Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2006, 07:26 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travelling by Air??

The good news is the latest plot to blow us up has been foiled

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm

I hope the 18 people caught - if guilty - provide useful information to the authorities. Meanwhile the rest of us need to be aware of new restrictions because of the current security threat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778615.stm

No doubt in a week or so this latest plot will be forgotten (until it comes to court) because it didn't succeed. But it's nice to know that we have people trying to look after us. It's not nice to know that 18 scumbags felt that it was OK to try and blow us up.
Old 10 August 2006, 07:56 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How original, blowing planes up.

Whatever the type of person, might be 35 year old white males, just ban them all from flying !
Old 10 August 2006, 08:07 AM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

reading between the lines - I think the plot was to smuggle the parts onboard through hand luggage and then build the device whilst in the sky. Would appear to be a liquid based explosive due to restrictions on having to taste baby milk before being allowed to take on board.

if they sum parts could be easily hidden, then best bet is to say no to anything in the cabbin.

echo above, good to know we have the intel to catch these before they get to far along...lets hope non slip through the net.
Old 10 August 2006, 08:19 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Just reading a fabulous book about WW2 (The War and Uncle Walter) - it's basically an old guys diaries that he kept from 1939 - 1945. He never had any intention of them being published - they were discovered in his attic long after he died.

Anyway, when you see what people had to put up with on a daily basis -disruption every single day on the roads due to bloody great holes blown in them, neighbourhoods being wiped out over night, never getting a full nights sleep due to air raid warnings, rationing etc. - and they pretty well just got on with it.

We're effectively at war now - and all many people seem to do is whinge about personal freedoms and having to queue a bit longer at the airport. Of course it would be wonderful if everyone in the world was lovely and nice and didn't keep trying to blow each other up - but they do - and it's best we just get used to whatever security precautions are needed to keep us safe.
Old 10 August 2006, 08:24 AM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

I wish, as silly as this sounds, that we were 'at war'. At least then we could 'remove' the threat. Can't say boo to a goose now without the wet lefty civil liberty brigade crying for mommy.

RM
Old 10 August 2006, 08:29 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
We're effectively at war now - and all many people seem to do is whinge about personal freedoms and having to queue a bit longer at the airport. Of course it would be wonderful if everyone in the world was lovely and nice and didn't keep trying to blow each other up - but they do - and it's best we just get used to whatever security precautions are needed to keep us safe.
You're trying to compare a couple of suicide attacks (1 failed) by few f**ked up British Muslims to WW2??

They government can't keep us safe, we've seen that and they have already admitted it will happen again, I'd rather keep a sense of normality rather than being 1 of 60 million people being made to feel like a criminal for trying to lead a normal life. If they want to reduce the risk - pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan.
Old 10 August 2006, 08:32 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

no doubt those 18 will be sueing the state for wrongful arrest and accuse the police of 'heavy-handed' racism whilst having child **** on their computers

Lord Shrek...if 'mr kumar from no42' is in the toliet for over 15 minutes on a flight from the US to the UK Lord Shrek will batter the door down

Last edited by Lord Shrek; 10 August 2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10 August 2006, 08:35 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
You're trying to compare a couple of suicide attacks (1 failed) by few f**ked up British Muslims to WW2??

They government can't keep us safe, we've seen that and they have already admitted it will happen again, I'd rather keep a sense of normality rather than being 1 of 60 million people being made to feel like a criminal for trying to lead a normal life. If they want to reduce the risk - pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan.
No - imagine you missing my point.... I'm suggesting that during WW2 the population put up with far worse for far longer with far less winging.

Though I'm impressed with your optimism - pulling out of Iraq & Afghanistan would reduce the risk? I thought you were a little more realistic than that.
Old 10 August 2006, 08:52 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Sky source: "All those arrested were British Muslims".

Shock. Christ it makes my blood boil. British Muslims. Don't get me started.
Old 10 August 2006, 08:53 AM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy

I'm with you.
Old 10 August 2006, 08:56 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I just have visions of my daughter running up the middle of the plane with no nappy on cause they are banned
Its a sad state of affairs but all credit to action actually being taken.
Old 10 August 2006, 09:00 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by +Doc+
I just have visions of my daughter running up the middle of the plane with no nappy on cause they are banned

You'd certainly know when she drops a bomb then
Old 10 August 2006, 09:08 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
No - imagine you missing my point.... I'm suggesting that during WW2 the population put up with far worse for far longer with far less winging.
And the government are trying to introduce more draconian restrictions now for far less threat. The terrorists have won again today and haven't even got to the airport. Flights are being cancelled all over Europe, massive dissruption and fear, that's what they are about not mass destruction and at the moment the government are playing right in to their hands - Osama and his mates will be loving all this.

