Bangkok hotel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2007, 08:50 PM
f1sh4u
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bangkok hotel recommendations

Hi all,

I am going on a bit of a round the world trip soon and my first destination will be Bangkok. I don't want to stay there long (want to head straight out to Vietnam) however i am probably going to spend 3 nights in Bangkok just to find my feet.

Can anyone suggest any decent hotels? I am not looking to spend a fortune (I am on a backpackers budget), but I would like something reasonable.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Old 19 February 2007, 08:52 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Yeah yeah, dirty b@stard, we know what you're going to Bangkok for

DIRTY BOY
Old 19 February 2007, 08:54 PM
f1sh4u
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Yeah yeah, dirty b@stard, we know what you're going to Bangkok for

DIRTY BOY
There will be non of that business!
Old 19 February 2007, 08:58 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Use a backpackers place think they are about £8 a night just bung a cork up your ****
Old 19 February 2007, 09:02 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

This is the best site for Bangkok Hotels

Bangkok hotels in Thailand. Hotel and guesthouse in the City.

What do you want to spend a night?
Old 19 February 2007, 09:05 PM
f1sh4u
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
This is the best site for Bangkok Hotels

Bangkok hotels in Thailand. Hotel and guesthouse in the City.

What do you want to spend a night?
Thanks for the link. I don't really have a set budget, but I have heard people say that you can get something pretty nice for £15?

Steve
Old 19 February 2007, 09:09 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Holiday Inn Resort Phuket - Photo Gallery
Old 19 February 2007, 09:09 PM
slagmagnet69
Scooby Regular

Try this - Bangkok Hotels Thailand, Hotels in Bangkok - Bangkok Hotels Review

I always stay at Nana hotel when i visit Banger's - it's very basic but only about £12 per night. Best thing its directly across the road from Nana entertainment complex where an unbelievable night out can be had.
Old 19 February 2007, 09:16 PM
f1sh4u
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info so far guys. Would Khaosan Road be a good place to head straight away? I have heard that is where a lot of backpackers go?

Steve
Old 19 February 2007, 09:22 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Yes, Khaosan sounds like the best place for you. If you were on a shopping/spa holiday then other areas, but KS is better for younger people on budgets.

Try to stay in one off the main street though, there are some really good places around the area that are more laid back.
Old 19 February 2007, 09:26 PM
slagmagnet69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1sh4u
Thanks for the info so far guys. Would Khaosan Road be a good place to head straight away? I have heard that is where a lot of backpackers go?

Steve

You should be ok there, everywhere is very cheap and easy to get to in Bangkok. Dont really know what you are looking for in Bangkok but trust me 3 days will be enough. As fascinating as it is it can be very smelly, dirty and just too busy. Great place to experience though.
Old 19 February 2007, 10:22 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

If you can fit it in I'd recommend Cambodia on your trip.
Old 19 February 2007, 10:36 PM
f1sh4u
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slagmagnet69
Dont really know what you are looking for in Bangkok but trust me 3 days will be enough. As fascinating as it is it can be very smelly, dirty and just too busy. Great place to experience though.
Yeah, that's what some others have told me, hence the reason I only really plan 3 nights (2 days) there.
Old 19 February 2007, 10:37 PM
f1sh4u
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
If you can fit it in I'd recommend Cambodia on your trip.
Yep, it is one of my planned countries Anywhere in particular you would recommend?
Old 19 February 2007, 11:54 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

Cambodia is a must.

Khaosan road is a **** hole. vastly over rated by the books etc.Its also no good for visiting the best parts of BK. Also bad stories going on there .

A stay at the NANA will ruin your trip !! you cant walk across the carpets because of the spunk sticking to your shoes !! Its a world famous mongers hotel with a lot of action going on in it. "Angels" (bar club inside) is better than any "Weatherspoons " ! The place is off the planet !! The car park can be tricky, might suit many a subaru owner around 2am (In joke for those that know !)

For £15.00 you can find a hotel along the Sukhumvit that will be more fun etc.

Trust me "Khaosan" is rubbish.

I stay at the "JWM" .
Old 20 February 2007, 12:15 AM
slagmagnet69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Seamaster

Khaosan road is a **** hole. Its also no good for visiting the best parts of BK. Also bad stories going on there .

