Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone with oversea's Bar/Club connections..??

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2006, 02:19 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone with oversea's Bar/Club connections..??

Going away to Oz in Jan and was hoping to get some DJ work, having built myself a reasonable reputation in my local area over a period of years I realize going to a new country I’ll be starting from scratch! (no pun intended )

Anyone with bar/club industry contacts in Australia/Asia/USA/South America?? I'm looking for work all over!

Bit of a long shot, but if you don’t ask...

Thanks

Wez
Old 12 December 2006, 08:45 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

no but ive been in a few
Old 12 December 2006, 09:09 PM
DJ Vinyl Ritchie
BANNED

Another wannabe trying to make the BIG time

DJ Vinyl Ritchie......... just put on your Bucks Fizz and Bananarama remixes and watch the crowds come in

Old 13 December 2006, 08:10 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Vinyl Ritchie

DJ Vinyl Ritchie......... just put on your Bucks Fizz and Bananarama remixes and watch the crowds come in

the world loves a wannabe. im in the same boat, but in scunny, there is nowhere to even get your name about. its a pathetic night out. ive been djing for 4 1/2 years and im pretty good now, cant get work anywhere as i dont play cheese and pop music!

andy
Old 13 December 2006, 11:39 AM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

haha, ok mate

i actually earn a professional living as a DJ, not many people can do that and i turn work down left right and centre..

i'm sure you'll tell us where you play now...

Old 13 December 2006, 09:11 PM
DJ Vinyl Ritchie
BANNED

Originally Posted by wez_sti
haha, ok mate

i actually earn a professional living as a DJ, not many people can do that and i turn work down left right and centre..

Irony.....I just love irony.

F00k me son, you must be doing extremely well, driving a pug 106 too - business must be booming, you must be so pleased. Keep up the good work

DJ Vinyl Ritchie......... You either have it, or you don't.
Old 13 December 2006, 09:15 PM
DJ Vinyl Ritchie
BANNED

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
the world loves a wannabe. im in the same boat, but in scunny, there is nowhere to even get your name about. its a pathetic night out. ive been djing for 4 1/2 years and im pretty good now, cant get work anywhere as i dont play cheese and pop music!

andy

Brian,

stick to the art work dude, good talent

I've been to scunny, f00kin' 'ell - never again.

They'd have the wheels off a jumbo jet if it flew low enough

DJ Vinyl Ritchie......... I'm pukka on my etcha sketch
Old 13 December 2006, 09:17 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Brian,

stick to the art work dude, good talent

I've been to scunny, f00kin' 'ell - never again.

They'd have the wheels off a jumbo jet if it flew low enough

DJ Vinyl Ritchie......... I'm pukka on my etcha sketch
Today, 08:10
chocolate_o_brian vbmenu_register("postmenu_6443201", true);
Scooby Regular

Location: my name is ANDY and i drive a subaru again... *high five*
Old 14 December 2006, 12:33 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Irony.....I just love irony.

F00k me son, you must be doing extremely well, driving a pug 106 too - business must be booming, you must be so pleased. Keep up the good work

DJ Vinyl Ritchie......... You either have it, or you don't.

Oh dear

I drive a sh1tty car as

a)i don’t even really need a car

b) I’m stashing the cash so i can go traveling (hence the post you 'tard)

I’ll be crying into my cocktail whilst lapping up the sunshine on the copacabana I’m sure!

Wez_sti....Doesn’t feel the need to sign of every post with a gay comment
Old 14 December 2006, 12:43 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Research some clubs on the net in the area your heading for, then send CD’s before your arrival (a good few weeks), that’s one option

Or look online at foreign DJ booking websites
Old 14 December 2006, 01:01 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RMA26
Research some clubs on the net in the area your heading for, then send CD’s before your arrival (a good few weeks), that’s one option

Or look online at foreign DJ booking websites

sounds like a plan...

anyone know how big house/electro is in foreign land...?
Old 14 December 2006, 01:22 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

anyone know how big house/electro is in foreign land...?
not very, certainly in comparison to the Uk.
Old 14 December 2006, 01:47 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
not very, certainly in comparison to the Uk.

Well there's a spanner in the works eh Freak!

just see how it goes then i guess, gonna have to sort my music out big time!
Old 14 December 2006, 03:15 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Just take a cd wallet with stuff in too- cover all bases of house so you arent restricted just to the dirty stuff.
Always chances to play if you can blag a little. The accent will help.

And leave room for the records you will buy abroad too!
Old 14 December 2006, 03:18 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Just take a cd wallet with stuff in too- cover all bases of house so you arent restricted just to the dirty stuff.
Always chances to play if you can blag a little. The accent will help.

And leave room for the records you will buy abroad too!

Yeah was going to take a c.d case with all my music A-Z, will take a while but will be worth it!

That little black wallet will be worth a fortune!

about 15 years of pretty much every big house tune released!
Old 14 December 2006, 03:43 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Yeah was going to take a c.d case with all my music A-Z, will take a while but will be worth it!

