Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

'No Canvassers' - Autotrader Arghhh!

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2006, 12:31 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'No Canvassers' - Autotrader Arghhh!

Had my RS4 advertised in Autotrader for 3 weeks recently and have been absolutely plagued by 19 year old telesales girls calling me asking 'is the Audi still for sale'. They have no interest in buying it, but are very interested in knowing my address and will sell me a list of 'people interested in the car'. Absolute scam and tosh in my book.

I changed the ad to put in the 'no canvassers' bit in for weeks 2 & 3 but still they call. So I started saving the numbers in the mobile to know to avoid them - particularly in business meetings! 'Vehicle Web' again called and their name came up - I answered and was rude and just said 'what part of 'no canvassers' dont you f'in understand'. They then called me repeatedly for the next 15 minutes and I had to switch the phone off to get some peace!! I shouldnt have sworn and was out of order, but I'd had enough and had several times previously told them to delete my name and informed them I was a member of the TPS anti cold calls scheme.

Anything that can be done about this as I have to re-advertise it now and dont know if my blood pressure will cope!!!

D
Old 26 August 2006, 12:35 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Make sure you advertise on pistonheads.

I put my car on there and it sold within 3 days. Didnt get bothered by any canvassers, just by people wanting to view the car.
Old 26 August 2006, 12:39 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Said it before will say it again whenever I get any kind of unsolicited call from ****heads trying to sell me things I just blow a police whistle down the phone. Nothing else every time they ring, they soon stop.
Old 26 August 2006, 02:20 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest is it the new RS4, or the old one?
Old 26 August 2006, 02:27 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

report the companies to the TPS?
Old 26 August 2006, 02:45 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Its the classic RS4 - all 470Lbft of it and 25mpg unlike the lesser thirstier new model

If I have time I'll look to what the TPS say - but may be marginal as I am publishing my number - although also wasting useful selling space in telling them not to bug/fleece me!

D
Old 26 August 2006, 02:47 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

other year when i was selling my scooby i had this problem-so one time i answered and they went blah blah blah etc-i just butted in and said-"i dont want to advertise my vehicle with you"-to which she said " Im not asking you to" so i replied back " what the bloody hell you ringing me for then" and slammed phone down.

Think she got hint then as she never rang me again
Old 26 August 2006, 06:44 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

has anybody reported anybody to the tps yet, i threaten all the time, but i can never be arsed TBH
Old 26 August 2006, 10:31 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

We're on a caller preference list and any calls we get like that we tell them its illegal for them to call us and if they do again we will sue the **** off them. most of them dont call back lmao
Old 26 August 2006, 10:36 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Have had the same issue. One girl couldn't take no for an answer. I had already had 4 calls that day and told her that I was interested and out the phone down. She called back 2 secs later and was really rude and tried to make out she was a interested private buyer.

I hung up again and redialled her number. It was something similar to vehicle web. I had a moan about the girl and the amount of calls and they tried to feed me some BS about their systems never allow them to dial the same number twice. Then they admitted they have over 30 companies calling advertisers on the one system..
Old 26 August 2006, 10:39 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
they tried to feed me some BS about their systems never allow them to dial the same number twice. .
YEP! And I said so how come your company name came up on my phone then!!! They insisted it was my mistake...
Old 26 August 2006, 10:43 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Diesel
YEP! And I said so how come your company name came up on my phone then!!! They insisted it was my mistake...
Yep, I pointed out that the same number or very similar kept phoning and they said it was impossible.. bunch of *******
Old 26 August 2006, 10:53 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Living in the states, we get several cold calls a week, ranging from religious sects to satelite TV to free holidays when you buy a set of steak knifes. Sometimes I entertain them and listein to them. Other times I turn the tables and insist that I want it but am not willing to pay, and when should I expect the item for free, but my new favourite, if I am sat near the PC, is to ask them to hold and then play the great escape theme tune on loop until they hang up!
Old 26 August 2006, 11:50 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

They were on Watchdog i believe.

I made the mistake of advertising with one of the companies a few years back. I'm trying to sell the Scoob at the moment so stuck it in the Trader, i must of had a good 30 calls, each time i tell them i'm not paying £80 for them to sell my car, then the rude ******* hang up.
When they informed me of peoples interested in my car and how they can guarantee a sale, is the point at which i tell them i'm still waiting for them to sell the last car i advertised, they soon go a bit sheepish.