A stay at the NANA will ruin your trip !! you cant walk across the carpets because of the spunk sticking to your shoes !! Its a world famous mongers hotel with a lot of action going on in it.

For £15.00 you can find a hotel along the Sukhumvit that will be more fun etc.

I stay at the "JWM" .
True but Bangkok in general is a ****hole and bad stories go on everywhere in
any heavily populated area in Thailand.

The carpet is not that bad but yep it's deffo the place to go to get laid more times than you can handle but if your not up to that then that's your loss.

The JWM isnt exactly a budget hotel now is it???

As I said to fish4u it depends what he is after.....personally I love the place in small doses that is.

Last edited by slagmagnet69; 20 February 2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 20 February 2007, 12:39 AM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Try a hotel in the Asok area of Bangkok,close to Soi Cowboy and not as bad as Nana.

Only 20 mins by toll road to the area.

Right next to the Skytrain too.

I had 3 nights in Bangkok and that was enough.

But the excursions were great,Grande palace ,floating market amd that.
Old 20 February 2007, 12:54 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I prefer the Sukhumvit end meself - JWMarriott is fab; mention a big american brand name close by when booking to try for a discount. Well situated, cheap and plush; you can even afford the room service and haircuts! Mate's marrying a recent miss thailand in summer [sic] and we have been recommended to stay at some apartments in The Ascot in Sathorn - bit more businesslike that area though. I love the Sukhumvit Soi's & bustle.

D
Old 20 February 2007, 07:53 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I disagree about Khao San, it's the best place to go for him. Good location for a few of the main sites and it has been going more upmarket from the ****holes that used to be there. As a travellers centre it's the best in Bangkok.

You can stay in Sukhumwit but it'll be a pretty sterile environment - most people there are shoppers/sex tourists/on business etc. It's also at the other side of town from a lot of attractions.

Sathorn is just dead - absolutely nothing there for the tourist, unless you like office towers and embassies.

Personally I always stay in the main shopping area, around Pratunam/MBK, as it's so centra,l but most hotels are pretty large and more expensive than you are looking for. You can also get to Patpong/Soi Cowby/Nana within minutes on the Skytrain anyway.

Originally Posted by Diesel
I prefer the Sukhumvit end meself - JWMarriott is fab; mention a big american brand name close by when booking to try for a discount. Well situated, cheap and plush; you can even afford the room service and haircuts! Mate's marrying a recent miss thailand in summer [sic] and we have been recommended to stay at some apartments in The Ascot in Sathorn - bit more businesslike that area though. I love the Sukhumvit Soi's & bustle.

D
Sure it's not a recent Miss Tiffany from Thailand?
Old 20 February 2007, 08:33 AM
King RA
BANNED

Just got back last week and if you fancy staying in Surkumvit then you could try the Grace hotel, very big, lots of rooms and relatively cheap; right near Nana plaza if you'd like a complete role reversal and getting your dick grabbed by ladyboys (I think the people recommending it here may not realise 90% of the birds are blokes hahaha). If you want it a bit tamer then go to Khosan road, if you want it wild then try Patpong (rather aptly named)
Old 20 February 2007, 08:56 AM
super slider
Scooby Regular

i can highly recommend River View Guest House (its on google). Its about £8 per night for a large clean okay room. Shared toilets and shower. Great view of the Chao Prya river from the rooftop terrace (as good as the Sheriton, Oriental etc). Only 162 out of 274 hotels on Tripadvisor.com but i always go there when in Bangkok. Its in Chinatown near the Sheraton. You can catch a river boat to it (when you know where to get off). i can also recommend the Oriental, a fantastic hotel, much much better than the Sheratons etc, just voted best hotel in Asia. It comes at a price . though , cost me £140 for one night in the cheapest room, but it was great to experience a top top hotel, do not regret it one bit.
Michael
Old 20 February 2007, 10:01 AM
Seamaster
BANNED

Originally Posted by King RA
Just got back last week and if you fancy staying in Surkumvit then you could try the Grace hotel, very big, lots of rooms and relatively cheap; right near Nana plaza if you'd like a complete role reversal and getting your dick grabbed by ladyboys (I think the people recommending it here may not realise 90% of the birds are blokes hahaha). If you want it a bit tamer then go to Khosan road, if you want it wild then try Patpong (rather aptly named)

The Grace is a very notorious hotel. NOT ONE I WOULD SUGGEST ANYONE STAYING IN.