That little black wallet will be worth a fortune!

about 15 years of pretty much every big house tune released!
noooooo.... vinyl mate, vinyl. you know what ive been djing myself 4 1/2 years and ive never mixed cd's, not through choice, but never bought into the cd decks etc. still have my trusty 1210s after 4 years of ownership!

andy
Old 14 December 2006, 03:54 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Using Vinyl you obviously know how stupidly heavy it is!!!

In an ideal world I’d love to take my records too but it'll just be too much weight!

My c.d case is going to be tricky enough!

Would strongly advise getting your hands on some c.d decks! Pioneers if you can...can see Technics being a distant memory in some clubs soon!

Do love Vinyl and DJing with Vinyl but its getting hard to justify £5-£8 a record these days when you can go to djdownload.com or similar and listen to 100's of tracks then buy them from 99p...

Will always have a soft spot for it though!
Old 14 December 2006, 04:12 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Using Vinyl you obviously know how stupidly heavy it is!!!

In an ideal world I’d love to take my records too but it'll just be too much weight!

Would strongly advise getting your hands on some c.d decks! Pioneers if you can...can see Technics being a distant memory in some clubs soon!

Do love Vinyl and DJing with Vinyl but its getting hard to justify £5-£8 a record these days when you can go to djdownload.com or similar and listen to 100's of tracks then buy them from 99p...

Will always have a soft spot for it though!
agreed, very heavy, but in the days of old, djs did it with vinyl only, so im carrying on the tradition. its the manual feel of sweeping a track beat back, to beat match that has me. on a cd deck, your not touching the music as such, just pressing a button or holding a platter to pause etc. maybe im too old school...

andy
Old 14 December 2006, 04:20 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

maybe im too old school...
Not at all...
99% of the stuff I have on cd is transferred from the vinyl mountain.
Truth be told, I rarely use my CDJ's

Am buying more vinyl than ever now and am rapidly running out of space....its way past ridiculous now...

I know I sound like a salesman for them, but thats only because I have been using them for a long time now! Check the UDG trolley bag with their cd wallets. Holds 3x128capacity wallets snugly.

Last edited by Freak; 14 December 2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 14 December 2006, 04:30 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Not at all...
99% of the stuff I have on cd is transferred from the vinyl mountain.
Truth be told, I rarely use my CDJ's

Am buying more vinyl than ever now and am rapidly running out of space....its way past ridiculous now...

I know I sound like a salesman for them, but thats only because I have been using them for a long time now! Check the UDG trolley bag with their cd wallets. Holds 3x128capacity wallets snugly.
i suppose im ok, as i cant work anywhere djing anyway, as scunny is so pants for anything non-cheesey. so il probably always be a bedroom/home dj. same goes for my drawing skills, again just no opportunities round here and i have a house to pay for, so i cant just move to a bigger town/city...

andy
Old 14 December 2006, 05:15 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i suppose im ok, as i cant work anywhere djing anyway, as scunny is so pants for anything non-cheesey. so il probably always be a bedroom/home dj. same goes for my drawing skills, again just no opportunities round here and i have a house to pay for, so i cant just move to a bigger town/city...

andy

You should speak to a local club and ask to promote a night that they're normally either shut or dead as at the end of the day all they care about is making money, probably alot of people like you that are sick of the sh1te cheese!

Alot of the big names started out with their own nights... would do it myself if i wasn’t going away!

Love vinyl, just not for traveling! As you say its a much more hands on and 'honest' way of mixing..

Freak, i'll check out the UDJ stuff, could do with something that'll last..

Wez
Old 14 December 2006, 06:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

You should speak to a local club and ask to promote a night that they're normally either shut or dead as at the end of the day all they care about is making money, probably alot of people like you that are sick of the sh1te cheese!

Alot of the big names started out with their own nights... would do it myself if i wasn’t going away!

Love vinyl, just not for traveling! As you say its a much more hands on and 'honest' way of mixing..

Freak, i'll check out the UDJ stuff, could do with something that'll last..

Wez

this is what i dont get. theres a club called "time" in scunny. really the only night club, as the other places are basically bars/fun pubs. every saturday night 12am-4am after the cheese, they do a session called hard8. usually couple of djs playing and mixing properly (not pressing play pause like the predescending dj) a mix of house, electro, even some good trance. now i been out roughly every other saturday for a couple months, and usually pay a visit to time after 12am to see.

they dont play any cheese, maybe some more commercial stuff, but a lot of decent new music. young guys mid twenties maybe, one usues cds, one vinyl. but come 1.30am theres maybe 4 people on the dance floor, and 30 people in the whole club. nobodiys interested, they all pack off to the fun pubs/bars that are also open till 4am.

i dont geddit, i am a real music fan, and im not one of these "beer boys" who adopt a half decent commercial cut and dance like a spaz to it. maybe scunny is just never meant to be a decent night out.

a few years ago before i was legal, i remember being told that judge jules came to dj at time (known as henry afrikas then), and only 400 people turned up. it holds 1500-2000 people, so figure that one out. he vowed never ever to dj in scunthorpe ever again!

