are reported to have stayed with the injured untill the ambulance arrived! if this is true then they didnt just run off did they? they stayed untill help arrived wich is what you would do your self! the victim may have been awake at this time and un aware of the injurys he had recieved, they saw it ok to continue! afterall its a race so getting on with it is a must!
HOWEVER if they did run and did know the guy was dead then they should be tacken for everything!
the two guys didnt find out he was dead though untill later on!
i think we need a propper police statement to clear this up!
and as for rich men driving around europe in fast sexy cars like they own the place! were all just jelous and cant wait to throw this in there faces!
WE NEED TRUE FACTS
Old 04 May 2007, 12:03 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Old 04 May 2007, 12:46 PM
New_scooby_04

We need the facts before condeming anyone. All to easy to assume that it MUST be the Toffs in the fast car who were to blame, but we don't know that yet! Reports about how the involved parties behaved after the accident are also confused.

That said, I think Gumball was an accident waiting to happen for the reasons outlined above. I don't think it's wise for it to continue in it's current format, but it would be a pity to see it outlawed completely.

Ns04
Old 04 May 2007, 12:48 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

From here.

SKOPJE, Macedonia: Police have arrested two Britons competing in the Gumball Rally for their alleged involvement in an accident that killed an elderly driver and critically wounded his wife.

Police on Thursday identified the men as Nicholas Morley, 30, and Matthew McConvile, 32. They were driving a Porsche 911 in the Gumball 3000 rally — a 4,825-kilometer (3,000-mile) race across Europe.

They were arrested on provisional charges of endangering traffic and abandoning an accident victim, police spokesman Ivo Kotevski said. The offenses could lead to a one-year prison sentence if convicted.

More serious charges could be pressed later.

Kotevski said Morley had been taken into police custody for a maximum of 30 days after being questioned by a magistrate in the town of Struga, about 190 kilometers (120 miles) from Skopje. McConvile was released, but it was not immediately clear whether charges against him would be dropped.
Reports are that they were assisted in attempting to make a run for the border by a fellow competitor in a BMW ...

Macedonian TV report video here.

Quick Reply: Gumball Death