I still have friends who own businesses there and the Khaosan road is getting some bad press. To many tourists getting robbed etc. the hotels are cheap, but for not much more you can get a lot nicer elsewhere.
Old 20 February 2007, 10:13 AM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Give the skytrain a try, well nice clean and cool. Sukhumwit is ok for hotels if you dont mind skytrain-ing or taxi-ing into main town.

You gotta go to the Khaosan Road and grab a beer in a bar, sit and people watch for a while, great fun.

Go to Pat Pong market too, "you like ping pong?"....

Also if you get time go to Siam Ocean World in the huge Paragon shopping mall, we had such a great day there eating food and looking at fish.

Ahh..... Bangkok, would go back tomorrow if I could.
Old 20 February 2007, 10:16 AM
Seamaster
BANNED

pat pong is the last place a "Bangkok newbie" should go to. So many turn up at their Embassies the next day , money,card and passports gone. I know guys who have bars etc and they dont visit it. (The King group places are ok)
Old 20 February 2007, 11:07 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

pat pong is the last place a "Bangkok newbie" should go to. So many turn up at their Embassies the next day , money,card and passports gone. I know guys who have bars etc and they dont visit it. (The King group places are ok)
Patpong is not that bad, it's probably one of the best night markets for knockoffs, but never pay more than 20% (if that) of the initial price they say on anything.

King Groups bars are safe, but a couple of them are 90% LBs and some of them are seriously hard to tell the difference even for experienced people - a newbie wouldn't stand a chance (KC3 and Kings Corner I think). There are a couple of upstairs bars still doing shows, but don't take the chance. all the downstairs ones are pretty legit (mostly Kings anyway)

There is a really good open air bar on a corner in the middle of Patpong that often has live music which is pretty good.

Just down the road from Patpong is night bazar called Suan Lum which is quite good.
Old 20 February 2007, 11:16 AM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1sh4u
Hi all,

I am going on a bit of a round the world trip soon and my first destination will be Bangkok. I don't want to stay there long (want to head straight out to Vietnam) however i am probably going to spend 3 nights in Bangkok just to find my feet.

Can anyone suggest any decent hotels? I am not looking to spend a fortune (I am on a backpackers budget), but I would like something reasonable.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Me and the missus stayed at the Landmark hotel in Jan this year which I can thoroughly recommend .
Stayed for 5 nights and it was top quality, has about 5 restaurants inside ( the Thai restaurant on ground floor was superb and the rib room & bar on the 31st floor was unbelieveable ! ) and it has a quality pub in the basement.
I't's only 5 minutes walk to the nearest skytrain which in turn is then a 5 minute train ride to saim ( where there's shopping, restaurants, etc. )

Here's the link ;

Welcome to The Landmark Bangkok

Hope you find it useful

Last edited by MTayler; 20 February 2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 20 February 2007, 11:30 AM
Seamaster
BANNED

Suan Lum night market is realy good. but "Chit chat " (!!) is much better ,but madness. Whats the point of going to bangkok and not going to "Edens" etc ?

I love "Slim's" and 'sin" . bed club etc is a waste of time. Sukhumvit soi 3- 15 is good fun after 1am for the little street bars. some nice people around.

khao is full of young people having their hair platted and emailing everyone on their mac books !! "wannabehippystyleee"
Old 20 February 2007, 11:38 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Suan Lum night market is realy good. but "Chit chat " (!!) is much better ,but madness. Whats the point of going to bangkok and not going to "Edens" etc ?
Chatuchak is the weekend market.

But top three Bangkok experiences

1) Eden Club
2) Soapy
3) Eden Club

Bed Supper Club and Q bar are supposedly cool places but in reality are full of dumb westerners that think they are cool and ladyboys.

Some people have strange ideas of £15 hotels.

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 20 February 2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 20 February 2007, 11:59 AM
Seamaster
BANNED

1 Edens
2 Edens take away
3 Phone Edens for more girls and ***** cream !!
4. Quiet drink in the piano bar at the JWM !!
Old 20 February 2007, 12:03 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Where is that open air bar - perched on the top of a skyscraper? Need to take the missus to this in June. Cocktails and Vertico - yeuch!

Quick Reply: Bangkok hotel recommendations