Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What is it with Drink Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2006, 01:51 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What is it with Drink Driving?

Heard on the radio this morning that they are looking into reducing the amount of alcohol you can drink before driving for under 25's

Why is it everyone goes up in arms about the government trying to lower the drink driving limit?

Does that mean the majority of people like to drink and drive ?

seems that way to me
Old 14 September 2006, 01:54 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of us enjoy a pint & thats it.
Old 14 September 2006, 01:56 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

maybe, but they are only talking about lowering it to a pint instead of 2, and everyone thinks the world is about to end

It certainly would be the end of the world for someone killed by a drink driver
Old 14 September 2006, 01:57 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

tbh i agree with banning all drinking and driving, perhaps its a bit unnessasary to go that far but hey might stop some poeple
davegtt
Scooby Senior

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5344130.stm

Thing is, reducing the limit will do nothing, infact it'll probably mean more people are caught out with just having the one pint and driving home which providing your not 10 or a woman should be perfectly safe IMO.
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Does seem a bit odd to me - possible trying to bring in line with Europe ?? - Know Oz have a lower drink drive limit for under 25's, but no too sure about European countries.

And the chances of getting stopped for drink driving by a gatso. FA !

Richard

PS dont approve of DD driving at all - just stating the obvious with our policing by static camera state !
Old 14 September 2006, 02:04 PM
Vapid
BANNED

I've done a fair bit of drink driving and will probably continue to do so.

None if it I'm happy to say anywhere where it's illegal,
Old 14 September 2006, 02:13 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Why target the under 25's? I think in most cases the older generations are the worst offenders but the chances of them being pulled over are prob far less due to how they look and the cars they're likely to drive. if they do it then do it for all.
Old 14 September 2006, 02:13 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Those that exceed the current limit and are a danger on the roads are going to continue to do so no matter what the limit.

Yet more toothless legislation for the sake of appeasing the do-gooder brigade. How the heck do they plan to police this without getting more cops on the road? I blame the lack of police on the road for the rise in drink driving in the first place, people just don't think they'll get caught.
Old 14 September 2006, 02:15 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

my mate is currently on bail for drink driving, although he was asleep in his car at the time, in a sleeping bag, in a car park!!
they claimed he was drunk in charge of a vehicle, due to having the keys on his possesion.
ffs what is this world coming to ??
dare i say it, he would probably have been better off driving pissed!
Old 14 September 2006, 02:15 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Olly

Surely the rise in drink driving, is people actually drinking then driving
Old 14 September 2006, 02:16 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

But certainly in the US the consequences of DD are related to the amount of alcohol.

I would certainly support a more staggerred approach, so 1 pint for example was a fine, 2 pints is a short ban, 3 pints is a medium ban and so on. Then increase the penalty at the higher end to permanent ban in the case of repeat offenders with high alchohol limits.

I know a couple of people who have copped for 12-18 month bans the next morning, and they felt perfectly fine but blew just over (42ish)
Old 14 September 2006, 02:17 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rgv_stu
my mate is currently on bail for drink driving, although he was asleep in his car at the time, in a sleeping bag, in a car park!!
they claimed he was drunk in charge of a vehicle, due to having the keys on his possesion.
I was told if you are to do this, make sure you sleep in the boot, and put the keys in the glove box

No he wouldnt have been better off driving pissed, what if he had drove pissed, and knocked down and killed your mum/dad/girlfriend/wife/daughter/son etc etc would he have still been right then ?

I think not
Old 14 September 2006, 02:18 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
maybe, but they are only talking about lowering it to a pint instead of 2, and everyone thinks the world is about to end

It certainly would be the end of the world for someone killed by a drink driver
1 pint may be too much for some, but not enough for others, your absorbsion rate, BMI and tolerance will effect you consumption as will an empty stomach.

But D and D is an evil we could do without! Let's not forget that many now drive under the influence of drugs!!!!!!!!!!!!! illegal or otherwise!
Old 14 September 2006, 02:20 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by MattW
But certainly in the US the consequences of DD are related to the amount of alcohol.

I would certainly support a more staggerred approach, so 1 pint for example was a fine, 2 pints is a short ban, 3 pints is a medium ban and so on. Then increase the penalty at the higher end to permanent ban in the case of repeat offenders with high alchohol limits.

I know a couple of people who have copped for 12-18 month bans the next morning, and they felt perfectly fine but blew just over (42ish)
So 1 pint and kill someone is only 3 points and £60 F**k off
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by OllyK
I blame the lack of police on the road for the rise in drink driving in the first place, people just don't think they'll get caught.
Thats it, you know if youve had say 5 pints and get in your car (not that I woud or Im condoning it) if you had the frame of mind that if you stick to the speed limit you shouldnt get pulled over
New_scooby_04

AFAIK,

You dont need to be over the limit to be prosecuted for drink driving, if the breath test indicates that you have consumed alcohol and in the officers estimation your driving has been impaired, you can be arrested and charged. Not sure how common this is though!