so you see my point, even a world class renound dj cant attract a crowd.

personally i would be happy enough playing in front of 200+ people in a small intimate venue with real music fans, who enjoy what i play. but if i did ever get the chance to play infront of thousands, id snap it up just like that... as i would like to think im good enough for a club/bar dj set... lots of choons too.

rant over
Old 14 December 2006, 06:40 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

personally i would be happy enough playing in front of 200+ people in a small intimate venue with real music fans, who enjoy what i play. but if i did ever get the chance to play infront of thousands, id snap it up just like that... as i would like to think im good enough for a club/bar dj set... lots of choons too.
Time is Luminar owned.
having done a hell of a lot of work in Luminar venues and similar companies, in general their music policies matter not to the company or the management.
bottom line, all they care about it $$$- moreso than any other club/bar/entertainment company I have worked for.
That section doesnt work because its only a small section of a general across the board night.
If it has a dedicated room/identity and isnt just tacked on after the cheese, and is promoted, then there is no reason it should not work. You would get the people in for that, as opposed to the reverse of being there for the cheese then leaving when it ends.

It really is a sh*tty business

If you would be happy doing that you mention above, then approach someone. Find a small bar or club and put the night on yourself. Make yourself resident, and promote the **** off it.
If you are the resident, you have nothing to lose (in terms of cash) by trying as you arent paying a dj.
Sort a deal out where say, you get the door or a percentage of the door, or an amount per person, and the venue gets the bar.
Believe me, playing to thousands (ive done a couple of the big luminar ones) is no fun if what you are having to play is lowest common denominator wnak that you cant stand.

Last edited by Freak; 14 December 2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 14 December 2006, 06:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

If you would be happy doing that you mention above, then approach someone. Find a small bar or club and put the night on yourself. Make yourself resident, and promote the **** off it.
If you are the resident, you have nothing to lose by trying.
Believe me, playing to thousands (ive done a couple of the big luminar ones) is no fun if what you are having to play is lowest common denominator wnak that you cant stand.
i see what you mean, but here others have tried and failed. i personally would like to do a trance night, full of classics and also new stuff. but for that i need capital to promote it via leaflets, posters etc. then i need a venue, and round here they will probably charge you for use. then i need bouncers, again more money, and then i need punters, whcih i dont think scunny has.

i remember a hard trance night set up in scunny about 3 years ago. was a one off caled "state of mind", in a local pub, upstairs in its bar area. about 400 capacity. guy who did it forked out £1500 for hiring the place, paying staff, bouncers, promoting it etc, and he has various contacts so probably didnt pay full rates.

60 people turned up, and payed £5 each to get in. see where im coming from

andy
Old 14 December 2006, 09:59 PM
DJ Vinyl Ritchie
BANNED

Oh dear

I drive a sh1tty car as

a)i don’t even really need a car

b) I’m stashing the cash so i can go traveling (hence the post you 'tard)

I’ll be crying into my cocktail whilst lapping up the sunshine on the copacabana I’m sure!

Wez_sti....Doesn’t feel the need to sign of every post with a gay comment
Essex, the epicentre of the universe, give my regards to Jade Goody

You stick to earning a shilling/hour and a horse **** sandwich from the locals mate

DJ Vinyl Ritchie.........Vinyl is the way forward
Old 14 December 2006, 10:07 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

whilst dj's are reading this (apologies for the hijack) can anyone get me a crossfader compatible with a Vestax mixer?? PM's welcome

good luck with the DJ'in !! I think wherever you go its just a case of proving your worth - because unless they've really got their ear to the ground overseas they're unlikely to have heard of you.
Old 14 December 2006, 10:20 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
whilst dj's are reading this (apologies for the hijack) can anyone get me a crossfader compatible with a Vestax mixer?? PM's welcome
Which model? You need a replacement for a factory one thats worn out?
Or do you mean an external unit?
Old 14 December 2006, 10:24 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Ive got the Vestax PMC 170A mixer and the old factory standard fader has worn out completely. Need a replacement to fit in!
Old 15 December 2006, 06:32 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
Ive got the Vestax PMC 170A mixer and the old factory standard fader has worn out completely. Need a replacement to fit in!
Hard to Find Records - The best place for vinyl and DJ Equipment in the world!

Chemical Ltd - Records | MP3 | Clothing | DJ Equipment

try these...

andy

dj vinyl ritchie, vinyl is the way forward, but your still pslewis' love child...

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 15 December 2006 at 06:55 AM.
Old 15 December 2006, 01:25 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Talking

Essex, the epicentre of the universe, give my regards to Jade Goody

You stick to earning a shilling/hour and a horse **** sandwich from the locals mate

DJ Vinyl Ritchie.........Vinyl is the way forward

Have you been stealing my wage slips

Actually you cant of as then you'd know i get the equivalent of a decent weekly wage for doing 2 hours of something i really enjoy...

Being a troll is really sad, being a **** troll just makes me want to cry for you. Poor thing.

I'm sure there's a Trekkie convention you should be at, chop chop

Quick Reply: Anyone with oversea's Bar/Club connections..??