Though I'm impressed with your optimism - pulling out of Iraq & Afghanistan would reduce the risk? I thought you were a little more realistic than that.
Not having gone in to Afghanistand and Iraq in the first place would have had the biggest effect. I'm not seeing Russia and China etc being undely worried about Islamic terrorist attacks - are you?
Old 10 August 2006, 09:08 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Heathrow is now closed to incoming flights not already in the air.
Old 10 August 2006, 09:20 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Does anybody actually believe any of this stuff? It's all part of the State led agenda to remove our civil liberties and control our lives.
Old 10 August 2006, 09:20 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Not having gone in to Afghanistand and Iraq in the first place would have had the biggest effect. I'm not seeing Russia and China etc being undely worried about Islamic terrorist attacks - are you?
And the prize for the most stupid comment on Scoobynet goes to you. Do I really need to list the Islamic attacks that have been made against Russia?
Old 10 August 2006, 09:22 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Well Chechen terrorists killed how many kids in Moscow a couple of years ago? And yes, there are suggestions linking Chechen organisations with Al Qaeda...

China may well have a problem but their news is so restricted that we'd never know.

Pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan just tells anyone else who wants us to do something that the best way to influence British foreign policy is through terrorism. How's that going to reduce the threat?

SB
Old 10 August 2006, 09:23 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

And I wonder who China supplies with weapons
Old 10 August 2006, 09:28 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Does anyone not find it an extremely strange coincidence that this happens the very day after the head of the Home Office 'Reid' came out with this:

"The UK might have to modify its freedoms in the short term in order to prevent their "misuse and abuse" by terrorists, John Reid has said.

He conceded that was never an easy request, but it was up to everyone to ask: "What price our security, at what cost can we preserve our freedoms?" The UK faced its "most sustained period of severe threat since the end of World War II", the home secretary warned"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5257518.stm

Sorry, but to me the whole thing stinks of government lies
Old 10 August 2006, 09:31 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

This country always seems a bit dopey at airports,be it checking passports bags or whatever.Airports abroad normally seem far more intimidating.

As for the other points,aaaaaaaaaargh.It's never the Buddhists or Sikhs or Jehavah's or whoever. It's the 'peaceful' ones
Old 10 August 2006, 09:31 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

You're more of a conspiracy theorist than my Dad, UB!

Yes, it's genuine. This is too major a stunt just to force home domestic policy. Trust me.
Old 10 August 2006, 09:32 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

... The terrorists have won again today and haven't even got to the airport. Flights are being cancelled all over Europe, massive dissruption and fear, that's what they are about not mass destruction and at the moment the government are playing right in to their hands - Osama and his mates will be loving all this.
Al Qaeda will take disruption as a result, it's true, but make no mistake. Their objective is mass destruction and huge loss of life. Al Qaeda make the Provos look like slightly truculent teenagers, and we underestimate just how bloody their intentions are at our peril.

SB
Old 10 August 2006, 09:41 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
And the prize for the most stupid comment on Scoobynet goes to you. Do I really need to list the Islamic attacks that have been made against Russia?
No. The prize for the most stupid comment on Scoobynet goes to post #18 in this thread.
Old 10 August 2006, 09:43 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Sbradley
Their objective is mass destruction and huge loss of life.
Wrong.................. the 'objective' is fear and terror, and the methods used are those most likely to cause fear and terror..... which are 'mass destruction' and 'huge loss of life' that's all......
Old 10 August 2006, 09:45 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Wrong.................. the 'objective' is fear and terror, and the methods used are those most likely to cause fear and terror..... which are 'mass destruction' and 'huge loss of life' that's all......
Hello

I'm not sure that is the case here. The IRA's purpose was to cause mass fear and/or disruption. It looks as though these people wish to kill otherwise suicide bombers wouldn't be used.

Steve
Old 10 August 2006, 09:45 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy

Give it a minute, and Rabid will be along defending them !!

Goes back to the other thread "What Muslims want"? To Blow up our planes, that's what.

Oh, yes, forgot. It's only a small minority isn't it? We should just ignore them then
Old 10 August 2006, 09:49 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Aparently, you can't take a book on board ??? Surely it's easy to check if a book carried by a family going on there summer holiday is a bomb. Take the book and flick through the pages. If a bomb doesn't fall out, it's a safe bet to say there's no bomb. So why ban books ?? Suppose you could always batter the Pilot to death with it !!

Quick Reply: Travelling by Air??