Best practice: If you're gonna drive, don't drink anything!

If you had an accident having had a drink, even if you were prefectly under the limit, you'd never forgive yourself, thinking that the drink may have been a factor.

Ns04
Old 14 September 2006, 02:22 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
So 1 pint and kill someone is only 3 points and £60 F**k off
I would like to think that if Id had one pint and knocked someone down the one pint wouldnt be taking into consideration if I was under the limit (which Id full expect to be after one pint)
Old 14 September 2006, 02:24 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Why target the under 25's? I think in most cases the older generations are the worst offenders but the chances of them being pulled over are prob far less due to how they look and the cars they're likely to drive. if they do it then do it for all.
Tell that to the Insurance Companies. The stats clearly state that under 25's are more likely to have accidents when drunk or not. But, yes many age ranges do it.

In Germany Passengers are also done for being in the car with a Drunken Driver!!! That may stop a few road deaths.
Old 14 September 2006, 02:27 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
Olly

Surely the rise in drink driving, is people actually drinking then driving
Yes but why are more people drinking and driving now than they used to? Because they think they can get away with it.
Old 14 September 2006, 02:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rgv_stu

I'm taking this at face value and it really pisses me off. I've told my son if he ever gets pissed at a party and finds out at the last minute he can't stay over (as they usually do) then NEVER to drive home but to sleep it off in the car. Btw no public transport that works where we are So he still runs the risk of being done even though he had no intention of even starting the engine........ And yes he might want the keys to listen to music for example.
Old 14 September 2006, 02:29 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by davegtt
I would like to think that if Id had one pint and knocked someone down the one pint wouldnt be taking into consideration if I was under the limit (which Id full expect to be after one pint)
Would you be under the limit?
Have you had a test after drinking one pint?

Don't forget it takes a while to get into your blood and obviously out of your blood, hence the "morning after" failure. 8hrs bottle to throttle is the minimum recommended.
Old 14 September 2006, 02:31 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Would you be under the limit?
Have you had a test after drinking one pint?

Don't forget it takes a while to get into your blood and obviously out of your blood, hence the "morning after" failure. 8hrs bottle to throttle is the minimum recommended.
Been tested twice in the past, both times after 2 pints, both times under the limit.
Old 14 September 2006, 02:35 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I think it should be a complete ban, no alcohol at all if you are driving, it would cut out any confusion about limits and levels. I may have a pint at lunchtime if I were driving, but I would have no issue if the government put a blanket ban for the good of everyone.

I've worked for companies where if they even saw you near the pub during lunch you would be out.

In Texas drink-driving is almost socially acceptable, as it's "so big" people justify it. Not sure how many drink related deaths there are, but I've seen people leaving bars that can barely stand, taking ten minutes to find their car, and then heading on to 12 lane highways.
Old 14 September 2006, 02:37 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I passed after drinking 3 bottles of Budwieser when I was 18.... (just thought Id put how old I was as Im wiser now and dont drink that ****...lol)

If Id have had one pint and got in the car then the alcohol wouldnt really be in my blood stream yet if I was only driving the 5 minute journey home.

The best way you can cure not drinking and driving is if you intend on having a pint walk into town. no choice but to get a taxi or walk home then. Although there are times you'll get caught out on a last minute lets go for a drink thing.
Old 14 September 2006, 02:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
I think it should be a complete ban, no alcohol at all if you are driving, it would cut out any confusion about limits and levels. I may have a pint at lunchtime if I were driving, but I would have no issue if the government put a blanket ban for the good of everyone.
I still dont think this will work as people can easily be uneffected by one or 2 pints and will think if I have one or 2 then I can still drive, what are the chances of being pulled providing I can drive in a straight line and at the speed limit? If anything you'll probably get some better drivers on the road trying to avoid being pulled
Old 14 September 2006, 02:40 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

It's not going to happen - some advisory panel has suggested it, that's all
Old 14 September 2006, 02:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think it is more sensible and better for others if you avoid drinking and driving.

I also think it was unfair to prosecute the bloke who was asleep in his car in a sleeping bag.

Les
Old 14 September 2006, 03:44 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

There really is too much confusion on the drink driving front, as alcohol affects each person differently the only sure way to control it would be ban it completely so then no matter how it affects you you cannot have a drink and then drive.
Old 14 September 2006, 03:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by PaulC72
There really is too much confusion on the drink driving front, as alcohol affects each person differently the only sure way to control it would be ban it completely so then no matter how it affects you you cannot have a drink and then drive.
Or manufacturers as standard fit breath testers to the ignition barrel. off course there are ways round it with mates etc but it'll stop the alcoholic who sits in the bar til hes kicked out climbing into his motor and buggering off.

Quick Reply: What is it with Drink Driving?